Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #31
slunken
Virgo

YOU'RE SAYING THAT PEOPLE KILL THEMSELVES BECAUSE IT'S CULTURAL AND THAT'S TOTALLY FUCKING BONKERS

Old 09-21-2017, 07:46 PM   #32
slunken
Virgo

PEOPLE ARE KILLING THEMSELVES BECAUSE OF IDIOT WRIGGLING BIO-MASSES LIKE YOU THAT APPARENTLY DON'T UNDERSTAND BASIC HUMAN SYMPTOMS LIKE SADNESS OR EMPATHY

Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 PM   #33
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cork_soaker View Post
i took his "conforming" as a reference to the intense cultural pressures driving people to suicide. failure to achieve, and such.

rather than speaking to the location.
this

The phone booth is also an example of cultural norms in Japan that keep people from having meaningful emotional contact with their loved ones. People grow up emotionally repressed. Parents don't tell their children they love them. Kids are taught not to verbalize their emotions. They're unable to express their feelings even while their loved ones are alive. The phone booth gives them an outlet to express those feelings after a death.

It also makes some sense when you consider Shinto traditions. Especially when it comes to deaths like those of people lost during recent tsunami/earthquakes. The family may not have had the opportunity to go through traditional burial/funerary steps. While modern Japan is not nearly as religious as it was just a couple of generations ago, they do still put a lot of effort and weight in funerals. It's much more formal than most western countries

Last edited by MyOneAndOnly : 09-21-2017 at 07:58 PM.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #34
slunken
Virgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
this

The phone booth is also an example of cultural norms in Japan that keep people from having meaningful emotional contact with their loved ones. People grow up emotionally repressed. They're unable to express their feelings even while their loved ones are alive. The phone booth gives them an outlet to express those feelings after a death
To relegate this to only Japan is incredibly short-sighted.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:50 PM   #35
slunken
Virgo

It's like saying that the Japanese invented suicide.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 PM   #36
slunken
Virgo

I mean, I think I have a handle on what you're saying, but it's a criticism.

There's no need to criticize anything here.