Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Indicate your stance on firearms:
I have one or more firearms, and i like them 7 16.28%
I don't have any firearms, but i wish that i did / plan on getting some 12 27.91%
I don't have or want any firearms myself, but have no problem with anyone having them if they want 5 11.63%
I don't have or want any firearms, and feel that most people should not be allowed to have them 19 44.19%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #61
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Erm, no. If I had refused any service I would have to face consequences, but here in Austria we have a choice - 6 months of military service or 8 months of alternative civilian service. For historical reasons the only officially accepted motives for choosing the latter are "ethical concerns", hence no guns for antipop.
good "choice" there.

I still think it is decent that you at least took a less overtly violent route.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #62
Pizza Club
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by antipop View Post
Erm, no. If I had refused any service I would have to face consequences, but here in Austria we have a choice - 6 months of military service or 8 months of alternative civilian service. For historical reasons the only officially accepted motives for choosing the latter are "ethical concerns", hence no guns for antipop.
Is there anything else you aren't allowed to do?

Old 01-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #63
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jczeroman View Post
This is not my point. My point is that the government is not there to protect us. The idea that I should trust my life, my family and my stuff to a fat 40-something named "Barry" who gets a government salary and has no incentive to serve me - is ludicrous.
i dunno, man. i don't have that much faith in the police force's ability to protect me. but i also don't see a need for me to have a gun. if someone really wants to rob me or kill me, then that'll suck. but i'm not scared enough of that happening to justify wanting to have a gun with me all the time. shit happens, and i might not be prepared for all of it. but i don't see how that's a great justification for needing to carry a weapon.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:30 PM   #64
Eulogy
huh

maybe i'm just a pussy.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:32 PM   #65
Mo
Immortal

Talking

Quote:
good "choice" there.

I still think it is decent that you at least took a less overtly violent route.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza Club View Post
Is there anything else you aren't allowed to do?
I don't think so. Except taking jobs where I'd need guns or rifles, of course.
Oh yeah, and my late grandfather called me "unpatriotic" several times.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #66
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
maybe i'm just a pussy.
Not really.

I want a minigun just to kill people with though so you know.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #67
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
i dunno, man. i don't have that much faith in the police force's ability to protect me. but i also don't see a need for me to have a gun. if someone really wants to rob me or kill me, then that'll suck. but i'm not scared enough of that happening to justify wanting to have a gun with me all the time. shit happens, and i might not be prepared for all of it. but i don't see how that's a great justification for needing to carry a weapon.
Oh yes, I totally agree with you. God knows I didn't want to carry my guns around. My ideal society is not one where everyone's some vigilante with a shotgun and a box of shells in their closet. I just think people who want to defend themselves in this way should be allowed to do so. And I think that the fact that some people will chose to do this will also benefit the people around them more than it will put them at risk.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #68
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
I'd do Karina Vargas.

I'd imagine the guys who go out and buy 20 handguns to "protect" their families would've handled the situation better than the government, huh? And besides, you're in England right now, so if anything I should be threatening you and your nonexistent king with my gun to keep you out of my face. Honestly, I'd rather have guns in the hands of asshole cops than asshole rednecks. I say this as a gun owner.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #69
agenda suicide
cunt cookies

there's also the fact that any old joker that can legally get a gun quite often doesn't learn how to properly use it. and you have to worry about some scared guy firing his gun at the wrong times. or a thug shooting whoever he so chooses because it makes him feel like a badass. etc etc so on and so fourth.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:34 PM   #70
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Yes, but only if everyone also had ninja suits. And maybe throwing-stars.

And not those crappy origami ones.
I was thinking...

Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #71
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
I'd do Karina Vargas.
Wait is she related to Elizabeth Vargas. Unf... what happened to her?

Quote:
I'd imagine the guys who go out and buy 20 handguns to "protect" their families would've handled the situation better than the government, huh? And besides, you're in England right now, so if anything I should be threatening you and your nonexistent king with my gun to keep you out of my face. Honestly, I'd rather have guns in the hands of asshole cops than asshole rednecks. I say this as a gun owner.
No, maybe not that situation, we'll never know. I'm just saying I think it is reckless to set-up a society where one group of people get all of the physical power. These people happen to be the same group that makes all laws. Oh, yes and the only people allowed to interpret these laws. And enforce them. And they are the only arbiter in disputes that involve themselves. Call me crazy - but I don't think this is going to be stable in the long-run.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #72
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
I was thinking...
YES!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #73
Trotskilicious
Banned

Now you're on board with my samuraization programme

Old 01-12-2009, 07:42 PM   #74
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
No, maybe not that situation, we'll never know. I'm just saying I think it is reckless to set-up a society where one group of people get all of the physical power. These people happen to be the same group that makes all laws. Oh, yes and the only people allowed to interpret these laws. And enforce them. And they are the only arbiter in disputes that involve themselves. Call me crazy - but I don't think this is going to be stable in the long-run.

I won't defend cops; they piss me off. But in an elected government those people in power represent the people. If you vote right then you don't have to worry about government oppression. ...Unless you like oppression.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #75
jczeroman

Quote:
If you vote right then you don't have to worry about government oppression. ...Unless you like oppression.
Somehow, I just don't think it's that simple. Maybe I'm over-thinking it.

But then again, I would probably trust people with guns before I'd trust them to vote for this monopoly power system that is somehow going to just restrain itself out of the goodness of it's heart.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #76
Trotskilicious
Banned

I'm oppressed.

The gov't won't let me have a missile launcher.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM   #77
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
Help, help! I'm being oppressed!

Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #78
jczeroman

Quote:
I'm oppressed.

The gov't won't let me have a missile launcher.
You should be able to have a missile launcher. Why does the government have a right to pre-emptively assume you will commit a crime or be negligent. Is this not the same justification for invading Iraq or Iran? Or racial profiling? Or banning drugs and alcohol?

If you use a missile launcher or make credible aggressive threats with said launcher, then I hope they toss you in jail and throw away the key. But you aren't guilty of homicidal missile launching just because you have the capacity to do it.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #79
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

Quote:
But then again, I would probably trust people with guns before I'd trust them to vote for this monopoly power system that is somehow going to just restrain itself out of the goodness of it's heart.
I trust myself to vote enough to control that government and prevent my neighbors from accidentally firing a bullet through one of my walls into the side of my head. Of course, my neighbors voted for Bush when he was running for reelection... so the issue here isn't the government at all so much as irresponsible people in general. We need to focus our efforts on irresponsibility.

We can start by seriously addressing this samuraization proposal.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #80
barden
Braindead

i could get a gun pretty easily here.
going the official way is pretty hard, which is modertaly reassuring I guess, cause they make it pretty hard in SA. But as I said, I could get a gun pretty easy and I'm a stupid suburban white guy. So yeah.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:58 PM   #81
jczeroman

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden View Post
i could get a gun pretty easily here.
going the official way is pretty hard, which is modertaly reassuring I guess, cause they make it pretty hard in SA. But as I said, I could get a gun pretty easy and I'm a stupid suburban white guy. So yeah.
case-in-point.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #82
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I hear you can get an AK in Africa for 20 dollars. My source may or may not be extremely hot singer/songwriter M.I.A.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #83
barden
Braindead

20 dollars is how much in rand at the moment?
like, R300?

nah, more then that.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #84
jczeroman

Quote:
We need to focus our efforts on irresponsibility.
Individual responsibility is inherently, by definition, an intrinsic value. The answer is not for "us" to focus on other people's responsibility - this is not physically possible. Even externalities such as laws, punishment, etc... are only going to, at best, mask irresponsibility (by surface compliance) and at worst create power-structures where such irresponsible people now are in a much greater position to externalise their irresponsibility onto innocents.

Rather it is for us to be responsible ourselves. We need to non-aggressively promote the kind of peaceful, well-ordered, responsible lifestyle and set a good example.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:05 PM   #85
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
If you use a missile launcher or make credible aggressive threats with said launcher, then I hope they toss you in jail and throw away the key. But you aren't guilty of homicidal missile launching just because you have the capacity to do it.
Seriously though bro...uh you know I'd rather people go "i don't care what you want it for you're not getting a missile launcher" just to save the dozen or so people from the explosion...you know?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #86
jczeroman

This is the longest I've spent on this website in one session in years.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #87
Trotskilicious
Banned

I'M DOING MY BEST.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #88
barden
Braindead

if I had like R1500 or maybe R2000 and I was serious about getting an AK i probably could.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #89
jczeroman

Quote:
I'M DOING MY BEST.
Yea, well it's way past my bedtime. Fortunately no sex for a few days so I'm not missing anything worth going to bed for.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #90
Debaser
ghost

i remember hashing this out pretty well in some other old thread (started by *************?).