Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #1591
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 07-12-2018, 08:41 AM   #1592
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeilandFan View Post
I doubt Billy's lawyers went after D'arcy. The last time I talked to her in May she seemed to be in a good mood and wasn't even talking about the Pumpkins. This was about a month after she regularly stopped posting comments on Alternative Nation. I think she said her piece/vented and has just moved on. She's a very private person.

Billy attacking D'arcy, or even worse having lawyers threaten her, would totally destroy any positive publicity for the tour. Imagine those headlines. It'd shine an even bigger light on her not being there, and make Billy look like a total asshole and play into all of the worst media narratives about him. I do think the picture was probably retaliation, but it wasn't circulated too much fortunately due to the complete lack of context.

What is interesting is how Billy seemed to generally speak more positively about her on Stern last month, outside of the slander quote, compared to the Lars Ulrich and New York Times interviews that were conducted back in February where he said she'd 'burned the bridge forever.' He actually said she was eccentric in a good way on Stern, and even that 'maybe someday' she'd be back, but that he thought that ship had probably sailed.
Like so many things, I am sure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. By all accounts he did not take enough initiative in reaching out and getting all four of them in the same room together prior to signing on for a tour. That being said, he did seem to genuinely enjoy being back in communication with her, and I'm sure after the initial shock of her going public wore off, he calmed down a touch.

Additionally, I'm sure Buttcannon is right. Corgan now knows that D'arcy feels no hesitancy in going public with her gripes. If Corgan sent lawyers after her now, she would tell us, and it would only hurt Billy more. Corgan has taken the best strategy in just publicly letting it go.

Buttcannon, have you heard anything in particular to make you think Corgan had a part in leaking the D'arcy photo, or is that just your gut feeling?

Old 07-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #1593
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
I have a remix labelled "Perfect (Puff Remix)" that may or may not be a total sham—it starts off with bagpipes (which reappear during the chorus) and then leads into a pretty generic beat

The file is all fucked up, like it skips a bit, so it probably came from, like, Limewire?

I know absolutely nothing about trading so this must have been very widely available at some point—no clue if people ever decided it was real
it's real. it was widely available.
it comes from a cd-r, and it's a lossy source.
http://spfreaks.com/item/perfect-puff-daddy-remix/

Old 07-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #1594
Cool As Ice Cream

lossless source is not widely available (2 perfect remixes, 4 ava adore remixes): http://spfreaks.com/item/remixes/

Old 07-12-2018, 10:33 AM   #1595
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
do we know if in fact billy did throw some lawyers at D'arcy?
Not at all, but that seems to be his MO for damage control. It went from her really going wild to absolute silence. All these people with supposed beefs or simply past band mates are oddly quiet about their experience (probably an NDA) and when asked tend to obfuscate or dodge the questions. I think it was on Howard when Billy mentioned her words being slanderous and sort of insinuated that it's been taken care of.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #1596
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
Seriously
I'm sorry my comment interrupted your edging sesh.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:44 AM   #1597
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
*cough* Leaked photo of D’arcy on IG *cough*
Oh yeah. That. I just don't see the benefit of that. A) it would destroy him B) being abused and injured isn't a reason you cut someone out of a band.

Last edited by KissesandNoise : 07-12-2018 at 11:02 AM.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #1598
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
I doubt Billy's lawyers went after D'arcy. The last time I talked to her in May she seemed to be in a good mood and wasn't even talking about the Pumpkins. This was about a month after she regularly stopped posting comments on Alternative Nation. I think she said her piece/vented and has just moved on. She's a very private person.

Billy attacking D'arcy, or even worse having lawyers threaten her, would totally destroy any positive publicity for the tour. Imagine those headlines. It'd shine an even bigger light on her not being there, and make Billy look like a total asshole and play into all of the worst media narratives about him. I do think the picture was probably retaliation, but it wasn't circulated too much fortunately due to the complete lack of context.
Exactly. When you're threatened legally and don't have the funds to fight back you shut up and you shut up fast. That's the point of the the legal intervention. She can't say anything and if she did she would end up in court. That's why it wouldn't come out that she was threatened. The same point of looking like an asshole applies to my theory on the bloody picture of her. I would wager he had nothing to do with it. That doesn't mean a sycophant from the SP camp didn't do it. He didn't say anything to fatcow because he doesn't want any attention drawn to it. But you're WAY CLOSER to the situation so I would defer to your insight.

Quote:
What is interesting is how Billy seemed to generally speak more positively about her on Stern last month, outside of the slander quote, compared to the Lars Ulrich and New York Times interviews that were conducted back in February where he said she'd 'burned the bridge forever.' He actually said she was eccentric in a good way on Stern, and even that 'maybe someday' she'd be back, but that he thought that ship had probably sailed.
Yeah. I even thought the Lars interview was somewhat kind to her. Do you think there is any possibility that this was a stunt that she wasn't ready and this was used to drum up media fire? This would give her time to get back in shape for an even bigger reunion announcement in 2 years. It was far too ugly and negative to be premeditated but I wonder.

Last edited by KissesandNoise : 07-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #1599
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
She was not complaining about working more than six hours. She just pointed out the same thing Billy did in the Confessions; that the album that became Adore was originally supposed to be a more off the cuff record, written and recorded in a more relaxed environment. Instead, it ended up being the same laborious process all the other Pumpkins albums were.
That could be true. I just saw a few things in interviews and behind the scenes that made it seem she was not a fan of his work ethic. It seemed the same way with some of the Zwan guys. You're right that it went from off the cuff to business as usual, but her tone and mannerisms pointed to "here we go again with the 'work' thing."

Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #1600
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Stay outta this Clay

Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #1601
KissesandNoise
Banned

Hey! I have a right to comment on - uh, err, who is this Clay person you speak of?

Old 07-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #1602
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

All this talk of lawyers and public beef makes me wonder about the whole Zwan thing. From what I understand, the other members signed NDAs. Is that sort of thing typical when a band breaks up? If so, I've never heard of it. Also, Billy has said some really awful things about the other members publicly, so if he signed an NDA, hasn't he violated it? Thus it would seem like the other members could talk about it if they want to. I know Pajo has said some things. But I guess all in all I just wonder what specifically all the secrecy is about.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #1603
KissesandNoise
Banned

I think Billy has the business end sewn up. It's not a band thing. To join his band you're signing the NDA to preserve his brand and business. He does what he wants.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:21 AM   #1604
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissesandNoise View Post
I think Billy has the business end sewn up. It's not a band thing. To join his band you're signing the NDA to preserve his brand and business. He does what he wants.
Huh. Yeah, you're probably right about this.

That's probably also why his music has suffered substantially over the past 16 years or so. He's too focused on the business aspect and has forgotten what it was like to actually be passionate about songwriting.

Then again, maybe not. I can't, for the life of me, fathom how anyone with a good business sense would think that whole Teargarden thing was a good idea.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #1605
KissesandNoise
Banned

I think someone taught him early on that he's rich now and he has a mega business that will be his livelihood so it's time to lawyer up and this is how you use the lawyers to preserve what you have. The lawyers should have stepped in during the TG period.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #1606
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

From a 2017 interview with Matt Sweeney

Quote:
He was in Zwan with Billy Corgan

“We had a friendship from before he was famous. One on one, we had a pretty great thing going. We had a great year were we made like a hundred songs. Nobody’s ever heard that stuff. But once it went public, everything was different. I was confused, it started to feel like fulfilling a commitment where the game had changed. It was interesting, I’m still sort of unpacking that experience. We all had to sign confidentiality agreements, so I can’t really talk about it”
http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...y-pop-to-adele

For years, I thought the NDA thing was speculation, but he confirms it here. I'm sure all the members of Smashing Pumpkins from 2007 onward have signed them as well.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:34 AM   #1607
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
I think someone taught him early on that he's rich now and he has a mega business that will be his livelihood so it's time to lawyer up and this is how you use the lawyers to preserve what you have. The lawyers should have stepped in during the TG period.
For real. I think the problem here is that Billy is one of those people that wants to be this icon and his brand to have this popular brand, but his ego is such that he surrounds himself with anyone who will shower him with praise. Hence the reason he shows up on Alex Jones. Anyone with a good business sense wouldn't set foot near an asshole who claims school shootings were staged, but not Billy, because Alex kisses his ass. Pajo was spot-on when he compared him to Trump.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:35 AM   #1608
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Quote:
Exactly. When you're threatened legally and don't have the funds to fight back you shut up and you shut up fast. That's the point of the the legal intervention. She can't say anything and if she did she would end up in court. That's why it wouldn't come out that she was threatened. The same point of looking like an asshole applies to my theory on the bloody picture of her. I would wager he had nothing to do with it. That doesn't mean a sycophant from the SP camp didn't do it. He didn't say anything to fatcow because he doesn't want any attention drawn to it. But you're WAY CLOSER to the situation so I would defer to your insight.

Yeah. I even thought the Lars interview was somewhat kind to her. Do you think there is any possibility that this was a stunt that she wasn't ready and this was used to drum up media fire? This would give her time to get back in shape for an even bigger reunion announcement in 2 years. It was far too ugly and negative to be premeditated but I wonder.
You're funny!
D'arcy had talked for four months. None of her messages were put down. She could simply want to put her energy in other things now.
Why did Corgan visit Mancow Muller just two days after Muller's photo contest? Surely because he had NOTHING to do with the posting of the photo. He not only didn't say he disliked his behaviour but played the whining victim again.

Corgan only went from their bridge had burnt to a ship that had sailed -after she told that there had never been a bridge. He won't forgive her having lost money at the ticket sales.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:37 AM   #1609
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
From a 2017 interview with Matt Sweeney

http://www.radionz.co.nz/national/pr...y-pop-to-adele

For years, I thought the NDA thing was speculation, but he confirms it here. I'm sure all the members of Smashing Pumpkins from 2007 onward have signed them as well.
Yeah, I read that interview too. And I'm sure you're right about the Pumpkins members signing them post 2007.

I wonder if this is part of the reason why we rarely see him collaborate with other prominent artists. I can just imagine if Billy and Trent Reznor or Maynard James Keenan tried to collaborate and he tried to get them to sign an NDA. They'd be like, "Go fuck yourself." I wonder if that's why the Marilyn Manson collaboration in the 1990s never happened. I wish it had though; could have been interesting.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:52 AM   #1610
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Would be interesting if even the original members are forced now to sign a NDA joining again the band/brand.

Old 07-12-2018, 11:59 AM   #1611
incubator
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes I bet that's why talented, popular artists and producers don't work with Billy Corgan

Old 07-12-2018, 12:06 PM   #1612
MplsTaper
Apocalyptic Poster

I've been told Clay Tuckett started listening to The Smashing Pumpkins in 2007.

pos·er
noun
a person who acts in an affected manner in order to impress others.
synonyms: exhibitionist, poseur, posturer, fake; informalshow-off

Old 07-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #1613
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
You're funny!
He won't forgive her having lost money at the ticket sales.
Good point

Old 07-12-2018, 12:28 PM   #1614
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 Hour View Post
Yeah, I read that interview too. And I'm sure you're right about the Pumpkins members signing them post 2007.

I wonder if this is part of the reason why we rarely see him collaborate with other prominent artists. I can just imagine if Billy and Trent Reznor or Maynard James Keenan tried to collaborate and he tried to get them to sign an NDA. They'd be like, "Go fuck yourself." I wonder if that's why the Marilyn Manson collaboration in the 1990s never happened. I wish it had though; could have been interesting.
I don't know. I don't think it's that crazy. If you're in the band or in the SP camp you have some legal requirements. I'm sure Maynard and Trent work the same way. When it comes to collabs and one-offs it probably depends on the situation

Old 07-12-2018, 02:17 PM   #1615
myosis
Minion of Satan

jimmy and james would have the power to say I'm not signing any NDA. what would billy do? "OK then, you're off the reunion!" but james probably did anyway cause he's non confrontational.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #1616
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothahi4L View Post
Who would hire someone who hasnt played her instrument for 19 years regularly? Who would want to go on tour with someone who has an alcohol, pill or psychological prob??
Would you take that risk?

Billy is a psycho but he is the boss. Darcy is a insecure posssible drug addicted cow girl who feels let down.

I am glad that she isnt there cause i dont wanna see a musical disaster
wait, you're describing billy here

Old 07-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #1617
KissesandNoise
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
jimmy and james would have the power to say I'm not signing any NDA. what would billy do? "OK then, you're off the reunion!" but james probably did anyway cause he's non confrontational.
Yeah, that's interesting. is it Smashing Corgan, LLC and anyone involves has to jump through hoops or do James and Jimmy get to skip out on all that save the financial documents? The others are held to contracts and NDAs

Old 07-12-2018, 06:28 PM   #1618
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Did James only refuse in 2007 for the money he got offered? Are there any documents about it?

Old 07-12-2018, 08:45 PM   #1619
Vossamer
Oblivious Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Did James only refuse in 2007 for the money he got offered? Are there any documents about it?
Did Billy even want him back?

James on the 2007 on reunion: “No, I’m not part of the current Smashing Pumpkins album or tour, I haven’t spoken to Billy in years. I’m writing for a solo record, which I’m going to record this year, and working on my indie label Scratchie Records,”

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...reunion-84442/

Old 07-13-2018, 12:49 AM   #1620
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

James got an offer, which he might have easy could deny. Not directly by Corgan, who may be too shy for such things. And not by a newspaper advertisement.

Wasn't it strange that brand owner Billy Corgan was whining officially he wanted his music back which he has complete control of?