Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #211
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

It's not fair to compare SP and Radiohead.

SP had 1 arts school student, 1 jazz trained musician, and two good looking but downtrodden white people from the suburbs

Radiohead had five students from the same, 750-year-old private school in England

https://www.abingdon.org.uk/other_half_music

Old 10-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #212
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Thom Yorke is awesome. Bring on the haters.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #213
FoolofaTook

There's an empty space inside my heart
Where the weeds take root

Old 10-15-2018, 12:07 PM   #214
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
What did Kid A influence, exactly? Where as I like Billy's whiny voice well enough, I never got into Yorke's moan-singing, so I have a huge blind spot when it comes to all things Radiohead. All I get from Kid A is a ponderous self-seriousness. Is that what they brought to the mainstream?
I’m not talking about the vocals, I’m talking about the soundscapes. Every pop/hip-hop and shitty alt rock band tries to trot out their “experimental” sound by remaking Idioteque. Nobody that’s emulated that album has understood the nuance but every fucking rapper from Brockhampton to Cardi B to Run the Jewels and every alt rock “group” nowadays from Coldplay to shit even Bowie’s Blackstar have obvious Kid A influences. (Blackstar being the exception to not understanding the nuance of Kid a)

I think if you’re young you don’t understand how different and jarring Kid A was on release. You can hear the sound in everything now. Before it, nothing had that sound. The cold, airy, robotic soundscape that album produced was new and foreign before it was released. I’m not the biggest Radiohead fan, I certainly like them but they aren’t my favorite, but Kid A changed the fucking game man.

Last edited by ninsp : 10-15-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #215
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Quote:
I think the big thing that's lacking from Yorke's singing that I'd require in order to call it in any way beautiful is enunciation. That's something Billy doesn't have any issues with.

When I think beautiful singing I think Roland Orzabal, personally. I don't know of any other pop/rock singer that even comes close. Roland Orzabal doing Creep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hs_67QETy4
Well ya insulted one of my favorites but then praised one of my other favorites, so frankly I'm torn! But really, how is "enunciation" in any way important in determining the quality/beauty of one's singing? The clarity of the lyrics, sure, but tone & technique and all that? Not to mention, Billy is fucking infamous for dropping consonants so how can you say he has no issues with that, lol

Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #216
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
That is rather good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
this is another great vocal song. the last chorus (around 3:00) is I think the highest he ever sang in his modal voice on a recorded song

Radiohead - Sulk [The Bends] from faustidioteque on Vimeo.

A lot like Bono, in terms of singing and how the vocal part is composed.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #217
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
Well ya insulted one of my favorites but then praised one of my other favorites, so frankly I'm torn! But really, how is "enunciation" in any way important in determining the quality/beauty of one's singing? The clarity of the lyrics, sure, but tone & technique and all that? Not to mention, Billy is fucking infamous for dropping consonants so how can you say he has no issues with that, lol
That's just my opinion, I'm not saying I can tell you what is beautiful. Billy's voice is considered by the mainstream to be annoying and whiny, so I wouldn't make the case that there's some sort of "objective beauty" to it, but I really like how he can sound affected, like in Mayonnaise, or over the top, like X.Y.U. He really knows how to use his vocal pipes to a broad effect. There again, I'd be curious to see if anyone can name another well known rock vocalist who spans the gamut to a similar degree.

Someone said to me "nobody has ever covered a Beatles song and improved upon the original", and I couldn't think of a single counter point, but when it comes to Radiohead, I think I've preferred just about ever cover to the original version. I have a feeling this could be why Radiohead is covered so often, these other musicians hear a great song and figure they could improve upon the performance aspect somehow. Conversely, I bet people hear Smashing Pumkins and probably figure Billy Corgan's renditions would be a tough act to follow.

That's one of Corgan's real talents, writing to himself. I know that I, and probably a lot of other musicians, wanted to write music like so and so, but we don't have their voice, so it never comes out right, and we never invent a style of music that plays to our own vocal strengths.

Last edited by MonumentsRocks : 10-15-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM   #218
redbreegull

Quote:
That is rather good.
I have watched that clip hundreds of times and still get chills when he sails through "starry skies all around my eyes." A lot of people think he sounds froggy, and I kind of hear that, but to me it sounds like he is hitting even most high notes from deep down in his chest (the frog effect I think) but I was always just super impressed with how strong his chest voice must be to do that. He's been a big inspiration to me personally as a singer, and I actually have said in the past that I became a decent singer when I stopped trying to emulate Billy Corgan and started trying to emulate Thom Yorke.

Quote:
A lot like Bono, in terms of singing and how the vocal part is composed.
yah, I hear that. Bono's voice is more even and doesn't quite have the shrillness and high-end flexibility Yorke can employ, but the powerful chest voice "moaning" is comparable.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:55 PM   #219
redbreegull

BTW Buffy Corgan has spanned a very wide range of things with his voice considering how much shit he has gotten for it in his career. Some singers sing in the same style or affectation on every track, Billy has (or in the classic era had) like 5 or 6 different vocal "personalities" for lack of a better word.

The singer I instantly think of who has taken this kind of thing the furthest is Tom Waits, who has like 14 different voices.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #220
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Oh don't get me wrong 90s Corgan was one of my favorite vocalists of his generation. The vocals on everything pre-Zwan, and the contrast between his softer SD-era studio voice versus the no-hold-barred assault of the liver performanes gave a whole other dimension to them

Nowadays? He's completely one-note. Thommy-baby is better than ever

Most versatile singer I actively listen to is probably Patton, tbh

Old 10-15-2018, 04:59 PM   #221
myosis
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninsp View Post
I’m not talking about the vocals, I’m talking about the soundscapes. Every pop/hip-hop and shitty alt rock band tries to trot out their “experimental” sound by remaking Idioteque. Nobody that’s emulated that album has understood the nuance but every fucking rapper from Brockhampton to Cardi B to Run the Jewels and every alt rock “group” nowadays from Coldplay to shit even Bowie’s Blackstar have obvious Kid A influences. (Blackstar being the exception to not understanding the nuance of Kid a)

I think if you’re young you don’t understand how different and jarring Kid A was on release. You can hear the sound in everything now. Before it, nothing had that sound. The cold, airy, robotic soundscape that album produced was new and foreign before it was released. I’m not the biggest Radiohead fan, I certainly like them but they aren’t my favorite, but Kid A changed the fucking game man.
and you do realize the sound of idioteque was lifted off Autechre?

Old 10-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #222
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by myosis View Post
The beat yes

The rest of the song no

Old 10-17-2018, 10:52 AM   #223
topleybird
Janis Jopleybird

Location: Let me see you do the booty hop. And now make the booty stop. Now drop, and do the booty wop.
Exclamation

Reminder that this rocks harder than XYU

Old 10-17-2018, 11:26 AM   #224
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Old 10-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #225
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Would still prefer these black artists, which haven't been nominated yet:

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 10-17-2018 at 02:37 PM.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #226
Zer0 Hour
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
That's just my opinion, I'm not saying I can tell you what is beautiful. Billy's voice is considered by the mainstream to be annoying and whiny, so I wouldn't make the case that there's some sort of "objective beauty" to it, but I really like how he can sound affected, like in Mayonnaise, or over the top, like X.Y.U. He really knows how to use his vocal pipes to a broad effect. There again, I'd be curious to see if anyone can name another well known rock vocalist who spans the gamut to a similar degree.
I'm sorry sir, but that is not the correct misspelling of Mayonaise.

Untr00 fan alert

Old 10-17-2018, 11:11 PM   #227
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Would still prefer these black artists, which haven't been nominated yet:

They will have their time, definitely! Janet is overdue, though, so her first.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:22 PM   #228
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by topleybird View Post
Reminder that this rocks harder than XYU

In amongst [black artist]'s eclectic catalog there exists a track that features an electrified guitar; R&R HoF material right there. [black artist]'s influence on R&R music obviously can't be understated!

Old 10-17-2018, 11:27 PM   #229
redbreegull

they are inducting Rosetta Tharpe

Old 10-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #230
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

This thread is just going in circles. I've given tons of examples of non-"rock" HOFers and Monuments has some messed up idea about non-rock (mostly POC & women) inductees being inducted due to "tokenism," thus proving my original point about how focusing on the "rock and roll" element when clearly it's actually the popular music hall of fame is just thinly-veiled racism and sexism from the "rock purist."

Old 10-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #231
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
Thom Yorke is awesome. Bring on the haters.

The whole band is awesome. Radiohead are great. A better overall record than Smashing Pumpkins for sure.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 AM   #232
MyKeyZ
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Thom Yorke is a huge fan of them. I remember reading somewhere that he wrote them like a fan letter telling them how much he liked their work. You definitely hear their influence on Kid A, Hail To The Thief, and his solo work. Huge fan of Tri Repetae and LP5.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #233
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Idiotheque is the only worthwhile radiohead song tbh

Old 10-18-2018, 04:06 AM   #234
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Subtile protest of their graphic designer

Old 10-18-2018, 04:15 AM   #235
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

Next year's favorite, for their social contribution:

Last edited by Corgan's Bluff : 10-18-2018 at 04:28 AM.

Old 10-18-2018, 04:26 AM   #236
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

Radiohead are such corporate whores, yet they show up at Glastonbury every few years and put out a limited "fight-the-capitalist-system, save the planet" $500 edition of every album and people are like RADIOHEAD ARE SO SPECIAL.

But yeah, they're pretty good though.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:16 PM   #237
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corgan's Bluff View Post
Next year's favorite, for their social contribution:

I wouldn't be mad. Martha Wash is an icon and a legend. And sued the hell out of Black Box and C&C Music Factory for not crediting her vocals.

Old 10-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #238
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

This thread has given me the unexpected gift of a brand new addition to my ignore list

& it ain't even Friday!

Old 10-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #239
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
I wouldn't be mad. Martha Wash is an icon and a legend. And sued the hell out of Black Box and C&C Music Factory for not crediting her vocals.
Was she yelling "Everybody dance now!"?

Lol, didn't at least fit to their visual fitness aesthetic...

Old 10-18-2018, 03:40 PM   #240
emilem
Demi-God

Quote:
naah unless you count any inspiration 'lifting off'. im sure thom was influenced by warp records and ninja tune but its far off from being lifted from anything aside from that electronic composition that lend its pads to the backgrounds. and even though kid a/amnesiac sound very clumsy and dated now it's still a very distinctive and brave album with it's own identity.

saying that, eraser kinda sounds like autechre ripoff. and TKOL kinda gets too close to flying lotus. but these are non-essentials, so who cares.