jczeroman

NO COMPRESSION ON THE FING DRUMS

Old 02-27-2008, 02:22 AM   #212
jjbjjbjjb
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'maskingforit! View Post
corganist.
That was like 10 posts earlier...I think someone needs to show you the quote button. *waits expectantly*

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 AM   #213
jczeroman

But other than that, the music is decent. Actually, the very end of the songs is well done. I think the effect of the violins wasn't as great as I was hoping, but maybe time will fix that.

I actually like the video in general, especially after seeing the whole thing - it makes much more sense. I think the strobe effect towards the back end was the only dumb thing.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:26 AM   #214
jczeroman

Ugg.. the drums get worse the second time through. It's that goram snare drum - so bassy and just... ugh...

Old 02-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #215
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgo View Post
trust me, the only thing i take monte for is a douche.
seriously.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 AM   #216
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

The BEST part of this song is definitely Jimmy.

His drumming is still fucking amazing.

The song itself reminds me of Silverfuck but a lot less awesome.

Still a good song, but again muddied up by Billy's vocals (even though there are not a lot).

I was really excited when I heard that the song was going to have violins but that whole slow violin section seems so awkward and randomly out of place in this song.

Overall I give it a 6 out of 10.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:40 AM   #217
MonteLDS
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post

The song itself reminds me of Silverfuck but a lot less awesome.

Still a good song, but again muddied up by Billy's vocals (even though there are not a lot).

I was really excited when I heard that the song was going to have violins but that whole slow violin section seems so awkward and randomly out of place in this song.

Overall I give it a 6 out of 10.
weren't we all calling Superchrist the new Silvercrank when it came out?

yes jimmy is still amazing.

but i don't understand why he goes along with all this crap?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 AM   #218
MisterSquishyHalo
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post

Most of us were excited when the full tarantula video came out, instead of the 30 second clip that made everyone slit their wrists.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:43 AM   #219
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
what other longer song are you thinking of?
gossamer
united states

and so far the workings of that new song seemed to lack them too.

and all the jamming off hmm

Last edited by BlissedandGone2 : 02-27-2008 at 03:31 AM.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 AM   #220
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteLDS View Post

yes jimmy is still amazing.

but i don't understand why he goes along with all this crap?
because jimmy plays drums and so long as he's playing drums and everyone can see him doing that, he'll play along with corgan.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:45 AM   #221
I'maskingforit!
Ownz

all what crap monte? aren't you spending hundreds of dollars flying people from this board to california to make a music video to a zeitgeist song? or are you not as much as a crossed eyed fucking retard as i thought?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:46 AM   #222
redchandelier
Ownz

Quote:

love the music, Jimmy is amazing of course, but billy's vocals, well let's just say, I'm not a big fan of his "new and improved" vocals, but whatever..... i liked the video

Old 02-27-2008, 02:47 AM   #223
I'maskingforit!
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissedandGone2 View Post
gossamer
really?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:51 AM   #224
Elvis The Fat Years
007 373 5963

not a bad tune, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davin View Post
srsly, who gives a fuck if the music is good.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:53 AM   #225
Imaskingforit!
Pledge

flyfire

Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 AM   #226
smashingpumpkin
Apocalyptic Poster

i like the video man its pure trip out shit yes oh yes oh yes. bring on the nurses.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:04 AM   #227
Banana
Banned

Video kinda sucked. I think I like the AOL Live sessions song better than the studio. Violin gap was odd.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:07 AM   #228
Corganisphere
Amish Rake Fighter

do they even care anymore?

Old 02-27-2008, 03:10 AM   #229
Imaskingforit!
Pledge

no, thanks for stopping by.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #230
flyfire
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

so agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaskingforit! View Post
flyfire
hey G

Old 02-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #231
M.Night
Ownz

great song, odd video ...
bring on the superchrist

Old 02-27-2008, 03:15 AM   #232
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

this thread turned into quite the little clusterfuck

Old 02-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #233
stumpycat
Apocalyptic Poster

Well hallelujah.
Although this is by no means perfect, this would certainly be the Pumpkins taking a step in the right direction. Maybe hanging with The Seeds did influence some of Billy's musical ethos in a positive way. (Has he been hitting the acid again? Heh.)

THE VIDEO. It's enjoyable because it doesn't have that same glossy, overproduced (or, conversely, self-consciously ironic but probably still expensive) look that's the gold standard for all the videos these days. Enough with that faux cinematic looking shit. It has a genuinely old-school feel to it that I find massively appealing--if not of the Pumpkins, then any late 80's or early 90's Jane's Addiction video. And, no one looks pretentious. This is how things should be.
My only problem with the video is that it is slightly repetitive, and should have given the impression of some of these other characters being engaged in some kind of "meaningful" interactions with the other people and/or environment around them. (Even if that purpose is largely nonsensical or stupid.)

THE SONG ITSELF. Yes, it does have drumming, riffing, and overall structure similar to a heavily truncated version of Silverfuck...but perhaps crossed with STP as well (the jam and riff heavy song played often at SP concerts around 1990.) And holy hell, the production sounds fairly basic and natural. That's a fucking miracle that would bear repeating itself in the future.
On the negative side, however, if you are going to have a basic jam/riff song like this, you really do need to create some musical development somewhere...either with vocals, or--if you want to keep it mainly instrumental--with overlays of melody, or a variegated lead, or...something. Shoehorning in a short, awkwardly random violin section (where the fuck did the organ go?!?!) does not really cut it.

Last edited by stumpycat : 02-27-2008 at 03:22 AM.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:19 AM   #234
sweetanthony
Ownz

I'm not reading the 8 pages of dribble from (most all of you are) clowns....

this is the WORST PIECE OF SHIT the Smashing Pumpkins have EVER released. The song is the most boring ever (yes, worse the AG and yeah, yet we all know Jimmy's drumming is awesome) and the video is ever more rotten.

I feel like Billy and Jimmy don't care what they put out. If he had any type of ambition or desire to be great again, Billy wouldn't have released this. Its pathetic all around.

Fucking embarrasing.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:25 AM   #235
JRiordan
Apocalyptic Poster

Let us not forget the Billboard article about this release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billboard article
A previously unreleased Smashing Pumpkins song, "SuperChrist," will be released on a CD featuring bands staffed by employees of Guitar Center, Billboard.com can reveal.

The album will be available in a limited quantity beginning March 1 at Guitar Center outlets. The members of the Pumpkins chose the acts appearing on the compilation based on submissions from Guitar Center.

"Guitar Center asked us if we would be interested in contributing a song to this compilation of young artists to help draw attention to the bands," Pumpkins frontman Billy Corgan says in a statement released to Billboard.com. "We loved the idea, and think Guitar Center is way ahead of the curve of what is possible between musicians and reaching new audiences."

"SuperChrist," which didn't make the cut for the Pumpkins' 2007 album "Zeitgeist" but has been performed live on the supporting tour, will be the subject of a new video, premiering Feb. 27 on MySpace.

"We didn't feel we understood the song and thought playing it on tour would help us sort it out," Corgan says of the song, which was recorded at Sunset Sound in Hollywood, Calif., with co-producer Kerry Brown. "He seems to bring out the psychedelic in us."

In addition, the Pumpkins are planning a new round of North American tour dates, with details to be announced.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #236
THEFUTUREMBRACE
Pledge

lol at sweetanthony saying he's not reading the 8 pages of the thread and repeating things already said in the previous 8 pages.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:26 AM   #237
BlissedandGone2
Minion of Satan

Location: You don't play guitar hero if you are a guitar hero.

Quote:
really?

i mean there are obviously chord changes in the song, no doubt, but consider how much of the experimentation and the gaps revolve around the one chord that the bass is chugging along. The drum soloing, the guitar noises/soloing, the organ. there just isnt any really great evidence of thorough, creative composition in that song besides the man riff.

its pretty clear to me that the band sounds the most intact and musically solid when they first come in with that riff, when they bridge out of it and and slowly build back into that riff and at the end when the break the riff up a bit with jimmy's snare rolls. its just the same thing over and over again. if they spent that much time developing 4 drastically different parts to their song it could have ended up being an awesome guitar epic. (this is about gossamer still)

and really, i have a similar reaction to super christ. If they spent more time developing a more coherent bridge, even though the violin part sounds nice on its own, and had done more with there progressions and chords instead of doing what theyve been doing with every jam lately, they could have had a masterpiece. whatever.

Old 02-27-2008, 03:35 AM   #238
Sarcastic Smile
Amish Rake Fighter

Location: I fuck in my spare time, this is what I do at work you dumb bitch.-esty

maybe they focus him at the beginning so much because he actually looks like christ.. whoa, revelation

Seriously though, this song is proof they are a little better without Roy Thomas Baker... good riddance

Old 02-27-2008, 03:38 AM   #239
tcm
Braindead

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by duovamp View Post
They can't ever make another long groovin' jam without it being Silverfuck? Well silverfuck you guys.
silverfuck is window paine 2

Old 02-27-2008, 03:40 AM   #240
Rickpat12
Apocalyptic Poster

I must say the video is kickass. I think live this song has a bit more heart, but this studio version is badass. Jimmy's drumming is PHENOMINAL. The violin part totally puts a great spin on the song and I'd be satisfied if they use that "weird" almost out of place layering on the new album. The outro is CRAZY. Overall not bad at all!