yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

im sorry i answered a question.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:09 PM   #32
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
well, no one can take away your knowledge. unless they hit you so hard in the head and you turn into a vegetable. but you know what i mean. if you're happy with a person they can easily leave and make you sad. go with knowledge.
so your premise is happiness can only come through another person. where do you get that information from?

Old 03-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #33
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

it was just an example, yo.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #34
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

so what if happiness cannot be taken away

so what if happiness is hard to obtain and keep but still more worth the time and effort than sheer knowledge

i'm counting on dean_r_koontz here

Old 03-04-2008, 05:17 PM   #35
Mo
Immortal

Many reasons, none of which I'd like to discuss here. To make it simple: I got bored and didn't think I could motivate myself enough to achieve the grades I needed.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #36
Mo
Immortal

Also, because I suck at life.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #37
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

school must be really hard in austria

i finished second best of my year and i can't remember revising for a test or anything for more than half an hour

Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 PM   #38
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

and even that only in a few subjects like history or biology

Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #39
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

i think you're smart enough to finish school mo. you're much smarter than 90% of the classmates i had.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #40
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_r_koontz View Post
This must be a very coveted position for many people. it's not the grunt work but you don't have to be overtly creative or smart to do the job right AND it means you can tell even more people what to do. In this situation i would recommend social networking because the guys in that position will not listen to reasoning and they will try to shoot you down or steal your ideas (you will not be able to get an edge just by working, they probably work much as well). If you have any brilliant ideas, go with them to people higher up in the hierarchy and they will give you the spot for that.

problem solved.

in most companies, skipping a step in the hierarchy and going to someone above your manager is a problem unless you've got a real good reason for it. and it certainly won't create trust or loyalty with people at the level you skipped

Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #41
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

that's true. but i got the impression that these guys weren't letting him in on the cake even though he deserved it. you're not a surly guy like the antipop, you probably have allies everywhere through social connections.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #42
Warsaw
Minion of Satan

I tip my hat to you, Anders. I am impressed (as usual) with your insight.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM   #43
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

there's definately an inflation effect that's ruining your compliments. try to cut it down to about 25% of what it is now. in order to further increase the value of your positive remarks: find some enemies, be nasty. problem solved

Old 03-04-2008, 06:23 PM   #44
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
in most companies, skipping a step in the hierarchy and going to someone above your manager is a problem unless you've got a real good reason for it. and it certainly won't create trust or loyalty with people at the level you skipped
OK i might have been wrong. this glaring error is ruining this for me completely. you insufferable twat.

Old 03-04-2008, 06:28 PM   #45
wHATcOLOR

no man, i wasn't trying to be a know-it-all, i was just trying to voice what i've seen. there must exceptions to the rule i'd imagine.. especially if you're on friendly terms already with the person two levels up. or perhaps if there's a massive leap between your manager and his manager, but almost no difference between your manager and yourself, for example. but it's just something to be very wary of, and an area to tread carefully, since people may feel threatened and may see it as underhanded or backstabbing. i was just making sure the general rule was voiced, lest some younger people miss out on it and apply your specific advice to antipop's situation to every situation

Old 03-04-2008, 06:33 PM   #46
wHATcOLOR

at the end of it, a good manager should want to bring smarter people into the organization. poor managers, and those who lack intelligence or confidence are threatened by others with intelligence, and they don't hire or promote smart people or performers. a really good manager always wants to hire smarter, because it elevates the whole thing. a rising tide lifts all boats, y'know.

so if antipop's being held down, it's unfortunate and unhealthy, but super common. hopefully there's an ally you can find if it's a situation worth sticking out

Old 03-04-2008, 06:35 PM   #47
dean_r_koontz
Apocalyptic Poster

i was thinking of a situation where there is genuine animosity between you and the people at the level you want to get to. they give the mo horrible tasks, they wont let him get promoted. on the other hand, how long has he been in the position he's in and is there a big turnover of people in the project managment part of the organization?

Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #48
wHATcOLOR

yeah, i've got no idea of what the call center culture is like, i was only speaking from my own experience. for all i know, that kind of big-balls swagger might be just what they want to see.

the answer to those questions you just asked should help make it a little more clear

Old 03-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #49
noyen
Immortal

http://www.blogblogblogblogblogblogb...417626954f.jpg

Old 03-04-2008, 07:13 PM   #50
Mo
Immortal

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' Cherub View Post
school must be really hard in austria

i finished second best of my year and i can't remember revising for a test or anything for more than half an hour
I seriously don't think that school's any harder here - the private school I went to from 5th to 9th grade may be, but the public high school [BORG, to be specific] sure enough wasn't.

Quote:
i think you're smart enough to finish school mo. you're much smarter than 90% of the classmates i had.
Thanks? I already managed to pass the first out of seven major exams for my qualifications, and I'm currently studying Latin like crazy.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:18 PM   #51
Mo
Immortal

Thumbs up

Wow guys, thanks.

I guess part of the story is that I'm really just ungrateful - I have no qualifications whatsoever [besides some rhetoric skills in German], I didn't even finish school yet, and I'm already in a better position than most of the people I started or worked with over the years, with all of them being older than me. Most of them never leave the mind-numbingly stupid call-center itself.

I will think about your wise words, people.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:58 PM   #52
Shapan
Socialphobic

dean,
ive been sick the past week, i took a 5 day antibiotics course (i dont know if you're familiar with azithromycin at all) that usually does the trick, but i finished that course earlier in the morning and i still have a pretty bad cough. not nearly as sick as i was on saturday but still pretty sick. my car also broke down last week and is at the shop, so the only food i have within walking distance is crap fast food, really.

im drinking plenty of water, and i might make a loooong walk to albertsons for some fruit i suppose. i definitely dont want to take any more antibiotic courses, any personal remedies for i should do to try and get over this little sickness sooner? usually medicine works, but this is probably more of a flu than anything else. the worst seems to be done.

Old 03-05-2008, 02:40 AM   #53
I'm Hardcore
Banned

i want some posing rocks

Old 03-05-2008, 04:39 AM   #54
Dead Frequency
Minion of Satan

Location: They don't know who did it, but they're looking for hardened criminals

I've met a lot of really great people in Colorado, most of which are from other countries. I get along with the majority of them. However there are a couple of people I can't get along with. One is reasonable. I hit on his girlfriend, while drunk, in front of him. Both him and his girlfriend are both really cool (guy from New Zealand, girl from Scotland). I don't know how to make things right, what do I do?

The other is a girl from New Delhi. When I first met her she was acting flirtatious and with interest, but when I asked her out to movie and a dinner she did a total flip on me. She ignored at first, then turned into a total bitch. Everytime I speak, even lightheartedly, she wigs out on me and acts fucked up . . . making me want to back hand the bitch. But instead I back off leave the room and smoke a cigarette. How do I make things at least tolerable between the both of us? It's obvious she isn't interested, but big fucking deal. Should I just leave the bitch alone, as I'm not interested anymore, or try to break things out to a friendly level where she doesn't make me want to take a shit on her face everytime I see it?

Old 03-05-2008, 04:53 AM   #55
Luke de Spa
someone more...punk rock?

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

Quote:
my problem is the eternal question of whether knowledge or happiness should be the ultimate goal in life
your ultimate goal should be to maximise the total sum of utility across the population of morally relevant agents you find yourself in a position to affect. reflect on whether the acquistion of knowledge, happiness, both or neither will best enable you to achieve said utility maximisation and act accordingly

i mean, DUH!!!!!

edit: i mean, PROBLEM SOLVED

Old 03-05-2008, 05:59 AM   #56
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

yawn

Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 AM   #57
Luke de Spa

Location: Ice cream pig out in M1-aud is why i don't play plug in baby the wrong way, like you

yeah this is heavy stuff. better go get another crate bro

Old 03-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #58
aurel
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
That will go great with my posing pouch, thanks.

Old 03-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #59
Luke de Spa

you're a butt, you butt

Old 03-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #60
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

lately ive been experiencing really severe depression. i mean, real extreme emptiness.
and im starting to get really worried about it, because my life is actually alright recently...
im gathering a lot of self confidence, i am becoming more peaceful with who i am, i kind of believe in myself more. i have been so insecure for as long as i can remember, almost, so this is so refreshing. it feels like im born again. but then im alone at home and in a millisecond i feel like im falling down.
im sort of manic depressive. im used to having these reasonless 'waves' of very passionate emotions, be it happiness or sadness (usually the latter), but now when a wave of depression comes, it really fucking hits me hard. i mean, i could barely do anything, i am unmotivated.
and above all this, im with this girl that im really starting to develop feelings for, the first one to move anything at all in my heart in a long time... but she's leaving for a 6 months trip to india in a month and although im trying to prepare myself, its going to destroy me.
it started off a few months ago as something really light and fun, but things are changing and i can see that its the same way for her as well.

to be completely honest, im not sure those two problems are connected with each other but still, an observation - not even an advice - would be refreshing.