Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-22-2015, 10:20 PM   #151
Ram27
dumb

WPC doesn't care about the current fanbase though (aside from getting reissue $$)

Old 01-23-2015, 12:07 AM   #152
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

I know but I feel like it would be good for the current fanbase as well as any new one. His only other option is actually making something modern, not his version of pop.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:09 AM   #153
Elphenor
Braindead

He should either try to create something that doesn't exist or he should retire

Old 01-23-2015, 01:40 AM   #154
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I feel like monuments is actually modern bill's attempt at a Siamese ii. To my ears it's the most pumpkins-influenced of the solo records he's given us.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:49 AM   #155
fuzzyroes
Banned

It's not an attempt at SD, but it's a sonically inspired effort. It's a good listen. It's the best shit he's made since Zeitgeist in my opinion... And in many ways it's better than Zeitgeist... In some ways not.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:51 AM   #156
washer
Pledge

http://i.imgur.com/TeKwC2v.jpg

Old 01-23-2015, 01:52 AM   #157
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

imma listen to this turd album again and see if i like it

Old 01-23-2015, 01:53 AM   #158
fuzzyroes
Banned

LOL dude sells 10 million records for 1 release in the United states, wins a grammy, sells out out an arena tour and he thinks he was never "celebrated".

Dude doesn't realize that his artistic output has just deteriorated.

Old 01-23-2015, 11:35 AM   #159
bobliefeld
Pledge

I think MTAE is worth listening to once and some of the songs sound interesting but I'm not sure how much of that is down to Billy.

I like Dorian but I'm not sure I could even call it a song. It's pretty much garbage and the vocals are ok at best. It sounds very nice though. So for me, assuming the sound and synths are down to Howard Willing (because in 20+ years of doing synth music Billy hasn't once demonstrated any ability at all), Billy is the weak link on his own album.

Siamese Dream is great, MCIS is great if you're an emotionally unhealthy teenager, Adore is pretty good.. but really Billy is someone with a history of releasing bad music. He's been at this longer now than The Beatles + John Lennon was and still hasn't got to the point of writing something as smart and mature as "In My Life".

I wish interviewers would take him to task on some of the bullshit he says. What exactly does he deserve celebrating for and what form should this celebration be in? It'd be great to know what he wants? International WPC Day.

Old 01-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #160
bye june
Ownz

wat

Old 01-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #161
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobliefeld View Post
but really Billy is someone with a history of releasing bad music. He's been at this longer now than The Beatles + John Lennon was and still hasn't got to the point of writing something as smart and mature as "In My Life".
What a load of bull. History of releasing bad music? 1991-2000 was nothing but solid releases. BC has written plenty of 'mature' songs and he's written songs as good or better than the Beatles. 'Thirty-Three' for instance is as honest and humble as 'In My Life'. 'Mayonaise' is as vulnerable as anything on Plastic Ono Band.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:00 PM   #162
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
Pisces is already like SD 2
It's also "Gish 2"

Old 01-23-2015, 03:17 PM   #163
run2pee
Minion of Satan

What I meant is that while bill continues to pay lip service to the idea of avoiding a rehash of old pumpkins sounds and "pushing the brand forward" he seems to be inching ever closer to those sounds with each release. I have no problem with a pumpkins influenced solo effort from bill. It's the glaring, gigantic disconnect between what he says and what I hear that makes it so frustrating to take him seriously anymore.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:20 PM   #164
run2pee
Minion of Satan

I mean, besides the fact the music itself is mostly uninspiring.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #165
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

There hasn't been real inspired guitar/drums interplay since Mellon Collie. Oceania, I'd argue, is the closest he's come since.

That doesn't mean I like Oceania over everything post-MCIS.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #166
slunken
Virgo

I think it does

Old 01-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #167
Catherine Wheel
Banned

Cash Car Star has great guitar / drum interplay. And so does I of the Mourning.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:13 PM   #168
DemonUnicorns
Ownz

So songs here and there do, but a whole album? SD and MCIS are interplay for a full album.

Old 01-24-2015, 10:43 AM   #169
bobliefeld
Pledge

Yes ok mate. Just stating my opinion. I don't think he ever stepped up to that level and feel that it's a bit shit of him to expect to be treated as though he's an all time great. By the standards he judges other people's work (good = selling 10 million copies) he's not released anything worth listening to in a long long time.

Old 01-24-2015, 11:05 AM   #170
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

He is an all-time great though.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:47 AM   #171
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
What I meant is that while bill continues to pay lip service to the idea of avoiding a rehash of old pumpkins sounds and "pushing the brand forward" he seems to be inching ever closer to those sounds with each release. I have no problem with a pumpkins influenced solo effort from bill. It's the glaring, gigantic disconnect between what he says and what I hear that makes it so frustrating to take him seriously anymore.
not hearing this at all tbh.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:48 AM   #172
RenewRevive
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
"but really Billy is someone with a history of releasing bad music. He's been at this longer now than The Beatles + John Lennon was and still hasn't got to the point of writing something as smart and mature as "In My Life"."

Comments like this are indicative of someone who claims to 'know a lot about' or have a 'classical understanding of' music; the kind of people who think it's sacrilegious to say that the Pumpkins ever did anything as 'smart' or 'mature' as the Beatles of Pink Floyd. It's backward-thinking, drone-like bullshit.

Any real music enthusiast, i.e., someone who is actually moved by the power of music would not argue that the Pumpkins music does not have an emotional and musical depth only realised by very few artists.

You'd have to be a complete fucking idiot or emotionally numb to listen to Siamese Dream and not have your mind blown and emotions roused. I have no idea it that makes it 'smart' or 'mature' but I also don't give a fuck!

Old 02-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #173
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenewRevive View Post
not hearing this at all tbh.
Zeitgeist wasn't quite a solo record but started the trend when bill swung back to the guitars and the "darkness," retreating from the more adventurous sounds of future embrace.

oceania begins by copping the opening to Cherub Rock and proceeds to inch a bit closer to a pumpkins influence, in that more ambiguous moods and textures are blended with the guitars and darkness. To my ears, chimera and inkless are most successful at conjuring some golden age pumpkins feelings.

monuments I'm hearing textbook pumpkins vibes in the whole of dorian and one and all, "it goes (oooh oooh)" in tiberius, the "oooh what becomes of us" in anaise, the big riff that's half of monuments.

These things are ok I guess but I'd love someday to put on a bill solo record (or "sp" record) where for once he stops giving a fuck and gives us the "new form" he was claiming to have invented before monuments came out. Go fucken weird, bill, fuck the teens and be a weird old man. We'll love you for it.