Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 10-21-2015, 08:11 PM   #31
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
should have told me i need to think positive and eat a banana and i dont need drugs, cover all the bases
A lot of times people just fall victim to their mental inadequacies and then use them as an excuse for their shitty situations and just become enslaved by them. I used to be crippled by OCD but then when I grew older I realized that I had it and took the measures to fight it or at least have it under control and it's hardly an issue now.

I firmly believe that people can re-train their minds if they just break out of their mental paterns. A brains like a muscle, you gotta keep that shit exercised and healthy if you want it to remain strong.

A buddy of mine is diagnosed with social anxiety and he'll never go hang out with people and I badger him about it and he's like "well it's not my fault i have this dissorder" but I tell him if you don't try and break those negative thoughts you'll never get better.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:15 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
A lot of times people just fall victim to their mental inadequacies and then use them as an excuse for their shitty situations and just become enslaved by them. I used to be crippled by OCD but then when I grew older I realized that I had it and took the measures to fight it or at least have it under control and it's hardly an issue now.

I firmly believe that people can re-train their minds if they just break out of their mental paterns. A brains like a muscle, you gotta keep that shit exercised and healthy if you want it to remain strong.

A buddy of mine is diagnosed with social anxiety and he'll never go hang out with people and I badger him about it and he's like "well it's not my fault i have this dissorder" but I tell him if you don't try and break those negative thoughts you'll never get better.
fuzzy, as a fellow comedian, i can tell you about the story of people like richard lewis or woody allen who made a career of being neurotic personalities in the 70s and 80s but now its hard to accept because A) they have medications for that now

Old 10-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #33
slunken
Virgo

i think i've mentioned it before but i have a cousin who suffers from social anxiety just because his girlfriend suffers from social anxiety whereas in reality she just has really really low self-esteem.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 PM   #34
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

boy you guys are determined to denigrate and disrespect me huh?

fuzzy i have a college degree and a good job. im not taking life advice from you, for obvious reasons

Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #35
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
boy you guys are determined
you're doing that thing again where you take an issue with one person and you make it out to be an entire horde.

in the future, please feel free to be specific.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:48 PM   #36
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Also, TRAVEL
VOLUNTEERING !

Old 10-21-2015, 08:49 PM   #37
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slunken View Post
you're doing that thing again where you take an issue with one person and you make it out to be an entire horde.

in the future, please feel free to be specific.
youre doing the whole armchair phd diagnosing people as having "low self esteem" as if that isnt one of the first signs of a legit disorder

while not directed at me its still directed at me

Old 10-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #38
slunken
Virgo

you're assuming i do not suffer from this same "disorder"

lets assume we are both in wheelchairs. just because i play basketball doesn't mean you can hate on me. nor does it necessarily mean i look down on your condition.

we're all disabled. its not a gift.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 PM   #39
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

Quote:

presuming you know what someone else feels or their illness is like is the basic problem here. stop it.

one example of where you don't know what you're talking about. the brain's like a muscle? ok, let's go with that. so what happens when you have depression and you use your muscle brain over and over and over because you dont even know you have it or dont know what to do about it. at this point, not only would you need to retrain it, you need to untrain it first. this is extremely hard for someone with a severe mental disorder. because now you have to 1) start feeling better in some way (meds, generally) 2) learn about your brain and how to untrain it 3) possibly process trauma or w/e 4) retrain it

this is all very simplistic and everything but i hope you get the point, you can't just say "well if you have social anxiety you should just go be social anyway, break the habit!" because if they could they obviously would, thats the fucking problem, and it creates a positive feedback loop that is extremely hard to break out of

and then there's a totally different dimension to mental illness in psychotic disorders, which are not applicable to this model very much. would you tell someone who hears hallucinations to stop using that as an excuse for not doing things? just ignore the voice telling you that if you go outside i will kill your family (or whatever?)

Last edited by reprise85 : 10-21-2015 at 09:06 PM.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #40
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

im glad you were able to help yourself and/or get help, by the way. just dont presume people who are having problems doing that just "aren't trying hard enough, golly gee"

Old 10-21-2015, 09:28 PM   #41
Disco King
Minion of Satan

I wonder if whatever Fuzzyroes has is a real illness, or something he could get over if he tried hard enough.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:53 PM   #42
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
you're assuming i do not suffer from this same "disorder"

lets assume we are both in wheelchairs. just because i play basketball doesn't mean you can hate on me. nor does it necessarily mean i look down on your condition.

we're all disabled. its not a gift.
I love how sideways you are about being anti-pc, mens rights and racist.

Last edited by Trotskilicious : 10-21-2015 at 10:04 PM.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:57 PM   #43
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
i was afraid of getting diagnosed with autism just because i felt i would use it as a crutch

problem? > autism > problem solved!

lol incorrect brain!
seriously what the fuck is this

Old 10-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #44
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
VOLUNTEERING !
Live

Laugh

Love

Old 10-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #45
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
Live

Laugh

Love
Share if you agree

Old 10-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #46
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Talking

"I’d be stoked that we didn’t suck anyone’s dick as a band and were just real dudes being real."

i have to say Bolly having been on twitter in the SD MCIS days probably would have led to hilarious(ly sad) results.

I can just imagine the twitter war with Pavement for one.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:11 PM   #47
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Quote:
That didn't fly back then either. Bach got absolutely destroyed for that and the media only stopped bringing it up once he donated a large amount of money to some HIV charity
Did their label drop them. Did the second album not sell? Yeah mTV squawked about it and the band gave a nonpology but it did fuck all to their career.

Go fuck your intentionally obtuse self.

Can we please just mute this fucker. He's just not interesting in any shape or form anymore, it's just old at this point.

Old 10-22-2015, 01:15 PM   #48
Rider
Minion of Satan

Location: I was born a snake handler, and I'll die a snake handler

Just realized I used a 10th grade word while talking to Fuzzy, sorry to confuse you bra.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #49
soniclovenoize
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Are you fucking kidding me?

It's two things: pills and skills.

Your friend most likely doesn't know how to cope with anxiety. You are correct at heart that he has to deal with it in order to overcome it (see: exposure therapy, etc) but he doesn't know the way to deal with it. He doesn't know how to be skillful in how to cope with the situations effectively. What every-day meanderings you take for granted might be not only insanely difficult for someone with issues, they simply just don't know how to make it work. It's not that it's an excuse for them, it's that they don't know another way.

Mental illness/depression/addiction/anxiety is really not something you can turn on and off or just say "Hey bro no problem just deal with it and be happy " It's not how it works. You are free to believe whatever you want about mental illness/addiction/etc as an outsider, but your point of view can get people killed.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #50
Vriska Serket
Pledge

whirr was a shit band anyway

I've heard better shoegaze in the home appliances section of my local ace hardware

Old 10-22-2015, 06:12 PM   #51
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Did their label drop them. Did the second album not sell? Yeah mTV squawked about it and the band gave a nonpology but it did fuck all to their career.

Go fuck your intentionally obtuse self.

Can we please just mute this fucker. He's just not interesting in any shape or form anymore, it's just old at this point.
They were never signed to RFC. The whole thing is funny. Graveface pretty much said "I won't work with them if they're transphobic" which essentially means as long as they don't do it again they'll still be fine.

Sway sold just fine I'm assuming, considering they played larger venues.

Also, I don't really give a fuck, GLOSS are terrible people who used their gender dysphoria to get famous. So fuck them, and fuck the comment Whirr made about suicide. But also fuck the witch hunters who told Whirr to go kill themselves.

It was all white people trolling them as always anyway. Nobody gets offended more than LGBT allies.

I'm a big Whirr fan, still am. The people on here saying "fuck Whirr" probably loooooove Burzum and Lamb of God.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:20 PM   #52
Vriska Serket
Pledge

You could simulate the Whirr experience by listening to a My Bloody Valentine cover band through your apartment's walls while taking high doses of unisom and vacuuming your rug for an hour.