Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2015, 12:21 AM   #31
pumpkinfan1988
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine Wheel View Post
That's total bullshit. You act like the band was on the cutting edge at first. Corgan has always been an opportunist or at least until Adore. First it was stuff similar to The Cure. And then It was Janes Addiction. And then it was shoegaze and grunge.
That's because it was, many of the albums when released were ahead of their time. This is why the older songs are still very much relevant even today.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:17 AM   #32
bye june
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
"You do a shoot for NME or Melody Maker in 92 and the first thing they do is push you in the back because you're not good looking enough, you don't forget all that"

I guess that verifies the Kim Thayil story.
"It means they don't think I'm the cute one."

Old 01-13-2015, 01:21 AM   #33
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
"You do a shoot for NME or Melody Maker in 92 and the first thing they do is push you in the back because you're not good looking enough, you don't forget all that"

it gives it another historical reference, maybe

that spin article still reads like a 90s onion piece to me though

Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 AM   #34
Saih
Pledge

It's apparent to me that Billy just doesn't give a shit about the music.
There is no passion in anything he has written in the last 10 years, except maybe the Chicago Songs, but that's still kind of different again.

Billy stop fucking focusing on what will sell, because it won't make you happy.
Relevance in the media and the music won't make you happy.
Why do you want to be apart of the very thing you keep raging against??

Have some fucking dignity and create something you can be proud of.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:50 AM   #35
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

he doesn't know where his head is.

people don't want this, people don't want that, people want so and so. oh and by the way, we don't want to do what people want, because we're not monkeys at the circus, so fuck you, i'll just think of something nobody is happy with. problem solved. stop living in the past.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #36
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfan1988 View Post
That's because it was, many of the albums when released were ahead of their time. This is why the older songs are still very much relevant even today.
LOL how old are you?

Old 01-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #37
dodoz
Demi-God

" she's, like, "write me a single" and you say "okay", "you got a hook?" "okay." I'm not saying it's easy cos you have to have a gift for it, but I know how to do it and I never stopped knowing how to do it."

You WISH you still knew how to do it, Billy.

"Having someone like Mike Byrne [former drummer, who joined when he was 21] in the band, you occasionally say "what you listening to?" and he plays it and it's pop, and they think it's so different because the guy's using a fucking marimba or some shit, or they're playing in some weird time signature and you listen and it's pop, it's pop music! They pretend it's not the Thompson Twins, but it is! It's the Thompson Twins! They're making overt pop music but they dress it up with ukuleles and African drums and convince themselves it's something different, but it's not... it's pop music."

So Mike would listen to Vampire Weekend or Caribou, then ?

Also, hey, why does he have to mention Muse in every friggin' interview ? He's jealous. "Why are they so big with their prog epics and I'm not". Boy, I HATE Muse. And they've been popular in Europe for much longer than in the US - enough of Muse, please.

Last edited by dodoz : 01-13-2015 at 05:54 AM.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:10 AM   #38
lemonscure
Pledge

So organ "could" make another Siamese Dream...remember "I'm Doing The Best I Can"? And both of them (interviewer and Bill) should stop calling the record a rock record (they called it pop too, but threw the "rock" word in it in some places).

Old 01-13-2015, 06:40 AM   #39
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:

hahaha I thought the exact same thing

Old 01-13-2015, 06:47 AM   #40
fuzzyroes
Banned

Bill just doesn't have a passion for the music anymore. The only thing he's concerned about is becoming popular again.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:01 AM   #41
Butt Pope
Apocalyptic Poster

Honestly I'd rather have an Axel Rose type meltdown and seclusion rather than these 4,000 whiney interviews and crappy albums that we're getting.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:17 AM   #42
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

maybe he'll go on a shooting rampage at an awards show and kill all the new pop artists

Old 01-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #43
Ram27
dumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodoz View Post
"Having someone like Mike Byrne [former drummer, who joined when he was 21] in the band, you occasionally say "what you listening to?" and he plays it and it's pop, and they think it's so different because the guy's using a fucking marimba or some shit, or they're playing in some weird time signature and you listen and it's pop, it's pop music! They pretend it's not the Thompson Twins, but it is! It's the Thompson Twins! They're making overt pop music but they dress it up with ukuleles and African drums and convince themselves it's something different, but it's not... it's pop music."
Pop music = music

ok

Old 01-13-2015, 09:14 AM   #44
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Kinda like most rock and metal bands ever? They dress up their songs with heavy guitars and an alternative 'tude, but it's all pop in the end, and you could easily arrange it so Miley Cyrus could sing it.
Grow the fuck up, Billy!

Old 01-13-2015, 09:23 AM   #45
DaveKShape
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram27 View Post
Pop music = music

ok
I don't even get where he's going to be honest. Is he mad about people not just saying "this is pop"? Or is he mad that people are making pop music but just putting weird instruments in it? I mean, this dude wrote "Being Beige", which is just a straight up pop song, and not even a very good one at that.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:10 AM   #46
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
" she's, like, "write me a single" and you say "okay", "you got a hook?" "okay." I'm not saying it's easy cos you have to have a gift for it, but I know how to do it and I never stopped knowing how to do it."

You WISH you still knew how to do it, Billy.

So Mike would listen to Vampire Weekend or Caribou, then ?

Also, hey, why does he have to mention Muse in every friggin' interview ? He's jealous. "Why are they so big with their prog epics and I'm not". Boy, I HATE Muse. And they've been popular in Europe for much longer than in the US - enough of Muse, please.
Muse gets brought up nonstop because they're one of the only rock bands left with any balls.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #47
juliana
Apocalyptic Poster

I wonder what Mike did for billy to be so obsessed with bitching about him? It isn't like Mike left SP and is super successful, he is just doing some drum lessons in portland.

Old 01-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #48
myosis
Minion of Satan

in the 90's thom yorke would say about radiohead music: "they're just pop songs"

Old 01-13-2015, 10:15 AM   #49
in stereo
Demi-God

Billy has made, what, like $50 Million?

Isn't that "celebration" enough for you, Big Boy?

Old 01-13-2015, 10:34 AM   #50
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

He wants to make his own Tinted Windows, with hookers and blackjack

Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM   #51
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
Muse gets brought up nonstop because they're one of the only rock bands left with any balls.
LOL.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #52
morespsoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
Old man rock and roll bill
Do you know why I have still have faith?

Ozzy Osbourne basically came out of the grave to record his "Scream" album at 63 years old.

If he can do it, Billy Corgan can!

Old 01-13-2015, 11:13 AM   #53
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
LOL.
I second that emotion.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:17 AM   #54
dodoz
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by morespsoon View Post
Do you know why I have still have faith?

Ozzy Osbourne basically came out of the grave to record his "Scream" album at 63 years old.

If he can do it, Billy Corgan can!
Does he write hiw own material though ? Because that's the point with Billy : being burned out as he wrote so much. Just like very few people expect exciting new material from the Rolling Stones or whoever...

Old 01-13-2015, 11:19 AM   #55
morespsoon

Quote:
Does he write hiw own material though ? Because that's the point with Billy : being burned out as he wrote so much. Just like very few people expect exciting new material from the Rolling Stones or whoever...
He got a writing credit on every song:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scream_...Osbourne_album)

Old 01-13-2015, 11:30 AM   #56
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
in the 90's thom yorke would say about radiohead music: "they're just pop songs"
Johnny Greenwood is pretty humble about his guitar playing as well, and he's at least as good as Billy (I prefer Billy's style, but not by much). From a recent interview:

“As a guitarist I feel semi-fraudulent, like I’m bluffing. If I went and played guitar in another band, people would realise what I’m really doing. I mean, I enjoy it hugely. But it’s all very limited. I’m not holding anything back. I don’t have any skills.”

Old 01-13-2015, 11:51 AM   #57
dodoz
Demi-God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJddqw8U20c

Just pop songs promoted in shitty shows

I remember, I reviewed "The Bends" for a local thing at the time (boy...20 years ago...) and it was just another record for me.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:24 PM   #58
Ram27
dumb

So what makes pop music bad, and what isn't pop music?

Is that Siddartha bullshit not pop music? Because it's so shitty it can't ever be likable?

_____

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatvegetable View Post
A few things about Billy are quite clear:

He has no idea what made the band's albums popular in the first place; I often hear him refer to his singles as his best songs - to most fans, Porcelina, Hummer, and TTEOR are quintessential SP, Cherub Rock and Today aren't. Granted, you need hit singles to push an album but not a whole album of them. He is also deluded about what made Siamese Dream so great. He keeps referring to making SD2 but actually SD is a crushingly emotive album made by a man who had an exigent life-need to make that music. Remember when he released Untitled and said 'I told you we could always do it' - that song's power was not a patch on SD.

He's not right in the head and clearly suffers from an extremely deep seated validity issue. He's also completely stopped making sense. He continually contradicts himself with both his words and actions.

I think he's finally totally lost the plot.

Billy is and always was 1/4th of the equation.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #59
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Bill bitches that there's no real rock music anymore, but like it our not there is still a rock scene. The sad fact is that for those who do follow rock n roll bill's music can't even compete with a band like Nickelback, which is playing an arena tour this year.

He doesn't get any credit anymore because he doesn't deserve it.

Old 01-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #60
fuzzyroes
Banned

Scotts right. When Bill was on the stretch of Gish-->Siamese Dream--> MCIS he was one of the most acclaimed, successful artists. Winning awards left and right, huge singles, selling boatloads of albums, headlining festivals, successful tours... The whole nine yards.

The simple fact is Billys writing quality has fallen off a cliff from Adore-->to present. Sure, I'm a fan and theres a lot to like in there, but I'd be kidding myself if I was to say it was in the same leauge as his first 3 records... Not even close.