Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #31
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

No it fucking isn't. Especially not with Gus. You quit that alternative fact bullshitting right now, rod.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:43 PM   #32
fuzzyroes
Banned

Finally got around to watching the finale. Are you guys sure Chucks dead? Yeah, he burned down the house, but I don't think it should be necessarily presumed that he continued to sit there and burn to death.

It's possible that he burned it to the ground because he was so obsessed about not knowing what was keeping the electricity meter running. I mean the house was literally destructed when they show him kicking over the lantern.

Old 06-27-2017, 03:16 PM   #33
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...at-amc-1017090

took a little longer than usual but it's coming back.

Better Call Saul typically earns an early renewal. That wasn't the case this season as negotiations took longer than expected given the executive shuffling at both AMC (where Joel Stillerman exited for Hulu) and Sony Pictures Television (where co-presidents Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht left for Apple and a new SPE CEO was brought in).

Old 06-28-2017, 05:39 PM   #34
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Finally got around to watching the finale. Are you guys sure Chucks dead? Yeah, he burned down the house, but I don't think it should be necessarily presumed that he continued to sit there and burn to death.

It's possible that he burned it to the ground because he was so obsessed about not knowing what was keeping the electricity meter running. I mean the house was literally destructed when they show him kicking over the lantern.
Yeah...I mean... he didn't exactly look like he was too keen to go on living, let alone get up from his seat. I am 99.99% sure he is dead.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 PM   #35
fuzzyroes
Banned

They didn't show his reaction once the lantern fell to the ground. It's possible he wanted to kill himself but could have easily ran out an exit once the fire was set ablaze.

Someone mentioned a suicide hotline being displayed after the scene? There was no such thing out here in Canada

Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 PM   #36
Shallowed
Braindead

shut the fuck up, fuzzy

Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 PM   #37
fuzzyroes
Banned

I've ignored the above user... Is it something worth seeing? I'm gonna gamble that it's not.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:44 PM   #38
buzzard
Minion of Satan

It's entirely possible that Chuck didn't die, but it's harder to see how his survival could benefit the story.

Plus, they teased his death so hard that it seemed far more a case of when than if.

Old 06-28-2017, 10:50 PM   #39
fuzzyroes
Banned

Very good points. But I can't see the character that they built in Chuck just willingly burn to death.

Like seemingly everyone, I assumed his death would happen accidentally, but as we all know, nothing happens in the Breaking Bad universe as we would expect. So even if Chucks dead, there's probably gonna be some sensational twist to it all. No way it's gonna be as simple as, he kicked over a lantern, sat there, and burned to death.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:07 PM   #40
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

How did you find out about this story arc?

Michael McKean: We were right in the middle of shooting Episode 305, maybe. I got a call from the boys, Vince and Peter. I kind of figured out that eventually… We needed a crushing way for Jimmy to leave the planet and be replaced by Saul Goodman. I knew I was going to be a catalyst in that particular revolution. I was expecting it someday. When it came, it made sense to me as far as storytelling goes.

I’ve come to trust these two guys. I did already because I was a big Breaking Bad fan. Every time they pulled some stuff on me that left me and my fellow viewers rocking back on their heels. It’s what we’ve come to expect from Vince and Peter and the rest of the gang. I knew I’d be sad to leave the company. But I haven’t really left it. Like I said, I admire their tale-spinning skills.

I was surprised that it was something they decided on this late?

Michael McKean: Peter told me it was something they kind of kept at arm’s length. We have a very nice working relationship and everyone respects one another. They knew they’d have to face it someday and they found the right time for it. I haven’t seen the episode but I understand it worked pretty well. That’s a question for Vince and Peter really.

And just to make it clear, you didn’t play this with the idea that Chuck ends up in the burn unit and Jimmy’s donating plasma? This is a final exit, right?

Michael McKean: Yeah. I think the other way is kind of soapy. You could have the guy in the burn ward and when you take off the bandages it could be another actor. They did that on Dynasty I think.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:17 PM   #41
fuzzyroes
Banned

Pretty weak, anti-climatic way for Chuck to die if that's true. Just sitting in a La-Z-Boy and kicking over a lantern.

I'm frankly a little underwhelmed with Better Call Saul as a series.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:18 PM   #42
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's not that it isn't good for what it is, but it's just certainly a massive downgrade from the excitement that Breaking Bad created.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:21 PM   #43
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Chuck's hamartia is his pride and it'd be all too fitting if his final act was to destroy the home that would otherwise serve as irrefutable proof of his complete nervous breakdown, sooner electing to burn with it than finally come to terms with his illness and the fact that his life had fallen apart.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:22 PM   #44
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Pretty weak, anti-climatic way for Chuck to die if that's true. Just sitting in a La-Z-Boy and kicking over a lantern.

I'm frankly a little underwhelmed with Better Call Saul as a series.
exactly lol I always think like that too im so picky about cleanliness and food I never eat cheese ball lol who wants to eat something someone's rolled in their hands and every baby shower birthday or holiday someone makes them lol yuck
Show less

Old 06-28-2017, 11:27 PM   #45
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Chuck's hamartia is his pride and it'd be all too fitting if his final act was to destroy the home that would otherwise serve as irrefutable proof of his complete nervous breakdown, sooner electing to burn with it than finally come to terms with his illness and the fact that his life had fallen apart.
Perhaps. But it would make more sense if he kicked over the lantern, the fire spreads and then he shoots himself in the head or something. Nobody commits suicide by burning down an area and just willingly sits there. It goes against all of the basic human instincts. It's unrealistic and too simplistic for the lore of the BB universe.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:36 PM   #46
buzzard
Minion of Satan

If he'd shot himself in the head, they would find a bullet in a charred skull and write it up as a suicide. He'd just spent three entire seasons of the show doing absolutely everything in his power to hide any signs of weakness or self-doubt and so it'd be more than a little out of character to end things with what he'd likely view as an open admission of failure.

I don't know why you're talking about human instinct and realistic behavioural patterns when the guy spent his time on screen suffering psychosomatic pain from proximity to electric current. Are we watching the same show?

Old 06-28-2017, 11:43 PM   #47
fuzzyroes
Banned

I agree with what your saying. But even if someones completely and utterly determined to kill themselves, they won't willingly sit and be burned alive. It's human instinct that they'd go running. With suicide, even if you have a few seconds to second guess yourself you'll usually chicken out. Especially when it comes to an extreme death like burning alive.

I don't doubt that in the new season, they'll begin with some CGI scene of Chuck trying to escape with the ceiling collapsing in and shit.

I dunno. I was enamored with Breaking Bad. I just don't think the writing is nearly as strong in the spin-off... I shouldn't be surprised though, it never is.

Old 06-28-2017, 11:46 PM   #48
buzzard
Minion of Satan

http://i.imgur.com/wxKivon.jpg?1

Old 06-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #49
fuzzyroes
Banned

Not to totally shit on it. It's a good show and worth watching... Just a bit of a downgrade creatively from Breaking Bad

Old 06-28-2017, 11:48 PM   #50
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
Chucks no Buddhist Monk lol

Old 06-29-2017, 12:43 AM   #51
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
I agree with what your saying. But even if someones completely and utterly determined to kill themselves, they won't willingly sit and be burned alive. It's human instinct that they'd go running. With suicide, even if you have a few seconds to second guess yourself you'll usually chicken out. Especially when it comes to an extreme death like burning alive.

I don't doubt that in the new season, they'll begin with some CGI scene of Chuck trying to escape with the ceiling collapsing in and shit.

I dunno. I was enamored with Breaking Bad. I just don't think the writing is nearly as strong in the spin-off... I shouldn't be surprised though, it never is.
while it isn't usual for someone to burn themselves to death, it isn't that unusual for people to do it, or similar things such as stab themselves to death. chuck doesn't want anyone to know how he destroyed the house. that is a humiliation too much for him. and he doesn't want to continue suffering from something he knows is psychosomatic. now people can think it was an accident.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:05 PM   #52
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
fuzzy, really. I don't think you're watching the same show as the rest of us.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:39 PM   #53
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

seriously. while they may show chuck having a second thought for a split second or something, there's not going to be some CGI escaping thing. lol

Old 06-30-2017, 09:32 PM   #54
fuzzyroes
Banned

Lol, perhaps that isn't exactly the picture I was trying to convey. But we all know in the BB universe that things never happen simply as we expect. There's probably going to be some kind of twist or angle, even if it is just him having second thoughts or trying to escape or something like that.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #55
buzzard
Minion of Satan

I can't be the only person that absolutely hates it when internal consistency is referred to as a "universe."

The Breaking Bad Universe™ is just plain old Earth with a hypothetical chicken restaurant. The fact that the writing has surprised you at various points in no way establishes a rule.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:49 PM   #56
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Lol, perhaps that isn't exactly the picture I was trying to convey. But we all know in the BB universe that things never happen simply as we expect. There's probably going to be some kind of twist or angle, even if it is just him having second thoughts or trying to escape or something like that.
I think you're reaching a bit. On Breaking Bad, when someone died, it was made pretty clear they were dead and they stayed that way. I don't recall zombie Hank showing up in the finale to save the day.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #57
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Remember the time that season four opened with a CGI scene of Gale not being shot in the face?

Old 07-02-2017, 11:54 AM   #58
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

To be fair, I wasn't entirely convinced Jesse had shot Gale. The camera moved every so slightly when he pulled the trigger that for the next year and a half (!) I was half-convinced he didn't kill Gale.

Old 07-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #59
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
so what did you dudes think of season 3

fuckin' chuck, eh? that sequence with him destroying his house was amazing
really creepy in an understated sort of way

this show is much more subtle and understated than BB.

It's ambiguous who the "good guy" even is. Howard was apparently a dick, but he's the most morally consistent character on the show even if he has a douchey demeanor. Chuck was fuckin evil sometimes but also pretty mentally ill... and Jimmy, well... that thing with the old lady was truly terrible.

My favorite part of the season was Gus frantically giving CPR to Hector because he wants to kill him himself. At least I assume that's why. Or he just really wants to maintain the status quo with the cartel to fulfill his master plan and he's so cool he cna shelve his thing with HEctor and pretend like he doesn't hate his ass. REgarless I loled

Old 07-02-2017, 11:28 PM   #60
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Quote:
every BB cliffhanger was not a misdirect - what was presented actually happened (the plane crash happened, Jesse shot Gale, Walt killed Gus, Hank found out who WW was). There's always speculation about the season enders but the writers don't intentionally deceive unless there's explicit evidence planted for a misdirect, i.e. when Walt poisoned Brock there are many little clues because VG doesn't think it's fair to lie to the viewer

they might show him burn to death, but based on what we saw there's no evidence he'll suddenly stop being insane and run out of the house