Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 12:53 PM   #1
Kicker of Elves
Amish Rake Fighter

Default Johnny Marr is now a full-time member of Modest Mouse

From Rolling Stone:

"We’ve known for a while that Modest Mouse leader Isaac Brock and former Smiths guitarist/genius Johnny Marr were collaborating on MM’s next record. But guess what? Marr is now officially a full-on member of Modest Mouse, Brock recently told us. According to Brock, Marr’s membership is so unequivocal, he will tour with MM in support of their next record, tentatively titled We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank and tentatively due this fall. “He made a cautious commitment to write and record with us, and then the tighter we got, he was like, ‘okay, let’s tour too,’” Brock said. “Then he was pretty much a member of the band - not pretty much. He’s a full blown member of the band. It’s really fuckin’ nice.”

Some backstory: When it came time to start work on the follow-up to 2004’s indie-rock marvel Good News for People Who Love Bad News, Brock found himself sans guitarist and enlisted Marr to help write and record. “I took a long shot really,” says Brock. “I was like, ‘You know, I really like that guy’s guitar playing. There’s no chance in hell he’s going to say yes, but why not give him a call?’ So I did.” Maybe Morrissey should borrow Brock’s little black book? “Eventually it all came together, and it was a really good fit, which I think actually surprised all of us,” Brock recalled. Finally, Marr, Brock and co. went down to Sweet Tea studios in Mississippi (the same joint where Good News was recorded) to lay down tracks for We Were Dead, which Brock describes as a nautical balalaika carnival romp. So what’s the gist? Get ready to have your mind blown by Modest Marr’s crazy-dark sailors-and-gypsies whimsy."

I think this is great and seriously boosts up my hopes for the new album. Isaac's guitar playing has not been as impressive and original as the old days and having a (former?) genius like Marr should be good. Also I hope it makes Isaac more focused on the lyrics. I'm curious about Marr's songs too, I just hope it doesn't ruin the modest mouse persona that I like so much.

The new album title doesn't seem to point to the humour side of the band like in Good News, which is also nice.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:24 PM   #2
patrick
Minion of Satan

LOL

Old 08-04-2006, 01:31 PM   #3
DeadOpera
Minion of Satan

i hope JM kicks the rest of the members out of the band.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #4
neopryn
let's see your penis!

the fuck

what happened to galluci

Old 08-04-2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Kicker of Elves
Amish Rake Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick
LOL
LOL the fuck out of my first thread you pretentious asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadOpera
i hope JM kicks the rest of the members out of the band.
yeah I expect many smiths fans to not enjoy these news much if they don´t like modest mouse. The MM fans however I think will will be pleased by this, at least the type of fans who knows who the hell is Marr. Most of the "Float on" fanboys don't have a clue I guess. I just hope the new album will kick those idiots back to green day gigs.

Old 08-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn
the fuck

what happened to galluci
My thoughts exactly.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Quiet CD
Apocalyptic Poster

This is definitely the move Modest Mouse needed to put things right in my book. Isaac Brock is still a douchenozzle though.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
spa ced
Braindead

kicker of elves makes me laugh.

Dee dee dee dee dee dee dee, kicker of elves

Old 08-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #9
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Maybe it'll make them not suck anymore.

And that doesn't take away from the fact that Brock is one of the biggest douchebag's on the planet.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:15 PM   #10
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

can you hear that sound? thats the sound of the editor of Q magazine having three hundred simaltaneous orgasms

Old 08-05-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

it may be LOL but LOL in the best way possible.

Last edited by Rockin' Cherub : 08-08-2006 at 08:08 AM.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #12
patrick
Minion of Satan

once good guitarist from once good band joins never good band where everyone is ten years his junior

that deserves an LOL

Old 08-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #13
homechicago
Apocalyptic Poster

Marr's work on THE THE album "Dusk" is his best I feel. Not much of a Modest Mouse fan, but maybe now they have potential.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #14
Izzle
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick
an LOL
do you pronounce it el-oh-el in your mind?

Old 08-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #15
ZackZ
Mister Class and Quality

The two fags couldn't be more perfect together.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:05 AM   #16
patrick
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle
do you pronounce it el-oh-el in your mind?
yeah

Old 08-08-2006, 02:10 AM   #17
I_was_aborted
Minion of Satan

Wow, a guy who sucks joining a band that sucks. Why lets all rejoice.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:17 AM   #18
talk show host
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: I thought using a condom was assumed but like, even if you didn't use one how would putting a vegetable in your pussy cause some sort of infection? Like, you can fucking EAT IT, but you can't put it in your fucking vagina and move it around a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_was_aborted
Wow, a guy who sucks joining a band that sucks. Why lets all rejoice.
I'm not going to bother, I just thought people should see again that you did actually post this.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:18 AM   #19
barden
Braindead

cool news, and looking forward to the next album.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:56 AM   #20
Kahlo

I like the lyrics this band comes up with, I only relaised this when i got the Modest mouse covers record 'Tiny cities' by Mark Kozelek (red house painters) he strips the songs down to these amazing acoustic interpretations. Much better than the originals.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:14 AM   #21
Shapan
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopryn
the fuck

what happened to galluci
seriously. is there even a reason why he's not in the band anymore? did he just decide to leave? hopefully jeremiah green stays off the crack and sticks with the band.

ive never gotten into the smiths, so i dont know what to think of johnny marr. maybe ill dl a smiths album, its something ive been meaning to do.

the album title is something id expect from modest mouse, i like it. im very, very, very excited for this album, i dont know where the modest mouse bashing is coming from. i havent heard much of it until now. good news might be my least favorite album(not including all the answering machine stuff that came with sad sappy sucker), but it was still a good album. its not something that made me think modest mouse was on the decline.

though it will be hard to top the lonesome crowded west or building nothing out of something.

edit: wow i dl'd the smiths s/t, really not very impressive. most of these lauded 80s things ive tried to give a chance to, like my bloody valentine, its just not too impressive, very plain. decent at best. i was even pretty disappointed with joy division after i checked them out after all the interpol comparisons. i expected a bit more out of unknown pleasures and closer. and i definitely prefer interpol.

Last edited by Shapan : 08-08-2006 at 06:18 AM.

Old 08-08-2006, 08:04 AM   #22
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahlo
I like the lyrics this band comes up with, I only relaised this when i got the Modest mouse covers record 'Tiny cities' by Mark Kozelek (red house painters) he strips the songs down to these amazing acoustic interpretations. Much better than the originals.
are you fucking kidding

Old 08-08-2006, 08:07 AM   #23
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapan
edit: wow i dl'd the smiths s/t, really not very impressive. most of these lauded 80s things ive tried to give a chance to, like my bloody valentine, its just not too impressive, very plain. decent at best. i was even pretty disappointed with joy division after i checked them out after all the interpol comparisons. i expected a bit more out of unknown pleasures and closer. and i definitely prefer interpol.
i think you'll enjoy the new modest mouse album

Old 08-08-2006, 08:08 AM   #24
ChristHimself!
mental problems angel

Quote:
i dl'd the smiths s/t, really not very impressive. most of these lauded 80s things ive tried to give a chance to, like my bloody valentine, its just not too impressive, very plain. decent at best. i was even pretty disappointed with joy division after i checked them out after all the interpol comparisons. i expected a bit more out of unknown pleasures and closer. and i definitely prefer interpol.
this post makes me sad

it also seems to infer that joy division were being compared to interpol instead of it being the other way around

i shall now cry a single tear and leave this thread.

Old 08-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #25
barden
Braindead

Quote:
seriously. is there even a reason why he's not in the band anymore? did he just decide to leave? hopefully jeremiah green stays off the crack and sticks with the band.

ive never gotten into the smiths, so i dont know what to think of johnny marr. maybe ill dl a smiths album, its something ive been meaning to do.

the album title is something id expect from modest mouse, i like it. im very, very, very excited for this album, i dont know where the modest mouse bashing is coming from. i havent heard much of it until now. good news might be my least favorite album(not including all the answering machine stuff that came with sad sappy sucker), but it was still a good album. its not something that made me think modest mouse was on the decline.

though it will be hard to top the lonesome crowded west or building nothing out of something.

You have to put that old stuff into context of what was happening at the time, under what conditions they were creating music. today we're exposed to so much stuff, thats gone pretty far up the creativity scale. Back then, certain simple things we take for granted were unique and beautiful and just all round grand.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #26
Shapan
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristHimself!
this post makes me sad

it also seems to infer that joy division were being compared to interpol instead of it being the other way around

i shall now cry a single tear and leave this thread.
. well obviously joy division came first, which is why ive given them more of a chance. id be lying to say i wasnt expecting a little more, but its not like i didnt like the stuff. i liked it, but i just prefer interpol. i do see similarities between ian curtis's voice and paul banks's, but thats really it. interpol's music is more complexed in my view, and its just a difference style. but i think joy division is more of a grower while interpol stuck out to me right away. i do really love some joy division songs, like she's lost control, means to an end, atmosphere, love will tear us apart, and atrocity exhibition. but as a whole, i think they're a grower, and there's room for me to like them more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden
You have to put that old stuff into context of what was happening at the time, under what conditions they were creating music. today we're exposed to so much stuff, thats gone pretty far up the creativity scale. Back then, certain simple things we take for granted were unique and beautiful and just all round grand.
yeah, i think i need to listen to all the 80s stuff more. my friends that like MBV all say it took them a long time to get into loveless, and on another listen i like the smiths self-titled a little more.

but im a HUGE fan of 70s stuff and classic rock like led zeppelin, floyd, the beatles, the doors, jimi hendrix, etc. i thought that stuff was more creative than this certain batch of 80s artists.

however i dont want to depreciate the past and influences of some of my favorite bands, so i dont think ill have a concrete opinion until i listen to these albums a few times over. with the smiths particular i only have self-titled, when the queen is dead is suppose to be their best.

Last edited by Shapan : 08-08-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:11 PM   #27
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

if you want to get into the smiths listen to hatful of hollow not their average first album

Old 08-08-2006, 03:40 PM   #28
I_was_aborted
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barden
This logic doesn't really apply. Jimi Hendrix, The Door, Pink Floyd and a ton of other classic great music from the 60s and 70s was produced when the general society around them was still very conservative and the music is very creative. 80s music was made after several cultural revolutions had taken place and should had a lot of things to draw on. The musicians that were popular really just often weren't very good. I see what you're saying though as I've been in your position when talking to people about Dub reggae and roots reggae. Simplicity can still be wonderful and creative, I just don't think a lot of musicians in the 80s did a very good job and achieving that. I think a lot of 80s love is just lame retro nastalgia.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM   #29
Rockin' Cherub
Braindead

hey mark ever heard about punk

Old 08-08-2006, 04:51 PM   #30
billex doux
Demi-God

i am definitely excited for this.