Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2019, 06:55 PM   #4981
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty sp View Post
Fulltoke have you seen ’Kes’?
i have, about 15+ years ago, it's fantastic!

Old 07-29-2019, 06:57 PM   #4982
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

shore is

at the end i wanted to strangle the older brother, that bastard.

also that bastard jock teacher who made the boy take a freezing shower. i want to strangle him too.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #4983
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

now for a movie i actually saw: Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, on opening night (i know you were wondering)

i really liked it, to the point where i'm almost considering a second trip to the theater for it - if you hated the slow buildup of Hateful 8, then maybe this is still not for you, but it's at least in a more expansive setting - and a really fuckin' well done one at that. Climax was pretty jaw-dropping even by Tarantino's standards, and I'll just leave it at that

Old 07-30-2019, 06:01 AM   #4984
qwerty sp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
shore is

at the end i wanted to strangle the older brother, that bastard.

also that bastard jock teacher who made the boy take a freezing shower. i want to strangle him too.
Fix your spelling boi!

Yeah, that bro is a major douche canoe

Old 07-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #4985
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Once Upon a Time is the best Tarantino film since Jackie Brown

Old 08-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #4986
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

She-Ra and the Princesses of Power: Season 3

The writing team raised the stakes, and delivered the show's strongest season yet, despite being only six episodes long. While the show's trademark silliness was still prevalent, the writers amped up the darkness and the emotion, and despite all the tonal differences throughout the season, it rarely felt jarring. The second half of the season in particular was strong. As much as I love both Adora and Catra and want them to be friends or more after all is said and done, it was AWESOME seeing the cuffs come off of their rivalry. Despite seemingly fully embracing her dark side and being past the point of no return after her actions in this season, I still have faith that Catra will one day be redeemed. She's too interesting and likeable and sympathetic a character to just devolve into yet another deranged villain hell-bent on destroying everything out of mere spite.

It will be interesting to see where the writers go next with the story, especially considering there does seem to be a grander game in play. And hopefully they give Geena Davis's Huntara something more to do next season.

A

Old 08-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #4987
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs down

Haywire, a Soderbergh film starring MMA fighter Gina Carano

Years ago I turned this off five minutes in because it seemed like Carano couldn't even sit in a diner convincingly, but this time I stuck with it. It's enjoyable enough but really rote — very standard "mercenary/spy gets betrayed and now has to go after her organization before they catch her" stuff. Worth it to see Carano beating the everloving shit out of several big stars. Grade: B

A Ghost Story

I would love to believe this was every bit as profound as it clearly thought it was, but I just didn't connect with it or understand it at all. There's a nearly ten-minute, two-shot stretch where Rooney Mara silently eats most of a pie and Casey Affleck stands perfectly still in the corner. Again: I didn't get it. Grade: D

Old 08-31-2019, 09:11 PM   #4988
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I know that we live in a society and all, but I'm actually curious about the Joker film. I hope it doesn't just end up being "the guy who made The Hangover trying his best to do a karaoke-cover version of Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, but with a licensed character for brand recognition." It looks like it could actually be good.

Old 09-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #4989
Disco King
Minion of Satan

What there is no doubt about, however, is that Joking Phoenix has some big clown shoes to fill and an amazing performance to live up to.

Old 09-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #4990
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Thumbs up

I kinda went movie-crazy this weekend so there's a bunch:

First Reformed:

This blew me away, and I already had high expectations going in. It's on Amazon, which billed it as a thriller, but I'd call it more a dark drama. It's sort of about how the church deals, or doesn't deal, with modern problems like environmental disasters, and how this grows to affect a reverend at a tiny church that's sort of administrated by one 'a them megachurches. A+

Good Time:

Robert Pattinson makes some really weird and cool role choices these days. He's excellent in this. This is basically a shaggy dog story, all in one day and night, about Pattinson trying to get his developmentally disabled brother out on bail after a bank robbery they both pull goes wrong. Crazy meandering shit happens. Ending had me pretty morose. A-

Baskin:

Turkish horror film about several policemen responding to a distress call in a weird part of town. Things quickly go very badly for them. I'd heard a lot of praise for this but didn't think it was all that special — maybe it just got a lot of attention because Turkish horror is pretty much nonexistent. Spends a lot of time with the cops just hanging around, but none of them felt particularly interesting. By the time shit went south I was just like, "Yeah, whatever, gut him." Also features an actor with a rare disease that makes him look like an elderly baby, and he's the main bad guy, and that just feels pretty exploitive of the poor dude. C-

The Killing of a Sacred Deer:

This one fucked me up pretty good and I'm gonna be thinking about it for a long time. By the same guy as Dogtooth, The Lobster, and The Favourite. Everyone in this talks and acts incredibly artificially, and although I kind of figured out a hypothesis for that choice by the end of it, it could be really off-putting if you're not willing to go with it. At the beginning the artifice makes the movie sort of goofy; by the end it's horrifying. A+

I Saw the Devil:

I don't know how to feel about this one. Korean thriller about a guy getting revenge on the psychopath who killed his fiancée. The revenge is elaborate and the tables turn several times. Real feeling of a depraved world throughout, with lots of gnarly violence. I feel like it was well-made but I just wasn't in the mood for it? B

Old 09-03-2019, 05:53 PM   #4991
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

The Baby (1973)

Glorious '70s family drama/exploitation/drive-in fare. Didn't see the ending coming. 8/10

Graduation Day (1981)

One of many Friday the 13th ripoffs, but has charm for days. Much better than I remember it being from my last watch 15+/- years ago. 7/10

Old 09-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #4992
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Is anyone as turned on as I am?

Old 09-07-2019, 01:41 AM   #4993
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

IT: Chapter 2

Too long, pacing was kinda scatterbrained, the CGI monster effects often took you out of the moment too much and made some scenes that were supposed to be scary kinda cringe-y, and overall not as scary as Chapter 1. The acting was solid. Bill Hader as adult Richie stole the show with his superb comedic timing and he had about half of the movie's best moments. In fact, the movie was more funny than scary, which was a little unexpected (the first one had humor too but in this one the humor kinda overwhelmed everything). Not a bad movie but not particularly great either.

C

Old 09-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #4994
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Mission Impossible: Fallout

Fuckin' ruled. They must have shot so much of this practically and that's just insane. There's one stunt where it's obvious you're looking at a CGI person, but the rest of it is done perfectly. Script is tight, Cruise gets to run a lot, it's got it all. Plus, this will always be the movie that made Warner Brothers have to digitally replace Henry Cavill's upper lip throughout most of Justice League, so for that alone, A+

The Hole in The Ground

I keep going back and forth on this one. It's well-made and the kid is really good at playing creepy, but it's also a completely standard changeling story. You could write out a plot synopsis five minutes in. But maybe it just wanted to tell that story as well as it could, and I shouldn't be ragging on it for not breaking any new ground. I just don't know. I did like it as I was watching. B

Old 09-23-2019, 03:01 PM   #4995
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Isn't that the same letter O from The Omen?

Old 09-25-2019, 06:00 PM   #4996
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Ad Astra

Almost as empty and endless as universe itself. What a pretentious mess!

Old 09-25-2019, 07:04 PM   #4997
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Downton Abbey was gorgeous fanservice

Old 09-25-2019, 08:26 PM   #4998
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I was at the trailer exhibition for my town's international film festival a few weeks back. No trailers blew me away, but a few looked interesting. Denmark looks funny, though I wish they didn't give away one of the key plot complications in the trailer. Greener Pastures could either be surreal fun, or it could be trying too hard to be "weird." Murmur looks good. There were a couple trailers for generic-but-fun-looking horror movies (one was called "The Lodge" or something).

Old 10-04-2019, 05:54 PM   #4999
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Joker Begins

***SPOILERS AHEAD. FUCK YOU IF YOU READ THIS.***

A slow-burn character study that gave me the shakes. Joaquin Phoenix is flat out disturbing (in a good way) and is captivating as we watch his descent into madness. The movie does a good job of making Arthur sympathetic at the beginning and progressively less and less so as it goes on. You can definitely see the Scorsese influence in the movie, but another movie that might be considered an influence is Aronofsky's Black Swan. The climax of the movie, where Arthur completes his transformation into the Joker, is perfectly executed and nerve-wracking. The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the murder of the Waynes felt kinda shoehorned in, like the director felt at the last minute that there weren't enough Batman references in the movie, so he better add one more in at the end just to make it clear that this is set in the Batman universe; it really felt unnecessary.

I've seen movies that are far more violent than Joker. I've seen movies with far more cursing than Joker. But I don't think I've seen many movies that are more disturbing than Joker.

Overall, a great movie, but not for the faint of heart.

A-

Old 10-04-2019, 11:40 PM   #5000
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchocky View Post
But I don't think I've seen many movies that are more disturbing than Joker.
How does it compare to Bad Boy Bubby?

Old 10-12-2019, 01:27 PM   #5001
slunken
Virgo

shoot the piano player

french film based off of david goodis' "down there"

very good. rent it.

Old 10-13-2019, 11:24 AM   #5002
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

So I'm trying to go through movies I should have seen already but I hadn't because I am out of touch.

Gattaca: C+
This had a lot of potential but the last 20-30 minutes ruined everything. I don't even mind the ending on paper but the execution was not good.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:30 PM   #5003
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard View Post
How does it compare to Bad Boy Bubby?
that one was great!

Old 10-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #5004
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Saw joker twice. Strong A. Masterpiece

Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #5005
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
shoot the piano player

french film based off of david goodis' "down there"

very good. rent it.
is that the truffaut film with Aznavour?

Old 10-14-2019, 01:04 AM   #5006
buzzard
Minion of Satan

What did we think of El Camino, then?

Old 10-14-2019, 11:51 AM   #5007
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Red face

Huh?

Old 10-14-2019, 12:38 PM   #5008
Mals Marola
Socialphobic