Netphoria Message Board


Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2020, 04:34 PM   #31
tweedyburd
Ownz
 
Location: greensboro, nc U.S.
Posts: 702
Arrow

Like any enabler who wishes they could finally trust their drug-head partner when they promise they're finally going to get better, I have no excuse for putting any stock in this concept's initial promise and its execution based on prior experience.

The most aggravating thing is that he so desperately wants to be viewed as a legitimate and relevant contemporary artist, but he and his team consistently fail at even the most basic PR and marketing performance when it comes to rolling out his projects, managing expectations and delivering on promises. For someone who has constantly blathered on about technology over the years he can't even get the absolute lowest-bar basics right.

Like some others said, I can't believe (well, yeah, I guess I can) they didn't secure every last detail of this prior to launch and just have it on a bot ready to launch at those exact times. Why the hell can't you click on the timed out slots to find what each one was? Why isn't shit immediately available to view when the countdown ends (why even have a countdown)? Seriously, is there a Geocities intern from 1999 managing their online presence? This is just basic stuff that should be no-brainers. And now, like every other fucking thing he's announced in the past X number of years, it appears this portion of the whole project is now scrapped.

Goddamn, he makes it so hard to pull for him sometimes.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 09-21-2020 at 04:41 PM.

 
tweedyburd is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:43 PM   #32
wpc33
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Location: Cheating on my wife with Kurt Cobain's wife. He'll live.
Posts: 2,173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedyburd View Post
Like any enabler who wishes they could finally trust their drug-head partner when they promise they're finally going to get better,....

Goddamn, he makes it so hard to pull for him sometimes.
Stop then. He's a narcissist and psychopath. Good points though. Billy will never be smart or good again.
I just came for the dumpster fire. It's kind of fun hating SP, but no fun liking, for reasons you expressed so well.

 
wpc33 is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:58 PM   #33
YA5H
Demi-God
 
YA5H's Avatar
 
Posts: 251
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by incubator View Post
the bit where he sings "in merry tiiiiiiiiiiiime" has a drum roll!! The most dynamic thing the band have done since Jimmy came back
Most memorable part of the song. But Travels> Alienation.

 
YA5H is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #34
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

But...the expectation of something new coming out right at midnight (like Cyr and COL) was nothing more than a fan prediction. I don't think it's fair to criticize the entire concept just because they didn't do what we wanted / expected. They did release a lot of new information on the day marked by the countdown's end: announcement of the animated series with a trailer, album announcement, track list, and pre-order. They followed through with something new on the specified date. Tbh, it was more than I expected.

It makes good economic sense to push the album sales on the main site immediately following the album announcement (also covered by every major music mag / site). Sumerian is an indie label, they need the official site's pipeline, and selling the record is more important to them (and SP) than keeping the countdowns up for people to watch for 20 days.

It would be ridiculous to have that in the days following pre-order.

The countdowns are still active in the website shell. They will probably come back up as the next date approaches.

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 07:24 PM   #35
Greatvegetable
Ownz
 
Posts: 696
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA5H View Post
Most memorable part of the song. But Travels> Alienation.
God knows why they didn't bring that lovely synth part back for one of the last 87 choruses. That would have turned the song into a decent ditty rather than a boring snoozefest.

 
Greatvegetable is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:19 PM   #36
tweedyburd
Ownz
 
Location: greensboro, nc U.S.
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post

It would be ridiculous to have that in the days following pre-order.
C'mon, like they can't walk and chew gum at the same time? They could easily have patched in the countdown at the bottom. They didn't because most likely the whole thing has been scrapped and there is no hard schedule anymore because it's been flubbed for reasons already mentioned.

Just more amateur hour execution and midstream change-ups, same old shit, etc.

 
tweedyburd is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 09:59 AM   #37
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedyburd View Post
C'mon, like they can't walk and chew gum at the same time? They could easily have patched in the countdown at the bottom. They didn't because most likely the whole thing has been scrapped and there is no hard schedule anymore because it's been flubbed for reasons already mentioned.

Just more amateur hour execution and midstream change-ups, same old shit, etc.
It doesn't make sense to distract your market from the product you are trying to sell within days of announcing it.

You don't know anything has been scrubbed. The snuck premise of it being 'scrapped' is guiding your impressions of the entire project. There is obviously still a hard schedule if the last counter coincides with the album release. By extension, the other counters are likely to also apply to the release of something new. In other words, there is nothing about the counter system that suggests it isn't working like it is supposed to.

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #38
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster
 
AveryLoren's Avatar
 
Location: Upside Down Narnia
Posts: 1,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
there is nothing about the counter system that suggests it isn't working like it is supposed to.

 
AveryLoren is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #39
pinetree
Demi-God
 
Posts: 399
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
It doesn't make sense to distract your market from the product you are trying to sell within days of announcing it.

You don't know anything has been scrubbed. The snuck premise of it being 'scrapped' is guiding your impressions of the entire project. There is obviously still a hard schedule if the last counter coincides with the album release. By extension, the other counters are likely to also apply to the release of something new. In other words, there is nothing about the counter system that suggests it isn't working like it is supposed to.
lol

 
pinetree is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:19 PM   #40
tweedyburd
Ownz
 
Location: greensboro, nc U.S.
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
It doesn't make sense to distract your market from the product you are trying to sell within days of announcing it.
What makes even less sense is creating an overly-hyped timer system that, by its very nature and the way it has been breathlessly marketed all over their social media, promotes releases anchored to an exactly timed schedule (down to the second) if they knew in advance they'd shelve that temporarily (according to you) to promote the album. It makes their whole bait-and-switch marketing approach look amateurish and phoned in. Like we didn't know there was going to be a new album? They obviously got behind on the animation project (which was going to be the next thing they released) and chose to announce basically nothing instead just to say they put SOMETHING out there on the scheduled time.

Ya know, you don't need to be a total shill for Billy. It's easy to acknowledge this basic point and remain a critical thinking fan.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 09-22-2020 at 02:26 PM.

 
tweedyburd is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:29 PM   #41
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedyburd View Post
What makes even less sense is creating an overly hyped timer system that, by its very nature and the way it has been breathlessly marketed all over their social media, promotes releases anchored to an exactly timed schedule if they knew in advance they'd shelve that temporarily (according to you) to promote the album. It makes their whole bait-and-switch marketing approach look amateurish and phoned in.

You don't need to be a total shill for Billy. It's easy to acknowledge this basic point and remain a critical thinking fan.
I'm far from a shill for Billy. I just don't think making the assumption that the entire design of the countdowns was a failure or scrapped is reasonable because they are promoting the sale of their record.

Again, immediate access to the announcement was not promised by the countdown to zero. The countdown was to midnight, a new day, which is when everything came out.

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #42
Crepe
Pledge
 
Crepe's Avatar
 
Posts: 199
Default

Think they scrapped the timers when they realized nobody goes on the official website

 
Crepe is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 02:58 PM   #43
tweedyburd
Ownz
 
Location: greensboro, nc U.S.
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post

Again, immediate access to the announcement was not promised by the countdown to zero. The countdown was to midnight, a new day, which is when everything came out.
Don't be glib. Billy literally reposted multiple stories from fans that indicated announcements would be made at midnight on the corresponding date, with verbage like "who's staying up till midnight to see what the next announcement is?!"

If you want to continue to believe that this rollout has been an exemplary marketing performance, be my guest. Anybody with even a short memory can see this is part and parcel with all the other misfires from the past 10 years.

 
tweedyburd is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:04 PM   #44
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweedyburd View Post
Don't be glib. Billy literally reposted multiple stories from fans that indicated announcements would be made at midnight on the corresponding date, with verbage like "who's staying up till midnight to see what the next announcement is?!"

If you want to continue to believe that this rollout has been an exemplary marketing performance, be my guest. Anybody with even a short memory can see this is part and parcel with all the other misfires from the past 10 years.
He reposted multiple stories that reinforced the reveal of something new after the countdown to zero. The tracklist and album release announcement were posted on Instagram not long after midnight.

I never said this was "exemplary." I just think it's ridiculous for people to assume this is a total failure, scrapped, etc. when everything has actually rolled out in line with the countdowns and appears to in the future (last date).

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:13 PM   #45
Run To Me
Minion of Satan
 
Run To Me's Avatar
 
Location: Where the frog spoils the leaf
Posts: 5,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
He reposted multiple stories that reinforced the reveal of something new after the countdown to zero. The tracklist and album release announcement were posted on Instagram not long after midnight.

I never said this was "exemplary." I just think it's ridiculous for people to assume this is a total failure, scrapped, etc. when everything has actually rolled out in line with the countdowns and appears to in the future (last date).
Nah what matters is that even less ppl gonna stay up til midnite this time b/c they’re sick to death of being punk’d by the heel big willie

 
Run To Me is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #46
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Nah what matters is that even less ppl gonna stay up til midnite this time b/c they’re sick to death of being punk’d by the heel big willie
Maybe, but in terms of the exposure to the material and the way the news will circulate, idk if that matters one bit.

I'm going to stay up, but that's because COVID life is boring and I'm grateful for things to be excited about.

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #47
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster
 
AveryLoren's Avatar
 
Location: Upside Down Narnia
Posts: 1,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
Again, immediate access to the announcement was not promised by the countdown to zero. The countdown was to midnight, a new day, which is when everything came out.

Except the Ritual site's owl statue puzzle thing explicitly stated:



I mean even the 3D ritual site has been abandoned as well as the rest of the puzzle sequences. I accurately guessed the puzzle, received a confirmation E-mail and then nothing happened. That's three extra items to be added to Bill's "Big List of Abandonment"

 
AveryLoren is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #48
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

You were invited to send your #JIMMYSHIMMY

The ritual site is tied to the countdowns.

It's four days after they announced the pre-order and 16 days until the next countdown.

Maybe it would make more sense to talk shit on this if they don't put the countdowns up again as the next date approaches.

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #49
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster
 
AveryLoren's Avatar
 
Location: Upside Down Narnia
Posts: 1,297
Default

I'm big into the band Coheed and Cambria who are the absolute kings of countdown timer announcements. They've been successfully pulling it off since 2007. They once had a wall of forty timers that all updated real time within the sites code so no refreshing when they finished. If a smaller band (at the time) could pull this off flawlessly thirteen years ago I am sure the mighty SP could manage it in 2020.

 
AveryLoren is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #50
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I'm big into the band Coheed and Cambria who are the absolute kings of countdown timer announcements. They've been successfully pulling it off since 2007. They once had a wall of forty timers that all updated real time within the sites code so no refreshing when they finished. If a smaller band (at the time) could pull this off flawlessly thirteen years ago I am sure the mighty SP could manage it in 2020.
Again, I think you are reacting to an invented impression of what would happen at midnight.

We got a shitload of information on Saturday, starting around midnight.

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:58 PM   #51
Run To Me
Minion of Satan
 
Run To Me's Avatar
 
Location: Where the frog spoils the leaf
Posts: 5,746
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
Again, I think you are reacting to an invented impression of what would happen at midnight.

We got a shitload of information on Saturday, starting around midnight.
Point is countdown should have been a countdown to “around midnight” then.

Because it felt pretty stupid when nothing happened.

C’mon vitaldust why u hanging on so hard, here. This second halfass rollout with the timers, and then the timers disappearing from the main site, feels amateurish.

Ppl were/are confused. That’s what matters and what ppl will remember.

 
Run To Me is online now
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #52
AveryLoren
Apocalyptic Poster
 
AveryLoren's Avatar
 
Location: Upside Down Narnia
Posts: 1,297
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
That’s what matters and what ppl will remember.

 
AveryLoren is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #53
cork_soaker
full of longing
 
cork_soaker's Avatar
 
Posts: 11,150
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Because it felt pretty stupid when nothing happened.
and even before then

 
cork_soaker is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 04:19 PM   #54
tweedyburd
Ownz
 
Location: greensboro, nc U.S.
Posts: 702
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Ppl were/are confused. That’s what matters and what ppl will remember.
This dude can rationalize till he's blue in the face but this is all that really matters at the end of the day. Ideas and plans are only as good as they are perceived and executed, and since the continuity on this whole thing has been broken with zero explanation, it's not premature to conclude that it's somewhat of a failure already.

Obviously in the grand scheme of things this is nothing very important but if we're going to judge the performance of anything to do with this band, this is unfortunately consistent with other botched attempts at rollouts and scatterbrained marketing ideas from the recent past.

Last edited by tweedyburd : 09-22-2020 at 04:33 PM.

 
tweedyburd is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:22 PM   #55
Greatvegetable
Ownz
 
Posts: 696
Default

Why does it matter? The album is going to be dogshit.

 
Greatvegetable is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #56
vitaldust
Ownz
 
vitaldust's Avatar
 
Location: a melting apocalyptic jungle bleeding out of me like a dream
Posts: 857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Because it felt pretty stupid when nothing happened.


But something did happen, that's the entire point I'm making. What's so confusing about an album announcement that was posted a little after midnight? What exactly about that makes you think none of this works?

 
vitaldust is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #57
smashingjj
that person
 
smashingjj's Avatar
 
Location: LOL Party Centre
Posts: 35,352
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AveryLoren View Post
I'm big into the band Coheed and Cambria
ah yes

 
smashingjj is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:58 AM   #58
dustrocck
Pledge
 
dustrocck's Avatar
 
Posts: 249
Default

Certainly the entire website screams late 90s to me, GeoCities.

Gonna do an AltaVista search see what I can find.

See you all on ICQ.

 
dustrocck is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:30 PM   #59
incubator
Ownz
 
Posts: 742
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaldust View Post
But something did happen, that's the entire point I'm making. What's so confusing about an album announcement that was posted a little after midnight? What exactly about that makes you think none of this works?
RELEASE CHICAGO SONGS YOU COWARD

 
incubator is offline
Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM   #60
Joey Goldberg
Apocalyptic Poster
 
Joey Goldberg's Avatar
 
Location: in the line for drinks (or is it just tickets to buy the drinks?)
Posts: 3,137
Default

what makes you think vittaldust has Chicago Songs? is this what Gary told you?

 
Joey Goldberg is offline
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Google


Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
can somebody explain okcupid to me Order 66 General Chat Message Board 473 04-02-2019 04:55 PM
TRUMP fuzzyroes General Chat Message Board 4303 12-08-2017 10:11 AM
Age Of Innocence Big Truck05 Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion 38 05-01-2017 12:25 PM
Monte's Mod Powers Mablak General Chat Archive 180 03-24-2013 12:01 PM
PAVEMENT COVERING 1978! dean_r_koontz Pumpkins Archive 28 04-01-2012 04:43 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:19 PM.




Smashing Pumpkins, Alternative Music
& General Discussion Message Board and Forums
www.netphoria.org - Copyright © 1998-2020