Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-2020, 01:59 AM   #1
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Default So has this finally last-coffin-nailed u or what

Has big willie finally defeated u

Are u just too exhausted to trudge another of your weary steps onward up/into this gray hillside? Even tho there’s bitchen skeleton tree over there? Are u telling me that not even wearing moms mothball dresses can make me feel so pretty again?

Or make it fun, anymore

Because there was like a full-on bakers dozens of dummies/jr scientists on here that first night when the timer ended, and then nothing happened, but then somebody figured out, somehow, that we’d gotten the Cyr song and the other one, and then we went and omg we

....listened to the new SP

And almost exactly nobody’s been coming back since, not even on those other thrilling nites when the timers ended, and nothing happened, but then on Sunday your MAGA grandma called to tell u she’d seen a cartoon or something on her gay step-niece’s facebook, looked like it was a loony tunes show from that smashing pumpkin man, and she wanted to let you know because she still remembers oh she knows just how u loved that smashen punk rock man, or that grunge rock and roll, and then u waited until everybody fell asleep and u were still a little stoned and so u omg we

......didn’t watch it, sorry, shook trees in animal crossing instead

So like where did u go, ye august forumboard of yore? Is this the end probably? And if so can i at least tell u goodbye

Anyway, write back soon,

Old 10-17-2020, 02:14 AM   #2
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quite possibly the greatest run on sentence ever in Netpho history! I love it!

"but then on Sunday your MAGA grandma called to tell u she’d seen a cartoon or something on her gay step-niece’s facebook, looked like it was a loony tunes show from that smashing pumpkin man, and she wanted to let you know because she still remembers oh she knows just how u loved that smashen punk rock man"

Old 10-17-2020, 02:16 AM   #3
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

I think I agree with you tho.

Everyone has made their money. There's nothing left to "create" or be hungry for. It's become a rich guys art project.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:47 AM   #4
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

I thought this was an intro to a class action lawsuit, but if not...it should be

Old 10-17-2020, 03:27 AM   #5
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!
Talking

i bet bill would make more money if we could pay him to not put out new music

Old 10-17-2020, 03:38 AM   #6
Ram27
dumb

i get hope every time. less and less each week but still a bit of hope. for every album cycle too. it doesn't help when the tours are actually getting better and better

plus i like you guys or whatever so i keep coming here

Old 10-17-2020, 03:39 AM   #7
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
I thought this was an intro to a class action lawsuit, but if not...it should be

Old 10-17-2020, 04:24 AM   #8
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Unhappy

i'm not sure but i think the new SP songs are so bad it just made run2pee quit netphoria

Old 10-17-2020, 07:49 AM   #9
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I thought Shiny v1 showed some promise and the return of James & Jimmy would lead to a return to at least Zeitgeist era Pumpkins. I assumed it was held back by being leftovers from D4N. I also like Ogilala.

Then his second solo album - can’t even remember the name - was this long bad, boring thing. And now Shiny v2 turned out to be Teargarden sort of shite, and a double album of it, with minimal James & Jimmy - just cashing cheques.

Even the Machina reissue stuff he’s teased is like... more versions of the worst fucking tracks on Machina.

I hated Teargarden/Oceania but MTAE and Shiny v1 were still like an occasional guilty-listen / curiosity.

It’s been 7 years since this band put out anything of high quality from the archives (TAFH reissue).

I wonder what will happen with the “reunited” band when Cyr bombs.

Last edited by VoxUpDoc : 10-17-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:37 AM   #10
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

pretty much agree on all points you made

And “long boring thing” is the best description one could make of Cotillions

Old 10-17-2020, 12:14 PM   #11
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Hope.

I think that’s why any of us “old timers” still check in. Every count down is Hope of something good.

I remember checking in here every day with exciting news to be seen and had. Now I check in every day just to be disappointed. Perhaps I enjoy this daily dose of disappointment? A new countdown is just a countdown to disappointment.

I guess because I know (hope) (assume) (pretend) the mighty SP still has potential.

But yeah I pretty much agree. The bubble burst.

Old 10-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #12
Ram27
dumb

imagine shawshank redepemtion if andy played CYR over the PA. everyone would want to stay in prison

Old 10-17-2020, 01:17 PM   #13
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I've long since accepted the glory days are gone. Now I'm happy just to get the occasional good song.

I don't feel like James and Jimmy are phoning it in as much as people feel like they are, their contributions are just unrecognizable behind the wall of electronica Bill's going for

Generally I just don't give a shit these days, if the album's not to my liking, I move on. Maybe the next one'll be better, maybe it won't.

I don't think this shit's anywhere near as bad as the worst moments off Teargarden and most of Monuments. The disappointment just feels stronger because everyone thought Jimmy and James being back would elevate everything.

Still looking forward to Machina.

Old 10-17-2020, 01:48 PM   #14
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Old 10-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #15
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Literally the only new song I listened to was "Cyr," because it came on at the gym TV two days ago when I was doing lateral raises.

I was actually wearing my Zero shirt as a gym shirt, and in that moment, I was so glad that the shirt isn't generally recognizable enough for people to connect what was on screen to what I was wearing.

I haven't watched any of the cartoons or listened to any of the other songs.

Old 10-17-2020, 02:09 PM   #16
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

those new cartoon videos are so..... meh

They look like something that would have been on MTV Late Night in the mid 90s. But not as memorable as Æon Flux. The songs are also forgettable.

I actually prefer some of Bill's more electronic music from the past 20 years. TFE was good. And a couple of these newer songs seem to fit into that mold. Not awful. But also not terribly original or interesting.

I don't understand WTF he is trying to say or convey with these animated videos. Whatever it is it's not worth much

Old 10-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #17
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

yeah I was pretty much done after listening to the first two songs

Old 10-17-2020, 04:30 PM   #18
Ram27
dumb

electronic is not inherently bad it's just that billy's is bad. especially when we're expecting traditional smashing pumpkins

that's not entirely relevant to the thread but it's a little on my mind just thinking of the sad machine response to the thread

this is excellent:

Old 10-17-2020, 05:49 PM   #19
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm a little disappointed but I'd be way more disappointed if they'd done the album I wanted or the album I expected.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:13 PM   #20
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I don’t get who Cyr is for.

Is Billy writing the music he wants to? Really? Jimmy would rather drum like this than JCC? So what were the diverse styles or progressive 8 minute tracks of the old band about? Why is it hard to write longer tracks but easy to pump out two dozen 3 min youtube singles?

It’s like Corgan’s approach to writing this album is some sort of 4D chess against a non-existent opponent. He is terrible at second-guessing “the music biz” and his audience.

Wake me up when Jimmy, James and Billy actually get in a room together and jam out ideas they’re collectively into.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #21
New Art Rioter
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
It’s like Corgan’s approach to writing this album is some sort of 4D chess against a non-existent opponent. He is terrible at second-guessing “the music biz” and his audience
This is what I've thought about his music periodically for quite a while now, well put. Anytime he over analyses and goes to 'compete on a high level' with whatever variables that entails it results in less strong work

Old 10-17-2020, 11:05 PM   #22
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

I could totally be down with his latest stuff over the last 10+ years... but it’s just so cringe to hear his vibrato vocals.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:09 PM   #23
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Is Billy writing the music he wants to? Really? Jimmy would rather drum like this than JCC? So what were the diverse styles or progressive 8 minute tracks of the old band about? Why is it hard to write longer tracks but easy to pump out two dozen 3 min youtube singles?

It’s like Corgan’s approach to writing this album is some sort of 4D chess against a non-existent opponent. He is terrible at second-guessing “the music biz” and his audience.

Wake me up when Jimmy, James and Billy actually get in a room together and jam out ideas they’re collectively into.
I think Willy seriously saw Cyr as becoming the dance smash hit of 2020. It sounds so generic and so bad and repetitive though and very few drawn to old SP quality would be into such crap music.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:36 PM   #24
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah this might be the final nail in the coffin for me. Billo has always been an asshole but I was willing to overlook some of his antics when the music was good or at least interesting. But over the past decade he’s somehow become an even bigger asshole (the Alex Jones appearances, the Trump defenses, publicly shitting on D’arcy and trying to portray HIMSELF as the victim) while turning out music that has been absolute garbage aside from a couple bright spots. STILL, he hoodwinked me into paying to see the Pumpkins TWICE once he did the 3/4 reunion (though the second time was more because I wanted to see Noel Gallagher). But yeah, songs like Marchin’ On and With Sympathy made me think that maybe good things could lie ahead. Instead, we got whatever this trash is on CYR or Shiny Oh So LiteBrite 2 or whatever the fuck it’s called.

I would honestly be embarrassed to tell people that SP is my favorite band of all time, except that I know most people aren’t even aware that they’ve put out anything since the late 1990s. That’s how irrelevant Billy has become.

Old 10-18-2020, 12:45 AM   #25
Raskolnikov
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
But yeah, songs like Marchin’ On and With Sympathy made me think that maybe good things could lie ahead. Instead, we got whatever this trash is on CYR or Shiny Oh So LiteBrite 2 or whatever the fuck it’s called.
Agreed with you on the With Sympathy point - that thing is top 5 from 2007-present material.

But the fact that this one is also titled Shiny and Oh So Bright - but does NOT have a ridiculous sub-title is very frustrating to me. I almost enjoyed calling V1 by it's full acronymic abbreviation more than any of the songs on there. It was so fun to rattle off SAOSBV1LPNPNFNS at any given opportunity. But the fact that he's naming this one Shiny and Oh So Bright... but then it's not printed on there? That the thing isn't even called SAOSBV2: CYR which could then be shittily abbreviated? The fact that I asked him on Instagram if the full title was then "Shiny and Oh So Bright: Volume 2 - CYR" and he said "I guess" as the answer?

Sad.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:57 AM   #26
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:

yea it's absolutely ridiculous.

instead of playing music they like, they see themselves as a band on a mission. always trying to compete, stay relevant, and push the envelope.
THEY are trying to see this music as this alien futuristic music from way out of left field that's gonna surprise and amaze people lol

in reality it's just generic and homogenous electro/new-wavesque music that does an exceedingly brilliant job in completely cancelling out each of the band members' unique respective strengths and talents.

Old 10-18-2020, 09:11 AM   #27
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
electronic is not inherently bad it's just that billy's is bad. especially when we're expecting traditional smashing pumpkins

that's not entirely relevant to the thread but it's a little on my mind just thinking of the sad machine response to the thread

this is excellent:

This is actually bad. Alvvays suck

Old 10-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #28
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

sp rules. other bands suck.

Old 10-18-2020, 11:07 AM   #29
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgotten Child View Post
This is actually bad. Alvvays suck
Avvways rules. STFU!

Old 10-18-2020, 11:29 AM   #30
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

As pointed out here many times before its the fact that Billy is producing it himself that is the problem. Turn up the volume more on the synths, create some more layers, make them more crunchy, add some noticeable guitar solos. Recreate that same textured wall of sound but just in a different way and I think this album would be good. Unfortunately, the only producer is willing to take input from is Rick Rubin and ultimately that's going to be limiting. In that very recent Zane Lowe interview he was talking about how much he loved Fantogram, so I gave them a listen and their electronic sound is so much more textured and mixed so much better. Like, Billy, there's good examples of how to do this all around you just apply some of the same principles