Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 07-07-2014, 02:16 AM   #91
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
i don't believe your bit about being asked to playtest games and get paid for it. in all of my 13 something years of making video games, never once has anyone ever been given any money. on AAA titles. this includes microsoft, ea, activision, take2, ubisoft and acclaim (and dozens more). free pizza and soda, yes. free video games highly likely. i call bullshit.
I just saw this because i'd skipped the first page entirely because i actually forgot i even made that post....and believe it. I receive a mail for playtests about once every three weeks (not that i do most of them, for one they question you on what you played and all and if you don't fit the profile theyre looking for..its so specific too...did you play x game and how far did you get and all that) and they either pay you money OR you pick the same value in games (and yeah they always seem to push for that over the check...). the check takes like two weeks to get to you but i never pick games. Of course a 200$ playtest is long. Like 3 or 4 days of 5 or 6 hours. The most paying one i did was actually 160. Played Assassin's Creed: Revelations for 3 days of about 6 hours. Its not well paid for the hours. On the other hand all you do is play. I gues youre right though, its not money as in "cold hard cash". It's a check.

And as for having to listen to me like trots mentioned...well... you fill questionaires more often than not but they do ask you some questions. The AC one i was the only one left at the end cause apparently i sucked more than the 5 other guys and finished the content like an hour later. Anyway the guy supervising me i guess because he had nothing left to do seemed interested in my more in depths opinions and i shared with him why i thought the AC games were alright but not great (i actually remember replaying a sequence over and over on that one and swearing under my breath and he moved forward and went "you're allowed to think this is "fucking retarded" but i'd like you to explain to me why"). He actually thought maybe i reviewed games for a living... I wish. (though no one would hire me they'd be like fuck, you have to like something sometimes you know)

Seriously none of the people i ever did this with care about sharing their opinions with the devs which i think kinda sucks. Of course i'm aware that whatever i may tell them they wont' really give a shit about. I remember on Revelations I did tell them this sequence where you have to like defend fortifications from attacks with canons and shit was boring and sure enough when the reviews came out, nobody liked that bit. It seems to me by the time playtests are done games are too far along to really make any significant changes.

I've also done EA cell phone games playtests, ALSO paid with money but in the form of prepaid credit cards.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 AM   #92
Elphenor
Braindead

You're a trippy dude

Old 07-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #93
Elphenor
Braindead

Do you actually make enough money to live through just doing random shit?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:50 AM   #94
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

yes though the biggest amount DOES come from medical trials (i make between 6 to 8000$ a year with those, which at 6000$ about covers my yearly rent). And live on is barely. I'm good with money. I have to be. I don't go hungry (though i dont eat that well because of budget) and i pay for tv internet and phone but i had to take a special payment agreement for people with low income with the electricity provider because i was indebted to them like crazy and they were threatening to cut power. I also have a supremely cheap rent for the area i live in. I lucked out on that one. There is no extra though. I survive.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:56 AM   #95
Elphenor
Braindead

Crazy

Old 07-07-2014, 03:24 AM   #96
absof
Demi-God

I had to put 800 letters through a folding machine today and the machine didn't even seal the envelopes..

Old 07-07-2014, 03:53 AM   #97
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Whats the proper protocol?
"no, i don't have my card with me."

the truth is that you don't have a card, but you can't say that, because then they start asking if you'd be interested in a loyalty card.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #98
Cool As Ice Cream

i've done that as well. it makes them act all uncomfortable for some reason. also, it's a longer explanation than the lie. and the lie also saves them the trouble of the sign up talk.

i just find it's the easiest way to get past it. just say you don't have your card with you. and then they're sometimes like "oh, i'll put your points on the ticket and then you can add them later" and then i'm like "that's perfect, thanks" or "yeah whatever grmbl", but then that's it.

with their stupid points. who does that anyway?

Old 07-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #99
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

YOU NEED YOUR POINTS, YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR POINTS, SIR, SIR YOUR POINTS!

Most of them are probably on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:35 PM   #100
Cool As Ice Cream

nah, they're way too slow for that. if anyone is close to a nervous breakdown, it's the customers who are in a hurry. no offence.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #101
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

I never have reason to hurry but i kinda do. I just get pissed at people who are abnormally slow. I usually have nowhere to be but i still don't like to spend what time i have in a day waiting in line more than i have to.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:06 PM   #102
Cool As Ice Cream

to pick the fastest line, you have to add up the ages of the people in the line. it works way better than simply counting the number of people.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #103
slunken
Virgo

I don't care about the points I just want the cheaper price

Old 07-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #104
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

i remember when randalls started doing the points thing late 99 and then it was everywhere

Old 07-07-2014, 04:34 PM   #105
null123
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Another thing im unsure of is regarding loyalty cards. The cashier always asks for that first and wont ring in any items until ive presented it/scanned it.

Should i empty my basket/cart first or give them the card first? Either way we are going to be waiting. If i have a cart, it doesnt make sense to push it through, present the card, pull it back, then unload.

I feel awkward when im unloading groceries onto the belt and the cashier, ten feet away, is asking for my card. Im like yes i have it please allow me to unload my groceries first. Then they arewaiting for me to do that. It feels like im being rushed or doing things out of order.
At Safeway/Vons they have you scan the card yourself and you can do it at any point in the transaction. I can't believe this other way exists

I'm kind of a jackass because I genuinely enjoy using the card and watching the total price go down after the fact

Old 07-07-2014, 04:49 PM   #106
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
to pick the fastest line, you have to add up the ages of the people in the line. it works way better than simply counting the number of people.
doesn't apply if you go shopping at 11pm though. There's a 24 hours grocery store near and if you go past 11pm or 12am you can only base it on how inebriated the people in either line look.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:58 PM   #107
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

i don't see the need to strategize so that you can reject an offer for a discount card. how many of those cashiers do you think give a shit if you say no? i just say "not today" and they continue the transaction.

source: i turn to melted butter when strangers talk to me

Old 07-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #108
null123
Minion of Satan

When I'm asked if I have such-and-such card I always say "no but that's ok"

Old 07-07-2014, 08:07 PM   #109
slunken
Virgo

at Kroger it's essential to have a loyalty card. They just want to track buying habits so the prices without a card are insane compared to with one.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #110
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I work 4 days a week, get paid real good, my supervisor is one of my good friends, all te people I work with are lovely and I get breakfast, lunch, and all the coffee I can handle every day I'm there.

So yeah, worst job.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #111
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool As Ice Cream View Post
nah, they're way too slow for that. if anyone is close to a nervous breakdown, it's the customers who are in a hurry. no offence.
maan, seriously.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 AM   #112
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
i don't see the need to strategize so that you can reject an offer for a discount card. how many of those cashiers do you think give a shit if you say no? i just say "not today" and they continue the transaction.

source: i turn to melted butter when strangers talk to me
this is what i say everywhere but walgreens, but you knew that.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #113
yo soy el mejor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
I'm kind of a jackass because I genuinely enjoy using the card and watching the total price go down after the fact
call me partyboy

Old 07-08-2014, 02:54 AM   #114
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
doesn't apply if you go shopping at 11pm though.
yeah, that doesn't exist here in belgium. shops close at 6, supermarkets between 7 and 9 pm.

Old 07-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #115
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmbag View Post
When I'm asked if I have such-and-such card I always say "no but that's ok"
that sounds all right. i should look for an equivalent in dutch.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:22 AM   #116
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...gzxzgyahx4.gif

Old 07-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #117
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

"I speak English, like Americans do."

Old 07-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #118
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

My job is awesome. I don't have to talk to dumbass customers and make my own hours.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 PM   #119
Bread Regal
Banned

What's your job again killtrocity

Old 07-08-2014, 10:13 PM   #120
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I found a job for TOC. It's a gig with the Council on Foreign Relations!

http://www.mediabistro.com/joblistin...7873&c=mbeajob