Old 04-06-2015, 11:27 PM   #61
NovaFritz
Apocalyptic Poster

haha, actually this thread did inspire me to pick up a used copy for $4,
though I might be ready to trade it back now

Old 04-06-2015, 11:45 PM   #62
ButtHash
Demi-God

I love watching OG netphorians beef when I have no clue of their history. The idea of people sporadically coming back and fighting on this thing is hilarious. I mean read this thing.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:21 AM   #63
andrewface
Apocalyptic Poster

I always liked the song A100

Old 04-07-2015, 12:24 AM   #64
bunny
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337 View Post
It's the same guitar sound throughout the whole album, across the board.
this is categorically false.

here's info from an engineer that worked on the session:
Quote:
the guitar sounds were painstakingly worked on. Billy is the best guitar player i have ever worked with, and his attention to detail and sound sculpting abilities were labored over with love, as every song has only ONE take of guitar, with one sound, and one pass only. If he made a mistake, rewind, start over from the beginning. It made for some late nights.
I am not sure if he wants me to divulge his signal path right now, but to give clue, it was pretty much made out of one device, and on occasion we threw one of his huge huge collection of vintage pedals. He, Bjorn and I would sometimes spend a whole day making one guitar sound, tweaking until our ears bled, but it was a fun adventure.
source

for those of you too lazy to read the gearslutz thread, here is the post about the songwriting methodology
Quote:
ok, so to start to explain the methodology, …

it was called "four voicing" by us at the time…. essentially, and simply, the way it worked was this:

1. Billy would compose the outline to a song chordally. He would then play them to us on acoustic guitar or piano etc.

2. We would then figure out the chords, and map them out and divide them into the bass, tenor, alto and soprano parts of the voicing. Bon Harris was doing some serious study in composition at the time in los angeles, and had gotten quite involved in theory and method on this. He would then translate those parts to us on sheet music, with different sheet pieces for the four delineated parts.
3. so upon separating, or revoicing the chords in separate parts, the process was to then look at each individual voicing as a monophonic melodic element with which to generate ideas and motifs off of. So think of each part as containing a monophonic element that was to be approached as a "baseline" for interpretation.
Bon would print up or write down scores, which were then translated to midi to generate sound.

4.These parts were then modified and realized with their own separate synthesizer voice, usually originating from the doepfer or the roland system 100m…. which were then amplified through amps in the studio and brought back to tape or daw.

5. The combination of these four separate parts would either yield satisfactory or unsatisfactory results harmonically. If it passed muster, we would continue with overdubs in all the means i described earlier. It was at this point usually that drums were introduced. Then the sonic picture of the song would continue to develop, with Billy working either a preexisting vocal melody over it, or creating something new which was a result of what he heard in the result of the four voicing.

6. so after these parts were completed, and the vision of the song was solid, would then the guitar even be approached. Sure, the songs might have originally been composed on the guitar, but the guitar melodic line then applied would exist on the froth of the result, and being a step removed from the original composition, in that billy would compose the new part as a reaction to the interactions attained in the aforementioned process….

I am sure i'm screwing up my explanation of this somewhat, as it has been awhile, but it was pain-pain stakingly worked on and appealed to. there were no shortcuts, and it was a tremendous intellectual and artistic exercise, one which most would give up on half way through, but was seen till the bitter end! . Every day was spent with a different challenge, and it was far from the process involved in most records…..
In addition to that, like i have mentioned before, most, if all sounds were constructed from complete scratch. there were NO presets or samples on this record. Matt and I learned a shitload from Bon Harris during this process, as with every voicing, every patch chord would be yanked from the doepfer etc, and would start anew with an idea intended and we would spend hours to get the right sound. For years afterwards I have taken Bon's approach and try and start with a null state on synths and try and create the sound i hear or intend in my head. Yeah, sometimes people say presets are a starting point, but when you start to understand the electricity like he does, it is far far more rewarding to generate the sounds from nothing.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #65
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I can totes understand bunny being taken in by 1337.

But cocklobster? How? Why? BUT YOU ARE FROM THE SEA!!!

My soul grieves.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:45 AM   #66
FoolofaTook

I mean come on, thou quaffer of guinnesses, the dude compared teb to loveless. If that isn't a blatant symptom of trollishness, I don't know what is.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:18 AM   #67
bunny
Demi-God

eh
It gave me an excuse to post the link....

Old 04-08-2015, 02:04 AM   #68
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

but 1337 it's awesome when you have your page visible because it's a fucking hilarious page

i haven't seen *** comments that nasty since the great fuzzy-ro was kind enough to share his with us!

i don't know, it's a nice laugh when trying to get your mind off of something else

like the shitty tracks on future embrace

just kidding there are no such things, future embray is great and billy corgan is a god damned genius + god combo let it be heard

Old 04-08-2015, 04:22 AM   #69
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
the typeface on the cover is arial, that says it all really
yes it does

Old 04-08-2015, 02:02 PM   #70
FoolofaTook

I think that's the name of a system song

Old 04-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #71
werideatdusk
Ownz

Mina Loy, CameraEye, Now and Then, and Walking Shade are pretty untouchable.

I like Strayz, and a few others. But it's a good, not great album, and definitely not a lost classic.

I prefer Oceania to this one but that's just me. It's definitely one of the better post-2000 albums, for what it's worth. I really wish he had taken the artistic freedom he showed here and carried SP forwards rather than dragging it through the xerox machine (though, for all the hate it gets around here, at least on Teargarden he was just trying shit out and not trying to write a modern pop single 9 times over)

Old 04-08-2015, 11:36 PM   #72
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by toase View Post
ten years? FML
Yeah... I'm feeling my age now.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:05 AM   #73
Slurpee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bye june View Post
TheFutureEmbrace really is a great album, his last great one too.

It is indeed a gem.
Exactly how I feel.

Old 04-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #74
FoolofaTook

i feel ur mom

Old 04-11-2015, 11:29 PM   #75
fuzzyroes
Banned

hahaha

Old 04-11-2015, 11:42 PM   #76
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian zombie vampires View Post
it is amazing how The Future Embrace and Zeitgeist are the #1 and #2 least accurate album titles of all time.
https://matthieu.yiptong.ca/wp-conte...7835C48501.jpg

Old 04-12-2015, 05:32 AM   #77

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtHash View Post
I love watching OG netphorians beef when I have no clue of their history. The idea of people sporadically coming back and fighting on this thing is hilarious. I mean read this thing.

You're telling me

I'm guessing the Cocklobster is just angry that my Future Embrace thread has generated more interest in a week than anything he's posted here, well...ever.

Then he gets angry because he can't leave me hateful, shitty remarks on my user control panel. So he brings his insatiable appetite for internet chest-beating here, to the thread.

DURRRRR LOOK AT ME, EVERYONE. I AM THE COCKLOBSTER. YOU MUST KNOW THAT I AM A MIGHTIER CRUSTACEAN THAN THE 1337. DURRRRR I'M A GROWN MAN CALLING PEOPLE LITTLE FAGGOT BITCHES ON THE INTERNET DURRRRR

And on and on and on. Even Billy Baldness does not resort to such juvenile outbursts in his interviews.

Go away, Lobster. You are embarrassing yourself.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunny View Post
this is categorically false.

here's info from an engineer that worked on the session:

source
I'm hearing the same guitar sound on TFE, with my own ears.

You're believing some guy on the internet who claims he worked on TFE, but provides zero credentials to substantiate his claim.

So logically, you're wrong

Old 04-12-2015, 05:43 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
I mean come on, thou quaffer of guinnesses, the dude compared teb to loveless. If that isn't a blatant symptom of trollishness, I don't know what is.
wtf is teb?

Old 04-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #80
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

i'm guessing he meant tfe but instead typed teb (a common shortening of resident forum-user "The Exploding Boy"'s name) on account of he believes him to have a large cock, and thinks about it often

Old 04-12-2015, 06:48 AM   #81

lol probably true

Old 04-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #82
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

good lord what the fuck is even going on here his is surreal

& 1337, seriously, show your rep page you pussy! that was the funniest thing i've seen since Burt Henley swallowed an entire chocolate mousse... in the nude! with Barbara Demingsworth licking the drip drips from it all the while

Old 04-12-2015, 05:20 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
good lord what the fuck is even going on here his is surreal

& 1337, seriously, show your rep page you pussy! that was the funniest thing i've seen since Burt Henley swallowed an entire chocolate mousse... in the nude! with Barbara Demingsworth licking the drip drips from it all the while
Nah, it's much more fun to watch Lobster get super-raging mad in front of everyone and people bitch that they can't see it. Talk about needing a life

My rep page is kind of like Corgan's talent: maybe if people just pretend like it doesn't matter, it'll show back up one day

Old 04-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #84
slunken
Virgo

i wonder if 1337 thinks aaron north was a good guitarist in nin?

Old 04-12-2015, 09:09 PM   #85
redbull
Immortal

like the guitars have ever been the point of NIN

Old 04-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #86
The Omega Concern
Banned

The best compliment I can give this album is that a decade later it doesn't sound dated. Neither does Adore for that matter. Sounds closer to the overall sound that's out there in the pop mainstream anyway and compared to all that, both albums are brilliant.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:46 AM   #87
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i heard the album was supposed to be called TheFutureConspiracy because the CIA paid billy to make it

Old 04-13-2015, 01:50 AM   #88
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

j/k

http://i57.tinypic.com/j0zclt.jpg

or am i....?

http://jonathandallen.com/wp-content...1/07/bolly.jpg

Old 04-13-2015, 05:16 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
i wonder if 1337 thinks aaron north was a good guitarist in nin?
I've seen every NIN lineup since 1995, and the Aaron North lineup was the absolute worst.

North was awesome when he played in The Icarus Line. NIN...not so much

Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockLobster View Post
hahaha ok there... you're the guy who went complete ape shit. if you're going to pretend to act tough online you have to expect people to call you out.
if by acting tough you're referring to me having the guts to make a thread praising TFE, then yea I'll admit, that takes some balls on my part.

It's not like I'm patting myself on the back for it or anything though

Quote:
lol so dumb
lol agreed. You should stop embarrassing yourself

Quote:
then you got mad on the internet and hid your rep after. and now you can't stop crying about it even though you started all this.
Who's crying? You're the one incessantly whining like a little bitch about the fact you can't leave shitty remarks on somebody's rep page. Like I'm supposed to care? Like anything you could possibly say would be worth reading?

Like I said, it's much more fun to watch you stomp your feet because you're not getting your own little way

Quote:
I bet you're too stupid to shut the fuck up already...
So I'm stupid if I shut up? Right. Ooookay then. Because that makes a shitload of sense

Quote:
you'll just continue to show everyone how butthurt you are and that you're a coward bitch.
A coward bitch because how, exactly? You keep referencing this coward bitchness and yet clearly I'm holding my own and then some against your feeble little e-tantrum.

A coward because I don't have the time or the concern to read whatever third-rate insult you can post to somebody's control panel? When I can just watch you embarrass yourself here, in front of everybody

because it's so important to you, right?