Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2020, 01:25 PM   #181
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
enthusaroo's Avatar
 
Location: ameriKKKa
Posts: 1,650
Default

It's like laying layer after layer of diarrhea on top of each other. That's why I love the new songs!

 
enthusaroo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #182
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God
 
GreenDogGlynis's Avatar
 
Posts: 259
Default

I'm having fun with the rollout. The animated music videos and the electronic music recalled Gorillaz for me, even though Billy isn't pulling it off as well. I was listening to the Pisces reissue last night and its clear that the new music is not in the same universe as the great SP albums, nowhere near it. But it's kinda cool for what it is and maybe the whole album and animation will make something interesting at the end of the day.

 
GreenDogGlynis is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:52 PM   #183
smashingjj
that person
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: LOL Party Centre
Posts: 35,352
Default

GreenDogGlynis is having fun with the rollout

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #184
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
enthusaroo's Avatar
 
Location: ameriKKKa
Posts: 1,650
Default

GreenDogGlynis is having sex with the rollout

 
enthusaroo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #185
smashingjj
that person
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: LOL Party Centre
Posts: 35,352
Default

it's honestly kind of pathetic how cliquish you are

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:51 PM   #186
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
enthusaroo's Avatar
 
Location: ameriKKKa
Posts: 1,650
Default

i'm imitating reddit

 
enthusaroo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:37 PM   #187
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,166
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
listened to my youtube rips
Please don't do this to music

Any music

Just like...go to King dumb L**ks and steal it like a normal person

Regardless of whether you like the songs or not, the sound quality does make a difference, youtube streams at like at 128 kbps, any rip that tells you it's making it 320k is just padding it out with data and prolly making it sound worse, if anything

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:39 PM   #188
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,166
Default

Also on the Facebook group pretty much everyone who says they don't like it also adds that they should be writing rock songs, for what it's worth

It's 1998 all over again

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #189
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Shadaloo's Avatar
 
Location: up on the cross you go little fella
Posts: 2,166
Default

Also is it me or do his vocals on Wrath have a lot less vibrato than usual? He actually kinda sounds like his old self

 
Shadaloo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #190
smashingjj
that person
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: LOL Party Centre
Posts: 35,352
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Please don't do this to music

Any music

Just like...go to King dumb L**ks and steal it like a normal person

Regardless of whether you like the songs or not, the sound quality does make a difference, youtube streams at like at 128 kbps, any rip that tells you it's making it 320k is just padding it out with data and prolly making it sound worse, if anything
vinyl is 128 kbps and it is beautiful

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 04:53 PM   #191
smashingjj
that person
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: LOL Party Centre
Posts: 35,352
Default

especially on lp

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:20 PM   #192
thedeadofnight
Demi-God
 
thedeadofnight's Avatar
 
Location: Kent, UK
Posts: 496
Default

must he sing over every single second of music in wrath? let the song breathe billy

 
thedeadofnight is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:35 PM   #193
houseofglass11
Apocalyptic Poster
 
houseofglass11's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
it's honestly kind of pathetic how cliquish you are
Indeed. Brb gonna go order take out in my sad apartment

 
houseofglass11 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:07 PM   #194
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster
 
enthusaroo's Avatar
 
Location: ameriKKKa
Posts: 1,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeadofnight View Post
must he sing over every single second of music in wrath? let the song breathe billy
Billy is trying to be the Beyonce of his generation

 
enthusaroo is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:29 AM   #195
Ram27
who's jimmy
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: you know i pay a lot to cry to try to understand
Posts: 7,980
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Please don't do this to music

Any music

Just like...go to King dumb L**ks and steal it like a normal person

Regardless of whether you like the songs or not, the sound quality does make a difference, youtube streams at like at 128 kbps, any rip that tells you it's making it 320k is just padding it out with data and prolly making it sound worse, if anything
fuck i did not know that. thanks. i got lazy over the last few months. i bought a copy of folklore but the servers were borked on release day so i just put the youtube mp3s into my itunes thinking surely they'd upload in 320. i shall rectify this immediately

won't bother with crogan's shit tho

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #196
Ram27
who's jimmy
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: you know i pay a lot to cry to try to understand
Posts: 7,980
Default

jesus christ august sounds 80x richer. what the fuck was i doing for two months? now i just need to migrate play counts over

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #197
Ram27
who's jimmy
 
Ram27's Avatar
 
Location: you know i pay a lot to cry to try to understand
Posts: 7,980
Default

in 20 years shitty youtube rips will be what vinyl is today

 
Ram27 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:28 AM   #198
emilem
Pledge
 
emilem's Avatar
 
Posts: 248
Default

Billy lacks finess and authenticity. The sound is not exciting (no Billy, changing guitars for a synth isn't enough, you have to actually make the synth sound good and play something interesting). You can't sell us on electro-pop/rock album having this weak of a song (no Billy, you won't get a surprise hit, the music industry doesn't work that way anymore, stop trying so hard). TFE failed because of the same problem, and this will fail as well. It's depressing. Like he can't accept the idea is bad and just constantly tries to reinvent it.

But sure, maybe the other tens and tens of songs from this project are REALLY SOLID and this is just a long con to weed out the haters. Maybe.

 
emilem is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:37 AM   #199
brothahi4L
Ownz
 
Location: Nowhere
Posts: 891
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Please don't do this to music

Any music

Just like...go to King dumb L**ks and steal it like a normal person

Regardless of whether you like the songs or not, the sound quality does make a difference, youtube streams at like at 128 kbps, any rip that tells you it's making it 320k is just padding it out with data and prolly making it sound worse, if anything

Come on. Ashitty song at 128 kbps doesnt make it a gem in 320.

Or is col the rocker and you hear one more buried layer in de bridge????

 
brothahi4L is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:03 AM   #200
Woody
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Woody's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,978
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilem View Post
Billy lacks finess and authenticity. The sound is not exciting (no Billy, changing guitars for a synth isn't enough, you have to actually make the synth sound good and play something interesting). You can't sell us on electro-pop/rock album having this weak of a song (no Billy, you won't get a surprise hit, the music industry doesn't work that way anymore, stop trying so hard). TFE failed because of the same problem, and this will fail as well. It's depressing. Like he can't accept the idea is bad and just constantly tries to reinvent it.
The last... 15 years of his career in a nutshell.

I liked Adore as a teen, and when I'm in the mood for it... but it is objectively a bloated and maudlin album and Billy's venture into "avant-garde electronica" sounds incredibly dated in a way eg. Kid A / Amnesiac doesn't. This was the supposed "future of rock" in the late-90's, and other bands have explored it better and with less clunky results. Oddly, early-00's rock bands had a lot more success going back to basics, and Zwan was positioned to do well in this context, but Bill got in his own way again.

I think the sounds Bill was reaching for with Knights of Malta, Widow, SFAS, and Cyr... he would've nailed those in the 90's/early 00's because he was surrounded by equally talented people invested in making it work. But when he's dictator of everything it falls apart. Even the Cyr aesthetic is him ripping off the work Yelena did with the band, right?

 
Woody is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:39 AM   #201
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: “Honkie.” - yo soy
Posts: 2,741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Yeah, no one would complain if they put out 4 straight up rock songs like

FOL
Because You Are
Quasar
C'mon Let's Go

No one.





Right.
mark

Ride On!

 
ninsp is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #202
incubator
Ownz
 
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
The last... 15 years of his career in a nutshell.

I liked Adore as a teen, and when I'm in the mood for it... but it is objectively a bloated and maudlin album and Billy's venture into "avant-garde electronica" sounds incredibly dated in a way eg. Kid A / Amnesiac doesn't. This was the supposed "future of rock" in the late-90's, and other bands have explored it better and with less clunky results. Oddly, early-00's rock bands had a lot more success going back to basics, and Zwan was positioned to do well in this context, but Bill got in his own way again.

I think the sounds Bill was reaching for with Knights of Malta, Widow, SFAS, and Cyr... he would've nailed those in the 90's/early 00's because he was surrounded by equally talented people invested in making it work. But when he's dictator of everything it falls apart. Even the Cyr aesthetic is him ripping off the work Yelena did with the band, right?
His thing with electronics is a failure to really commit. It's like if Kid A was more songs like Creep but with some synths.

WPC went out and bought a bunch of synthesizers. Radiohead changed their approach to writing, performing, etc

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:48 AM   #203
dustrocck
Pledge
 
dustrocck's Avatar
 
Posts: 249
Default

This stuff is better than...American Gothic? Teargarden?

I think the one thing we can all agree on is that he can't write great songs at this point, no matter the style. Stuff like Silvery Sometimes and With Sympathy is the best it's going to get.

 
dustrocck is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:13 PM   #204
eviltimeban
Ownz
 
eviltimeban's Avatar
 
Posts: 745
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
Also is it me or do his vocals on Wrath have a lot less vibrato than usual? He actually kinda sounds like his old self
Agreed. It's actually quite pleasant to listen to. Sits in the mix rather well. I'd still prefer more of the softer stuff but there you go.

 
eviltimeban is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:03 PM   #205
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Forgotten Child's Avatar
 
Location: SP, Sao Paulo - Brazil
Posts: 3,518
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
The last... 15 years of his career in a nutshell.

I liked Adore as a teen, and when I'm in the mood for it... but it is objectively a bloated and maudlin album and Billy's venture into "avant-garde electronica" sounds incredibly dated in a way eg. Kid A / Amnesiac doesn't. This was the supposed "future of rock" in the late-90's, and other bands have explored it better and with less clunky results. Oddly, early-00's rock bands had a lot more success going back to basics, and Zwan was positioned to do well in this context, but Bill got in his own way again.

I think the sounds Bill was reaching for with Knights of Malta, Widow, SFAS, and Cyr... he would've nailed those in the 90's/early 00's because he was surrounded by equally talented people invested in making it work. But when he's dictator of everything it falls apart. Even the Cyr aesthetic is him ripping off the work Yelena did with the band, right?
Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensious.

Last edited by Forgotten Child : 09-28-2020 at 05:03 PM.

 
Forgotten Child is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:43 PM   #206
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Oklahoma Sexual's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensions.
ah yes, those pesky pretensions

 
Oklahoma Sexual is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #207
LoveIsSuicide42
Pledge
 
Posts: 122
Default

I let these songs digest over the weekend before making any firm judgments.

I like them both a lot, despite not being particularly enthused with the direction in either of them.

Both are a bit on the bland side. Both have too much Billy; he hogs the spotlight and doesn't let the music show itself as much as it could. But they are both strong melodically, especially Wrath.

This isn't shaping up to be the SP album anyone wanted, but it's looking like it will still be an okay album.

 
LoveIsSuicide42 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:20 PM   #208
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Oklahoma Sexual's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveIsSuicide42 View Post
I let these songs digest over the weekend before making any firm judgments.

I like them both a lot, despite not being particularly enthused with the direction in either of them.

Both are a bit on the bland side. Both have too much Billy; he hogs the spotlight and doesn't let the music show itself as much as it could. But they are both strong melodically, especially Wrath.

This isn't shaping up to be the SP album anyone wanted, but it's looking like it will still be an okay album.
That's one hell of a review! Should I give them another spin?

 
Oklahoma Sexual is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #209
MyKeyZ
Ownz
 
MyKeyZ's Avatar
 
Location: The void arrives, then leaves
Posts: 977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensious.
When someone praises the new SP songs and bashes Radiohead...



 
MyKeyZ is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:24 PM   #210
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Oklahoma Sexual's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,211
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
Kid A / Amnesiac are boring as hell. I used to have every Radiohead album, I gave them away cause they didn't age well at all. HTTT is way more interesting them both of them, still too long and pretensious.
So close

 
Oklahoma Sexual is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Confessions of a dopamine addict YA5H Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 73 09-25-2020 08:13 PM
Kick-Ass was a far better movie than I expected Nimrod's Son General Chat Archive 45 06-14-2012 06:02 AM
My friend is a recovering drug addict killtrocity General Chat Archive 30 09-16-2010 09:16 PM
sex addict finds hole in time smashingjj General Chat Archive 6 11-22-2007 03:12 PM
I realized this morning what a coffee addict I am House of Bread General Chat Archive 8 07-20-2006 03:50 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:00 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2020