Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2014, 09:09 AM   #181
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
It's not so much beneath me as just makes me feel seriously suicidal.
I agree with this. I worked Fast Food full time for awhile but the job was so shitty it drove me into depression. I had to quit because I felt like I was going to kill myself.

Most every job is shitty, but Fast Food is on a whole other level of shit. These places seriously need to Unionize.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #182
Tootles
Demi-God

Most every job is shitty, but Fast Food is on a whole other level of shit. These places seriously need to Unionize.[/quote]

And here lies the problem.

Old 10-23-2014, 09:33 AM   #183
Elphenor
Braindead

That work is shitty because Capitalism runs on a slave master relationship where everything is run by Corporations that have no incentive to do things that benefit the lives of workers?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #184
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

you're spoiled and lazy.
blah blah blah capitalism blah blah corporations wah wah!
why don't you go live in the forest and eat leaves or something?

Old 10-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #185
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

ooh! depression! wah wah wah!

Old 10-23-2014, 09:49 AM   #186
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

No, work is shitty because it's work. That's what work is. If it was fun, nobody would pay you to do it. You're more than welcome to travel back in time 50-100 years or even just to a less developed part of the world to see some of the shit that people go through to keep the wolves from the door.

I mean god damn man do I have to come to your house and just like sit you down for three hours and explain everything your parents failed to explain to you or what.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:15 AM   #187
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Hopefully technology will replace most work one day, especially the really shitty jobs.

"A machine works, a person should perform." - Timothy Leary.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:16 AM   #188
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Timothy leary, fucking fountain of wisdom he was.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #189
Tootles
Demi-God

[quote=Sonic Johnny;4104530]No, work is shitty because it's work. That's what work is. If it was fun, nobody would pay you to do it. You're more than welcome to travel back in time 50-100 years or even just to a less developed part of the world to see some of the shit that people go through to keep the wolves from the door.

I mean god damn man do I have to come to your house and just like sit you down for three hours and explain everything your parents failed to explain to you or what.[/QUO

Believe it or not there are people who enjoy going to work. Yes it is work. But it can be enjoyable. If you can not find a single job that you might enjoy doing, that says a whole lot more about you than your useless constant rambling and complaining on Netphoria.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:20 AM   #190
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Johnny View Post
Timothy leary, fucking fountain of wisdom he was.
He was a very intelligent guy, but then I think he was slightly broken after years in prison, although he wouldn't admit it. People just think of him as some mad guy who wanted everyone on acid, but he was more than that. He was once lecturing at Harvard, which might not mean that much in itself, but they don't hand those positions to any old Joe.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:23 AM   #191
Tootles
Demi-God

Like I said earlier, I have finally figured out why there are so many angry people posting in Netphoria. It seems most of you hate your jobs, are afraid to work to get ahead, and are stuck in a rut in daily life. You are miserable people in life and you bring it in here.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:25 AM   #192
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elijah Moon View Post
He was once lecturing at Harvard, which might not mean that much in itself, but they don't hand those positions to any old Joe.
http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/1...rd-university/

Old 10-23-2014, 10:33 AM   #193
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah, many people with different life experience lecture at universities, including Oxford. Timothy Leary had a doctorate in psychology and worked at Harvard, until his dismissal. He wrote a book on the interpersonal aspects of personality that was very widely used as a manual.

And then he took a trip and, in his words (paraphrased), "I learnt more about psychology during that trip than I had in twenty years of study." A lot of his theories were a bit "out there" after that, but I think his "eight-circuit model of consciousness" was a great contribution to psychology, a very persuasive model of the mind. I can see why a lot of people don't hold him in great esteem, but he was very far from stupid.

Last edited by Elijah Moon : 10-23-2014 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarity

Old 10-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #194
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootles View Post
Believe it or not there are people who enjoy going to work. Yes it is work. But it can be enjoyable. If you can not find a single job that you might enjoy doing, that says a whole lot more about you than your useless constant rambling and complaining on Netphoria.
Did I say I don't enjoy *my* job? I've done a number of different ones and found the one I find most tolerable/enjoyable while i've sought out my calling in life, and now I think i've worked that out i'm headed to university. Don't try to paint me into your little sisyphusian portrait, I get the work-life balance thing better than 99% of the apes on this planet. I do what i enjoy, I work long days when I do work so that I can have more available time to pursue my creative interests, and unlike a lot of the softcocks of the world, I don't complain about doing it before, during, or after.

I told elph that stuff to try to highlight what a ridiculously self-indulgent middle class first world kid he sounded like complaining that capitalism is the reason he doesn't like working in fast food.

as for what the rambling and complaining says about me - well i'm sure you'd tell me that i'm a bitter old codge or just a prick or something, and I can see how you'd come to that conclusion, but ultimately when I yell at Fuzzy or Elph for being tools it's cause i'm trying to point out to them that they're being tools, partly cause I can and partly cause when I was a little tool like they are now nobody did me the service of pointing out how far up my arse my head was. y'feel?

Also who the fuck are you.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #195
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

is it news to tootles that angry internet people (of which i am) are frustrated in life?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:40 AM   #196
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
are afraid to work to get ahead, and are stuck in a rut in daily life.
Also this bit of rhetoric here stinks of 80s finger-snapping business school grad. What do you do for a job, Tootles? I'm curious.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:43 AM   #197
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by The exploding boy View Post
is it news to tootles that angry internet people (of which i am) are frustrated in life?
This thread has actually just given me pause to consider that I do probably come off as pretty angry here, which is surprising to me in a way cause I feel like i'm very even/content/proactive in my daily life - I definitely wouldn't use the word frustrated anymore at least. I think it's mostly that 98% of the posters I liked are gone and all the newbies who have replaced them are insufferable so there's nothing to do but piss and moan. Also i'm way too polite to just yell at some kid in real life so this is a nice opportunity to get creative with my swears.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #198
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

It will usher in a new paradigm and eventually "unemployment rate" will be obsolete.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #199
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Like I said earlier, I have finally figured out why there are so many angry people posting in Netphoria. It seems most of you hate your jobs, are afraid to work to get ahead, and are stuck in a rut in daily life. You are miserable people in life and you bring it in here.
Why do you come here? Is it altruistic? Are you here to pull us out of our "rut"?

Old 10-23-2014, 10:57 AM   #200
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
No, work is shitty because it's work. That's what work is. If it was fun, nobody would pay you to do it. You're more than welcome to travel back in time 50-100 years or even just to a less developed part of the world to see some of the shit that people go through to keep the wolves from the door.

I mean god damn man do I have to come to your house and just like sit you down for three hours and explain everything your parents failed to explain to you or what.
If 100 years ago people had the attitude of "Work sucks just because it's work" working would still be like it was in 1920.

Lucky for us there were people who said "Wait, this is bullshit"

Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #201
Elphenor
Braindead

I understand that life is unfair and insufferably shitty and "suck it up" or whatever and I work a job I hate and I'm about to get another one and I do my work just like everyone else, but we at least get to point out that it's bullshit

Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 AM   #202
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Yeah so they unionised and protested legislated all the worst industries to get it to the point where it wasn't a regular occurrence for people to die or get sick at work and you got paid an amount of money you could live on without working yourself to total exhaustion. A lot of people worked their whole lives to acquire that for you, and you reply:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
I had to quit because I felt like I was going to kill myself.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #203
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

It should be said that if some kids feel some work is beneath them it is because of how their parents (usually middle class) and modern culture in general raised them to believe life should be fun and fulfilling and all that. I mean as much as i don't care for fight club that Brad Pitt speech pretty much says it all.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #204
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I'm not saying it's ridiculous for you to want and achieve a better working life for yourself, but if you're going to say that the reason you're miserable in a fast food job is because people haven't significantly campaigned in the field of civil rights long enough or hard enough, that is phenomenally privileged and short-sighted.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #205
Elphenor
Braindead

Quote:
Yeah so they unionised and protested legislated all the worst industries to get it to the point where it wasn't a regular occurrence for people to die or get sick at work and you got paid an amount of money you could live on without working yourself to total exhaustion. A lot of people worked their whole lives to acquire that for you, and you reply:
They literally stopped working because it was bullshit. People told them "what are you complaining about 100 years ago things were way worse" and they said "Yeah but this is still bullshit"

This is how social progress works.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #206
Elphenor
Braindead

I don't believe it's beneath me, I'm just saying I'd probably elect to kill myself if it was my only option

Old 10-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #207
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
This sounds like some revolutionary shit. What sort of new paradigm will be ushered in by machines doing all the work for humans? Other than a Terminator/Matrix-style apocalypse?
Are you against technology making life easier for people?

Old 10-23-2014, 11:11 AM   #208
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
They literally stopped working because it was bullshit. People told them "what are you complaining about 100 years ago things were way worse" and they said "Yeah but this is still bullshit"

This is how social progress works.
YES AT THE TIME THEY DID BECAUSE EVERYONE WAS GETTING BLACK LUNG AND MINIMUM WAGE WAS 2 CENTS A WEEK. Nobody went on strike because they found their job packing fast food into bags dehumanising or unfulfilling, they went on strike because there was like, 15 goddamn workplace fatalities a day and shit.

god damn man are you seriously comparing these two situations.

also:

Quote:
I don't believe it's beneath me, I'm just saying I'd probably elect to kill myself if it was my only option
"it's not beneath me but i would literally rather die than do it" fuck off

Old 10-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #209
Elijah Moon
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poots View Post
1900 - "I lost me eye in the meat grinder. Me broder lost both arms in the sawmill."

2014 - "Flipping these burgers, it's like, it makes me wanna, like, kill myself."
To be fair, though, pointing out that others have had it worse, or have it worse, doesn't really help when people feel like shit. We should all wake up saying, "Thank god I have clean water to drink" or "Thank god my living standards are better than they would've been a hundred years back", but we generally don't, as far as I can see - I just don't think we're wired that way.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:14 AM   #210
Elphenor
Braindead

That's seriously such a weak attitude.

Almost any lifestyle whatsoever in the States today is privileged compared to life in poor parts of Africa.
It doesn't mean we just entirely stop trying to make things better because "Well it could be worse"