Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2015, 07:37 PM   #511
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
well they do refer to it as the marvel cinematic universe.

it's to be seen more like a series. there will be more episodes. If you'e coming into this movie fresh, then yeah, you are meant to feel like there's bits missing.

Idris Elba has been Heimdall in the two Thor movies ftr.
yeah i get that, i've seen a bunch of these movies (maybe most of them at this point, even), i know idris elba was in the thor movies

my point was just that you can't not stay on the lookout for plot clues for future films because at a certain point you'll have no chance of keeping up even if you're not into comics

Old 05-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #512
bignothing
Demi-God

I've never read comics beyond like Watchmen and (terrible) Buffy Season 8, but I'm all about all those Marvel movies. Though I do see them as Fun rather than Good Movies. Maybe I should read them, but I wouldn't know where to start.

It does bother me that back stories on all these characters keep changing, or how there are alternative universes for the same characters. But I guess there isn't really an alternative to that. Also glad that Joss is out, I prefer him writing his own characters.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #513
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

do they do that? mess with the backstories? i had assumed they were at least making somewhat of an attempt at cohesion

Old 05-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #514
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

They adapt. I don't think Hawkeye was ever presented as a former criminal for one. And technically he should be getting extensive training from cap.he was kinda his protege for a long time.

banner and black widow were never a thing and make no sense together anyway.

Old 05-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #515
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

i meant internal cohesion, i don't care about what happens in the comics

Old 05-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #516
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

oh i see

Old 05-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #517
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Day Spa View Post
do they do that? mess with the backstories? i had assumed they were at least making somewhat of an attempt at cohesion
even in the comics they fuck with the back stories. they reboot periodically. there is no one definitive backstory for each super hero

Marvel at least makes an attempt to connect their tv shows and movies. they all play in the same 'universe'. DC doesn't Their TV shows and films aren't connected. There are characters on their TV series that are also in their movies and they're very different.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:34 PM   #518
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Watched The Imitation Game and Wid on the fight back this weekend.

Both were well done. I'm also slow at seeing popular movies.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:01 PM   #519
Starla

I watched Maggie last night.. it was slow and kind of meh...

I watched Sunshine (2007) this morning.. loved it.

Old 05-24-2015, 11:03 PM   #520
Starla

Has anyone seen Slow West yet?

Old 05-25-2015, 12:13 AM   #521
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
even in the comics they fuck with the back stories. they reboot periodically. there is no one definitive backstory for each super hero

Marvel at least makes an attempt to connect their tv shows and movies. they all play in the same 'universe'. DC doesn't Their TV shows and films aren't connected. There are characters on their TV series that are also in their movies and they're very different.
sounds like a crap time and i award them no points

Old 05-25-2015, 12:27 AM   #522
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starla View Post
Has anyone seen Slow West yet?
I want to as soon as possible - Fassbender!

Old 05-25-2015, 01:41 AM   #523
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
i think the fact the billboard was in italian gave it away....
oh, uh... yeah. Good catch. I can see why they hired you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
and you claim like comics? wtf

are you more of the kind of person who thinks Batman super seriousness is way better?
Tone doesn't really dictate whether a movie is good or bad for me.

I mean, yeah, two of my favorite superhero films are Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. But then my others are the Richard Donner Superman films and Spider-Man 2.

But yeah, the first two Nolan Batman films, I would consider good films. I just think that they explored their themes with a bit more depth than what I've seen from Marvel Studios, and had more dimensional characters. I wouldn't say the Marvel Studios films are bad, they just seem a little bit too typical "summer blockbuster," what with half of Avengers being punching aliens and the other half being one-liners. I know that it's en vogue for movies to "not take themselves too seriously" or else be chastised for being too full of themselves or something, but I generally think it's much more painfully self-conscious for a film to be like "oh don't worry, we're not actually taking this seriously, we know it's silly! We're cool, too! You're laughing with us, not at us!" than it is for a film to genuinely try to treat its subject matter as something worthy of a thoughtful narrative.

That doesn't mean that being serious = good. I mean, the shitty film that effectively killed my interest in the genre and made me feel like getting off of the rollercoaster was the mirthless Man of Steel, which tried to superficially ape Nolan's Batman films (they even marketed it with his name more prominently than they did with Snyder's name, despite the fact that Nolan essentially had nothing to do with the project aside from getting his buddy Goyer the screenwriting job and maybe a very early vague pitch). The film is pretty dumb and about on the same level as Green Lantern quality-wise, but dresses it up with muted colors, faux-angst, and destruction to try to convince people it's doing something profound when it doesn't deliver on it's proposed themes or even bother to follow its own internal logic.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:03 AM   #524
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

i think marvel's tone is about right. like i feel the avengers films are about as serious as they need to be when they have to be. It's not like there's never any humor or one liners in modern comics. besides everyone loves a hero with an occasional one liner. personally i miss cheesy one liners James Bond for example.

as for Guardians which was more comedy through and through, you cant sell that type of films with those type of characters to the average movie going audience by taking yourself seriously. Anyway..i did almost cry when groot ''died''

Old 05-25-2015, 09:20 AM   #525
slunken
Virgo

Mr. Majestyk
Escape From Alcatraz
American Ninja 2

Old 05-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #526
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Mad Max: Fury Road: 9/10
Wolf Of Wall Street: 9/10

Old 05-25-2015, 10:48 AM   #527
slunken
Virgo

They Live
Houseguest

Old 05-25-2015, 10:52 AM   #528
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I'm definitely more of a Dark Knight / Winter Soldier type of guy than a Avengers / Avengers 2 type of guy. I have no time for the more light-hearted fantastical comic book films aimed at teenagers. I hated Iron Man 2 and I hated the original Spider-man films for the most part. I want to see Man of Steel. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:14 AM   #529
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

wolf of wall street would have been good if it was an hour shorter. as is it's a 4/10 imo. the only really great thing about it was those scenes you see from dicaprio's point of view and then from reality and they're all fucked up. and i like him as an actor, so thats not why i didnt like it

Old 05-25-2015, 11:31 AM   #530
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

i didn't like this film much at all. like i get that it's over the top woohoo on drugs nonsense but i don't know. then again i hate diciprio.

i'm really not sold on post 90's scorsese. i don't think i really cared for anything he's done since.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:32 AM   #531
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

but then again..it all fucking has dicrapio in it. why dont these two fuck already.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #532
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
wolf of wall street would have been good if it was an hour shorter. as is it's a 4/10 imo. the only really great thing about it was those scenes you see from dicaprio's point of view and then from reality and they're all fucked up. and i like him as an actor, so thats not why i didnt like it
i agree that it runs for too long, but when i finished watching it, i didn't feel like i just watched a three hour movie. and more importantly, there weren't any spots that i would take out, in retrospect. it was pretty great and engaging imo.

different strokes though. i just love scorsese's work so much. he's still totally got it

Old 05-25-2015, 05:12 PM   #533
Eulogy
huh

Fury Road: A-

Really good but the hype made my expectations way too high.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #534
slunken
Virgo

i downloaded a cam rip of fury road which is the equivalent of streaming music on spotify

Old 05-25-2015, 06:05 PM   #535
Eulogy
huh

Tom Hardy is also insanely attractive. Gooooood lord. Unf.

Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #536
Lucky Day Spa
mirrar quit netphoria

obligatory bane impersonation / this is caine fuck

Old 05-25-2015, 07:14 PM   #537
MusicMan4

wolf of wall street only feels too long when it makes an abrupt tone change
it's celebrating the unrepentant debauchery as comedy (successfully to me) and then all of a sudden he's punching his wife and crashing his car with his kid in it and it's like they realized oh we should make this dramatic here to make sure we get an oscar nom
which actually worked for them, so whatever

Old 05-25-2015, 07:16 PM   #538
MusicMan4

The Dark Knight Rises
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
The Avengers
Batman Begins
The Avengers: Age of Ultron
The Dark Knight
Iron Man 1
everything else is basically hot piss
i am not currently prepared to defend my stance on TDKR because I've done it so many times that I'm exhausted so please don't bother to argue
or i mean do so because what else is there to do
what am i gonna go read another cracked list

Old 05-25-2015, 07:17 PM   #539
MusicMan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
A-
expectations way too high.
hmm

Old 05-25-2015, 07:28 PM   #540
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris Hilton View Post
wolf of wall street only feels too long when it makes an abrupt tone change
it's celebrating the unrepentant debauchery as comedy (successfully to me) and then all of a sudden he's punching his wife and crashing his car with his kid in it and it's like they realized oh we should make this dramatic here to make sure we get an oscar nom
which actually worked for them, so whatever
i just felt like i was watching the same scenes over and over basically, how fucked up can we make them act. i have no problem with the unrepentant debauchery it's just like how many times do we need to see them fuck hookers i mean really i got the point after the first 5 times