Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-2018, 09:21 PM   #271
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
I share liberal ideals, so I'm not one to undermine liberal people, but what they're doing is liberal revisionist history. "We wish there were more black people in rock and roll, so let's pretend there were, rather than acknowledge the true nature of the thing we claim to hold so sacred."

As for the idea that we should just ignore the R&R HoF, that's easier said than done. It will come up again and again for decades, conceivably, in relation to our favorite bands. Even if it doesn't matter to us, it will matter to the bands we like, even though we wish it didn't. I just hope that someday, when the founding members are dead and gone, and a new generation will come along and reform it for the better.
you're kind of a racist though and are specifically narrowing the definition of "rock and roll," which as I have explained to like a dozen times already is a big umbrella term that has been applied to all kinds of different modern music, to mean a specifically white form of guitar music

Old 10-21-2018, 09:23 PM   #272
redbreegull

also that's not even why they induct artists outside the narrow "ROCK" genre, which is what you mean. they do it because rock is a novelty that an ever-decreasing number of people actually give a shit.

much easier to market it as a history of american music kind of thing

Old 10-21-2018, 09:24 PM   #273
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbreegull View Post
you're kind of a racist though and are specifically narrowing the definition of "rock and roll," which as I have explained to like a dozen times already is a big umbrella term that has been applied to all kinds of different modern music, to mean a specifically white form of guitar music
Your reasoning that Im a racist is based on the fact that I don't buy your bullshit notion that rock and roll is a little bit of everything to everybody. Rock and roll is well enough defined that record stores can figure out which records go in the "rock and roll" section, and which ones go somewhere else. There might be some fence riders that are a little bit country, a little bit rock and roll, but in such cases it's very unlikely they're Hall of Fame worthy.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:25 PM   #274
redbreegull

also NO ONE GIVES A FUCK. NO ONE. GIVES. A. FUCK. The idea of having a hall of fame for rock and roll music is the opposite way of how rock should be honored. It's a stupid idea, a stupid corporate execution, and literally no one gives a fuck except the corporate sponsors and your dad

Old 10-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #275
redbreegull

Quote:
Your reasoning that Im a racist is based on the fact that I don't buy your bullshit notion that rock and roll is a little bit of everything to everybody. Rock and roll is well enough defined that record stores can figure out which records go in the "rock and roll" section, and which ones go somewhere else.
no, that IS what rock and roll means, YOU are narrowing the definition so it feels nice and familiar to whatever mythological rock and roll canon you pray at the altar of

the fact that rock and roll mostly comes from black traditional music, was mostly first performed by black musicians, is named after a culturally appropriated black American slang term, and then became this narrowly defined thing mostly for white people is a great example of the cultural system of racism though, which you are backing up because it's what is familiar to you and doesn't shake your rock identity or whatever.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #276
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Doesn't Ted Nugent have like one good song? Not sure that a one-hit-wonder belongs in any hall of fame. Although I view this particular hall of fame as nothing more than a museum designed to attract visitors and sell tickets, which from my understanding is exactly what it is. (Never been there.)

Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #277
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Joe Walsh the conservative radio guy, or Joe Walsh of the Eagles?
Joe Walsh of the Eagles.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #278
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
also that's not even why they induct artists outside the narrow "ROCK" genre, which is what you mean. they do it because rock is a novelty that an ever-decreasing number of people actually give a shit.

much easier to market it as a history of american music kind of thing
A novelty that has persisted for like seven decades, uh hu. And the fact that some art form sunsets, doesn't make it any less worthy of honors.

You're unhinged; you just fling shit out there rather than giving the subject matter any real thought.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:30 PM   #279
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyroes View Post
Joe Walsh of the Eagles.
Just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGWdz2qyM0 , fucking fantastic.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:32 PM   #280
redbreegull

Quote:
A novelty that has persisted for like seven decades, uh hu. And the fact that some art form sunsets, doesn't make it any less worthy of honors.
Rock is over my guy. Do you go outside much? Young people do not listen to rock music anymore. It's well on the way to being the next jazz. Soon kids are going to have "rock band" in school as an elective and shit like that.

That doesn't mean it doesn't still have cultural importance or power or that there can't be innovation, but as a driving force in culture, rock is well over. THAT is why the HOF interprets "rock and roll" in the big sense.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #281
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
no, that IS what rock and roll means, YOU are narrowing the definition so it feels nice and familiar to whatever mythological rock and roll canon you pray at the altar of

the fact that rock and roll mostly comes from black traditional music, was mostly first performed by black musicians, is named after a culturally appropriated black American slang term, and then became this narrowly defined thing mostly for white people is a great example of the cultural system of racism though, which you are backing up because it's what is familiar to you and doesn't shake your rock identity or whatever.
Yes, but rock and roll didn't come from Janet Jackson. It just didn't, I'm very sorry.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #282
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
Doesn't Ted Nugent have like one good song? Not sure that a one-hit-wonder belongs in any hall of fame. Although I view this particular hall of fame as nothing more than a museum designed to attract visitors and sell tickets, which from my understanding is exactly what it is. (Never been there.)
Are you kidding?

Nugent is an absolute beast, guy was a trailblazer with rock guitar. He also played in the Amboy Dukes.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 PM   #283
redbreegull

Quote:
Yes, but rock and roll didn't come from Janet Jackson. It just didn't, I'm very sorry.
god your powers reasoning are just... incredibly weak

Old 10-21-2018, 09:35 PM   #284
redbreegull

honestly, you were making stronger arguments about us all being "sycophants" or whatever the fuck other incomprehensible thing you were going on about

Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #285
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Just found this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnGWdz2qyM0 , fucking fantastic.
Great clip. I couldn't agree with him more. RHOF has become nothing more than a corporate, political joke...

It's too bad because it's supposed to be an institution that serves the fans

Old 10-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #286
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Are you kidding?

Nugent is an absolute beast, guy was a trailblazer with rock guitar. He also played in the Amboy Dukes.
Can you educate me by naming three classic Ted Nugent songs I should check out? I'm being serious.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #287
redbreegull

Quote:
Great clip. I couldn't agree with him more. RHOF has become nothing more than a corporate, political joke...

I'm sure this was over your head, but he wasn't talking about identity politics or Washington politics, he was talking about the politics of the corporate sponsors

Old 10-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #288
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Rock is over my guy. Do you go outside much? Young people do not listen to rock music anymore. It's well on the way to being the next jazz. Soon kids are going to have "rock band" in school as an elective and shit like that.

That doesn't mean it doesn't still have cultural importance or power or that there can't be innovation, but as a driving force in culture, rock is well over. THAT is why the HOF interprets "rock and roll" in the big sense.
First off; the top selling music tours in 2018, five of the top ten are rock artists / bands.

Second, even if an art form is weigning, you don't whore that art form out. Just because Vaudeville is dead doesn't mean you would put any variety show like "Saturday Night Live" or "The Tonight Show" into a Vaudeville Hall of Fame. To do so would diminish the integrity of the award, the art, and history itself.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #289
redbreegull

It's supposed to be an institution to serve the fans? Since when? Where do you even get this? It's always been a corporate joke.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:41 PM   #290
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

J Jackson's more "rock & roll" than the majority of bands nominated for "rock grammys" these days anyway so who gives a sheeit

Old 10-21-2018, 09:42 PM   #291
redbreegull

Quote:
First off; the top selling music tours in 2018, five of the top ten are rock artists / bands.

Second, even if an art form is weigning, you don't whore that art form out. Just because Vaudeville is dead doesn't mean you would put any variety show like "Saturday Night Live" into a Vaudeville Hall of Fame. To do so would diminish the integrity of the award, the art, and history itself.
I laughed out loud at this post. lie down before you hurt yourself

Old 10-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #292
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by butthurt View Post
Can you educate me by naming three classic Ted Nugent songs I should check out? I'm being serious.
Yeah, sure man.

This is pretty much his trademark song

This I'd guess is his biggest hit

Then you have other staples like this

guy is pretty much a classic-rock institution.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #293
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:

Well at least its in Cleveland. I can't think of better city to dump waste product.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #294
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
I'm sure this was over your head, but he wasn't talking about identity politics or Washington politics, he was talking about the politics of the corporate sponsors
It seems pretty to clear to me that he was talking about the whole amalgamation of it all.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:44 PM   #295
butthurt
Apocalyptic Poster

Ted Nugent is a piece of shit loudmouth chicken hawk. Talks tough, but shits his pants to avoid serving his country. Fuck him.

Quote:
I got my physical notice 30 days prior to. Well, on that day I ceased cleansing my body. No more brushing my teeth, no more washing my hair, no baths, no soap, no water. Thirty days of debris build. I stopped shavin’ and I was 18, had a little scraggly beard, really looked like a hippie. I had long hair, and it started gettin’ kinky, matted up. Then two weeks before, I stopped eating any food with nutritional value. I just had chips, Pepsi, beer-stuff I never touched-buttered poop, little jars of Polish sausages, and I’d drink the syrup, I was this side of death, Then a week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. poop, piss the whole shot. My pants got crusted up.

See, I approached the whole thing like, Ted Nugent, cool hard-workin’ dude, is gonna wreak havoc on these imbeciles in the armed forces. I’m gonna play their own game, and I’m gonna destroy ’em. Now my whole body is crusted in poop and piss. I was ill. And three or four days before, I started stayin’ awake. I was close to death, but I was in control. I was extremely antidrug as I’ve always been, but I snorted some crystal methedrine. Talk about one wounded motherf*cker. A guy put up four lines, and it was for all four of us, but I didn’t know and I’m vacuuming that poop right up. I was a walking, talking hunk of human poop. I was six-foot-three of sin. So the guys took me down to the physical, and my nerves, my emotions were distraught. I was not a good person. I was wounded. But as painful and nauseous as it was — ’cause I was really into bein’ clean and on the ball — I made gutter swine hippies look like football players. I was deviano.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #296
redbreegull

Quote:
It seems pretty to clear to me that he was talking about the whole amalgamation of it all.
It seems pretty clear to me that's what you wanted it to mean and your name is synonymous with confirmation bias

I just read that interview the other day because of this stupid fucking thread. he is talking specifically about how musical accomplishment is not honored (his example is Link Wray), but rather people who are recognizable or seen as iconic... because the sponsors pick the nominees.... and the sponsors are big companies... He is obviously talking about the internal politics of the HOF, not identity politics. jesus fucking christ

Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #297
Mals Marola
Socialphobic

Good lord that's disgusting

Pretty ironic considering how many confederate July 4th barbecue's you know he's been the soundtrack to

Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 PM   #298
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
Well at least its in Cleveland. I can't think of better city to dump waste product.
hahaha touche! I've never been, but I have a buddy who likes to trek around to different MLB stadiums and he says aside from the town-square, Cleveland is an absolute shit-hole.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #299
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mals Marola View Post
J Jackson's more "rock & roll" than the majority of bands nominated for "rock grammys" these days anyway so who gives a sheeit
Example?

Old 10-21-2018, 09:51 PM   #300
fuzzyroes
Banned

Quote:
It seems pretty clear to me that's what you wanted it to mean and your name is synonymous with confirmation bias
You're projecting again, homie. Obviously the hall of fame is little more than corporate back-patting, you'd have to be an imbecile not to recognize that.. But let's not pretend that political leanings don't play a part either.

Think about it... Would a guy like Springsteen be so revered if he wasn't essentially a left-wing propagandist mouthpiece?... I highly doubt it.