Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 09-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #31
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Oh please. They aren’t all over anything. Is there any guitar on Cyr anywhere? Doubt James is even on it and Jimmy’s drums might as well be a drum machine.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:52 PM   #32
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Yeah, hopefully James is more involved but it seems like he doesn't have much of an interest. His priorities seem to be being on good terms with Billy and being able to take more financial advantage of being a founding member of a huge rock band. In those reunion tour interviews James expressed some reservation at taking on another big studio effort with SP. But who knows, hopefully some songs will be released tonight with James Iha guitar solos.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:58 PM   #33
jimmy drevpile
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid View Post
they're in the band and you can hear them all over these tracks. just cause you're not hearing them in the way you're used to doesn't mean they're not there.

and yeah, like listen to the other 16 songs on the record first before we make a big leap of a thread like this. this is silly. like fuzzy rose silly.
JC is easy to hear, despite simplicity. James, less so though.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:14 PM   #34
enthusaroo
Apocalyptic Poster

they are contributing by shutting their fucking mouths and letting Billy do whatever the fuck he wants with the SP name and brand lol

Old 09-17-2020, 08:14 PM   #35
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
Oh please. They aren’t all over anything. Is there any guitar on Cyr anywhere? Doubt James is even on it and Jimmy’s drums might as well be a drum machine.
yeah he's playing that funky chucka chucka bit between the melodic line. and jimmy is basically doing exactly what he did on their recent love will tear us apart live cover, but with roland electronic drums. they're basically becoming that kind of sounding band here but obviously with a song they wrote.

the bands there. it doesn't take a brainiac to hear it, either.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:16 PM   #36
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDogGlynis View Post
Yeah, hopefully James is more involved but it seems like he doesn't have much of an interest. His priorities seem to be being on good terms with Billy and being able to take more financial advantage of being a founding member of a huge rock band. In those reunion tour interviews James expressed some reservation at taking on another big studio effort with SP. But who knows, hopefully some songs will be released tonight with James Iha guitar solos.
i'm not trying to play devils advocate here but you're literally making shit up.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:19 PM   #37
paranoid
Minion of Satan

also, i could name you a ton of songs on the old recordings where james doesn't seem all that present, like it's kind of a silly criticism if you've been a long time fan of this band.

where is he, for example, on tear? once upon a time? everlasting gaze beyond a rhythm guitar part? crestfallen? 1979? we only come put at night? tonight tonight? like, sometimes he play's just the simple rhythm part and it's easy to say "oh that's billy doing it all does james even fucking care?" like just whatever this is dumb.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:23 PM   #38
paranoid
Minion of Satan

for real their biggest hit is 1979 and jimmy is literally playing a loop and who knows if james even played on that one. they'd release that today and you could make this same argument. but hey it still sounds like pumpkins!

Old 09-17-2020, 08:27 PM   #39
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
i'm not trying to play devils advocate here but you're literally making shit up.
No I'm not, go back and watch the interviews, James is timid when the subject of making another grand pumpkins album comes up. He said he enjoyed working off the cuff with Rick Rubin on Shiny 1 and said something inferring that he preferred having some fun in the studio opposed to the hard work of making a great album. I don't know what's in his head, and we all know he doesn't say much, but it seems like he wants to make some money and have some fun playing, and that's about it.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:29 PM   #40
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
No I'm not, go back and watch the interviews, James is timid when the subject of making another grand pumpkins album comes up. He said he enjoyed working off the cuff with Rick Rubin on Shiny 1 and said something inferring that he preferred having some fun in the studio opposed to the hard work of making a great album. I don't know what's in his head, and we all know he doesn't say much, but it seems like he wants to make some money and have some fun playing, and that's about it.
again, you're making this up. you don't know what's in his head.. but you're projecting.

when the fuck has james ever NOT been timid when speaking about anything he's doing? like lol have you paid attention to this band the past 3 decades?

Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #41
paranoid
Minion of Satan

i don;t know, he made that off the cuff record then went on to tour with SP for two years and then made another album with them.. sounds to me like he's into it, or at least as into it as he was in the first go around.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:34 PM   #42
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
also, i could name you a ton of songs on the old recordings where james doesn't seem all that present, like it's kind of a silly criticism if you've been a long time fan of this band.

where is he, for example, on tear? once upon a time? everlasting gaze beyond a rhythm guitar part? crestfallen? 1979? we only come put at night? tonight tonight? like, sometimes he play's just the simple rhythm part and it's easy to say "oh that's billy doing it all does james even fucking care?" like just whatever this is dumb.
Pure cherry picking. Yeah, SP has some classic songs that James didn't play on. What's your point? He happened to be one of the two guitarists in a total full on onslaught guitar band which he contributed a lot to and which he had left for a long time. Now he's back so the people want to hear him play on some songs because they appreciate him as a band member.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:35 PM   #43
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
yeah he's playing that funky chucka chucka bit between the melodic line. and jimmy is basically doing exactly what he did on their recent love will tear us apart live cover, but with roland electronic drums. they're basically becoming that kind of sounding band here but obviously with a song they wrote.

Lol feel free to elucidate for us if u pls how u deduced that this particular (barely there) chucka chucka = james iha

Old 09-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #44
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Pure cherry picking. Yeah, SP has some classic songs that James didn't play on. What's your point? He happened to be one of the two guitarists in a total full on onslaught guitar band which he contributed a lot to and which he had left for a long time. Now he's back so the people want to hear him play on some songs because they appreciate him as a band member.
cherry picking like you.. we've heard two songs on an 18 song record. so fucking chill out before you start ranting about how he's not really into it and just cashing the check. it's lame. if we hear the entire record and it sounds like another solo project, then we can go on about that.

but lol he's on these songs. use them ears.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #45
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
again, you're making this up. you don't know what's in his head.. but you're projecting.

when the fuck has james ever NOT been timid when speaking about anything he's doing? like lol have you paid attention to this band the past 3 decades?
I don't know what's in his head or how much he's recorded with SP the last few years, but he did express trepidation about seriously going back into the studio with SP, it doesn't mean he wasn't involved a lot with Shiny 2, nobody knows what his involvement is.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:38 PM   #46
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
Lol feel free to elucidate for us if u pls how u deduced that this particular (barely there) chucka chucka = james iha
it's a higher register chord shape that's very similar to chord shapes he's played on a number of other pumpkins tunes. for martha, for example.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #47
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I don't know what's in his head or how much he's recorded with SP the last few years, but he did express trepidation about seriously going back into the studio with SP, it doesn't mean he wasn't involved a lot with Shiny 2, nobody knows what his involvement is.
I've read and seen all of the interviews.. I've witnessed no trepidation that wasn't out of the ordinary for his usual chill attitude. actually, he barely talks because billy is all blah blah blah in these. so you're just putting words in his mouth.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #48
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
it's a higher register chord shape that's very similar to chord shapes he's played on a number of other pumpkins tunes. for martha, for example.
keanureeveswoah.gif

That settles it everyone. Fuck off and let paranoid listen to the full 18. Then we can come on here and ask him who played what

Old 09-17-2020, 08:41 PM   #49
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post
keanureeveswoah.gif

That settles it everyone. Fuck off and let paranoid listen to the full 18. Then we can come on here and ask him who played what
i mean if i have to educate you i will *shrug*

Old 09-17-2020, 08:42 PM   #50
paranoid
Minion of Satan

i remember everyone was all "oh james isn't even on knights of malta wa wa wa" and i was all like "he's obviously doing the solo" and then billy confirms it on his insta it's all like I FUCKING TOLD YOU SO

Old 09-17-2020, 08:43 PM   #51
paranoid
Minion of Satan

like for real what do you guys want? more long tone ebow parts on these songs? lol

Old 09-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #52
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

Quote:
cherry picking like you.. we've heard two songs on an 18 song record. so fucking chill out before you start ranting about how he's not really into it and just cashing the check. it's lame. if we hear the entire record and it sounds like another solo project, then we can go on about that.

but lol he's on these songs. use them ears.
I'm not saying he's just cashing a check. I'm saying its possible that James' reasons for rejoining SP may be more about burying the hatchet and having some fun, while making some money, rather than trying to revive band back into what it was.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:45 PM   #53
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
I'm not saying he's just cashing a check. I'm saying its possible that James' reasons for rejoining SP may be more about burying the hatchet and having some fun, while making some money, rather than trying to revive band back into what it was.
ok. then so what? like what's wrong with that ultimately? who fucking cares.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:51 PM   #54
paranoid
Minion of Satan

also darcy is most definitely not playing bass

Old 09-17-2020, 09:19 PM   #55
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
like for real what do you guys want?
Speaking only for myself it’s pretty simple: i want my band back, and my songs, and my dreams

Not this warmed over idea of what big willie thinks was kinda good about pumpkins music

Old 09-17-2020, 09:26 PM   #56
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

paranoid coming in and spewing a bunch of devils advocacy everywhere. What do we want on these songs? We don’t want these songs, that’s the thing. Even if James’ playing was readily apparent on these two songs it wouldn’t make them any better. Cyr sounds like Britney Spears meets Kylie Minogue. Maybe some people are cool with that?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:32 PM   #57
Forgotten Child
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

How dare you use common sense?

What I really love is how people trying to diss Billy actually go after James and Jimmy. Cause if you really think that James and Jimmy, after 30 years in the music business, come back to a band just to cash the check and accept everything Billy says, well, that would say more about their ethos than Billy's.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:38 PM   #58
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofglass11 View Post
paranoid coming in and spewing a bunch of devils advocacy everywhere. What do we want on these songs? We don’t want these songs, that’s the thing. Even if James’ playing was readily apparent on these two songs it wouldn’t make them any better. Cyr sounds like Britney Spears meets Kylie Minogue. Maybe some people are cool with that?
Your cynicism is making you hear something that’s not there. This is like, obvious influence of new order, joy division, the cure, etc etc more than Britt speaks and Kylie whatever. Like you Trollin bro?

Old 09-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #59
GreenDogGlynis
Demi-God

No one here believes James and Jimmy are Billy's chumps, but it also might be true that the band may not be as dedicated as they used to be, and also that all of them have families to take care of and SP is probably the best way they can do that. That's not the same thing as they're just cashing a check and don't give a crap.

Old 09-17-2020, 09:40 PM   #60
paranoid
Minion of Satan

Also I’m not convinced y’all know what you want from this band. I’m happy they’re playing together again, and no these songs aren’t exactly lighting a fire for me, but I’m curious to hear what else is on the record.

At this point it’s just tiring to bitch about anything they do. You’re either into or it or not. Take it or leave it is how I feel about it.