Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2018, 10:46 AM   #61
MarshallMonster
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
The more a musician talks about the technical aspects of gear, the less likely they know what the hell they’re doing.
How enlightening. Finding out what I don’t know, and correcting what I thought I knew is precisely what I’m here for. Not really sure what your aim was.

How convenient though. By your theory you can just say nothing or simply make comments like you have and fake the possibility of actually knowing something.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:23 AM   #62
MarshallMonster
Amish Rake Fighter

What you might have wanted to say is “the more a musician talks about the technical aspects, especially of other musicians, the less likely he actually knows how to play his instrument” An observation of value and some truth but of no real value here and now. Especially not for me since I’m already fully aware that my interest and knowledge of the technical aspects are much greater than my actual ability to play. I’m working on it but it’s simultaneous. Great tone is inspiring. When I was younger I played pure shit for gear. It was limiting and discouraging. I would have done better with better gear and been even more inspired. The fact that I continued to play, when I had a severely up bowed samick bass guitar, with a small peavey guitar amp that sounded like shit, only reinforces my belief that I didn’t lack the desire to play and practice but the knowledge and equipment to actually make it sound good. For some it’s really important to know everything about what they’re doing and certain curiosities consume your mental energy. How can it not? When I hear something that sounds so amazing, the instant desire is to recreate... the music itself yes, but the tone, the much longer path, is how. The shortcut as a musician is studying those who have already invested their lifetimes into this quest. Each of their journeys is multiplied by every other musician they studied in the same way and so on.

Of course I could just shrug it off like I’m too cool to actually care about anything and I just rolled out of bed with a natural, divine intuition as to what works and what doesn’t. Or maybe I should ignore people who don’t matter because they are so convinced that nothing does.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #63
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Wow you are not gonna last very long here at this rate.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:35 AM   #64
MarshallMonster
Amish Rake Fighter

If this place is populated with people who are more concerned with their post count than the actual substance of their posts... then you’re right I won’t. If all you guys do is flame and spam each other with one sentence remarks like 8th grade kids....then you’re right I won’t. Reading this thread was depressing.....it is 95 percent childish bullshit. Was really hoping for more.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:42 AM   #65
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Calm down numb nuts.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #66
slunken
Virgo

haha got his ass

Old 11-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #67
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallMonster View Post
If this place is populated with people who are more concerned with their post count than the actual substance of their posts... then you’re right I won’t. If all you guys do is flame and spam each other with one sentence remarks like 8th grade kids....then you’re right I won’t. Reading this thread was depressing.....it is 95 percent childish bullshit. Was really hoping for more.
Yes; then consider that the average age of a pumpkins fan is around 45 y o. Not a flattering reality. I have eleven people on ignore, and my account is barely a month old. The experience is much improved.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:01 PM   #68
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Yeah really stoked to buy a guitar that Corgan used on his worst recorded output. All the kids want one.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #69
MarshallMonster
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
Yes; then consider that the average age of a pumpkins fan is around 45 y o. Not a flattering reality. I have eleven people on ignore, and my account is barely a month old. The experience is much improved.
That’s crazy to think about. It would be better if a poster could delete stupid replies so that a person who is actually interested in the subject matter could read it without wading through shit. I could respect it if they could actually formulate an argument as opposed to beavis and butthead quality comments. I actually had to present the argument for them... since their attention span wandered before completion of the thought, presuming their was ever a complete thought present. I’d love to know what people with that mentality do for a living. It would be interesting to know just how sad and pathetic their lives must be. Even if they were some how successful their need to come here and talk like that to people would have to be some kind of mental health warning.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #70
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

welcome to netphoria, you can do what everyone else does (for example, probably with you) and use the ignore function. that way you don't have to "delete" replies you don't want to read, you don't see them in the first place. as for your concerns about the quality of people's post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncg View Post
The more a musician talks about the technical aspects of gear, the less likely they know what the hell they’re doing.
Quote:
What you might have wanted to say is “the more a musician talks about the technical aspects, especially of other musicians, the less likely he actually knows how to play his instrument”
you can start with your own posts

Old 11-16-2018, 12:10 PM   #71
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Go back to your safe zone at sad machines if you have a problem with free discourse whether some of it’s dumb or not. Don’t know why you’re so insecure that you feel such a need to defend Corgan at every turn when someone says something negative about him. Pretty obvious who you are. Seriously get a life.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:12 PM   #72
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
That’s crazy to think about. It would be better if a poster could delete stupid replies so that a person who is actually interested in the subject matter could read it without wading through shit. I could respect it if they could actually formulate an argument as opposed to beavis and butthead quality comments. I actually had to present the argument for them... since their attention span wandered before completion of the thought, presuming their was ever a complete thought present. I’d love to know what people with that mentality do for a living. It would be interesting to know just how sad and pathetic their lives must be. Even if they were some how successful their need to come here and talk like that to people would have to be some kind of mental health warning.
The only reason I like these forums better than reddit is because on these forums a topic can last more days, months or even years. On reddit you get a tiny bit of good dialogue going, and then it's on to the next thing. During SP's quiet period, the subreddit goes to sleep completely. OTOH, there's no voting system, so the shit posts as just as visible as the good ones. Most of the posts here would be buried on reddit, if you were to post them verbatim.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #73
johncg
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Please write me another 5 paragraphs about how much more successful and healthy you are.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #74
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Jesus fucking Christ there are a lot of garbage diatribes around here lately. If it's taller than it is wide, I'm not reading it

Old 11-16-2018, 01:22 PM   #75
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by killtrocity View Post
Jesus fucking
Christ there
are a lot of
garbage
diatribes around
here lately. If
it's taller than
it is wide, I'm
not reading it
hwaht??

Old 11-16-2018, 01:27 PM   #76
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

nice 1 boy

& fans buying the sig guitar? I'd be sooner inclined to ask how many fans here bought his albums in the past 5 years!

Old 11-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #77
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

I picked up a Yamaha LJ-16. No point in paying for his logo on the headstock. Way cheaper.

Old 11-16-2018, 02:37 PM   #78
Ihaguitar
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Yeah really stoked to buy a guitar that Corgan used on his worst recorded output. All the kids want one.
Yeah it's a bit of an odd choice if you're looking for your only decent electric guitar.