Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:54 AM   #151
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
So far, of the 16 or 17 songs cut, I only like 8, but have since added some other numbers whilst cutting, too (from the first go round).

...so is he gonna incl*ude Cardinal Rule this time?

Billy:
"I think Cardinal Rule is one of the best songs I've ever written..."

Old 03-22-2018, 07:21 AM   #152
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
...so is he gonna incl*ude Cardinal Rule this time?

Billy:
"I think Cardinal Rule is one of the best songs I've ever written..."
Cardinal Rule is a so-so b-side at best, but better than anything that was on Odigaga

Old 03-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #153
PuzzledMuzzle
Ownz

If HE only likes 50 % of the songs HE wrote, just imagine how shitty this album is gonna be overall.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:34 AM   #154
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

"It is probably best that the album remain as clear a statement as possible, so I'm back to figuring on a single record. But that said, the whole body of work plays like a strange dream. So if that appeals to you, let me know (smoke signals are fine). #wpc"

YES, BILLY!
"Smoke signals" are the best and only way to answer, not being on your Instagram buddy-list! #creepyirishindian
(Imagine Linda Strawdingle having done background vocals for best vomit pleasure...)

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 03-22-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #155
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuzzledMuzzle View Post
If HE only likes 50 % of the songs HE wrote, just imagine how shitty this album is gonna be overall.
It's the other way around

Old 03-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #156
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
williampcorgan A spare clip of my birthday trip with Mr. Choo Choo. To say I miss my own monster is an understatement. Let the world think what it will, but people like me vanished a long time ago. What's left is but a strange dream...

He also used the words 'strange dream' in another tweet from yesterday:

Quote:
It is probably best that the album remain as clear a statement as possible, so I'm back to figuring on a single record. But that said, the whole body of work plays like a strange dream. So if that appeals to you, let me know (smoke signals are fine).

Old 03-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #157
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

billy needs to stfu

Old 03-22-2018, 10:23 AM   #158
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Guess Corgan is already promoting the title of his next solo record Strange Dream.

Old 03-23-2018, 04:03 AM   #159
Kahlo

Radiohead - Nice Dream > BC - Strange Dream

Old 03-23-2018, 04:36 AM   #160
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Nikola Stankovic
5 years ago
Billy Corgan is incredible compositor...maby the best

Old 03-23-2018, 04:45 AM   #161
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
williampcorgan Some progress today on solo album, as I've written another new song to go with the one I finished just before the SP sessions (part 2). Which makes 18 in total up for consideration, with another 3 set aside as covers. I really, really like these songs and have been frustrated thus at my inability to translate them via recording (with real consistency, that is). Thankfully, I'm able to work each day to hopefully improve at this type of singing and playing. For folk, or acoustic music, is really music of the Soul.
#WPC

Old 03-23-2018, 08:36 AM   #162
FoolofaTook

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
Nikola Stankovic
5 years ago
Billy Corgan is incredible compositor...maby the best
NUKE CRAOTIA

Old 03-28-2018, 03:40 AM   #163
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
On the solo front, I'm set to go back into the studio Monday (April 2nd) for 2 weeks, with an eye to finish save for strings and some additional overdubs. Like with SP, I'm starting to lean towards releasing this next solo work over 4 ep's (which I guess you could argue makes for a double album in the aggregate), making the chance of all the work being heard and considered more likely. Which last I heard is still the point...
But that may also mark me as an antique, too. Or a relic if you are being kind.
Tra-la for now!

Thanks to those who signed up for my Music Machine playlist on @Spotify thus far, as it's off to a flying start and the feedback has been very positive. it certainly takes me back to the days (circa 1977-1994) of making mix tapes for friends on cassette. In other news, @smashingpumpkins is set to make 2 videos (think part A and B) for our forthcoming EP's. Exciting stuff! On the solo front, I'm set to go back into the studio Monday (April 2nd) for 2 weeks, with an eye to finish save for strings and some additional overdubs. Like with SP, I'm starting to lean towards releasing this next solo work over 4 ep's (which I guess you could argue makes for a double album in the aggregate), making the chance of all the work being heard and considered more likely. Which last I heard is still the point... But that may also mark me as an antique, too. Or a relic if you are being kind. Tra-la for now! @jamesihaofficial @jjjschroeder @jackbass89 #smashingpumpkins #wpc

Ein Beitrag geteilt von WilliamPatrickCorgan (@williampcorgan) am

---

November 2017:

Quote:
“Regardless of if I do anything more with the Pumpkins, which is sort of up in the air, I would like to do an acoustic based record every 18 months,” he concludes. “I’ve already written another album to follow up Ogilala, which is just sitting there. The difficulty is working out how this music fits in the world. It’s not easy to get on the radio and all those traditional things - it's hard to market. My great hope is that it will be well enough received that it’ll allow me to do another record. I’d also like to do sessions where I record a lot of my old songs but in acoustic form. So over the next five years I would release 150-200 acoustic versions of my songs. I’ve released 300 so far and there is another 100 that haven’t been released. I could release that on my own label or something. Over time I could compile an alternate record of my songs - acoustic or piano versions as opposed to the more band-like versions. There are a lot of good songs there that have been overlooked because of the time or the production.”
https://www.psneurope.com/studio/bil...ala-rick-rubin

Old 03-28-2018, 03:45 AM   #164
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

LOL:

"Honestly, I think the best album I’ve ever made I haven’t released. It’s sitting in a can at home."

"People who’ve heard it say it’s some of the most beautiful work I’ve ever done. It’s just sitting there."

---

"I’ve already written another album to follow up Ogilala, which is just sitting there."

Old 03-28-2018, 03:47 AM   #165
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Corgan not going bankrupt by his wrestling league ownership, but by recording too many records at expensive places that no one is buying anymore...

Old 03-28-2018, 03:59 AM   #166
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Billy is back in 'the album is dead' mode.

Quote:
Like with SP, I'm starting to lean towards releasing this next solo work over 4 ep's

Flashback:

Quote:
Corgan has decided the traditional album is dead, so he's putting out a massive 44-song collection — Teargarden by Kaleidyscope — one track at a time online. Whenever he completes a set of four songs, he's releasing them on his own label as ornately packaged EPs, with the first due this spring. "I feel like I have probably 10 to 15 songs that are super-top-level," he says. "I originally thought I'd string those songs like little diamonds amongst the other good songs, but now I'm going to have to push those up to the front of the line. And I'll just have to write more."
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ature-20110103

Old 03-28-2018, 04:12 AM   #167
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Billy Corgan doesn't want to fail in the normal record chart listings again...

Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #168
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post
Billy is back in 'the album is dead' mode.

Flashback:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ature-20110103
ugh barf

Old 03-28-2018, 10:34 AM   #169
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

So BC/SP will release 6 EP’s this year.

He’ll probably make more money off iTunes from me that way. For a fool and his money are easily parted. Tra La La.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:08 PM   #170
jakobtheliar
Demi-God

Wtf is with the tra la? What is he, captain underpants?

Old 03-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #171
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Old 03-28-2018, 05:09 PM   #172
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Except he's not wrong. The Industry has shifted to a singles-oriented market, much like it was in the 50s and before. No one fucking cares about albums anymore except for niches and outliers.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobbyow.../#17192d106986

Old 03-28-2018, 05:41 PM   #173
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

EP's are a waste of time and ensure that your fan base will care less about the work than they would if it was an album.

The reason the general public doesn't care about SP anymore is because Billy's voice has aged badly, the songs aren't as good, and no Jimmy Chamberlin for the past two albums. Now they actually might care a little more with Jimmy and James back, and the dumbass wants to release EP's?

Old 03-28-2018, 05:44 PM   #174
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
EP's are a waste of time and ensure that your fan base will care less about the work than they would if it was an album.
Why

Old 03-28-2018, 05:46 PM   #175
FoolofaTook

the general pubic

LOL

Old 03-28-2018, 09:33 PM   #176
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

well yeah? that's who he so desperately wants to appeal to. sad machines will love anything he puts out but having a rabid stalker fanbase is not enough for him.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:09 PM   #177
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
Cardinal Rule is a so-so b-side at best, but better than anything that was on Odigaga
False.

Archer > Cardinal Rule

Old 03-29-2018, 12:55 AM   #178
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Billy Corgan is too insecure about the quality of the songs now, doesn't want to risk a (double) album with hangers anymore.

Old 03-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #179
cardiac
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

The reason the general public doesn't care about SP anymore is because Billy's voice has aged badly, the songs aren't as good, and no Jimmy Chamberlin for the past two albums. Now they actually might care a little more with Jimmy and James back, and the dumbass wants to release EP's?
Well Trent is releasing EPs only these days and he's no dummy when it comes to music marketing. The vast majority of people don't listen to albums any more. I'm not saying EPs are the best way to go, but if you have a batch of 12 songs, spreading it out to 3 EPs over time, there's a better chance that people will hear all the tracks as opposed to a couple on an album.

Old 03-29-2018, 02:21 AM   #180
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

I think this is on point.

Billy always reacts to a misconception as to why his previous album failed commercially.

Adore: Overlong and maudlin - Billy’s response: We need LOUD and AGGRESSIVE
Machina: Poor song choice, obscure production - Billy’s response: FUN POP album
Zwan: Poor song choice, saccharine production - Billy’s response: AVANTE GARDE
TFE: No solid singles, obscure production - Billy’s response: BRING BACK SP!
Zeitgeist: Horrid vocal mixing - Billy’s response: ALBUM IS DEAD
TBK: Stylistically odd, slow release, bad vocal mix - Billy’s response - BRING BACK SP!
Oceania: Mediocre songs and performance - Billy’s response - ADHD RAWK album!
MTAE: Short, mixed song quality, bad lyrics - Billy’s response: ALBUM IS DEAD!
Ogilala: Good but lacked diversity - Billy’s response: BRING BACK SP! ALBUM IS DEAD!

In between and live, he’s written and recorded some great music. He’s just lost sight and diverged from his audience.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 03-29-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Closed Thread