Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #211
LoveIsSuicide42
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
That's one hell of a review! Should I give them another spin?
If you fucking want to, i really don't give a shit.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:39 AM   #212
brothahi4L
Ownz

If radiohead released an album music budiness would report daily.
Sp??? Long lost and forgotten

Old 09-29-2020, 09:47 AM   #213
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
If you fucking want to, i really don't give a shit.
that's one hell of an angry response!

Old 09-29-2020, 09:52 AM   #214
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
I let these songs digest over the weekend before making any firm judgments.

I like them both a lot, despite not being particularly enthused with the direction in either of them.

Both are a bit on the bland side. Both have too much Billy; he hogs the spotlight and doesn't let the music show itself as much as it could. But they are both strong melodically, especially Wrath.

This isn't shaping up to be the SP album anyone wanted, but it's looking like it will still be an okay album.
An okay album from the guy who wrote Hummer, Geek U. S. A, Porcelina, Ruby, Obscured, Bodies and dozens of infinitely superior songs - amazing.

Honestly do any of these new ones or any from the last five releases make it into your top 100 SP? I've not put one together, but I'm sure none of them would.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #215
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensious.
So edgy

Old 09-29-2020, 10:31 AM   #216
Ram27
who's jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
An okay album from the guy who wrote Hummer, Geek U. S. A, Porcelina, Ruby, Obscured, Bodies and dozens of infinitely superior songs - amazing.

Honestly do any of these new ones or any from the last five releases make it into your top 100 SP? I've not put one together, but I'm sure none of them would.
i got bored

Old 09-29-2020, 10:41 AM   #217
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
i got bored

That's a no then!

Old 09-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #218
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Location: FlamingGlobes and FoolofaTook are both on my ignore list, and honestly, I love it.

colour is awesome. melody and backing vocals is great.

you guys need to stop wallowing in your hatred

Old 09-29-2020, 04:38 PM   #219
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Location: FlamingGlobes and FoolofaTook are both on my ignore list, and honestly, I love it.

i mean its no chromatics but still. pretty good for old man b0llz.

Old 09-29-2020, 06:04 PM   #220
Corgan's Bluff
Apocalyptic Poster

You have certainly eaten a lot of straw lately...

Old 09-29-2020, 06:10 PM   #221
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)

hell yeah tell 'im Bluff!

Old 09-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #222
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
colour is awesome. melody and backing vocals is great.

you guys need to stop wallowing in your hatred
are you drunk on cum?

Old 09-29-2020, 06:11 PM   #223
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster

i think all these years of blindly bashing new SP music have finally turned on him

Old 09-29-2020, 06:12 PM   #224
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster

ACCEPT MONUMENTS AS YOUR NEW TESTAMENT

Old 09-29-2020, 07:51 PM   #225
LoveIsSuicide42
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post

You're definitely right that each of the songs you listed is vastly superior to any released from Cyr thus far.

That being said, I listen to probably 8+ hours of music a day while I'm at work, and then more when I'm exercising. I spend a lot of time listening to music, new and old, from a variety of genres, and the vast majority of it can't even begin to hold a candle to that classic SP stuff. But, I still make time for it, and still enjoy the vast majority of it to some degree or another. It fulfills different moods, different listening goals, even if it isn't all god-tier. I don't need to listen to classic SP and the small handful of bands that connect with me in that special way constantly; it's more fun to hear new shit and new ideas. I can pull up the old tunes like a comforting blanket any time I need to. I find it far more compelling to actively TRY to like music, to try and find the value in someone's art even if it doesn't immediately resonate.

Defending the new music as "okay" is a really milquetoast kind of position. I get that. But, I'm alright with Billy releasing that music, and I will give it time. It's the current SP in the current shit world, and in some way, it reflects the struggle we feel being a part of this bullshit, just by nature of existing.

So far, Cyr is pretty successful at being this dystopian sort of pop record. What does it mean to make a grand, dreamy, and perhaps intentionally, boldly pretentious record in 2020? Of course it's not going to be like with B0lly did it in 1995.

SP2 songs that would probably make my top 100 *******,

From the Zeitgeist era: Stellar, Gossamer, Neverlost, (MAYBE) That's the Way and Tarantula

None from Teargarden

Oceania: Panopticon, Celestials, Violet Rays, (MAYBE) Oceania and Inkless

Monuments: Tiberius

Shiny: Silvery Sometimes, With Sympathy, (MAYBE) Marchin' On

Cyr: Wrath

Now, if you said Top 50, I dunno if I can confidently say any of those would be there.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:57 PM   #226
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster

Bruh Tom Tom is a jam. Teargarden ain’t all that bad tbh.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:59 PM   #227
LoveIsSuicide42
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Bruh Tom Tom is a jam. Teargarden ain’t all that bad tbh.
Yeah, that second EP was alright, come to think of it. I hate the first with a passion, though.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:49 PM   #228
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
You're definitely right that each of the songs you listed is vastly superior to any released from Cyr thus far.

That being said, I listen to probably 8+ hours of music a day while I'm at work, and then more when I'm exercising. I spend a lot of time listening to music, new and old, from a variety of genres, and the vast majority of it can't even begin to hold a candle to that classic SP stuff. But, I still make time for it, and still enjoy the vast majority of it to some degree or another. It fulfills different moods, different listening goals, even if it isn't all god-tier. I don't need to listen to classic SP and the small handful of bands that connect with me in that special way constantly; it's more fun to hear new shit and new ideas. I can pull up the old tunes like a comforting blanket any time I need to. I find it far more compelling to actively TRY to like music, to try and find the value in someone's art even if it doesn't immediately resonate.

Defending the new music as "okay" is a really milquetoast kind of position. I get that. But, I'm alright with Billy releasing that music, and I will give it time. It's the current SP in the current shit world, and in some way, it reflects the struggle we feel being a part of this bullshit, just by nature of existing.

So far, Cyr is pretty successful at being this dystopian sort of pop record. What does it mean to make a grand, dreamy, and perhaps intentionally, boldly pretentious record in 2020? Of course it's not going to be like with B0lly did it in 1995.

From the Zeitgeist era: Stellar, Gossamer, Neverlost, (MAYBE) That's the Way and Tarantula

None from Teargarden

Now, if you said Top 50, I dunno if I can confidently say any of those would be there.
Same. Today I listened to Prince, Terra Tenebrosa, Deftones, Soundgarden, Rachmaninoff, Kate Bush and fucking Tiffany.

But I'd liken it to a top footballer (or soccer player) who averages 30 goals a season for a top club for 15 years and then as he gets older, starts scoring fewer and fewer goals and moving down the divisions until he's paying for Achrington Stanley and scoring six goals a season.

The difference there is that the ravishes of time are dictating his diminishing quality.

It's sad to think that in 2020 if you'd never heard a pumpkins song before and you picked one at random, you'd be just as likely to hear Seek and You Shall Destroy, Widow Wake My Mind or Alienation as you a would be Hummer, Ruby or Obscured. If you were to do that in 2000, the chances are that you'd hear something quite wonderful. I'd say 2007 because I'm one of the few Zeitgeist believers.

Anyway, the point is that the reduction in quality is 100% objective and what a way to brazenly tarnish such a magnificent legacy.

I think the problem is that Crøgåń doesn't know what made him so great, he doesn't know that what he was really loved for was the subtlies, the scope and the grandiosity of his music and the magic that created. When you hear him dissect the stuff from the past, he'll talk up Today as a great pop song and then say that he doesn't Geek USA is any good.

It's the radio that's informing his music and it didn't during his peak years and that's why he may never reach that artistic peak nor gain any commercial success again.

Last edited by Greatvegetable : 09-29-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Old 09-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #229
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

None from Teargarden

yikes you have bad taste in music

Old 09-30-2020, 01:31 AM   #230
Woody
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthusaroo View Post
yikes you have bad taste in music
We’re on a Smashing Pumpkins board in 2020.

Nobody’s taste in music is looking good at this point

Old 09-30-2020, 03:40 AM   #231
incubator
Ownz

SP2 songs not being in the top 50 SP songs is missing the point of still being an SP fan/follower/well wisher in 2020.

It’s like making a list of the all time best 50 Nottingham Forest players. Of course no one from the last 10 or 20 years is going to make the list. But what are you gonna do? Support Man City instead? If SP wasn’t still you’re favourite band you wouldn’t be here.

Old 09-30-2020, 05:03 AM   #232
eviltimeban
Ownz

I'll tell you what were top tier SP songs - some of the stuff on If All Goes Wrong. Songs like 99 Floors, Question Mark, and Winterlong had the spirit of SP1. It's madness he didn't record those more gentle songs full band in the studio and had that kind of stuff on Zeitgeist. Never mind Gossamer!

Old 09-30-2020, 06:06 AM   #233
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Winterlong was a sp1 song tho

Old 09-30-2020, 06:12 AM   #234
smashingjj
that person

hence the sp1 spirit

Old 09-30-2020, 07:37 AM   #235
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Old 09-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #236
Ram27
who's jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltimeban View Post
I'll tell you what were top tier SP songs - some of the stuff on If All Goes Wrong. Songs like 99 Floors, Question Mark, and Winterlong had the spirit of SP1. It's madness he didn't record those more gentle songs full band in the studio and had that kind of stuff on Zeitgeist. Never mind Gossamer!
agree. 99 floors is brilliant - like a mature evolution of something like set the ray

ain't it sad when your choices are vices or advice is some real shit

Quote:
love, it's who you know

Old 09-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #237
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
SP2 songs not being in the top 50 SP songs is missing the point of still being an SP fan/follower/well wisher in 2020.

It’s like making a list of the all time best 50 Nottingham Forest players. Of course no one from the last 10 or 20 years is going to make the list. But what are you gonna do? Support Man City instead? If SP wasn’t still you’re favourite band you wouldn’t be here.
I think it'd be more like the songs being the football played rather than the players and that Billy is the manager.

Let's just say that Billy is the team's manager, well there's been no change in management in the pumpkins and there never will be. So, peak Notts Forrest, Brian Clough is in charge and has been since his appointment in 1975. They would certainly still be in the premiere league and perhaps competing for trophies, whereas the pumpkins would have been relegated to league 1.

Yes, the pumpkins are by far my favourite band ever; I think their peak material is completely untouchable by anyone and I listen to a faaaaaahkin' shit ton of music. But their fall from grace has been beyond cataclysmic I've never known anything quite like it... Perhaps Nicolas Cage!

Old 09-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #238
Greatvegetable
Ownz

Quote:
Jesus that is fucking horrible.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #239
eviltimeban
Ownz

Quote:
Winterlong was a sp1 song tho
Oh yeah. Well then Peace + Love or Mama or one of those ones.

Old 09-30-2020, 08:51 AM   #240
eviltimeban
Ownz

I never listen to Judas O so I forgot.