Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 12-14-2008, 03:54 PM   #1
Banana
Banned

Default Angry Iraqi throws shoes at Bush in Baghdad

Quote:
(CNN) -- President Bush made a farewell visit Sunday to Baghdad, Iraq, where he met with Iraqi leaders and was targeted by an angry Iraqi man, who jumped up and threw shoes at Bush during a news conference.
Security personnel surround President Bush after an Iraqi threw his shoes at him in Baghdad Sunday.

Security personnel surround President Bush after an Iraqi threw his shoes at him in Baghdad Sunday.
Click to view previous image
3 of 3
Click to view next image

Among Muslims, throwing shoes at someone, or sitting so that the bottom of a shoe faces another person, is considered an insult.

The man was dragged out screaming after throwing the shoes. Bush ducked, and the shoes, thrown one at a time, sailed past his head during the news conference with Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki in his palace in the heavily fortified Green Zone.

As the man continued to scream from another room, Bush said: "That was a size 10 shoe he threw at me, you may want to know."

Bush had been lauding the conclusion of the security pact with Iraq as journalists looked on.

Bush landed at Baghdad International Airport on Sunday and traveled by helicopter to meet with President Jalal Talabani and his two vice presidents at Talabani's palace outside the Green Zone.

It marked the first time he has been outside the heavily fortified Green Zone in Baghdad without being on a military base.

The visit was Bush's fourth since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq in March 2003.

Afterward, Talabani praised his U.S. counterpart as a "great friend for the Iraqi people" and the man "who helped us to liberate our country and to reach this day, which we have democracy, human rights, and prosperity gradually in our country." Video Watch President Bush and Iraq's president walk the red carpet »

Talabani said he and Bush, who is slated to leave office next month, had spoken "very frankly and friendly" and expressed the hope that the two would remain friends even "back in Texas."

For his part, Bush said he had come to admire Talabani and his vice presidents "for their courage and for their determination to succeed."

As the U.S. and Iraqi national anthems played and Iraqi troops looked on, he and the Iraqi president walked along a red carpet.
Don't Miss

* Iraq gives final OK to U.S. pullout plan
* Blackwater prosecutors meet with Iraqis
* Ex-Blackwater guards charged with manslaughter

Bush's trip was to celebrate the conclusion of the security pact with Iraq, called the Strategic Framework Agreement and the Status of Forces Agreement, the White House said.

Bush called the passage of the pact "a way forward to help the Iraqi people realize the blessings of a free society."

Bush said the work "hasn't been easy, but it has been necessary for American security, Iraqi hope, and world peace."
advertisement

In remarks to reporters, National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley, who traveled with Bush, described the situation in Iraq as "in a transition."

"For the first time in Iraq's history and really the first time in the region, you have Sunni, Shia and Kurds working together in a democratic framework to chart a way forward for their country," he said.
Angry Iraqi throws shoes at Bush in Baghdad - CNN.com

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/WO...ush.afp.gi.jpghttp://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/WO...man.afp.gi.jpghttp://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2008/WO...owd.afp.gi.jpg

Need video of this.

Old 12-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

The video's here: BBC NEWS | World | Middle East | Shoes thrown at Bush on Iraq trip

Shame he missed.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

For those too lazy to click through to another page.

You gotta give it to him, that was some pretty good shucking and jiving.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
better than new
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm impressed that he didn't hide behind the podium or something. Too bad he didn't break Bush's nose though.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:44 PM   #5
rolmos
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jesus View Post

Shame he missed.
It truly is a shame. The comedic potential was enormous. I guess reporters will have to attend press conferences behind thick glass now.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
???
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass View Post
For those too lazy to click through to another page.

You gotta give it to him, that was some pretty good shucking and jiving.

bahaha

bring back rep

Old 12-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
foxtrot2000
Demi-God

the cat's got good reflexes. He still should aimed lower though.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:11 PM   #8
Mablak
Minion of Satan

Location: Well, if it isn't my old friend, Mr. McGreg, with a leg for an arm and an arm for a leg!

Man I can't stop watching that. I look forward to various parodies of this incident, possibly by SNL. Throwing shoes at Bush should be made into a game.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Among Muslims, throwing shoes at someone... ...is considered an insult.
What a strange culture. I don't feel insulted at all when someone throws shoes at my head.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:04 PM   #10
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

The guy fucked it up by shouting as he was about to launch the first shoe. If he'd kept his yap shut until it was in flight I'm pretty sure he would have scored a direct hit.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by T&T View Post
Like Andyslash and Ravenguy said, Bush smirking is great.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:08 PM   #12
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

That smirk is the kind of smirk toddlers have when they're shitting their nappies.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:09 PM   #13
dudehitscar
Apocalyptic Poster

oliver stone now regrets making his movie before the end of Bush's reign.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #14
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

He should have thrown a chair

Old 12-15-2008, 12:08 AM   #15
Ol' Couch Ass
Socialphobic

My eternal admiration for anyone who can turn that animated gif into an av.... especially just the shoe whizzing past his head and then the smirk. I'm stuck at work for the next 24 hours and we don't have any gif software on these POS.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 AM   #16
jczeroman

Dude. You have to admit that Bush looks like kind of a tough mo fo there. He ducks and then totally stares the guy down. I mean it could have been a bomb or something for all he knows and he just stands back up and faces the guy down.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:54 AM   #17
severin
no more than sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
Dude. You have to admit that Bush looks like kind of a tough mo fo there. He ducks and then totally stares the guy down. I mean it could have been a bomb or something for all he knows and he just stands back up and faces the guy down.
makes you think, huh?

Old 12-15-2008, 10:37 AM   #18
Toast
Apocalyptic Poster

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...ht/2vxq3v9.gif

Old 12-15-2008, 11:36 AM   #19
The Jesus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Pakula View Post
He should have thrown a chair

If you ever hold a conference about the future of Netphoria there will be an avalanche of shoes coming in your direction.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:16 PM   #20
foxtrot2000
Demi-God

George Bush is a heck of a guy, not only did he dodge the two shoes but he also dodged the questions about it.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:14 PM   #21
carapatricia
Apocalyptic Poster

its about time this happened.

too bad its just a shoe.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #22
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
God Bless the Internet.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #23
TicalFSU
When I travel to the Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Couch Ass View Post
My eternal admiration for anyone who can turn that animated gif into an av.... especially just the shoe whizzing past his head and then the smirk. I'm stuck at work for the next 24 hours and we don't have any gif software on these POS.
http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~rk2o/omgshoes.gif

Last edited by TicalFSU : 12-16-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...oes-avatar.gif

Old 12-15-2008, 11:37 PM   #25
Shallowed
Braindead

I jeust noticed the dude to the right of him trying to block the second shoe with his hand.

http://www.soccer-training-guide.com...cer-goalie.jpg

Old 12-15-2008, 11:44 PM   #26
Starla

i'm impressed with bush's reflexes

Old 12-16-2008, 04:02 AM   #27
severin
no more than sympathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
i'm impressed with bush's reflexes
see, that's why i think this is a set-up. the guy not just simply throws the shoe, but yells at length befor he does so. normally there'd be at least 2 of bush's security guys pinning down the guy with the shoe and 2 others blocking bush himself with seconds. then he gets to throw the shoe, but bush, contrary to any security procedure (and human instinct) does not leave the area, but sports extraordinary good reflexes for a guy his age and jokes about the matter. security at his place? nowhere to be seen. this shoe could've been anything...and the outcome? whole of america is amused and gves bush credit for being a badass and having good reflexes, he goes out on a high note...i smell a rat

Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 AM   #28
redbull
Immortal

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ushpokemon.gif

Old 12-16-2008, 05:36 AM   #29
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by severin View Post
see, that's why i think this is a set-up. the guy not just simply throws the shoe, but yells at length befor he does so. normally there'd be at least 2 of bush's security guys pinning down the guy with the shoe and 2 others blocking bush himself with seconds. then he gets to throw the shoe, but bush, contrary to any security procedure (and human instinct) does not leave the area, but sports extraordinary good reflexes for a guy his age and jokes about the matter. security at his place? nowhere to be seen. this shoe could've been anything...and the outcome? whole of america is amused and gves bush credit for being a badass and having good reflexes, he goes out on a high note...i smell a rat
My conspiratorial instincts agree with you.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:35 PM   #30
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by severin View Post
No. The security at that location was reported as being about as tight as humanly possible. Everyone present would have had to have known that it couldn't have been much more than a shoe and wasn't going to be anything life threatening.

and how would an Iraqi throwing a shoe at him because of how much the Iraqi people want the United States to stop meddling in their country make Bush go out on a high note? this makes no sense whatsoever.