Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > Music News and Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #31
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Funny capsule review I read awhile back about Tomorrow's Modern Boxes

Quote:
"Remember when Thom Yorke songs had guitars, and weren’t a series of blips and bleeps? Remember when Thom Yorke didn’t have a ponytail? Remember when Thom Yorke wasn’t in a sideproject with a Red Hot Chilli Pepper? Hey man, that’s awesome you “stuck it to the man” by releasing this wanna-be Aphex Twin album on bit-torrent… too bad it sucks!"

Old 04-15-2016, 08:52 PM   #32
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far

I just realized that I still haven't listened to Tomorrow's Modern Boxes.

Most of his side-project stuff doesn't sound super different from Radiohead. Atoms for Peace was, like, funkier Radiohead, I guess. You can hear the difference, but if it were released as a Radiohead album, I wouldn't say "this sounds like a different band," I'd just say "oh I guess this is the style of this album because all of them are a little different."

The Eraser was pretty Radiohead-ish, I'm guessing the reason it was a solo thing was because Yorke made it all on his laptop, so it would be weird to put the entire band's name on it.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:55 PM   #33
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic

i actually liked the bloopy stuff and King of Limbs quite a bit, i think it has some great moments - but i just hope they swing for the fences this time, rather than insist on limiting themselves to unseen parameters and not showing their splendor. spectre was great. but either way, i'm really curious to see where they go went this time, and that's something you can say about very very few bands these days

Old 04-15-2016, 09:11 PM   #34
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster

I hope it has moments like in Airbag where the dry magisterial riff and its wet perverted twin recede, leaving chemtrails, and there's no sound left on the whole dark earth but a gigantic set of sleigh bells, chiming undaunted a jazz funeral for every christmas, before the next, even spookier verse begins

Old 04-18-2016, 02:10 AM   #35
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
BTW, this thread should be in the music board

MODS: plz move or delete
This.

Also, I agree - the description makes me nervous. Had it been "this thing is the greatest album they've done in a long time" that would be one thing, but the quote could lead one to believe it's even another step out there from TKOL.

Old 04-18-2016, 04:00 AM   #36
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far

I didn't think King of Limbs was that weird or out-there for a Radiohead album.

Haven't listened to it for a little while, but wasn't most of it more melodic than Kid A/Amnesiac? I don't remember anything like "Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors" or "Treefingers."

Also, since Radiohead's thing is to just drop albums without much announcement, does anybody else have a suspicion that the manager said "June" so that they could surprise everybody by releasing it like next week or something?

Old 04-18-2016, 04:34 AM   #37
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic

i can't quite put my finger on what makes King of Limbs underwhelming, but it very much is.
i've grown to really like that record - there's some great stuff on there. but something about the way it's produced, maybe, sounds very small, unremarkable, and tinny.

it definitely felt like much more of a Yorke solo record than other Radiohead albums - especially considering the best song on the album was him with a looper pedal. for better or worse (probably better), this upcoming one sounds like much more of a group effort.

Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 AM   #38
Elphenor
Socialphobic

KoL is only better than Pablo Honey for me but I liked it a lot

Old 04-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #39
redbreegull
Immortal

KoL has some good tracks on it, but overall it doesn't sound to me like it has much overarching vision compared to the majesty of In Rainbows. It sounds more like the band recorded some songs in a few weeks and threw em together on one album regardless of how they fit together.

It's definitely not as experimental or bleep bleep bloop as Kid A or Amnesiac, but I agree with teh b0lly that it sounds small. I'm kind of tired of anything minimalist from them as well. I want something that sounds huge and expansive

Old 04-18-2016, 07:45 PM   #40
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

If you believe the whispers about it, it certainly seems like they're thinking bigger than they were during the KoL sessions. I think that'd be a wise move, from both a creative and a sales standpoint. Time to be a little less self-indulgent and get back to making great Radiohead songs. I honestly don't know if I could tolerate another aimless, go nowhere effort ala Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Yes I know that's a Yorke solo album but I just get this sense that stuff akin to what's on that album is the only kind of music Yorke and Co wants to make anymore, and it's getting a bit tiresome. I'm not expecting or hoping for them to turn into another U2, but just give us something...ANYTHING that resembles pep. Shit, I'd take another In Rainbows.

Old 04-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #41
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
If you believe the whispers about it, it certainly seems like they're thinking bigger than they were during the KoL sessions. I think that'd be a wise move, from both a creative and a sales standpoint. Time to be a little less self-indulgent and get back to making great Radiohead songs. I honestly don't know if I could tolerate another aimless, go nowhere effort ala Tomorrow's Modern Boxes. Yes I know that's a Yorke solo album but I just get this sense that stuff akin to what's on that album is the only kind of music Yorke and Co wants to make anymore, and it's getting a bit tiresome. I'm not expecting or hoping for them to turn into another U2, but just give us something...ANYTHING that resembles pep. Shit, I'd take another In Rainbows.
honestly i don't think they went so minimalistic on KoL because they wanted to indulge in artistic snobbery - i think they defaulted to it because they were, best case scenario, really bored and didn't feel like making another record, or bad case scenario - almost split up.

to me it sounds like thom taking reigns and pulling 60-70% of the load himself.
i have no info to base this on, of course, but the hunch i am getting for this upcoming record is that they feel more rejuvenated, and actually seek to make a meaningful statement this time.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #42
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

People would have a completely different opinion about TKOL if only this video never happened

Old 04-20-2016, 01:22 AM   #43
teh b0lly!!1
Socialphobic

i actually really dig that video, i think it's awesome

Old 04-20-2016, 09:00 AM   #44
vixnix
Minion of Satan

Location: That God you believe in must have had his head right up his arse if he took Luke and not you instead

stopped listening to radiohead when i needed to preserve my will to live

Old 04-20-2016, 09:33 AM   #45
cork_soaker
full of longing

i only listen to radiohead

Old 04-20-2016, 10:05 AM   #46
Poots
Minion of Satan

For two weeks, I've been assburgerly listening to OK Computer with headphones to pick out all the small details and twiddly computer shit. I've done that before with Kid A and Amnesiac. Just repeated listens taking notes and talking to myself about sounds, do it again, do it again, mentally stack the layers of sound until everything is in it's right place.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:52 PM   #47
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

yeah i thought the lotus flower video was badass. i also think koL is one of their best albums (along with Kid A, OK, and In rainbows)

and tomorrow's modern boxes is fucking sweet. fuck all you haters.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:49 PM   #48
Poots
Minion of Satan

I agree about King of Limbs. Codex is one of the best ballads that Yorke has written.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:01 PM   #49
redbreegull
Immortal

KoL is not a bad album, but it feels much smaller and less impactful than In Rainbows. IR Disc 2 is better than KoL.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:08 PM   #50
redbreegull
Immortal

because it was only a matter of time

In Rainbows > Ok Computer > The Bends > Kid A > KoL > Amnesiac > Pablo Honey > HTTT

Old 04-21-2016, 06:40 AM   #51
Elphenor
Socialphobic

Would you shut up about In Rainbows it's like mid tier Radiohead

Old 04-21-2016, 06:41 AM   #52
Elphenor
Socialphobic

HTTT>>>>>>>>>> In Rainbows

Old 04-21-2016, 06:45 AM   #53
Elphenor
Socialphobic

HTTT is so underrated it's beyond criminal

Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM   #54
Cool As Ice Cream
Immortal

literally?

Old 04-21-2016, 08:11 AM   #55
Poots
Minion of Satan

Hail to the Thief is the only album that I don't care if I ever hear again. In Rainbows is good, but the title is too gay and the music is a little overrated. People jizzed themselves when they heard guitars for the first time in a decade.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:39 AM   #56
Elphenor
Socialphobic

Man

There, There and Scatterbrain are both songs that have moved me to tears I don't understand why nobody else gets this album

I've heard In Rainbows a hundred or so times and right now can only recall like 3 of the songs. I actually remember more of the Bsides which are better than whats on the album imo

Bangars and Mash is a jam

Old 04-21-2016, 08:42 AM   #57
buzzard
Apocalyptic Poster

What a crybaby.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:50 AM   #58
Elphenor
Socialphobic

Moved to tears by fuckin Radiohead is an embarrassing sentence but what can you do

Old 04-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #59
Poots
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Man

There, There and Scatterbrain are both songs that have moved me to tears I don't understand why nobody else gets this album

I've heard In Rainbows a hundred or so times and right now can only recall like 3 of the songs. I actually remember more of the Bsides which are better than whats on the album imo

Bangars and Mash is a jam
It's not that I don't "get" the album, it's just that I don't think the songwriting is as strong. This is where I started to get worried about Radiohead, thinking that they'd lost it. But then they did In Rainbows, which was great, then King of Limbs, which is even better. I think they just had a down moment with Hail to the Thief.

Old 04-21-2016, 09:30 AM   #60
redbreegull
Immortal

HTTT is almost impossible for me to get through and I may have only listened from start to finish once or twice. Of course it still has good songs; it's a Radiohead album. There There, 2+2, Wolf at the Door are great.