Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Default Most Americans see lingering racism -- in others

(CNN) -- Most Americans, white and black, see racism as a lingering problem in the United States, and many say they know people who are racist, according to a new poll.

But few Americans of either race -- just one out of eight -- consider themselves racist.

And experts say racism has evolved from the days of Jim Crow to the point that people may not even recognize it in themselves. (Watch people in a Texas town where blacks are still afraid to stopVideo)

A poll conducted last week by Opinion Research Corp. for CNN indicates that whites and blacks disagree on how serious a problem racial bias is in the United States.

Almost half of black respondents to the poll -- 49 percent -- said racism is a "very serious" problem, while 18 percent of whites shared that view. Forty-eight percent of whites and 35 percent of blacks chose the description "somewhat serious."

Asked if they know someone they consider racist, 43 percent of whites and 48 percent of blacks said yes.

But just 13 percent of whites and 12 percent of blacks consider themselves racially biased.

Professor Jack Dovidio of the University of Connecticut, who has researched racism for more than 30 years, estimates up to 80 percent of white Americans have racist feelings they may not even recognize.

"We've reached a point that racism is like a virus that has mutated into a new form that we don't recognize," Dovidio said.

He added that 21st-century racism is different from that of the past.

"Contemporary racism is not conscious, and it is not accompanied by dislike, so it gets expressed in indirect, subtle ways," he said.

That "stealth" discrimination reveals itself in many different situations.

A three-year undercover investigation by the National Fair Housing Alliance found that real estate agents steered whites away from integrated neighborhoods and steered blacks in to predominantly black neighborhoods.

Racism also can be a factor in getting a job.

Candidates named Emily O'Brien or Neil McCarthy were much more likely to get calls back from potential employers than applicants named Tamika Williams and Jamal Jackson, even though they had the same credentials, according to a study by the University of Chicago.

Racial bias may even determine whether you can flag a cab.

New York Times writer Calvin Sims wrote a recent article about all the cabdrivers that refused to stop for him.

"If a cab passes you by, obviously it is frustrating, it's degrading and it's just really confusing, because this is akin to being in the South and being refused service at a lunch counter, which is what happened in the 60s and 70s," he said.
Victimized

The Opinion Research poll shows that blacks and whites disagree on how each race feels about the other.

Asked how many whites dislike blacks, 40 percent of black respondents said "all" or "many." Twenty-six percent of whites chose one of those replies.

On the question of how many blacks dislike whites, 33 percent of blacks said "all" or "many," while 38 percent of whites agreed -- a wash because of the poll's 5 percent margin of error.

About half of black respondents said they had been a victim of discrimination because of their race. A little more than a quarter of whites said they had been victims of racial discrimination.

The poll was based on phone interviews conducted December 5 through Thursday with 1,207 Americans, including 328 blacks and 703 non-Hispanic whites.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #2
HorseflyKing
Apocalyptic Poster

You're such a racist, Aeroplane.

Old 12-12-2006, 03:52 PM   #3
Nate the Grate
Minion of Satan

I thought this was common knowledge?

Old 12-12-2006, 04:05 PM   #4
BlueStar
Newly independent

Quote:
Racism also can be a factor in getting a job.

Candidates named Emily O'Brien or Neil McCarthy were much more likely to get calls back from potential employers than applicants named Tamika Williams and Jamal Jackson, even though they had the same credentials, according to a study by the University of Chicago.
In the world of politics and nonprofits, though, the opposite is often true as the offices of politicians, political campaigns, and nonprofits want to be diverse. For example, when the ACLU flew me from CA to NY for a job interview, one of the first things one of the interviewers said to me was essentially that he wasn't expecting me to be white (my last name is actually a common Philippino word). And similar things have happened at other job interviews, ex. "You'd be a great fit for this position, but we are looking to diversify our office and, well, just take look around this table." But, of course, that's not really racism and, uh, yeah, all I really have to offer on the subject is, well, duh.

Last edited by BlueStar : 12-12-2006 at 09:56 PM.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:31 AM   #5
JokeyLoki
has great self of steam.

Did you see this gem of a poll on cnn.com?

http://www.cnn.com/POLLSERVER/result...3.exclude.html

Old 12-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********
what is yr last name bluestar

Old 12-13-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Starla

I admit I'm racist against one particular group of people. Maybe because I've had some shitty encounters with them out here. I just detest the way they think and live.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:03 AM   #8
Kahlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Starla
I admit I'm racist against one particular group of people. Maybe because I've had some shitty encounters with them out here. I just detest the way they think and live.
The Polish??! ? Mexicans??!? Albanians!!!

Old 12-13-2006, 07:08 AM   #9
Starla

No, it's none of the above. I won't reveal what race they are, but I can say it's the girls/women who come from their country with this whole sense of entitlement and they are the epitome of the "princess" syndrome. Their parents already have money to begin with, and they shower it all on their little princesses. Then these bitches walk around in nothing but designer clothing, shoes, bags, and they all have a little dog to carry around with them and a louis vuitton doggie carrier to put them in. They have a cell phone glued to one ear and an ipod on the other. They drive down the street yapping on their phones in the luxury model cars mommy and daddy bought for them. They don't have to care about anything in the world....because all they need to worry about is having their nails done and shopping.

I know one of these people, and I fucking hate her with a vengence. She admittedly refuses to even talk to any men who don't have an expensive car, a big bank account, perfect clothes, and all of this other materialistic bullshit. She doesn't want to be ashamed and embarassed to be with a guy who doesn't have these things. Her biggest dream right now, is to find her rich white sugar daddy, hook him, then marry him. Her criteria is that he must have several credit cards for her to shop on, and that she not have to work.......ever.

There is shit load of these bitches out here and personally I wish they would go back to their country.

Old 12-13-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
BlueStar
Newly independent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
Nope.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:37 PM   #11
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
No, it's none of the above. I won't reveal what race they are, but I can say it's the girls/women who come from their country with this whole sense of entitlement and they are the epitome of the "princess" syndrome. Their parents already have money to begin with, and they shower it all on their little princesses. Then these bitches walk around in nothing but designer clothing, shoes, bags, and they all have a little dog to carry around with them and a louis vuitton doggie carrier to put them in. They have a cell phone glued to one ear and an ipod on the other. They drive down the street yapping on their phones in the luxury model cars mommy and daddy bought for them. They don't have to care about anything in the world....because all they need to worry about is having their nails done and shopping.

I know one of these people, and I fucking hate her with a vengence. She admittedly refuses to even talk to any men who don't have an expensive car, a big bank account, perfect clothes, and all of this other materialistic bullshit. She doesn't want to be ashamed and embarassed to be with a guy who doesn't have these things. Her biggest dream right now, is to find her rich white sugar daddy, hook him, then marry him. Her criteria is that he must have several credit cards for her to shop on, and that she not have to work.......ever.

There is shit load of these bitches out here and personally I wish they would go back to their country.
Beverly Hills?

Old 12-13-2006, 01:55 PM   #12
Mayfuck
Banned

yeah I was gonna say Persian/Iranians

Old 12-13-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Quote:

sounds like all of the girls i've met from Oman, although most of them were actually Pakistani or India.

there seems to be a horde of them that go to school in Montreal. all of their fathers are in the hotel business.

that being said i don't think i'd ever say something like this:
Quote:

Old 12-14-2006, 04:41 AM   #14
Starla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
Beverly Hills?
I'm talking the sf bay area.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:48 AM   #15
Starla

that being said i don't think i'd ever say something like this:

Quote:

I know. I'm awful. It's how I feel right at the moment. I'm in school with one of these princesses who doesn't have to work to bust her ass for tuition. Daddy pays her way. If someone is going to go to school, then fuck, don't sit there texting or painting your fingernails in class, and ditch half the time.
It's an insult to the people who really want to be there. They only take in so many students per year.

Old 12-14-2006, 06:05 AM   #16
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:

Chinese.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 AM   #17
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhh we're stereotypes, there must be more to life.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I know. I'm awful. It's how I feel right at the moment. I'm in school with one of these princesses who doesn't have to work to bust her ass for tuition. Daddy pays her way. If someone is going to go to school, then fuck, don't sit there texting or painting your fingernails in class, and ditch half the time.
It's an insult to the people who really want to be there. They only take in so many students per year.
at least they're good for the economy.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:45 PM   #19
zbeast78
Ownz

2006 has definitely been the year of the racial slur. everyone in hollywood has gotten in the act, that's for sure.

Old 12-19-2006, 05:39 AM   #20
Starla

I've experienced racism among my own race. If you're too light skinned you're not a "real indian". If you are too dark skinned, then you're not considered that pretty. Most native men want fairer skinned women. The darker skinned women hate the fairer skinned.
If you leave the res you may be tormented for living like whites. If you come back there to live then you are tormented for awhile about how you didn't make it out there.
If you marry outside of your race then you are called an iyeska breeder. You can't win!

Old 12-19-2006, 06:02 AM   #21
Mayfuck
Banned

i wonder why the only poll blacks and whites for these kinds of things. brownie and chinky have opinions too.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

everybodys fucking racist to some degree, or has a number of politcally incorrect opinoins about another race. i'm tired of this great deception the media seems to perpetuate.

why cant we just live with it. as long as we arent commiting genocide or denying anybody rights ... people talk shit about whites in front of me all the time. sure it sucks but i have more important things to worry about

Old 12-20-2006, 05:19 AM   #23
Starla

I had two mormons tell me once that there was a separate heaven for the black people. I was speechless lol

Old 12-20-2006, 01:09 PM   #24
Mayfuck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Connor
everybodys fucking racist to some degree
This simply isn't true. People like to say this to justify their own racism and it gets on my nerves.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:39 PM   #25
phaedrus
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
This simply isn't true. People like to say this to justify their own racism and it gets on my nerves.
and what definition of racism do you work with?

Old 12-20-2006, 04:26 PM   #26
Karl Connor
ADMlNISTRATOR

i just think a majority of people have opinions that arent PC. i've heard my fair share of white AND minority criticism over the years and its hard for me the think all opinions of _____ race fall under the right side of a polarity that's unbiased or kosher with everybody

Old 12-20-2006, 06:09 PM   #27
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I had two mormons tell me once that there was a separate heaven for the black people. I was speechless lol
well, it's true! just ask any southern baptist!

Old 12-22-2006, 07:53 PM   #28
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayfuck
i wonder why the only poll blacks and whites for these kinds of things. brownie and chinky have opinions too.
Well, according to their numbers there's a pretty good chance that the person who wrote the article is racist.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:01 PM   #29
Lie
Socialphobic

I like the way they mitigate it by saying "lingering racism." Like virtually everything other human phenomenon in the news these days, it comes off sounding like a medical problem.

"Hey Bob, has that racism cleared up yet? I myself have had a raging case of it on and off since June. I thought it was gone but I guess there must have been some kind of prejudicial residue in my ass because as soon as I stopped the medication, it flared up again."

Old 12-22-2006, 08:09 PM   #30
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Quote:

Rich girls?