Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #91
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
He is a piece of shit. I would refer to him as "Alt Lite"

He is repackaging decades old anti liberal anti feminist anti black vitriol into a form that is easier for "centrists" to accept. The right wing was ranting about post Modernism 30 years ago.

Most of his ranting is effectively straw man arguments.
This is an hilarious and emotive repsonse. I feel like Marilyn Manson.

It's easy to forget that his main argument is that his government (Canadian) is trying to force him to learn and use a new language, and he feels that's not how language works.

If he accidentally (or purposefully) doesn't recognize someone as "owl-kin" or whatever, he could be legally guilty of a hate crime.

That's insane because there are currently well over 100 "new genders" which are constantly splintering off into smaller and smaller groups with newer languages to identify themselves. Which is fine. But you can't legally prosecute people for not knowing new rules that were just made up by the people who want to enforce those rules.

It would be like banning every user on this board who tried to type the word "inc-lude"

Old 10-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #92
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
pretty ignorant and I blame my poor articulation.
I feel like this 24/7

Old 10-07-2017, 01:58 PM   #93
slunken
Virgo

language is a social negotiation, not a hostage crisis.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:04 PM   #94
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Is that a descriptive or prescriptive idea about language though? Maybe in an ideal world language should be a social negotiation, but I think that control of symbology is basically like holding the "keys to the kingdom" in a way, and people are going to compete for that control when there is a disagreement, not sit down and try to compromise.

besides we do have gatekeepers of language (people who write dictionaries for example, or people in positions of power to come up with new terms and push for change in old ones) so it's definitely not as simple as everyone coming together and the consensus of everyone's thoughts becoming the "rules" like a democratic vote, you know?

Old 10-07-2017, 02:17 PM   #95
slunken
Virgo

It's difficult to navigate, because as a culture we're used to older words no longer becoming acceptable to the population (like gay, fag, n-word, ******, etc).

We're not really used to new words being introduced and enforced so heavily. Usually they would start on a small scale and work their way up, or with older words they would work their way down.

I don't have a problem with accommodating a person's personal preference, but what is crazy is if you refuse or ignore these new terms you may be guilty of hate speech. The law on the subject (in Canada) is the only thing that really makes me scratch my head.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #96
slunken
Virgo

I completely understand (or try to) where Jordan is coming from.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #97
slunken
Virgo

I feel so stupid for posting in this thread.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #98
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
If he accidentally (or purposefully) doesn't recognize someone as "owl-kin" or whatever, he could be legally guilty of a hate crime.
This isn't what any Canadian legislation mandates at all.

Old 10-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #99
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Americans trying to talk about Canadian politics on here is worse than when Canadians are weighing in on American politics.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:10 PM   #100
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:

It's easy to forget that his main argument is that his government (Canadian) is trying to force him to learn and use a new language, and he feels that's not how language works.

That's insane because there are currently well over 100 "new genders" which are constantly splintering off into smaller and smaller groups with newer languages to identify themselves. Which is fine. But you can't legally prosecute people for not knowing new rules that were just made up by the people who want to enforce those rules.

It would be like banning every user on this board who tried to type the word "inc-lude"
His arguments about the Canadian 'law' are complete nonsense. He utterly misrepresents it. The law is not applicable in the way that he states it is. In fact, within his province there has been near identical legialation in place for years. He never complained about the provincial law.

His arguments about being forced by the Federal government or even his own college are specious. He claims he can be fired or jailed, for instance, for mis gendering someone. NOT TRUE. He has made wild accusations about being threatened by his college. Not True. His own university has had to release official statements negating many of his accusations. The rest of his objections are similarly out of the bounds and application of the laws in his province and Canada, and also of the rules he works under at his college.

Like conservative arguments in the 80s and 90s against the armies of PC fanatics in our colleges, Peterson's insistance that his college or country has been taken over by marxist post modernists is simply ridiculous. There are no post modernists. The people he seems to fear so much on college campuses are a tiny number of powerless queers, women and minorities, most of which are just asking that teachers don't mistreat them or insult them in class.

There is not an anti free speech movement on the left or on college campuses. In fact, college students today are MORE supportive of free speech and in the USA seem to be MORE respectful of basic constitutional rights. Peterson is simply another in a decades long conservative media narrative to argue otherwise.

somewhat tangential, but there an interiesting piece in salon.com right now that touches on free speech and college students.

https://www.salon.com/2017/10/07/col...t-you-to-know/

Old 10-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #101
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
This isn't what any Canadian legislation mandates at all.
This

peterson has been all over American Media (like Fox News) with these accusations and they are patently false.

Old 10-07-2017, 03:19 PM   #102
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

FTR I am sick to death of talking about whether bigots have great arguments for shitting on people. This is not a thread for arguing about whether Alex Jones is a genious

Old 10-07-2017, 03:53 PM   #103
Shallowed
Braindead

Please stay on topic or I will alert Ram27 to this thread

Old 10-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #104
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Let's all go for a rainbow unicorn ride!

Old 10-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #105
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Americans trying to talk about Canadian politics on here is worse than when Canadians are weighing in on American politics.
Sorry, dude.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #106
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

one continent

one love

https://i.elitestatic.com/content/up...5405/giphy.gif

Old 10-08-2017, 04:33 AM   #107
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

It's true man... My pops was saying the other day that for all the shit that America gets around here, they take freedom and the constitution very seriously and have respect for human rights in a way that Canada doesn't.

Some old man awhile back from a town up from mine had some crack-heads breaking into his compound and he was scared to death, so he went out, shot the one dude in the leg, had the crackheads go scrambling and leave and then within an hour a handful of cop cars are at his door and he's being arrested and ended up having to spend a significant time in the slammer for assault... And of course it's on his criminal record and he can't go to the States anymore or anything... Total joke.

So for all the shit that the USA gets around international circles, you guys should at least be thankful and respect the good aspects of living by your constitution

Old 10-08-2017, 04:45 AM   #108
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
There is not an anti free speech movement on the left or on college campuses. In fact, college students today are MORE supportive of free speech and in the USA seem to be MORE respectful of basic constitutional rights. Peterson is simply another in a decades long conservative media narrative to argue otherwise.
Dude... Bill Maher, the biggest liberal mouthpiece was banned from speaking at Berkley cause he was too offensive. Free speech is under attack right now, and it's basically a left-wing thing... Which sucks for you because common sense people are just voting Republican by default because the "micro-aggression" bullshit is too ridiculous for any sane minded person to put up with.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #109
Shallowed
Braindead

shut the fuck up, fuzzy

Old 10-08-2017, 05:22 AM   #110
fuzzyroes
Banned

***hugs for my friend shallowed***

Forgive a man for what he says in his darkest hours... Accept the man who wants to change

Old 10-08-2017, 05:53 AM   #111
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

you don't really, though

Old 10-08-2017, 08:19 AM   #112
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Dude... Bill Maher, the biggest liberal mouthpiece was banned from speaking at Berkley cause he was too offensive. Free speech is under attack right now, and it's basically a left-wing thing... Which sucks for you because common sense people are just voting Republican by default because the "micro-aggression" bullshit is too ridiculous for any sane minded person to put up with.
He was never banned from speaking at Berkeley. The university has not banned him. He was the commencement speaker at their graduation ceremonies 3 years ago.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #113
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Well this thread didn't deliver.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:44 AM   #114
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

why can't the non conformists have a safe space?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:46 AM   #115
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I can't post a gay unicorn gif without some third reich shitlord butting in

Old 10-08-2017, 11:30 AM   #116
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Agreed. If any coloured people don't like the way they feel like they are treated by the authorities in America, they should feel free to move back to whichever country they came from that American authorities fucked up through neoliberalism and regime change.
exactly. mad whites go back to europe!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #117
The Omega Concern
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
that guy is a straight up nazi sympathizer, NOT who this thread is for.

You, the dumbfuck pussy leftist, have rendered the meaning of a term like Nazi useless by spreading it to those who argue effectively against the hedonistic, nay nihilistic, nature of the lefts view on just about everything.

You have a man and a woman who follow the cues of their hormones that have been instilled since the dawn of man and you imply this is somehow offensive to those who are not straight.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being gay but I don't fully understand the push to identify straight folks for being straight as oppressive. This cult like thinking seems to run rampant with the naval-contemplative religious left.

Old 10-08-2017, 11:48 AM   #118
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
exactly. mad whites go back to europe!
I'll move to Sweden. My mom's people are fun and I like the weather.

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 10-08-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:25 PM   #119
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Do I get my selection of which countries from whence my ancestors originated, or is it like a dice roll, or...?

Old 10-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #120
slunken
Virgo

its 2pm and im still wearing only my underwear.

if i make it till nightfall i'm a "pajampion"