Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #181
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

i'm imitating reddit

Old 09-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #182
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
listened to my youtube rips
Please don't do this to music

Any music

Just like...go to King dumb L**ks and steal it like a normal person

Regardless of whether you like the songs or not, the sound quality does make a difference, youtube streams at like at 128 kbps, any rip that tells you it's making it 320k is just padding it out with data and prolly making it sound worse, if anything

Old 09-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #183
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Also on the Facebook group pretty much everyone who says they don't like it also adds that they should be writing rock songs, for what it's worth

It's 1998 all over again

Old 09-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #184
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Also is it me or do his vocals on Wrath have a lot less vibrato than usual? He actually kinda sounds like his old self

Old 09-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #185
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post

Any music

Regardless of whether you like the songs or not, the sound quality does make a difference, youtube streams at like at 128 kbps, any rip that tells you it's making it 320k is just padding it out with data and prolly making it sound worse, if anything
vinyl is 128 kbps and it is beautiful

Old 09-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #186
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

especially on lp

Old 09-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #187
thedeadofnight
Ownz

must he sing over every single second of music in wrath? let the song breathe billy

Old 09-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #188
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
it's honestly kind of pathetic how cliquish you are
Indeed. Brb gonna go order take out in my sad apartment

Old 09-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #189
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
must he sing over every single second of music in wrath? let the song breathe billy
Billy is trying to be the Beyonce of his generation

Old 09-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #190
Ram27
dumb

Quote:

Any music

fuck i did not know that. thanks. i got lazy over the last few months. i bought a copy of folklore but the servers were borked on release day so i just put the youtube mp3s into my itunes thinking surely they'd upload in 320. i shall rectify this immediately

won't bother with crogan's shit tho

Old 09-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #191
Ram27
dumb

jesus christ august sounds 80x richer. what the fuck was i doing for two months? now i just need to migrate play counts over

Old 09-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #192
Ram27
dumb

in 20 years shitty youtube rips will be what vinyl is today

Old 09-28-2020, 03:28 AM   #193
emilem
Demi-God

Billy lacks finess and authenticity. The sound is not exciting (no Billy, changing guitars for a synth isn't enough, you have to actually make the synth sound good and play something interesting). You can't sell us on electro-pop/rock album having this weak of a song (no Billy, you won't get a surprise hit, the music industry doesn't work that way anymore, stop trying so hard). TFE failed because of the same problem, and this will fail as well. It's depressing. Like he can't accept the idea is bad and just constantly tries to reinvent it.

But sure, maybe the other tens and tens of songs from this project are REALLY SOLID and this is just a long con to weed out the haters. Maybe.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:37 AM   #194
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Any music

Come on. Ashitty song at 128 kbps doesnt make it a gem in 320.

Or is col the rocker and you hear one more buried layer in de bridge????

Old 09-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #195
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
Billy lacks finess and authenticity. The sound is not exciting (no Billy, changing guitars for a synth isn't enough, you have to actually make the synth sound good and play something interesting). You can't sell us on electro-pop/rock album having this weak of a song (no Billy, you won't get a surprise hit, the music industry doesn't work that way anymore, stop trying so hard). TFE failed because of the same problem, and this will fail as well. It's depressing. Like he can't accept the idea is bad and just constantly tries to reinvent it.
The last... 15 years of his career in a nutshell.

I liked Adore as a teen, and when I'm in the mood for it... but it is objectively a bloated and maudlin album and Billy's venture into "avant-garde electronica" sounds incredibly dated in a way eg. Kid A / Amnesiac doesn't. This was the supposed "future of rock" in the late-90's, and other bands have explored it better and with less clunky results. Oddly, early-00's rock bands had a lot more success going back to basics, and Zwan was positioned to do well in this context, but Bill got in his own way again.

I think the sounds Bill was reaching for with Knights of Malta, Widow, SFAS, and Cyr... he would've nailed those in the 90's/early 00's because he was surrounded by equally talented people invested in making it work. But when he's dictator of everything it falls apart. Even the Cyr aesthetic is him ripping off the work Yelena did with the band, right?

Old 09-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #196
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Yeah, no one would complain if they put out 4 straight up rock songs like

FOL
Because You Are
Quasar
C'mon Let's Go

No one.

Right.
mark

Ride On!

Old 09-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #197
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post

I liked Adore as a teen, and when I'm in the mood for it... but it is objectively a bloated and maudlin album and Billy's venture into "avant-garde electronica" sounds incredibly dated in a way eg. Kid A / Amnesiac doesn't. This was the supposed "future of rock" in the late-90's, and other bands have explored it better and with less clunky results. Oddly, early-00's rock bands had a lot more success going back to basics, and Zwan was positioned to do well in this context, but Bill got in his own way again.

I think the sounds Bill was reaching for with Knights of Malta, Widow, SFAS, and Cyr... he would've nailed those in the 90's/early 00's because he was surrounded by equally talented people invested in making it work. But when he's dictator of everything it falls apart. Even the Cyr aesthetic is him ripping off the work Yelena did with the band, right?
His thing with electronics is a failure to really commit. It's like if Kid A was more songs like Creep but with some synths.

WPC went out and bought a bunch of synthesizers. Radiohead changed their approach to writing, performing, etc

Old 09-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #198
dustrocck
Demi-God

This stuff is better than...American Gothic? Teargarden?

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that he can't write great songs at this point, no matter the style. Stuff like Silvery Sometimes and With Sympathy is the best it's going to get.

Old 09-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #199
eviltimeban
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Also is it me or do his vocals on Wrath have a lot less vibrato than usual? He actually kinda sounds like his old self
Agreed. It's actually quite pleasant to listen to. Sits in the mix rather well. I'd still prefer more of the softer stuff but there you go.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #200
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post

Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensious.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 09-28-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #201
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensions.
ah yes, those pesky pretensions

Old 09-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #202
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I let these songs digest over the weekend before making any firm judgments.

I like them both a lot, despite not being particularly enthused with the direction in either of them.

Both are a bit on the bland side. Both have too much Billy; he hogs the spotlight and doesn't let the music show itself as much as it could. But they are both strong melodically, especially Wrath.

This isn't shaping up to be the SP album anyone wanted, but it's looking like it will still be an okay album.

Old 09-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #203
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
I let these songs digest over the weekend before making any firm judgments.

I like them both a lot, despite not being particularly enthused with the direction in either of them.

Both are a bit on the bland side. Both have too much Billy; he hogs the spotlight and doesn't let the music show itself as much as it could. But they are both strong melodically, especially Wrath.

This isn't shaping up to be the SP album anyone wanted, but it's looking like it will still be an okay album.
That's one hell of a review! Should I give them another spin?

Old 09-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #204
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensious.
When someone praises the new SP songs and bashes Radiohead...

Old 09-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #205
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
So close

Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #206
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
That's one hell of a review! Should I give them another spin?
If you fucking want to, i really don't give a shit.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:39 AM   #207
brothahi4L
Apocalyptic Poster

If radiohead released an album music budiness would report daily.
Sp??? Long lost and forgotten

Old 09-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #208
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
If you fucking want to, i really don't give a shit.
that's one hell of an angry response!

Old 09-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #209
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
So edgy

Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #210
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
An okay album from the guy who wrote Hummer, Geek U. S. A, Porcelina, Ruby, Obscured, Bodies and dozens of infinitely superior songs - amazing.

Honestly do any of these new ones or any from the last five releases make it into your top 100 SP? I've not put one together, but I'm sure none of them would.
i got bored