Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #1
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face
Default apartment hunting

looking at my first place today. anyone else doing this right now? it fucking sucks

Old 05-03-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

It does suck. I got lucky and had a connection (knew a property manager from work). I have no advice other than don't settle out of desperation and also visit the apartment twice, at different times of the day.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

be vewwy vewwy quiet; i'm hunting apawtments. heheheheheh

Old 05-03-2018, 09:12 AM   #4
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

You're probably already aware but PadMapper is pretty decent.

https://www.padmapper.com

Old 05-03-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

the problem is no one will deal with me because my income is not 3x the rent. even though i have never missed a rent payment in my life, have good credit, and my mom with 800+ credit is willing to cosign. the other problem is i can only afford the very bottom end of what's available. i put in my $1100 limit (which is stretching it) and that i have a cat and 98% of places disappear as options. then most of the rest have the 3x income problem.

the place is saw today is willing to work with me, don't even need a cosigner, no income minimum (i directly asked and told the manager my situation), just good credit/no background issues/good references and first/security. $1000/mo. I might be able to do better but not much, and it's literally 5 minutes from my current place. Which means I can prob pay some guy $100 to move my stuff and I don't have to worry about transferring to another location at my job or having a commute. it's not the nicest apartment i've ever seen but it's in a good area and clean and takes pets.

it is kinda taking the easy way out but i'm so stressed about it. WHY the fuck do places not want to talk to you until the month before you move even though it takes 1-2 weeks to get approved. it's bullshit, i wanted to do this last month instead of feeling like i need to decide lest i don't get approved and am fucked

$100 application fee. i got a money order. they want vet records so i'm getting my cat's shots up to date tomorrow. then i'll send everything in. hopefully that's that.

i talked to 4 other places and they won't even consider me cuz of income. only one other prospect, it's cheap $750/mo but it's in a terrible area

Old 05-03-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Location: I’ve been trying to move to the Nordic countries for 5 years but the cost is astronomical to become an expatriate

Wow. Makes me glad my landlord is a compassionate slacker.

At least it's in a good area. I love my apartment but I live close to a busy road where some.sketchy shit happens at night.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Didn't even know vet records was something a landlord would ask for.

Old 05-03-2018, 05:40 PM   #8
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

it's not a super great area and i wouldn't doubt there's some minor drug dealing in the area but no murders and shit. where i live now is like 8/10 safe and there is probably 6-7/10. some places even in the same town are like 3/10. actually about a mile in the other direction from the new place is really fucking shady, one time i was driving down the road and there was a dude wearing a shirt that said "CRACK ROCKS" no joke

Old 05-03-2018, 05:41 PM   #9
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingGlobes View Post
i guess they want proof of rabies vaccination

Old 05-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #10
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Makes sense, really. I've just never been asked.

I don't have the most attentive or discerning landlord I suppose.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
seriously

Old 05-03-2018, 08:16 PM   #12
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
the problem is no one will deal with me because my income is not 3x the rent. even though i have never missed a rent payment in my life, have good credit, and my mom with 800+ credit is willing to cosign. the other problem is i can only afford the very bottom end of what's available. i put in my $1100 limit (which is stretching it) and that i have a cat and 98% of places disappear as options. then most of the rest have the 3x income problem.

the place is saw today is willing to work with me, don't even need a cosigner, no income minimum (i directly asked and told the manager my situation), just good credit/no background issues/good references and first/security. $1000/mo. I might be able to do better but not much, and it's literally 5 minutes from my current place. Which means I can prob pay some guy $100 to move my stuff and I don't have to worry about transferring to another location at my job or having a commute. it's not the nicest apartment i've ever seen but it's in a good area and clean and takes pets.

it is kinda taking the easy way out but i'm so stressed about it. WHY the fuck do places not want to talk to you until the month before you move even though it takes 1-2 weeks to get approved. it's bullshit, i wanted to do this last month instead of feeling like i need to decide lest i don't get approved and am fucked

$100 application fee. i got a money order. they want vet records so i'm getting my cat's shots up to date tomorrow. then i'll send everything in. hopefully that's that.

i talked to 4 other places and they won't even consider me cuz of income. only one other prospect, it's cheap $750/mo but it's in a terrible area
that sounds kind of alright.

really had no idea signing for an apartment in the US is so needlessly complicated. but as long as the apartment answers for your crucial needs, the rest isn't all that important. you can always spiffy up the apartment and make it your own.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #13
TuralyonW3
Immortal

it especially sucks where you live where everything is stupid expensive

Old 05-03-2018, 08:46 PM   #14
noyen
Immortal

I have money and am white and am having a problem finding a place to rent, especially one that allows a dog. I have seen requirements here being 4x or 5x rent income proof. it is depressing when there is already a housing shortage and landlords immediately get greedy. sometimes it's easier to buy than rent.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:27 PM   #15
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
me either but it says to attach so i'm going to. she's behind anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
that sounds kind of alright.

really had no idea signing for an apartment in the US is so needlessly complicated. but as long as the apartment answers for your crucial needs, the rest isn't all that important. you can always spiffy up the apartment and make it your own.
thanks. yeah, it's alright. i don't even know what i'm going to do with all the room, i'm so used to living in this small place. it's like 2.5x the size i'd estimate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
seriously, it's ridiculous. i could do a roommate situation for probably like $700 a month but i don't trust anyone with my cat and i'm 33 fucking years old like seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by noyen View Post
I have money and am white and am having a problem finding a place to rent, especially one that allows a dog. I have seen requirements here being 4x or 5x rent income proof. it is depressing when there is already a housing shortage and landlords immediately get greedy. sometimes it's easier to buy than rent.
4-5x income? that's fucking crazy. why would i be getting this dumpy apartment if i made 40k-50k per year instead of a much nicer one for $1300 a month with a gate and gym and shit

Old 05-03-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i just filled out most of the application, it does ask for income from my job, but there's no place to put other income. so i put my total income there (i still get $$ from disability for a few more months). they aren't asking for paystubs or anything so i don't think it should be a problem. i did sign a release for them to be able to get my bank account balances. fucking intrusive but whatever i guess. at least they'll see i have enough to pay several month's rent...

when i go to drop off the application tomorrow i'll tell them what i did w/r/t the income. i already told the property manager my deal with looking for a job and asked him straight up if they required 3x income and that i only had 2x right now and he said no problem. but the office might say something else, hopefully not.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:11 PM   #17
fuzzyroes
Banned

That sounds like a headache. I had no idea apartment managers were so stringent about such a specific income requirement.

Hope you find a nice new place!

Old 05-03-2018, 10:49 PM   #18
noyen
Immortal

ITS CALLED CAPITALISM FUZZY ITS CALLED RETURN ON INVESTMENT ITS CALLED MARGINS. FUCKING GO BACK TO SCHOOL.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:56 PM   #19
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
That sounds like a headache. I had no idea apartment managers were so stringent about such a specific income requirement.

Hope you find a nice new place!
it sounds like you've been lucky, like me, finding a chill place being rented by a private owner. unfortunately my luck ran out

Old 05-03-2018, 11:01 PM   #20
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

it will be nice having a real kitchen. no one over 25 should have a dorm fridge

Old 05-03-2018, 11:27 PM   #21
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
it sounds like you've been lucky, like me, finding a chill place being rented by a private owner. unfortunately my luck ran out
Is your landlord giving you the boot or something? You seem like you'd be a good tenant

Old 05-03-2018, 11:56 PM   #22
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

yeah, they are remodeling their house. i think their son is having a baby so they are reclaiming the studio as a regular room for him + his wife + baby but i'm not 100% sure, not really my business. they are already doing some work though, they just redid a bathroom, had a tub on the curb this morning. right now this studio has its own entrance and everything, they could just knock out a wall and take out the cabinets and have a pretty big master-size bedroom with its own bathroom and exit to outside. if they moved the fence down a dozen feet the entrance could go right into the backyard/pool area

Old 05-04-2018, 12:59 AM   #23
noyen
Immortal

this is exactly how Hitler groomed his first wife, Stella

Old 05-04-2018, 02:56 AM   #24
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

yeah i hate it too repri i went apartment hunting last weekend the weather was shit and we shot one terraced house and three garden sheds instead very disappointing

Old 05-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #25
smashingjj
real estate cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuralyonW3 View Post
apparently it is there yes. I talked to erica and thought it was v expensive, but then I realized it's twice as expensive in central Amsterdam.

I'm privileged, I don't pay shit

Old 05-04-2018, 01:55 PM   #26
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

about to drop off all my paperwork

the vet saw my cat and said "oh is this an old lady?" she's only 7. he said she looks old. i feel like a bad parent now

Old 05-04-2018, 04:53 PM   #27
FlamingGlobes
Socialphobic

Your vet should feel bad for assuming.

#ageism

Old 05-04-2018, 07:04 PM   #28
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
yeah, they are remodeling their house. i think their son is having a baby so they are reclaiming the studio as a regular room for him + his wife + baby but i'm not 100% sure, not really my business. they are already doing some work though, they just redid a bathroom, had a tub on the curb this morning. right now this studio has its own entrance and everything, they could just knock out a wall and take out the cabinets and have a pretty big master-size bedroom with its own bathroom and exit to outside. if they moved the fence down a dozen feet the entrance could go right into the backyard/pool area
Ahhh fuck.... That's the shits. Ahh well. Guess ya gotta roll with the punches.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:16 PM   #29
slunken
Virgo

do what i did: daydream about buying a trailer and then settle for a shoebox in a great location

Old 05-04-2018, 08:00 PM   #30
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

i dropped off the paperwork a bit ago.

i really could do better but i'm not going to worry about it. in a year i can move, whether it be for grad school or because i'm settled with a job.

i remember when you were thinking of that trailer. why'd you decide against it?