Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 AM   #91
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Yes. It often is. Parenting is f’n hard work depending on how seriously you take it. If you feel bad for bringing new humans into this bullshit situation here on earth and want to nourish them with the best food you can manage, and help them develop skills and empathy so that they can manage as adults, all while considering your ecological footprint and social obligations to the rest of society, it’s some real bullshit.

But you know...most people I meet say my kids are intelligent, and polite, and thoughtful, and responsible and kind.

So, it’s worth it.

I don’t have to mix their ADD medication with their Coke and then try and get them to take sips while they swear at me and play Fortnite at the same time and whine for more chicken nuggets

Swings and roundabouts

Old 09-20-2018, 02:20 AM   #92
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Sorry slunken.

That sounds pretty good actually

Old 09-20-2018, 02:27 AM   #93
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
I think I'm ready to admit to myself that, outside of a handful of songs, neither The Smiths nor The Talking Heads do anything for me.
woah woah woah hey there calm down now NOBODY doesn't like The Talking Heads. I refuse to believe this.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:32 AM   #94
Elphenor
Braindead

"the" talking heads lol

Old 09-20-2018, 02:34 AM   #95
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihaguitar View Post
Jordan Peterson talks a certain amount of sense and is unfairly criticised for it.
JBP's self-help stuff is largely eye-rollingly obvious ("cleaning your room will improve your mood" wow who'da thunk) although some of it is probably helpful to people who are yet to have engaged in rudimentary cognitive therapy ("treat yourself like someone you've been tasked with looking after" is actually pretty solid advice) but it's all just a trojan horse for some absolutely garbage crypto-fascist patriarchal bullshit that boils down to "women are unhappy because they're not tending to their biological need to have a kid on each tit", and his stuff about post-modernism and quote unquote "social marxism" is so staggeringly inaccurate and historically illiterate. The dude shows zero comprehension of the philosophers he critiques. He's a complete fucking potato and it's an indictment on our society that all it takes is for him to spout a couple of common-sense aphorisms to be worshipped like some kind of genius philosopher king. Nuke the cunt.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:38 AM   #96
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by bardy View Post
all that superiority sounds exhausting
Bardy, vix took her kids out of a public school because she decided she didn't want them "mixing with the hoi polloi" and getting common-folk ideas in their heads from talking to the great unwashed.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:39 AM   #97
Elphenor
Braindead

was someone desperate for attention until he found his niche misgendering

then sprinkled in some of that "wah college kids" that gets the insecure off

Old 09-20-2018, 02:54 AM   #98
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Bardy, vix took her kids out of a public school because she decided she didn't want them "mixing with the hoi polloi" and getting common-folk ideas in their heads from talking to the great unwashed.
You say this like I’m weird for doing it. I am the everyparent. Every parent tries hard to get their kids into the best school district they can afford. We were actually the outliers for trying out a local public school with a “bad” reputation. Most of the other parents we are friends with, would never have considered it in the first place.

You know D.’s Daughter attended a private school up until this year, for the same reason, right? He just wasn’t tactless enough to say that he wanted his daughter in a better environment than the local public school could provide.

But that’s actually a pretty common goal, for parents. To provide their child with the very best learning environment they can afford.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 AM   #99
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

jk rowling and george rr martin blow cthulhic dong

i read the lathe of heaven. there is no going back.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:07 AM   #100
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
You know D.’s Daughter attended a private school up until this year, for the same reason, right? He just wasn’t tactless enough to say that he wanted his daughter in a better environment than the local public school could provide.

But that’s actually a pretty common goal, for parents. To provide their child with the very best learning environment they can afford.
Slight correction: she went to a public Montessori school from pre-k to second because it's a good (yet still free) school but also our public schools proper don't have accreditation in KCMO. Unfortunately, they don't offer free Montessori in Houston, so she's in public school proper.

It's not because I don't want her mixing with the poors, though, and i think that's where SJ has the problem. (Hell, we're what could be considered working poor if working poor means "one medical expense away from losing your house", as I've heard it).

Last edited by D. : 09-20-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #101
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
woah woah woah hey there calm down now NOBODY doesn't like The Talking Heads. I refuse to believe this.
No, I like them just fine. But I'm realizing that they aren't essential to me. I could go the rest of my life without hearing another album/song and I'd be fine.

I had them crammed down my throat from a pretty young age and I've always thought i just *had* to love them. I don't.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:23 AM   #102
FoolofaTook

Yes. Now you've moved on. To 3EB.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:35 AM   #103
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Yes. Now you've moved on. To 3EB.

AND Jimmy Eat World! Don't forget!

Old 09-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #104
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

It's one of those things where I don't actively listen to either band (Smiths/THE Talking Heads) but I respect their place in musical history, the talent, etc.

You know, it's the same approach Elph would take to Queen/Zepp, if he weren't such an insufferable little twat.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #105
FoolofaTook

Yes. And Motorhead!

Old 09-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #106
vixnix
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Slight correction: she went to a public montessori school from pre-k to second because it's a good (yet still free) school but also our public schools proper don't have accreditation in KCMO.
Unfortunately they don't offer free montessori in Houston so she's in public school proper.

It's not because I don't want her mixing with the poors, though, and i think that's where SJ has thr ptoblem. (Hell, we're what could be considered working poor if working poor means "one medical expense away from losing your house", as I've heard it).
I mean...in the end...it takes a village to raise a child, and I guess another unpopular opinion is that some schools are shitty villages that don't raise good children

It has nothing to do with money. Library memberships are free and there was one within walking distance in that suburb. We walked to it once a week. People didn't make that village shitty because they were poor. They made it shitty because they spent all their disposable income on overpriced crap meals at Burger King every week, because it was next to the pub where they could get a couple of pints and play the pokies...and then send their kids to school in uniforms and shoes that were the wrong size with a packet of cookies for lunch. And then turn up at 3pm, drunk, swearing at their kids in front of all the other children, and shoving them out the gate.

I dunno. it was rude to call those parents the hoi polloi. I wish I hadn't. But we didn't pull our son out of that school because of poor people. But because of asshole people

Old 09-20-2018, 10:28 AM   #107
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
It has nothing to do with money. Library memberships are free and there was one within walking distance in that suburb. We walked to it once a week. People didn't make that village shitty because they were poor. They made it shitty because they spent all their disposable income on overpriced crap meals at Burger King every week, because it was next to the pub where they could get a couple of pints and play the pokies...and then send their kids to school in uniforms and shoes that were the wrong size with a packet of cookies for lunch. And then turn up at 3pm, drunk, swearing at their kids in front of all the other children, and shoving them out the gate.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:35 AM   #108
D.
Consume my pants.

without having done any research at all, i feel like there's a large chunk of reluctant parents - they did what society expected of them and bred and they fucking hate it and take it out on their kids emotionally or physically. then they turn around and act like being a parent is "so hard but worth it" and grin and bear it as they watch the life they wanted fade away. then they convince their friends without kids that they don't know true love until they have a kid and guilt them into procreating because if they have to be miserable, they want everyone else to be, too.

i've lost sleep worrying about if i'm doing everything for the kid emotionally, physically, etc. i can't fathom someone having a child, then basically resenting them for 18 years. but it happens.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #109
ilikeplanets
Braindead

Nothing wrong with disposable diapers! are you crazy

Old 09-20-2018, 11:28 AM   #110
ilikeplanets
Braindead

I would use disposable bibs if it was just a shred more practical. I already do dishes and laundry any spare second of the day. I don't have a maid

Old 09-20-2018, 11:55 AM   #111
vixnix
Socialphobic

No way, creating so much landfill is what's crazy!!

http://diaperfreebaby.org/wp-content...ge-diapers.jpg

don't do it!!!

Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 AM   #112
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post

I had them crammed down my throat from a pretty young age and I've always thought i just *had* to love them. I don't.
that can ruin anything but 4real Talking Heads are life

Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #113
bardy
Immortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeplanets View Post
I would use disposable bibs if it was just a shred more practical. I already do dishes and laundry any spare second of the day. I don't have a maid
I use disposable plates sometimes! Don't tell anyone!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:08 PM   #114
Elphenor
Braindead

next globes will tell me he doesn't like Television

Old 09-20-2018, 12:11 PM   #115
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
next globes will tell me he doesn't like Television
I can go for days without turning it on.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #116
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
that can ruin anything but 4real Talking Heads are life
Stop Making Sense was in constant rotation (along with Classic Queen, come to think of it). I like Talking Heads fine but it's ultimately not something I'm going to listen to on my own in my free time.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #117
Elphenor
Braindead

ye but did you ever listen to Remain in Light

Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #118
vixnix
Socialphobic

It's really not that hard to wash dishes - or cloth diapers/wipes. it was one extra load of laundry a day, for cloth diapers and wipes.

Plates are one of the easiest dishes to wash! I would be way more tempted by disposable roasting pans, or muffin tins, or pots...washing those can really suck

My bachelor brother uses disposable roasting pans because you know, cleaning up after cooking infringes too much on his gaming time.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #119
D.
Consume my pants.

Its the corporations who have polluted this planet and they have successfully pawned it off on the personal responsibility of individuals.

Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #120
vixnix
Socialphobic

That’s true, and it was corporations that monetised pregnancy, child birth, infant feeding and diapering. But I don’t think that means that parents can avoid taking responsibility for their own choices in these areas.

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
An estimated 27.4 billion disposable diapers are used each year in the US, resulting in a possible 3.4 million tons of used diapers adding to landfills each year.[47] A discarded disposable diaper takes up to 450 years to decompose.[48]
A huge part of being a parent is making choices that are about more than your own convenience. Thinking ahead and considering how your actions will affect your child’s future is a daily event for a thoughtful parent. Not caring about your contribution to landfill, and not caring about your interaction and transactions with profit seeking corporations that have created a billion dollar industry out of providing a wasteful, polluting solution to diapering...is, as I said before...in my opinion, immature, irresponsible and wasteful