Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2017, 10:49 PM   #31
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
she posted that on FB. i have a hard time even looking at him. it unnerves me
I think they did a movie together. I can never see him as anything other than a rapist murderer. best/worst villain on the show

Old 01-31-2017, 10:50 PM   #32
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

i think if i ever met him i'd punch him in the face. like if i met pootsy

Old 01-31-2017, 10:51 PM   #33
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

here's one for pootsy

https://media.giphy.com/media/mVH0rZ...ized-large.gif

Old 01-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #34
redbreegull

save image as

Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 PM   #35
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

the things kids do with photoshop these days

Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 PM   #36
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

https://a3-images.myspacecdn.com/ima...ea/300x300.jpg

Old 01-31-2017, 11:04 PM   #37
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i'm just sayin, it's hard to argue with a dude who has a mustache like that

http://images.onionstatic.com/clickh...iginal/640.jpg

Old 01-31-2017, 11:05 PM   #38
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i'm pretty positive i'll kill myself before i'm 50

Old 01-31-2017, 11:08 PM   #39
redbreegull

didn't nietzche think compassion for the suffering is the result of weakness and "slave morality" tho

Old 01-31-2017, 11:13 PM   #40
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i'm pretty positive i'll kill myself before i'm 50
we all feel like that. and most people are wrong about it.

most people kill themselves after they're 50 because being old is horrible.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #41
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
we all feel like that.
do we though?

Old 01-31-2017, 11:31 PM   #42
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
also, this is great, i feel horrible for laughing

Old 02-01-2017, 06:17 AM   #43
LaBelle
Socialphobic

I hope I die before I hit 50.

I'll take an accident tho, not gonna bother killing myself.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:20 AM   #44
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Tho if I make it to 50 i'll probably remove myself from society and become a crazy cat lady...
that could be alright.

Old 02-01-2017, 11:18 AM   #45
redbreegull

I used to think I wouldn't live past 27.

well I still have 13 days left to prove myself right

Old 02-01-2017, 11:29 AM   #46
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
didn't nietzche think compassion for the suffering is the result of weakness and "slave morality" tho
And then in Turin he saw a suffering horse... we all know how that turned out.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:31 PM   #47
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I hope becoming a cyborg allows me to live to be a few thousand years old.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:27 PM   #48
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
I'm trying really hard to remember everyone from the obord
Frosty the Fruitcake.
JSapp, the friendly father who was really amused by a product called "Liquid Ass."
Blanket_Skies, the American expatriate pursuing film in New Zealand.
DudeHitsCar, the common-sense centrist guy.
DeathRockBoi/RyanKondracki, the guy who looks like this.
PumpkinsPenchant/Jes, the kinda slow one.
SaintRenee, the really slow one.
Scorpiopulse, the musician mod with the kinda blue sense of humour.
AztecLitanyService, pretty much the main character of a '90s slacker comedy, but with more realistically portrayed crushing self-esteem issues. Also, a very prolific musician with a bunch of silly songs.
I always get claire.de.lune and calla_lily mixed up, because they both begin with the letter C. Which one was the Latina?
Mercy, the cool Québécoise.
Moonpie, the absolute moonpie.
MonkeySnot, essentially Belty if he suffered damage to his amygdala.
Luna's_Rocket, the sweet and bookish Australian girl.
Pastup, that guy who was pretty nice, but always seemed to take up being devil's advocate, which would be totally okay for the sake of discussion if he didn't maintain his claims in the face of refutation.
Black_Milk, can't remember anything specific about him, just that he was cool.
Andy, there were two of them. One was the kinda funny-looking but pretty cool ginger. Can't remember much about the other.
Other Ryan- he wasn't the other Ryan, he was the other Ryan. I remember he liked sports and was one of the few people Frosty was willing to talk to.

Quote:
Are you seriously from the oboard? Oh my god
Yup. I was the_farewell_party.

Quote:
What's all the dark matter about
Pretty much, galaxies rotate too fast to just be made out of the matter we can observe in them, so scientists think there must be more matter that we can't yet detect, because it doesn't interact with the electromagnetic field and thus can't send us electromagnetic radiation. A whole bunch of other evidence suggests the existence of dark matter, like gravitational lensing. The discrepancies could just mean that our relativistic theories are wrong or don't extend to that scope, but seeing as the theory has worked so well for pretty much everything else, most scientists bet on there being a type of matter different from the "baryonic" matter we know that must be the stuff warping space-time and giving these galaxies a higher gravitational pull.

Dark matter actually comprises most matter in the universe, about 85% of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
when you really give it the slightest bit of thought and not just operate on autopilot, there are so many different reasons why nothing matters. theories like this, or contemplating our millisecond blip of an existence in what is the infinity of time and space, or thinking how in millions of years the universe will be cold and lifeless, etc

it's all very liberating
I'm not really seeing how certain facts about the universe, like the duration of our lifespan compared to that of the universe, or that scientists can describe large regions of space with two-dimensional mathematics, really has much bearing on whether things "matter." Something's status as "mattering" isn't an ontological claim about the universe. There are no facts external to conscious minds that determine if something "matters" or not. There's no such thing as objective "mattering."

Something "mattering" is a subjective claim about one's feelings toward something. To say "something matters" is to say that it is relevant in the mind of some person or group of people. It's the same sort of statement as "this tastes good." Saying something "tastes good" isn't really a claim about the external world beyond the way it interacts with the taster. It may be an epistemically objective truth that "Food F tastes good to subject S," but subject S saying that "Food F tastes good" is an epistemically subjective claim. There is no "tastes good" or "does not taste good" without a taster.

I dunno, I just don't see the logical link from "the universe is just so big and long and shit" to "therefore, I might as well not care about anything." Why? Should people's subjective values be based on how immense or enduring something is? Like, should we say "black holes matter more than us because black holes are bigger than us?" Matter more to whom? Sure, they have more matter, what does that have to do with whether they matter more?

Should we decide that globular clusters, galactic filaments, and interstellar voids are "more important" than us, and that we should thus make them a priority and act for their sakes? They don't have sakes. They are not that kind of thing.

Sure, somebody could decide that she really likes galactic filaments and that they matter more than people. Okay, but that's still a subjective statement about a person's preferences, not some statement about the way the world is, as if there is some ontologically-objective sense of "importance."

Last edited by Disco King : 02-01-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:37 PM   #49
yo soy el mejor

i can't die at 50. i predict my 40s will be pretty good and i want some time to enjoy it. but if i die, i'll understand and say, "that's life."

Old 02-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #50
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
I hope I die before I hit 50.

I'll take an accident tho, not gonna bother killing myself.
What exactly is wrong with being old? My mom is in her 60s and still active and working and enjoying technology and her dog and watching her kids grow up

Old 02-01-2017, 03:38 PM   #51
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

It's not even that far away

Old 02-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #52
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Frosty the Fruitcake.
JSapp, the friendly father who was really amused by a product called "Liquid Ass."
Blanket_Skies, the American expatriate pursuing film in New Zealand.
DudeHitsCar, the common-sense centrist guy.
DeathRockBoi/RyanKondracki, the guy who looks like this.
PumpkinsPenchant/Jes, the kinda slow one.
SaintRenee, the really slow one.
Scorpiopulse, the musician mod with the kinda blue sense of humour.
AztecLitanyService, pretty much the main character of a '90s slacker comedy, but with more realistically portrayed crushing self-esteem issues. Also, a very prolific musician with a bunch of silly songs.
I always get claire.de.lune and calla_lily mixed up, because they both begin with the letter C. Which one was the Latina?
Mercy, the cool Québécoise.
Moonpie, the absolute moonpie.
MonkeySnot, essentially Belty if he suffered damage to his amygdala.
Luna's_Rocket, the sweet and bookish Australian girl.
Pastup, that guy who was pretty nice, but always seemed to take up being devil's advocate, which would be totally okay for the sake of discussion if he didn't maintain his claims in the face of refutation.
Black_Milk, can't remember anything specific about him, just that he was cool.
Andy, there were two of them. One was the kinda funny-looking but pretty cool ginger. Can't remember much about the other.
Other Ryan- he wasn't the other Ryan, he was the other Ryan. I remember he liked sports and was one of the few people Frosty was willing to talk to.

Yup. I was the_farewell_party.

Pretty much, galaxies rotate too fast to just be made out of the matter we can observe in them, so scientists think there must be more matter that we can't yet detect, because it doesn't interact with the electromagnetic field and thus can't send us electromagnetic radiation. A whole bunch of other evidence suggests the existence of dark matter, like gravitational lensing. The discrepancies could just mean that our relativistic theories are wrong or don't extend to that scope, but seeing as the theory has worked so well for pretty much everything else, most scientists bet on there being a type of matter different from the "baryonic" matter we know that must be the stuff warping space-time and giving these galaxies a higher gravitational pull.

Dark matter actually comprises most matter in the universe, about 85% of it.

I'm not really seeing how certain facts about the universe, like the duration of our lifespan compared to that of the universe, or that scientists can describe large regions of space with two-dimensional mathematics, really has much bearing on whether things "matter." Something's status as "mattering" isn't an ontological claim about the universe. There are no facts external to conscious minds that determine if something "matters" or not. There's no such thing as objective "mattering."

Something "mattering" is a subjective claim about one's feelings toward something. To say "something matters" is to say that it is relevant in the mind of some person or group of people. It's the same sort of statement as "this tastes good." Saying something "tastes good" isn't really a claim about the external world beyond the way it interacts with the taster. It may be an epistemically objective truth that "Food F tastes good to subject S," but subject S saying that "Food F tastes good" is an epistemically subjective claim. There is no "tastes good" or "does not taste good" without a taster.

I dunno, I just don't see the logical link from "the universe is just so big and long and shit" to "therefore, I might as well not care about anything." Why? Should people's subjective values be based on how immense or enduring something is? Like, should we say "black holes matter more than us because black holes are bigger than us?" Matter more to whom? Sure, they have more matter, what does that have to do with whether they matter more?

Should we decide that globular clusters, galactic filaments, and interstellar voids are "more important" than us, and that we should thus make them a priority and act for their sakes? They don't have sakes. They are not that kind of thing.

Sure, somebody could decide that she really likes galactic filaments and that they matter more than people. Okay, but that's still a subjective statement about a person's preferences, not some statement about the way the world is, as if there is some ontologically-objective sense of "importance."
Thank you for the refresher on the oboarders. Glad you made it over. Do you know if anyone else did (besides buzzard. I know.)?

Do you think dark matter are particles or more far out theories like multiverse leak?

Old 02-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #53
reprise85
BOTTLEG ILLEGAL

Location: I'm faced with so many changes that I just might change my face

for a long time, i've felt like i'll die before 35. or maybe when i'm 35. supposedly it's a ptsd thing -
"sense of a shortened future"

sometimes i have a few days in a row where i feel impending doom, it's really quite terrible

Old 02-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #54
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

The universe is important. I thirst for basic knowledge on it. I can only imagine how people who have based their lives on this study feel

Old 02-01-2017, 03:44 PM   #55
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

I really enjoyed Jsapp sthreads because he was such a pleasant guu

Old 02-01-2017, 05:09 PM   #56
LaBelle
Socialphobic

Quote:
What exactly is wrong with being old?
Nothing i'm just goofing

Old 02-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #57
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Ok then

Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #58
Elphenor
Braindead

Jsapp pmd me years ago on Netpho

Was looking for the rest of the squad

Old 02-01-2017, 06:12 PM   #59
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Thank you for the refresher on the oboarders. Glad you made it over. Do you know if anyone else did (besides buzzard. I know.)?

Do you think dark matter are particles or more far out theories like multiverse leak?
I guess Elphenor is Elphenor/FlippingSweet. Vixnix is Vixnix/Wannabe. Can't think of anybody else right now...

Though most scientists seem to think it's particles (probably a sub-atomic particle), I've heard the theory that it's gravity from an adjacent universe affecting our own. I can't say I know enough about it to really have a valid opinion. The "particles" theory seems more intuitive to me.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:15 PM   #60
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
The universe is important. I thirst for basic knowledge on it. I can only imagine how people who have based their lives on this study feel
Yeah, when I was in first year, I was contemplating getting a minor in astrophysics. Decided against it because I never did high-school physics and would have to catch up on that, as well as math, because I slacked off on that in high school.

One of the recent friends I've made majors in astrophysics. She's really cool. I'd expect most science majors to be pretty matter-of-fact, but she's, like, all far-out and hippy-ish. Had an interesting talk about quantum physics after class, and she wants to get coffee soon so we can talk some more.