Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #1
spacey raygun
Ownz

Thumbs up christmastime swf

i remember a ridiculous swf someone animated for b0lly round christmas time. what is the link? it may have been 2004 during TFE...

Old 12-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #2
lucid_interval
Apocalyptic Poster

its on youtube

Old 12-24-2010, 11:26 PM   #3
spacey raygun
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid_interval View Post
its on youtube
thanks for the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHA-DB4Pjz8

Old 12-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #4
lucid_interval
Apocalyptic Poster

Happy christmas!

Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
emotionalfriend
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacey raygun View Post
I'm sure you went through unimaginable lengths to find it yourself on youtube, you poor thing.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
back.orchid
Amish Rake Fighter

First time I ever heard "Christmastime" and the song is pretty good!
If I was Billy and I saw that video...I would laugh my head off

Old 01-01-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
Venom
Ownz

b0lly would shit all over himself.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #8
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

This song was the beginning of the end, folks. You know it, I know it.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #9
Astur
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by soniclovenoize View Post
is the end is the beginning is the end is the

Old 01-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #10
T&T
Socialphobic

someone should fix the video where the sad kid gets zeitgeist instead of zwan

Old 01-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #11
Astur
Apocalyptic Poster

and another kid catching various std's upon touching song for a sailor

Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
fluxequalsrad
Apocalyptic Poster

its a shame billy can't see the good natured humor in this.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #13
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
seriously this is one of the worst fucking christmas songs ever

Old 01-03-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
jrtalon
Amish Rake Fighter

http://thepumpkins.net/animations

Old 01-04-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
seriously this is one of the worst fucking christmas songs ever
I actually truely do hate all Christmas songs, but Christmastime like focuses my hatred into this extremely powerful energy beam that, if put into the wrong hands, one could rule the world.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:17 AM   #16
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
I actually truely do hate all Christmas songs, but Christmastime like focuses my hatred into this extremely powerful energy beam that, if put into the wrong hands, one could rule the world.
I feel the same way and this is why: A lot of Christmas songs are about Jesus or Love or you know feel good happy time white christmas kind of shit. That's merely sickening. When the song is literally about getting presents that's just obnoxious and shallow.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

I think you're being a bit hard on the lyrics, insofar that it seems like a realistically egocentric representation of the thought process of a child at Christmas. It's Billy writing from the perspective of his "inner child," if you will. (Certainly not difficult since he seems not to have ever completely progressed from that time in his life...) At Christmas I certainly never thought of anything more esoteric than completing my Ninja Turtles collection or getting the biggest Lego castle available from that year's product line.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #18
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

No, Trots is pretty much on the ball. But I'd push it even further though, in that if you write a Christmas song, you're writing a completely contrived, commercial-driven song--more so than the fact that it's a pop song to begin with. You're creating something with a specific market to be sold at a specific time that often celebrates consumerism. You really think a Sugarland Christmas Album is all about how much they love to love the holidays? No, it's just a product you can buy as a stocking stuffer. 99% of all Christmas songs, no, I fucking call your bluff. You may be singing about chestnuts over an open fire or Santa Claus, but what you're really singing about is "Buy this, buy that!"

So Corgan is no different than Sugarland here. When you A) write a song about Christmas and B) stuff the audio design with every fucking Christmassy cliche, you're selling the fuck out. * To go from XYU, Stumbeline and Thru The Eyes of Ruby to Christmastime, I was truely dumbfounded how someone I percivied as a genius songwriter and true artist could fall so low.

That is why I hate Christmas music. And patriotic American music too--anything post-Woody Guthrie is a pile of shit. And Woody was being ironic, so there you go.

*The one exception is "Merry Xmas (War is Over)", but because the song wasn't actually about Christmas, but about ending war (obviously) which Lennon foolishly believed he could do. But the many many MANY covers of the song by other artists are raping the song for commercial again, as aformentioned.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:28 PM   #19
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpycat View Post
I think you're being a bit hard on the lyrics, insofar that it seems like a realistically egocentric representation of the thought process of a child at Christmas. It's Billy writing from the perspective of his "inner child," if you will. (Certainly not difficult since he seems not to have ever completely progressed from that time in his life...) At Christmas I certainly never thought of anything more esoteric than completing my Ninja Turtles collection or getting the biggest Lego castle available from that year's product line.
yeah neither did i and it's pretty sad when we just act like this is the way things are, because it just shows what an overprivileged consumer you are.

and billy is an inner child.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Trots: yeah, exactly. I actually think about the meaning and origins of Christmas more than I ever did as a child, and do think that the whole gift-giving thing is rather contrived and disgusting. (And in fact, completely antithetical to the original message of Jesus or Christmas--if you are of that persuasion. I could actually imagine Jesus becoming literally sickened by all the trappings of its modern celebration.) And yet I still gladly accept the gifts! I am a sick consumer because I have "seen the light" regarding all this nonsense yet continue to partake!

Soniclovenoize: you're digging too deeply, man. I doubt Billy was thinking about the sociological implications of the song and on some level the song seems completely sincere and light-hearted, in the same vein as "Lily" or one of those other novelty tracks from the MCIS era. That's how I took it. It's not like he did a damned Christmas album.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #21
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Soniclovenoize: you're digging too deeply, man. I doubt Billy was thinking about the sociological implications of the song and on some level the song seems completely sincere and light-hearted, in the same vein as "Lily" or one of those other novelty tracks from the MCIS era. That's how I took it. It's not like he did a damned Christmas album.
This might sound stupid, but he has a responsibility as an artist to look deeper. Otherwise, he's as good as Rod Stewart.

Old 01-07-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

What if the whole goal of the artist is to present the event from a limited, self-absorbed "in-the-moment" point of view? If that accurately represented his feelings at the time, he was fulfilling on of the functions of an artist as a representative of true thoughts/feeling/emotion, no? It's not like SouthPark were both sides get a fair shake at being shit on. Artists are not obliged to represent all experiential and temporal points of view.

You know, the fact that we are actually having this kind of discussion over a song like Christmastime has already given it some redeeming worth...

Last edited by stumpycat : 01-07-2011 at 01:08 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:14 AM   #23
Trotskilicious
Banned

Not really, you could say that about a lot of things.

Old 01-07-2011, 04:16 AM   #24
Trotskilicious
Banned

like nickelback is a good start of a discussion of the worst shit that sucked ever but that's not really giving it any redeeming value

Old 01-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #25
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
What if the whole goal of the artist is to present the event from a limited, self-absorbed "in-the-moment" point of view? If that accurately represented his feelings at the time, he was fulfilling on of the functions of an artist as a representative of true thoughts/feeling/emotion, no? It's not like SouthPark were both sides get a fair shake at being shit on. Artists are not obliged to represent all experiential and temporal points of view.

You know, the fact that we are actually having this kind of discussion over a song like Christmastime has already given it some redeeming worth...
Yeah, I know what you mean and agree with you, but not in the case of Christmastime. I'm sorry, but my bullshit-o-meter went to 11 when I first heard that crap.

To use your South Park metaphor, remember when Cartmen was writing his songs for Faith (plus) 1? Yeah, I imagine Corgan using the same method to write & record Christmastime. It's just SOOOOO contrived, in a genre that I already feel as totally contrived.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:17 AM   #26
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah, I know what you mean and agree with you, but not in the case of Christmastime. I'm sorry, but my bullshit-o-meter went to 11 when I first heard that crap.
When I first heard it I really hated the music but actually thought it was kind of cool that this was the first time I could actually sort of identify with the lyrics of a Christmas song.

Quote:
To use your South Park metaphor, remember when Cartmen was writing his songs for Faith (plus) 1? Yeah, I imagine Corgan using the same method to write & record Christmastime. It's just SOOOOO contrived, in a genre that I already feel as totally contrived.
It's like self-conscious contrivance then. What a brilliant and post-modern take! Actually it would be really funny if Cartman sang this song. I could easily see him singing it.