Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #1
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Default met the yellow swans tonight

went to the ecstatic yod in Northampton mass tonight (thurston moores little record store hang out) and got to see the yellow swans play.. they were fantastic! ended up talking with Gabe for a bit afterwards about his equipment, what he uses, how he learned guitar, hit a wall and decided to make noise.. super nice guy, then we taked a biut about how great and supportive the music scene is a around this area (i'm new here so he gave me a good heads up on who to see/meet, says he loves it here).

Anyway.. i have not heard much from them before and was wondering what anyone could recommend as far as records to purchase from them? i want to go back to the store tomorrow and pick some of their stuff up.

the store itself is really cool too.. the walls are covered in records, what looks like about 10,000 LPs.. thurstons collection. He's got probably about 200 sun ra records!! definately a cool ass place..

Old 10-23-2007, 11:52 PM   #2
MusicMan4

i guess bring the neon war home is the first yellow swans i would get

my favorite thing they've done is their collaboration with grey daturas but i h ave no idea how easy that would be to actually purchase

Old 10-23-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
paranoid
Minion of Satan

well he told me he just gave the yod an armful of their records to sell, but i didn't purchase any tonight because i had no cash on me.. so tomorrow i'll head back with a list.

so thanks!

Old 10-23-2007, 11:58 PM   #4
celluloid_love
Minion of Satan

descension is great too

Old 10-24-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

why not start with their new one, at all ends, possibly their most accessible record

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	yellow swans 3.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	32243  

Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM   #6
daydreamer999
Minion of Satan

can you ysi at all ends for me alex?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:17 AM   #7
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Yellow Swans - At All Ends (2007)

On their second album for Load, Gabriel Mindel Saloman and Pete Swanson again make a lot of righteously gloomy noise soundscapes for the masses they wouldn't have it any other way, of course. With Daniel Voss again providing engineering help while Marcelo Spina oversees production, Yellow Swans begin the album with the title track, a slow swell of a throbbing dark rhythm the bedrock for a series of overlaid drones and feedback wails, Swanson's guitar turning slowly into a triumphant crescendo somewhere between a minimal sitar piece and pure overload. It's perhaps the most straightforwardly rock thing the band's recorded in some time but even then it's not quite normal, and a good thing too. From there much of the album seems to take on a desert theme, at least due to three successive song titles "Stretch the Sands," "Our Oases," "Mass Mirage." Alliteration and assonance aside, all three find Swanson fully embraces spacerock dramatics filtered through the vast soundscapes created by the likes of Flying Saucer Attack, sheets of feedback howl and moan turning into something utterly transcendent, with "Our Oases" the most spectacular example even at being the shortest in length. "Endlessly Making an End of Things" concludes the album in a more astrigent fashion initially, though like the opener more and more sound builds on it while mournful wordless vocals snake through the mix in counterpoint as distant siren songs.

- Ned Raggett, All Music Guide

http://rs178.rapidshare.com/files/55...S-AAE-2007.zip

Old 10-27-2007, 05:15 AM   #8
daydreamer999
Minion of Satan

thanks

it's really really good actually, i think i like yellow swans even more in their new drone incarnation