Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #121
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
and every video was the same and aimed to be all touching featuring some drama were a guy would get in a car accident, or a house would burn down or a guy would die
This is a good post from fuzzy. I encourage rhis

Old 05-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #122
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

I would like to be a rockstar too...
Like NICKELBACK.

Old 05-16-2017, 12:34 PM   #123
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
My favorite nickelback thing to remember is one time I saw an interview clip of Chas Krogger when they were all ascendant and momentous and the lady was asking "how come the secret yalls all the rage success wow" and he looks right in the camera and goes

It's simple: we're just four guys who are just gonna come out there and just play as hard as we can

Whenever I'm musically frustrated and can't think of a middle 8 or failing at lyrics etc, I try to remember that astonishing bit of generous wisdom and just drop everything and just play as hard as I can
must spread rep

Old 05-17-2017, 07:43 PM   #124
fuzzyroes
Banned

The Kroeger interview that stuck with me the most was on Much Music when they first became big and the interviewer asked, "what do you think about some of the backlash that you guys are facing?" and he says in this condescending matter of fact tone, "Nickelback DOES NOT suck... You may not like Nickelback, but Nickelback does not suck. 30 million people would agree that Nickelback does not suck. We spend a lot of time on songwriting and musicianship, so it's okay if you don't like Nickelback but Nickelback does not suck"

It's funny, then years later they'd feature a montage with Billie Joe Armstrong and all sorts of other famous artists making fun of Nickelback spliced in with the Kroeger footage.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #125
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
The Kroeger interview that stuck with me the most was on Much Music when they first became big and the interviewer asked, "what do you think about some of the backlash you guys are facing?" and he says in this condescending matter of fact tone, "Nickelback DOES NOT suck... You may not like Nickelback, but Nickelback does not suck. 30 million people would agree that Nickelback does not suck"

It's funny, then years later they'd feature a montage with Billie Joe Armstrong and all sorts of other famous artists making fun of Nickelback spliced in with the Kroeger footage.
I wanna see this!

Old 05-23-2017, 08:36 PM   #126
Bread Regal
Banned

was morrissey mentioned. i don't know anything about his recent musical output but in terms of being a egomaniacal, hypocritical, despotic asshole racist, he's on billy's level.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:34 PM   #127
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
I wanna see this!
I tried to find it to post it here last time everyone was making fun of Nickelback but had no luck! :'(

Old 05-24-2017, 12:24 AM   #128
myosis
Minion of Satan

ozzy osbourne

Old 05-24-2017, 03:40 AM   #129
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

How 'bout Metallica?

Metallica was probably the most badass group ever in the late 80s after masterpieces like Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All and then the 90s came and James, Lars and the gang seemingly tried to do everything in their power to fuck up the group's status.

Starting with the commercial Black album, which alienated a lot of hardcore fans, then the dreaded Load and ReLoad albums, which were rock music's equivalent of the Star Wars prequels, then the boring Garage Inc., S&M and "I Disappear" releases finishing out the 90s and going into the early 2000s... Jason Newsted leaving, the Napster PR fiasco, probably the worst album of all time in St Anger and then the unimpressive and poorly mastered Death Magnetic

Metallica's career, which stated off almost flawlessly, is really a career of bad decisions and fuck ups from about 1991 to present day (though admittedly, I kinda like Hardwired for what it is, and there certainly have been some cool songs from the group such as "Until It Sleeps", "Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters" to name a few).

Most teenagers at this point probably know Metallica more for its failures than its successes... Kinda like Billy.

Old 05-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #130
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

I saw Tool open for Metallica in Seoul.

I did not stay to see Metallica.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:57 AM   #131
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Load and Reload are awesome though, if you ever wanted to hear Kyuss with hetfield on vox

Talkin bluesy, groovy 'tallica riffs with a sneering, gleeful demon singin how much he hates himself, it's fuckin great

Old 05-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #132
myosis
Minion of Satan

metallica are still huge around here and they attract the crowds and fill up the stadiums

Old 05-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #133
run2pee
Minion of Satan

For example I still just love it when he goes "BUT TEH MEMOHREE REEE MAAAAAAAAAIIIIIINS" and it sounds like he's vomiting all his vile insides rite down the mic-hole

Old 05-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #134
Shadaloo
Apocalyptic Poster

Nah Metallica are always going to have legions of people pouring out to see them. They can still sell large venues and headline festivals. They're set for life. You're always going to have diehard fans who show up no matter what bad stuff they put out, always going to have the oceans of drunk shirtless bros heaving through the crowd, elbowing people in the ribs and somehow still carrying five pitchers of beer.

Old 05-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #135
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Sounds like the ninth circle of Hell.

I want to go sit down in a cathedral and behold sunn. Now that sounds like a concert.

Old 05-24-2017, 10:54 PM   #136
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
How 'bout Metallica?

Metallica was probably the most badass group ever in the late 80s after masterpieces like Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All and then the 90s came and James, Lars and the gang seemingly tried to do everything in their power to fuck up the group's status.

Starting with the commercial Black album, which alienated a lot of hardcore fans, then the dreaded Load and ReLoad albums, which were rock music's equivalent of the Star Wars prequels, then the boring Garage Inc., S&M and "I Disappear" releases finishing out the 90s and going into the early 2000s... Jason Newsted leaving, the Napster PR fiasco, probably the worst album of all time in St Anger and then the unimpressive and poorly mastered Death Magnetic

Metallica's career, which stated off almost flawlessly, is really a career of bad decisions and fuck ups from about 1991 to present day (though admittedly, I kinda like Hardwired for what it is, and there certainly have been some cool songs from the group such as "Until It Sleeps", "Unforgiven" and "Nothing Else Matters" to name a few).

Most teenagers at this point probably know Metallica more for its failures than its successes... Kinda like Billy.
one more little thing you forgot:

James Hetfield turning from one of the most quintessential hard rock singers around, into arguably the most weak/annoying voice in rock&roll

but i agree hard with this. they're a band who made like 75% garbage in their career, it's just that the 25% really is deserving of all the fame they still have.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #137
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
I wanna see this!
ohnoitsnickelbacktoo

A little longer:

https://youtu.be/KrRLASM31SU?t=1m36s

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 05-27-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: More nickel

Old 05-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #138
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Two handsome people...

...they were.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:44 AM   #139
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

Can't believe I didnt think of this:

METALLICA

they're like a parody of a parody at this point, re-hashing entire songs and riffs as "new" just to make a buck and have hoodwinked fans claim "THEY'RE BACK MAN"

Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #140
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

sorry didnt bother to read the whole thread

Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #141
dreams of glass
Apocalyptic Poster

IDGAF

Old 06-10-2017, 10:58 AM   #142
freshfacedyouth
Ownz

good job

Old 06-10-2017, 03:16 PM   #143
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams of glass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Blossom View Post
How 'bout Metallica?

Can't believe I didnt think of this:

METALLICA

they're like a parody of a parody at this point, re-hashing entire songs and riffs as "new" just to make a buck and have hoodwinked fans claim "THEY'RE BACK MAN"
Dude, this was only a few posts above yours...

Old 06-11-2017, 02:22 PM   #144
wounded
Apocalyptic Poster

Yeah but Metallica is still a headlining act.

as for the pumpkins...all the kids have left their tears and gone home.

I actually thought the plainsong and MM/SP tour was fairly successful, but overall bill has just flat out mismanaged the band and its brand.

Old 06-11-2017, 03:37 PM   #145
Jelly Blossom
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wounded View Post
...overall bill has just flat out mismanaged the band and its brand.
Billy's made a career of mismanaging the band/brand. His first official mismanagement failure was Adore, while I like the album for what it is it was not the album that the buying public wanted. He blames himself for marketing it wrong, and while I'm sure that did him no favors, the truth is that the general public wanted something other than was Billy provided.

Billy very stubborn and impulsive. He clearly doesn't listen to advice and that clearly played into his falling out with Sharon Osbourne during the Machina era. He wanted to pump out another double album with this weird, incoherent plot and weird image/style on the band that no one understood and clearly the album only sold to hardcore SP fans and almost no one else, while the record label and Sharon wanted Billy to go in another direction.

He couldn't admit to his failure/bad judgement so he blamed Brittany Spears and the boybands of the era for his failures and over-reacted and broke up the band. After failing commercially with Zwan, and probably seeing the writing on the wall that his solo career wasn't gonna take off a la Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins, he used the SP reunion as a vehicle to promote TFE as on the day of its release, Billy took out an ad and wrote that the album "picks up the thread of the as-yet-unfinished work and charter of The Smashing Pumpkins", and announced his plans to reform SP.

I personally liked Zeitgeist, although I know it wasn't the album that many SP fans were hoping for. I love how Billy has constantly hid behind the notion that he still writes classic-era quality songs but chooses not the release them either out of some artistic notion or out of spite. Quite frankly that's complete and utter bullshit. Billy has clearly lost any magic/mojo that he had going for him in the mid-90s.

I'd equate Billy's decline to that of watching a super star athlete embarrassing himself by playing too long after his prime either for a paycheck or because he's unable recognize his diminishing abilities and let go of his glory years.

I think Billy would be best if he followed Bernard Butler's lead (formally of the group Suede) and became a producer. Billy worked wonders with Courtney Love on the Celebrity Skin album and he's a known work-a-holic in the studio. Butler's had great success as a producer (with Duffy, The Libertines and Black Kids to name a few) and I could easily see Billy having just as much success as Butler working with new, upcoming rock talent.

But instead, Billy's fat, bald ass wants to think he's 20 years younger than he is.