Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Live: Local 717

Any fellow Live fans out there? Being from central PA, I grew up listening to these guys and I'm glad they're back together. Ed's voice still sounds fantastic and I'm really digging the singles they've released from this EP (Love Lounge and Be a Giver, Man). Also heard a little bit of another song (Waterfall) on Instagram, and I dug it. The full EP is out on 10/12. It includes a cover of Venus in Furs; interested to see if their cover of that tops the amazing SP cover from way back when.

Old 10-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I dig throwing copper and secret samahdi, may check this out

Old 10-05-2018, 06:51 PM   #3
D.
Consume my pants.

This is def a band I missed out on. I mean, I was the right age when they were popular and I dig whatever singles they had out but never cared to listen further.

Now, I'd be afraid it would just sound dated if I tried to go back and get into them

Old 10-06-2018, 10:20 AM   #4
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

This band is awful and you can trust my word as the guy who still rocks Third Eye Blind pretty hard in 2018.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yes, awful, then and now.

Old 10-06-2018, 02:07 PM   #6
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

lead singer bonus.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
This band is awful and you can trust my word as the guy who still rocks Third Eye Blind pretty hard in 2018.
I really need to get into post-1999 TEB.

ST & Blue are such jams.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I really need to get into post-1999 TEB.

ST & Blue are such jams.
Out of the Vein is less good than those albums, but definitely has some great moments.

Ursa Major was crap.

Dopamine was surprisingly great.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:50 PM   #9
D.
Consume my pants.

I saw them in 2003 on a whim. I saw the marquee on a venue in town and it was happening that night so i was like ok.

It was a lot of fun but i was unfamiliar w their newest alb at the time

Old 10-06-2018, 06:46 PM   #10
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
I saw them in 2003 on a whim. I saw the marquee on a venue in town and it was happening that night so i was like ok.

It was a lot of fun but i was unfamiliar w their newest alb at the time
Yeah, that would've been Out of the Vein. Really solid album. Crystal Baller, Forget Myself, Good Man/Another Life, Palm Reader are some peak 3eb.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Well, count me as a guy who loves Live AND Third Eye Blind. Regarding 3EB, Out of the Vein is my favorite of their albums. Shame it got so ignored. I think all of their albums are pretty good but Blue is probably my least favorite. Camouflage is (IMO) the worst song Jenkins has ever written, and Red Summer Sun sounds like a bad ACDC cover band (the chorus anyway).

Anyway, D., if you're looking to get into Live, Throwing Copper is probably their heaviest album. Mental Jewelry and Secret Samadhi are also pretty great, though Kowalczyk kinda half-assed it on the lyrics on the latter. The Distance to Here and V are also pretty good. Really, anything with Kowalczyk is alright, but skip the album they recorded with the other guy. Kowalczyk's solo material is also worth a listen.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:14 PM   #12
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Well, count me as a guy who loves Live AND Third Eye Blind. Regarding 3EB, Out of the Vein is my favorite of their albums. Shame it got so ignored. I think all of their albums are pretty good but Blue is probably my least favorite. Camouflage is (IMO) the worst song Jenkins has ever written, and Red Summer Sun sounds like a bad ACDC cover band (the chorus anyway).

Anyway, D., if you're looking to get into Live, Throwing Copper is probably their heaviest album. Mental Jewelry and Secret Samadhi are also pretty great, though Kowalczyk kinda half-assed it on the lyrics on the latter. The Distance to Here and V are also pretty good. Really, anything with Kowalczyk is alright, but skip the album they recorded with the other guy. Kowalczyk's solo material is also worth a listen.
Ursa Major over Blue? That's fucked up, son.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Ursa Major over Blue? That's fucked up, son.
I wouldn't rank Ursa Major as one of their strongest efforts, but it came out during a really positive and optimistic time in my life and I guess I'll always associate it with that. And "Can You Take Me", "Bonfire" and "Water Landing" are so great, they make me overlook some of the album's weaker tracks.

BTW, I don't want to knock Blue too much; there's some great stuff on that album too. "Farther", "1000 Julys" and "Wounded" are some of their best.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:41 PM   #14
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:

Yeah, I'll definitely give em a chance.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:23 PM   #15
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Quote:
I wouldn't rank Ursa Major as one of their strongest efforts, but it came out during a really positive and optimistic time in my life and I guess I'll always associate it with that. And "Can You Take Me", "Bonfire" and "Water Landing" are so great, they make me overlook some of the album's weaker tracks.

BTW, I don't want to knock Blue too much; there's some great stuff on that album too. "Farther", "1000 Julys" and "Wounded" are some of their best.
Ursa has a handful of really good tracks, but kind of represents a low spot for the "band" in my opinion. But I get the personal connection thing. Dopamine hit me at the right time -- going through a lot of changes and being upended/uncertain of where I was going -- and the record is a reflection of that mindset.

The only track I skip on Blue is Darwin. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #16
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Yeah, I'll definitely give em a chance.
Yeah, it's worth it. The new EP is short but good, and it has some of the heaviest tracks since Throwing Copper. There are surprisingly no mellow acoustic songs on it; I guess they wanted to make it clear that they came back to RAWK. Waterfall and Brother are vintage Live; I highly recommend both tracks. The only weak spot I would say is the Venus in Furs cover. It's not by any means bad but it pales in comparison to the Pumpkins cover. Ed's vocals on it are better than Billy's were but the SP arrangement was just better overall, IMO.

But all in all, a very good comeback EP that leaves be hungry for a full album. Hopefully they'll release one next year.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #17
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Ursa has a handful of really good tracks, but kind of represents a low spot for the "band" in my opinion. But I get the personal connection thing. Dopamine hit me at the right time -- going through a lot of changes and being upended/uncertain of where I was going -- and the record is a reflection of that mindset.

The only track I skip on Blue is Darwin. Diff'rent strokes, I guess.
Yeah, I do agree that Ursa was kind of a low spot for the band overall, especially since Jenkins (again) decided to screw over his guitar player shortly after the album was released. And I suppose at that point they were seen as passe. Still love the music though.

Yeah, Darwin is a weird one. That whole "spaceman fucked an ape" line was always like, "WTF?" but I like that song nonetheless. I wasn't sure about it at first but it grew on me.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #18
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

I might actually see 3rd Eye in New Orleans next week - I have a show of my own the next night & wanted to see David Cross on the Thursday before so, what better way to fill the Friday between

and yeah i've never heard anything post-Blue (save for "Crystal Baller" which is golden, & that cover of "Mine" by Beyonce which was cool that it existed more than anything else) either