Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2002, 09:04 PM   #1
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

Red face i went to the virgin megastore today

and i feel like a total cunt. anyway, i decided to go into manhattan at 4:30 this morning and was walking around times square. you know, it's cheesy and monstrous and corporate, but they really do have a shitload of music. not a tremendous amount of indie/hipster type stuff (they didn't have mum, which stuck me as rather odd, considering they had, like, the go-betweens.) i wanted to venture into the classical section but i kind of felt like a fraud

Old 10-20-2002, 09:09 PM   #2
lucky_13
Apocalyptic Poster

i love that store. i don't feel uncool because of it. i used to work a half a block away on 46th street. i love the import section. they have some stuff i couldn't find at kim's or other. i feed the corporate monster.

Old 10-20-2002, 09:20 PM   #3
scouse_dave
Minion of Satan

Thumbs down

i have no problem with Virgin being 'corporate'

i do, however, have a problem with them charging me about £15-£18 for an album that i canl buy for £11 AT AN ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM

the place is a rip-off, pure and simple

Old 10-21-2002, 01:41 AM   #4
jared
Apocalyptic Poster

mum is in the dance section

Old 10-21-2002, 01:04 PM   #5
sickbadthing
Out fart the hottie!

Quote:
Originally posted by lucky_13
i love that store. i don't feel uncool because of it. i used to work a half a block away on 46th street. i love the import section. they have some stuff i couldn't find at kim's or other. i feed the corporate monster.
Hey we went there together. I'm too cheap to pay $18 for a cd. We were in there for what... 5 minutes? Wow. Virgin megastore. Let's go. But then, we went to that other place in the village and I actually bought something there. One of those hipster places where everyone is too cool for humanity. I went to buy Jason Lowenstein's new cd and was ignored because the cool people working there had to talk. Don't you love it when a cd store is more of a hang out than an actual store? So you can go to a huge soulless place like Virgin where you get raped with the high prices or you can go to a little hipster dump and get a new release for a few dollars less and feel inadequate because you're not looking cool enough.

Fuck it. I'll just buy everything on Amazon.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:19 PM   #6
Suicide Machine
Demi-God

Kim's blows. I think i bought the Green Grass of Tunnel mini cd there for $7, and thats about it. Etherea is the best in NYC. It's on Ave A and 10th. Vintage Vinyl in NJ is better though. I wish i had money to buy some shit there.

Old 10-21-2002, 01:53 PM   #7
Debaser
ghost

i dig the megastore. they have hella cool shit. but i rarely buy anything there because of the prices.

Old 10-21-2002, 02:17 PM   #8
jenniferkate
bitch please.

Angry

Quote:
other
i hate other music! i hope it burns down.

Elizabeth Hasselbeck is dumber than (1) a bag of hammers (2) a sack of wet, disoriented mice who have been concussed with hammers (3) a lobotomized Joey Lawrence.

Old 10-21-2002, 02:39 PM   #9
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by jenniferkate

i hate other music! i hope it burns down.
no shit. that place creeps me out.

Old 10-21-2002, 03:51 PM   #10
jenniferkate
bitch please.

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by frail_and_bedazzled

no shit. that place creeps me out.
i can't stand it. it's the size of a shoebox and the dorks that work there are so smarmy. ugh.

i'd rather go to the princeton record exchange. at least their dorks are of the nice helpful variety.

Elizabeth Hasselbeck is dumber than (1) a bag of hammers (2) a sack of wet, disoriented mice who have been concussed with hammers (3) a lobotomized Joey Lawrence.

Old 10-21-2002, 04:04 PM   #11
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

Quote:
Originally posted by jenniferkate

i can't stand it. it's the size of a shoebox and the dorks that work there are so smarmy. ugh.

i'd rather go to the princeton record exchange. at least their dorks are of the nice helpful variety.

the last time i went there i bought the yeah yeah yeahs ep for my friend, since even kim's didn't have it and i had promised my friend i'd get it for him. but they fucking opened it! i didn't even pay attention til after i left. it made me look like a crappy friend; playing their cd before they even got it.

Old 10-21-2002, 04:16 PM   #12
jenniferkate
bitch please.

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower

I could barely walk in that place. Everyone was cramped right next to each other. Everytime I moved in the CD section I bumped into someone.
it's palatial in comparison with other music.

Old 10-21-2002, 08:40 PM   #13
lucky_13
Apocalyptic Poster

yeah the too cool place chris was talking about above was other music. the kim's up by columbia is cool and they gots alot of used stuff. generations is really cool too. 10 times bigger than other and it still isn't big. i remember going to other for the first time when i was working at matador and i thought there were other rooms. that one little shelf of indie rock couldn't be the only stuff they have. fuck them. they could be alot cooler.

Old 10-21-2002, 09:30 PM   #14
bonsor
Minion of Satan

Talking

Quote:

I could barely walk in that place. Everyone was cramped right next to each other. Everytime I moved in the CD section I bumped into someone.
*resists glaring opportunity for a fat joke*

Old 10-21-2002, 10:48 PM   #15
Red Wine Cage

At Virgin, I bought the Pumpkins' "in Conversation Vol 1" for $13 when I went to chicago one time (november 01)

Old 10-22-2002, 12:57 AM   #16
Example
Pledge

Quote:
Originally posted by Suicide Machine
Etherea is the best in NYC.
After spending five days in New York, I have to agree

Old 10-22-2002, 02:55 AM   #17
SmashingZeppelins
Demi-God

Thumbs up

Reckless records in Chicago!

Old 10-22-2002, 03:05 AM   #18
Travis Meekz
Minion of Satan

yep. it sucks, overpriced normal music st0re

Old 10-22-2002, 06:32 PM   #19
frail_and_bedazzled
Ownz

Quote:
yeah the too cool place chris was talking about above was other music. the kim's up by columbia is cool and they gots alot of used stuff. generations is really cool too. 10 times bigger than other and it still isn't big. i remember going to other for the first time when i was working at matador and i thought there were other rooms. that one little shelf of indie rock couldn't be the only stuff they have. fuck them. they could be alot cooler.
you worked at matador? that's cool. they're probably one of my favorites.

anyway, yeah, generation is pretty rad. they also have neat posters. lots of bootlegs, too. there are a couple of record stores on...what it is? mcdougal st? anyway, a couple blocks west of generation just below wash. square that have some interesting stuff as well.

Old 10-22-2002, 08:32 PM   #20
professional wannabe
Demi-God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Debaser
i dig the megastore. they have hella cool shit. but i rarely buy anything there because of the prices.
ditto here, i completely agree(only difference perhaps is that i go to the one in downtown Chicago).

in addition, i really love the fact that they have a lotta listening stations(in case that aspect hasn't been brought up yet...).

Last edited by professional wannabe : 10-22-2002 at 08:34 PM.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:04 PM   #21
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Talking

That place is the epitome of false advertising. I'm pretty sure that when I went to their stores in Myrtle Beach and in New York, the only virgins were 13 years old and younger.

Old 10-23-2002, 10:48 PM   #22
Red Wine Cage

Quote:
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
That place is the epitome of false advertising. I'm pretty sure that when I went to their stores in Myrtle Beach and in New York, the only virgins were 13 years old and younger.
heh.

Old 10-24-2002, 12:09 AM   #23
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Wine Cage

heh.
Yeah, it's not exactly a megastore, is it?

Old 10-24-2002, 01:54 AM   #24
Travis Meekz
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

Yeah, it's not exactly a megastore, is it?

Old 10-24-2002, 07:30 AM   #25
severin
no more than sympathy

Quote:
Originally posted by sickbadthing

Hey we went there together. I'm too cheap to pay $18 for a cd. We were in there for what... 5 minutes? Wow. Virgin megastore. Let's go. But then, we went to that other place in the village and I actually bought something there. One of those hipster places where everyone is too cool for humanity. I went to buy Jason Lowenstein's new cd and was ignored because the cool people working there had to talk. Don't you love it when a cd store is more of a hang out than an actual store? So you can go to a huge soulless place like Virgin where you get raped with the high prices or you can go to a little hipster dump and get a new release for a few dollars less and feel inadequate because you're not looking cool enough.

Fuck it. I'll just buy everything on Amazon.
http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Ss/0146882/6

Old 10-24-2002, 03:57 PM   #26
twilightfadez
Socialphobic

the only way i would buy something at virgin is with my employee discount...but since i dont work there anymore, and hardly any of my friends i just buy stuff online

Old 10-24-2002, 05:20 PM   #27
sawdust restaurants
Fucking Creep

Talking

Quote:
Well, if I happened to be in the NY one at the time.
It's because you don't shave.