Old 02-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
TuralyonW3
Immortal

Default Do you ever feel guilty pirating indie music

margin

Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #2
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I'm jamming some Fang Island and I'm like man I won't even pay .99 for an itunes download of this song

Old 02-22-2014, 01:10 AM   #3
TuralyonW3
Immortal

I mean I have a shitload of CDs and Vinyl so it's not like I'm not in the top 10% of people supporting the industry...but I'm thinking about the indie guys paying their bills. Art of course is always a difficult and risky career.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #4
Shallowed
Braindead

If their CDs were cheaper and more available than yeah

Old 02-22-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

if I really love an album I will buy it in a lossless format usually, and I try to support indie artists by going to shows. I don't feel too bad about it, I think file sharing has helped a lot of indie artists. It's just a changing model that is bad for Lars Ulrich's wallet because he's already a rich established piece of shit

Old 02-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #6
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

the way i feel about it is that there is the same pile there ever was it's just spread out more

and there's two ends

there's the knowledge that excess like hair metal days is dead forever

but then you have these douchebag whiner indie turdlickers talking about how they can't make a living fuck you YOU WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN SHIT IN THE 80S

Old 02-22-2014, 05:50 AM   #7
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

as far as i'm concerned you are BLESSED to EVER make money making art, even a little bit. people want it for free at every level and they always have. the radio was free and as you see on the SP board people still act like it should matter...because it's free and they don't have to think hard.

i don't have a lot of vinyl, but i have supported the bands i've found with incessant--to the point of annoying--hype, going to their live shows and buying their merch. it's so much more accessible now there' just neeeds to be the cultural support to know if you sampled something and you fucking love it, then you have a moral obligation to support it financially if not, you know like some underground metal street teamer but i'm pretty okay with the latter too

the cultural hipster blocka s well as taking music personally needs to be shed as well but that's a separate topic. it's just annoying how people get all offended because you like indie rock, or are not a fan of cold play. seriously i don't FUCKING CARE if you like titus andronicus, japandroids, robyn, swans, deerhunter, kanye, no joy or any of the bands i've liked and still like...just fucking don't care. i'm a goddamn pumpkins fan you think i haven't already heard all your bullshit

Old 02-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #8
yo soy el mejor

i consider it

Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
mxzombie
Braindead

Location: i like traffic lights, but only when they're green.

nope, never. i've been a pirate more than half my life, though i did occasionally buy albums and go to shows. i never do either now

Old 02-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
T&T
Socialphobic

I've probably spent <100$ on music since 2001. I'll keep pirating my music.
I do go to shows - probably twice a month. If it's a band I really want to support I'll buy merch. When Trust come to town next week I'll buy a T-shirt. and I bought a poster at the last godspeed show.

OTOH I've probably spent ~80,000$ on music gear in that time (and thousands of hours), recorded a bunch of records and never made a penny. and I'm OK with that.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #11
bignothing
Demi-God

My only rule is I only pay for music if I can have a physical copy of it, there's no way I'm paying for a download only. That said, I buy a lot of music. With certain prolific musicians whom I love, I can't really afford to buy all their catalogue, but if I own like 8 of their records I don't think they should be upset that I didn't pay for that one EP. In contrast, there's this sense of entitlement with music fans and that pisses me off even about myself. I don't really share in this sentiment that artists should be grateful for being lucky that they ever made a penny out of their life's work. That's really disrespectful to talent. As much as I'd like to think of musicians as magical people that need to create as a way to existence (in this sense we're doing them a favor by listening/validating them), music is not just a hobby. It is still work that deserves more than just praise.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Order 66
Socialphobic

lars ulrich blackmailed me into paying for st. anger five different times

Old 02-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzombie View Post
nope, never. i've been a pirate more than half my life, though i did occasionally buy albums and go to shows. i never do either now
...you don't ever go to shows?

Old 02-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #14
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignothing View Post
My only rule is I only pay for music
This seems arbitrary ugh fucking tablets I mean that it seems arbitrary to refuse to pay for a download.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:23 PM   #15
whywontyoulistn
Ownz

I don't mind not having a physical copy (only so much space after all) as long as I can get it in a lossless format. As only about 3 artists make their music available in said format, I usually buy the shitty mp3s and then download flacs from less salubrious sources. There's no excuse for not supporting your favourite artists, especially if you have the means...although to be honest I have no idea how much money they get from sales; maybe I should just throw money at them when I go to shows.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #16
Rairun
Apocalyptic Poster

Up until 2010 or so, I always tried to buy the albums I really go into. Then I moved to a different country and had to leave most of my collection behind. That was when I realized the extent of my disconnect from physical media - it's just not part of my listening experience anymore. Also, I couldn't afford to buy all the albums I liked anymore, so I just kind of gave up on having a collection altogether.

Now I only ever buy stuff from my very favorite artists (maybe two or three of them). But my new location allows me to spend an ungodly amount of money on concerts, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Old 02-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #17
Shallowed
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by whywontyoulistn View Post
I don't mind not having a physical copy (only so much space after all) as long as I can get it in a lossless format. As only about 3 artists make their music available in said format, I usually buy the shitty mp3s and then download flacs from less salubrious sources. There's no excuse for not supporting your favourite artists, especially if you have the means...although to be honest I have no idea how much money they get from sales; maybe I should just throw money at them when I go to shows.
Try looking for these artists on Bandcamp, they're required to upload in a lossless format.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #18
mxzombie
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eulogy View Post
...you don't ever go to shows?
only occasionally. the last show i went to was almost two years ago. except i did see i_was_aborted's band play at a community fair last year

Old 02-22-2014, 03:09 PM   #19
Catherine Wheel
Banned

The last show I went to was three years ago. I saw Interpol here.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
Eulogy
huh

jesus.

i thought i didn't go to enough shows.

seeing trail of dead and the national soon

Old 02-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
Catherine Wheel
Banned

I'm seeing White Lies tonight. Frankie Rose is opening.

Old 02-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #22
mxzombie
Braindead

i think going to concerts in miami ruined them for me. crowds there were always rude and noisy. they are better here, but now i just don't feel any desire to go to shows very often.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:07 PM   #23
Bread Regal
Banned

I need to be really motivate to for me to get out and pay admission for a show. I try to attend local shows but it's an 1.5 hours of music, 1.5 hours standing around wondering where to put your hands.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:09 PM   #24
redbreegull

I wish I saw more shows. It just becomes kind of a bummer going to every show by myself because none of my friends live around here anymore/want to pay money to see shows. I don't think I have been to a show since the National last summer

Old 02-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #25
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
I need to be really motivate to for me to get out and pay admission for a show. I try to attend local shows but it's an 1.5 hours of music, 1.5 hours standing around wondering where to put your hands.
I'm pretty much done with shows. Unless it's a really unique, special or rare performance I don't go. Crowds suck now with everyone holding up phones the entire time and I'm too old to fuck with GA floors.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #26
redbreegull

that sounds lame, if I ever say something that crotchety anyone has my expressed permission to put me out of my misery with extreme prejudice

Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #27
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bread Regal View Post
I try to attend local shows but it's an 1.5 hours of music, 1.5 hours standing around wondering where to put your hands.
OMG this

Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM   #28
redbreegull

a good show is worth it. going into the city on the train, walking a bunch of blocks to the venue, wanting beer bad enough to buy it even though it costs like 8 fucking dollars... all these things are a pain in the ass, but definitely worth having your face rocked off

Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #29
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I never feel any guilt when pirating anything that's digitized, because it can be copied and pasted infinitely, which means the supply is infinite, which means it breaks the rules of supply and demand.

Infinite supply means I pay nothing. Good day.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:12 AM   #30
D.
Consume my pants.

I don't pay for the music I listen to. It's all digital, all 1's and 0's. Even if the music is only available on Bandcamp/Soundcloud, they have programs to rip the music. I'm not an audiophile so I don't really care too much.

Recently got a record player but the eight LP's I got were all free and they were albums I completely love front to back. Those are fun to throw on and the kid is amused by the novelty. Although, I did buy In the Aeroplane Over the Sea at the NMH show and that shit was $20(!); I was really hankering to have it there to throw on, so that was one of my first purchases of music in years.

As for shows, although I've cut back so far this year (kid's got tuition, general money-saving), I go whenever I can.

As for the original question, no, I don't.