Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #1
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Default MN recounts

Magically found ballots in trunks of cars, possible voter fraud, etc

Minnesotans, tell us what you think about this.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

i forget did you call people whiners when votes in ohio magically disappeared in '04

Old 11-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #3
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

also describe said MN voter fraud

Old 11-13-2008, 09:06 PM   #4
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

p.s. are you getting this from hannity or drudge

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #5
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

p.p.s.

Quote:
But as MinnPost’s David Brauer reported yesterday: the story of the 32 absentee ballots is flat wrong. He called up Minneapolis election director Cindy Reichert to get the facts. She (Pawlenty during two Fox appearances in as many days called her “he”) attests the car-ballot story is “just not true”: She never had the ballots in her car — nor were they in anyone’s car for several days — and they were kept in secure facilities between election day and vote counting. It was Coleman’s attorney, Fritz Knaak, who told reporters, “We were actually told ballots had been riding around in her car for several days, which raised all kinds of integrity questions.” From there, the Wall Street Journal picked up on it and reported it as fact; similar to Hannity’s on-screen graphic (shown above), the error appeared in a story headlined “Mischief in Minnesota?”

But according to Brauer, Hannity is wrong on another count: “every one of” those 32 ballots did not go to Franken. Franken won half, 18, seven were cast for Coleman, and the remainder went to other candidates.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Nimrod's Son

dude i said "possible" and then asked for the people from MN who post here to provide the local information

also this was on MSNBC and CNN last night, the most right-wing sources there are

Old 11-13-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
Nimrod's Son

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan patrick View Post
But according to Brauer, Hannity is wrong on another count: “every one of” those 32 ballots did not go to Franken. Franken won half, 18, seven were cast for Coleman, and the remainder went to other candidates.
math is hard

Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
ryan patrick
Apocalyptic Poster

i see what they did there

Old 11-13-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
Andy /

Over the last week the differential has decreased from 750 or so votes in favor of Coleman to 206 in favor of Coleman last I checked. I don't get the impression that anything is wrong; people are just finding errors. Coleman initially said that he trusts the process; then, when the majority of results started favoring Franken, that's when he changed tone. \

It does seem they're making a bigger deal of these discrepancies nationally than they are here. That's just my perception. Our Secretary of State seems to have his shit together and the process will likely go smoothly as far as that goes.

I expect the recount will be contentious with both sides doing their best to create controversy when possible; that's just the way this race seems to have gone.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:34 PM   #10
Nimrod's Son

i would laugh that you people would really elect al fucking franken as a senator, but hell look at our governor

Old 11-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
Andy /

We elected Jesse Ventura, man. Franken's nothing.

Old 11-13-2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Nimrod's Son

touche

Old 11-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #13
Andy /

Oh, here's some awesome news from today

Quote:
The latest twist in Minnesota's U.S. Senate recount came this morning, when the Al Franken campaign hit Ramsey County with a lawsuit, seeking the names of voters whose absentee ballots were rejected.

The DFLer's campaign hopes to force counties across the state to cough up the lists of rejected voters who, if later found eligible, could tip the balance in the closest Senate race in the country, between Fanken and incumbent Repubilcan U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman.

Marc Elias, lead recount attorney for the Franken campaign, said that both Ramsey and Hennepin counties had already rejected its request, forcing the campaign to take legal action.

Elias said the campaign has already learned of one woman, an 84-year-old Beltrami stroke victim, whose absentee ballot was disqualified because her signature no longer matched that on her pre-stroke voter registration card.

"The state may not devise a regime where a woman, because she had a stroke, does not have the right to vote," Elias said, at a news conference at Franken headquarters this morning to announce the lawsuit.

Ramsey County's election chief is named as the defendant. Darwin Lookingbill, director of the county attorney's civil division, said the law provides access to the list of all those who voted absentee, but it doesn't require officials to break the roster down for those who had a ballot rejected.

Secretary of State Mark Ritchie had said on Wednesday that the state would not consider such ballots as it begins a massive effort to recount by hand all of the 2.9 million votes cast in last week's election. The 206 votes that now give a narrow lead to Coleman is the closest race in the country and has sparked a massive influx of attention, money and lawyers, who are descending on the state.

Elias said the Franken campaign alone will deploy 1,250 recount volunteers _ including 250 lawyers_ across the state as part of its recount effort. He did not say whether the campaign was planning a court strategy, but Ritchie has already said that the issue of disqualified ballots could be resolved only in court.

If the lists were made available to the two campaigns, Minnesotans could see a situation in which absentee voters were contacted one by one by the campaigns in an attempt to determine whether the votes should have been counted.

"The only way we can ensure people were not disenfranchised is to check the lists," Elias said.

Elias said the campaign would attempt to persuade the newly impaneled state Canvassing Board that it should count rejected absentee ballots where eligibility has been confirmed.

A previous attempt last week by the Franken campaign to get Hennepin County to ******* 461 rejected absentee ballots in its vote totals failed last week.

Coleman campaign manager Cullen Sheehan called the lawsuit "a new low," and said the Franken campaign was "shamelessly trying to strong-arm local officials into counting invalid ballots."

Sheehan said he had "grave concerns" that any release of individual names could lead to "harassment" of voters . Sheehan said the Coleman campaign would be urging court officials to maintain voter privacy.

I have confidence the state will do things right. I don't have any faith that Coleman and/or Franken will sit tight while they do.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 PM   #14
Nimrod's Son

I still don't understand why they'd let Franken supply volunteers and lawyers to do the recount themselves. Seems a bit.. unethical.

Old 11-13-2008, 10:26 PM   #15
Andy /

Where'd you see that?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #16
Nimrod's Son

"Elias said the Franken campaign alone will deploy 1,250 recount volunteers _ including 250 lawyers_ across the state as part of its recount effort."

Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
Andy /

They didn't report Coleman's numbers; I'm sure Coleman would be at least close to matching that. It's not like those are the only people in the process, I mean.

There's this for some potential clarificaton:

Quote:
Minnesota won't know who won the contested U.S. Senate race until at least mid-December, but now the final arbiters for the recount have been named.

They ******* a cast of heavy-hitters topped by Minnesota Supreme Court Chief Justice Eric Magnuson, a former law partner of Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty, three other high-ranking judges and Secretary of State Mark Ritchie, a DFLer, who made the selections Wednesday.

The freshly appointed state Canvassing Board will be charged with certifying vote totals Tuesday and, more important, settling differences over disputed ballots once local officials complete their recount.

The resolution of those disputed ballots may decide the winner of the closest Senate contest in the country, although a court challenge may still be in the offing.

For now, the grittiest, most challenging work will begin next Wednesday morning, when auditors, clerks, lawyers and volunteers gather in 120 locations across the state to methodically sort ballots, with lawyers from both campaigns at their elbows, in a process expected to last at least until Dec. 5.

Recount junkies will be able to view updates daily on a website the secretary of state's office will construct, and all recounts will be conducted in public places.

By Dec. 16, Ritchie said, the Canvassing Board -- which also includes Supreme Court Justice G. Barry Anderson, Ramsey County District Chief Judge Kathleen Gearin and Ramsey Assistant Chief Judge Edward Cleary -- will start ruling on challenged ballots one by one, in favor of either Republican Sen. Norm Coleman or Democratic challenger Al Franken. Votes for other candidates will not be included in the recount, and ballots where no voter intent can be determined will be set aside.

Ritchie said that, however long it takes, the recount will not be rushed. Whatever is produced, he said, has to be "absolutely, exactly correct."

In a detailed news conference to discuss the recount process, Ritchie also was forced to defend himself against GOP accusations that he is too partisan to oversee such a politically delicate task.

Coleman campaign manager Cullen Sheehan accused Ritchie on Wednesday of taking sides in the recount dispute by going on television and talking about the campaign's "win-at-all-costs" mentality. Ritchie said his remarks were not aimed specifically at the Coleman campaign.

"I feel like campaigns ... have a winner-take-all, win-at-any-price point of view," Ritchie said. "That's the opposite of election administrators." The recount process, he said, "happens to have a lot of emotion to it, but it doesn't change our job, which is determining the intent of citizens who chose to participate in this election."

Ritchie has been the target of GOP fire ever since Coleman's lead began dwindling last week. What started as a 725-vote lead over Franken on the morning after the election shriveled in ensuing days and now stands at 206 votes out of 2.9 million cast.

Boosting public confidence

Ritchie is not the only secretary of state to feel heat in a close race. Ever since Florida's Katherine Harris found her career nearly buried by the hanging chads of that state's infamous 2000 presidential recount, secretaries of state have come under increased scrutiny.

The secretary of state is the chief election official in 37 of the 50 states, said Kay Stimson, a spokeswoman for the National Association of Secretaries of State in Washington, D.C. All are affiliated with political parties, but there are various wrinkles. In Florida, Pennsylvania and Texas, secretaries of state are political appointees, Stimson said. In Maine and New Hampshire, they're elected by legislators. In Alaska, Hawaii and Utah, the lieutenant governor oversees elections. And in Wisconsin, a nonpartisan chief election official oversees elections.

Stimson said a number of states have looked for ways to heighten public confidence in the wake of Florida and 2000. Colorado, for instance, bars the secretary of state from participating in political activities, and secretaries of state in some states have stopped serving on political committees and endorsing candidates.

Only valid ballots

One thing that won't change the Minnesota recount is any dispute over rejected absentee ballots. Ritchie said Wednesday that the Franken campaign's request last week to have 461 such ballots counted in Hennepin County can be resolved only in court, not by recount officials.

Ritchie said the recount will review only valid ballots cast, to determine voter intent. Absentee voters whose ballots were rejected can go to their county auditor, he said, or go to court themselves.

Ballot security will be tight, he said, but will be determined by the state's 87 counties. Some ballots will have to be transported to central locations for counting, he said, and local officials will be responsible for carrying out security measures prescribed by law.

Local officials will meet with Ritchie's staff today for additional training in recount procedures and some will have days to prepare. The enormous recount has sent local officials scrambling for volunteers and resources in the days leading up to the holiday season, resulting in some delays.

Sherburne County, for instance, won't begin its Senate recount until Nov. 25, two days before Thanksgiving. Auditor/treasurer Diane Arnold said that was the soonest she could get the county's board room, where a dozen officials will have to count 45,000 ballots before they can even think about turkey.

Arnold said this is her first election cycle as auditor. "This is major," she said. "I'm just taking it one step at a time."

Is she a little nervous?

"Aren't we all?" she asked, laughing.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #18
Andrew_Pakula
Fine! I'll go make my own
web site. With Blackjack,
and Hookers... Actually,
forget the web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
I still don't understand why they'd let Franken supply volunteers and lawyers to do the recount themselves. Seems a bit.. unethical.
As I mentioned in another thread I still don't understand why America doesn't have an independent neutral agency that oversees the election process. It really doesn't make any sense to me that partisan people from either party are allowed to count ballots and run the process.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:39 PM   #19
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
is that really what you gathered from that? the franken campaign gets to decide who counts the votes? wtf?

Old 11-14-2008, 10:30 AM   #20
Caine Walker
Braindead

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Pakula View Post
As I mentioned in another thread I still don't understand why America doesn't have an independent neutral agency that oversees the election process. It really doesn't make any sense to me that partisan people from either party are allowed to count ballots and run the process.
there is no such thing as "independent" or "neutral" in american politics.

Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
is that really what you gathered from that? the franken campaign gets to decide who counts the votes? wtf?
It really wouldn't surprise me considering the moveon and ACORN-rich history of the Secretary of State.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:53 PM   #22
Nimrod's Son

SO the MN Supreme Court ruled unanimously for Franken. It's time for Coleman to concede and Pawlenty to seat him.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #23
Luke's Wall
Pledge

Yeah just what we need is another radical far-left nutjob in the Senate.

What on earth is wrong with the people in Minnesota who voted for this fool? He was funny as a comedy writer. He will not be so funny as a Senator voting on things that affect us all.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 PM   #24
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke's Wall View Post
Yeah just what we need is another radical far-left nutjob in the Senate.

What on earth is wrong with the people in Minnesota who voted for this fool? He was funny as a comedy writer. He will not be so funny as a Senator voting on things that affect us all.

If Norm Coleman lost to Al Franken, it is entirely the fault of the GOP. Franken is a competent individual, but even I figured, despite the political climate favoring Democrats by default, that Franken would be the easiest to beat last year. He still won.

Maybe if the GOP could stop being hijacked by a bunch of fundamentalist retards who think tax cuts and fear mongering is the answer to success, you wouldn't have to witness your party imploding on a daily basis.

60 votes. I hope Obama pushes through his health care agenda like there's no tomorrow.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:41 PM   #25
Nimrod's Son

Tax cuts are the answer to a lot, but not everything.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #26
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

Let your fellow Republican dickheads know that.

You shouldn't be getting a significant tax cut unless you are low/middle class. Period.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
Toast
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh good, we get another smarmy know it all in the senate and any onus that existed for bi-partisanship is gone.

I GUESS EVERYONE WINS.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:05 PM   #28
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gish08 View Post
Let your fellow Republican dickheads know that.

You shouldn't be getting a significant tax cut unless you are low/middle class. Period.
Fellow?

I'm a registered Libertarian who voted for Obama. There are more than two parties you know.

Oh, and as for tax cuts, a large part of the reason California is going bankrupt is because it's the poster child for the "tax the rich" mentality. Works great until the rich start leaving the state, businesses move out, and the economy hits a snag.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #29
Gish08
Apocalyptic Poster

You reluctantly voted for Obama. It's quite obvious given your posting.

Tax the rich across the board (i.e. EVERY STATE) so they can't jump ship.

I'm tired of rich folks assfucking the system.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:21 PM   #30
Nimrod's Son

Yes I said blatantly that I reluctantly voted for Obama. I voted for Badnarik before that. How does that make someone "a Republican"?

How exactly are "rich folks assfucking the system" again? Because if you mean because they have better stuff than other people, it's because they're rich. Really it's starting to sound like you simply want full redistribution of all wealth to everyone equally.

Are you in favor of a communist America?