Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2018, 07:15 PM   #1
KManXC
Ownz

Default Rock Hall of Fame Nominations Out

Pumpkins not nominated. Continue with lives.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #2
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 10-10-2018, 04:56 AM   #3
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post

Old 10-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

I wonder how the lives of the inductees have improved since making it into the R&R HoF. One can only imagine.

Old 10-09-2018, 07:32 PM   #5
FoolofaTook

No. One can also not imagine.

Fool.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:51 PM   #6
Corgan's Bluff
Minion of Satan

Arrow

First appearance for Roxy Music. Unbelievable...

Rock Hall of Fame: Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Radiohead, Rage Lead Nominees
Devo, Janet Jackson, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, Roxy Music and Todd Rundgren among 15 possible inductees

By ANDY GREENE
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...minees-733818/

Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks and Radiohead lead this year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees

The nominations for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2019 are in, and the list includes Radiohead, Def Leppard, Stevie Nicks, Rage Against the Machine, the Cure, Devo, Janet Jackson, Kraftwerk, LL Cool J, Roxy Music, Todd Rundgren, John Prine, MC5, Rufus featuring Chaka Khan and the Zombies. The top vote-getters will be announced in December and inducted March 29th, 2019 at a ceremony at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. HBO will broadcast the event later next year.

To be eligible for this year’s ballot, each nominee’s first single or album had to released in 1993 or earlier. Several of the nominees have appeared on previous ballots, but this is first appearance for Def Leppard, Devo, Prine, Roxy Music, Nicks and Rundgren. Radiohead and Rage Against the Machine both made their debut appearance last year in their first period of eligibility. This is the fifth appearance for Kraftwerk and LL Cool J, the fourth for the Zombies, the third for Janet Jackson and Rufus featuring Chaka Khan and the second for the Cure.

A voting pool of more than 1,000 artists, historians, journalists and members of the music industry will select the new class, and once again fans will have a chance to be a part of the process. They can vote on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s website or visit the museum in Cleveland and make a selection at an interactive kiosk.

As in recent years, the Hall of Fame has announced the individual members of each band that will be inducted. The current lineup of Def Leppard is listed along with the late Steve Clark and original guitarist Pete Willis.

The classic Roxy Music lineup of Bryan Ferry, Brian Eno, Andy Mackay, Phil Manzanera, Eddie Jobson and Paul Thompson made the cut, though none of their many bassists did. Roxy hasn’t played with Brian Eno since he left in 1973, which could lead to a historic reunion should the band get inducted.

The core Kraftwerk lineup of Karl Bartos, Wolfgang Flür, Ralf Hütter, Florian Schneider are listed, though at this point only Hütter remains in the group, setting up another possible reunion at the ceremony.

Many musicians have come and gone through the Cure over the years, but only Robert Smith, Porl Thompson, Perry Bamonte, Michael Dempsey, Simon Gallup, Lol Tolhurst, Boris Williams, Jason Cooper, Roger O’Donnell got the nod.

Rufus featuring Chaka Khan has been largely inactive since their slip in 1983. The Hall of Fame will induct Dennis Belfield, Al Ciner, Andre Fischer, Chaka Khan, Tony Maiden, Nate Morgan, Kevin Murphy, Ron Stockert, Bobby Watson should they receive enough votes.

Radiohead has had the same lineup since their formation in 1985, so it’s no great shock that Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood, Colin Greenwood, Ed O’Brien and Philip Selway all made the list. The big question is whether or not they’ll show up should they make it in. Last year, they booked a South American show on the evening of the induction ceremony before they learned they didn’t make the cut. Speaking to Rolling Stone last year, bassist Colin Greenwood said he wasn’t sure if his bandmates would attend a Hall of Fame ceremony. “It might be me just doing bass versions of everything like, ‘Come on, you know this one!’” he said. “I’d have to play the bass part to ‘Creep’ five times.”

Old 10-09-2018, 09:34 PM   #7
FoolofaTook

def leppard and radiohead lol

Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 AM   #8
Disco King
Minion of Satan

Quote:
def leppard and radiohead lol
Deafradio could be a band name.

I was going to go with Defradio, but that looks like an Italian family name.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #9
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Getting into the HoF is the only reason Billy keeps going imho. I bet right now behind the scenes he's saying things like "WE JUST SOLD OUT MADISON SQUARE GARDEN. WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!?!?"

Old 10-09-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
Gooch
Apocalyptic Poster

Criteria inclu des influence and significance to the development and perpetuation of rock and roll. I know we are being partial and biased, but I think they contributed more than RATM or def leppard at least on par with them,. Imho

Old 10-09-2018, 11:30 PM   #11
T&T
Socialphobic

why does anyone care about the HoF?

Old 10-09-2018, 11:32 PM   #12
Funbags
Apocalyptic Poster

Actually, I wonder if he thinks D'arcy ruined his chances this year? "They want a positive, marketable image on stage, and it doesn't look good when an original member doesn't show up! AAUUGH!!"

Old 10-13-2018, 07:22 AM   #13
Razor Star
Pledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funbags View Post
Actually, I wonder if he thinks D'arcy ruined his chances this year? "They want a positive, marketable image on stage, and it doesn't look good when an original member doesn't show up! AAUUGH!!"
Have you ever seen the clip of Blondie's inauguration? It is awkward as fuck. Old members literally pleading Debbie Harry to let them play.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:39 PM   #14
toase
Apocalyptic Poster

todd rundgren <3

Old 10-10-2018, 01:00 AM   #15
Elphenor
Braindead

lol Radiohead is gonna get in and not Fatshit Oregon

piss on that ahahah

he wants it so bad and you know Radiohead doesn't care

Old 10-10-2018, 01:05 AM   #16
Disco King
Minion of Satan

"It's not delivery, it's DeFradio."

Old 10-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #17
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

The real "Rock n Roll" hall of fame comes in the form of documentaries that are made decades later that attempt to explain what happened with music in a given decade. Like I need to see some documentaries on the 60's to put it all together, because all I really know is "the Beatles killed everybody, the end."

So the question is, can you tell the story of the 90's without ever mentioning Smashing Pumpkins, and I dare say yes, you can, because even though there were monster band in '96, I don't know that they really "influenced" the sound that followed. Billy had a whiny voice that nobody was keen to imitate. The Pumkins pretty much retained ownership of the Big Muff 'wall of sound' tone, nobody really copied that, either. In fact, around the end of '96, alt-rock started fading from the radio. Even Billy recognized this, hence he made Adore. I suppose if you made a documentary about music dying, you could make a stronger case that the Smashing Pumpkins helped kill alt-rock, somehow.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM   #18
SPLATTER
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonumentsRocks View Post
The real "Rock n Roll" hall of fame comes in the form of documentaries that are made decades later that attempt to explain what happened with music in a given decade. Like I need to see some documentaries on the 60's to put it all together, because all I really know is "the Beatles killed everybody, the end."

So the question is, can you tell the story of the 90's without ever mentioning Smashing Pumpkins, and I dare say yes, you can, because even though there were monster band in '96, I don't know that they really "influenced" the sound that followed. Billy had a whiny voice that nobody was keen to imitate. The Pumkins pretty much retained ownership of the Big Muff 'wall of sound' tone, nobody really copied that, either. In fact, around the end of '96, alt-rock started fading from the radio. Even Billy recognized this, hence he made Adore. I suppose if you made a documentary about music dying, you could make a stronger case that the Smashing Pumpkins helped kill alt-rock, somehow.
interesting take.

you could def say that once they peaked the music industry and fans looked around and thought 'dang, this is the best we got? time to look elsewhere and move on from rock'

Old 10-10-2018, 12:52 PM   #19
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPLATTER View Post
interesting take.

you could def say that once they peaked the music industry and fans looked around and thought 'dang, this is the best we got? time to look elsewhere and move on from rock'
I like to think Smashing Pumpkins did it alt-rock so well that all the other alt-rock underwhelmed by comparison.

This would be a fun one to talk to Billy Corgan about, he'd be like

Old 10-10-2018, 02:20 AM   #20
Elphenor
Braindead

what did Nirvana influence, post-grunge?

Old 10-10-2018, 03:03 AM   #21
MonumentsRocks
Ownz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphenor View Post
what did Nirvana influence, post-grunge?
Not sure if joking

Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 AM   #22
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Rooting for Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, The Cure, Kraftwerk and Roxy Music!

But honestly it'd be hilarious if Radiohead got inducted bc it would piss off Belly.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:03 AM   #23
D.
Consume my pants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pale_princess View Post
Rooting for Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks, The Cure, Kraftwerk and Roxy Music!

But honestly it'd be hilarious if Radiohead got inducted bc it would piss off Belly.
I saw some stray internet comment incredulous that Kraftwerk were in the HoF. It wasn't some oldie yelling at the clouds about "real music" either. This person did NOT like Kraftwerk and I was just surprised someone had a real negative opinion on them.
Maybe I'm too young but I just always thought they were under the radar enough that your average person wouldn't even have an opinion about them.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 PM   #24
pale_princess
spanish harlem mona lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. View Post
I saw some stray internet comment incredulous that Kraftwerk were in the HoF. It wasn't some oldie yelling at the clouds about "real music" either. This person did NOT like Kraftwerk and I was just surprised someone had a real negative opinion on them.
Maybe I'm too young but I just always thought they were under the radar enough that your average person wouldn't even have an opinion about them.
Honestly probably some "rockist" who thinks electronic music isn't "real."

Old 10-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #25
amoergosum
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KManXC View Post
Pumpkins not nominated.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #26
FoolofaTook

what the fuck

Old 10-10-2018, 09:05 AM   #27
ninsp
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
what the fuck
Between that GIF and Billy in old man pajamas eating bizarre vegetables, IAGW was a fascinating time

Old 10-10-2018, 08:16 AM   #28
Cool As Ice Cream

lololo

Old 10-10-2018, 09:41 AM   #29
thedeadofnight
Ownz

Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #30
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

our boy clay tuckett always delivers, SOME BULLSHIT, that ONE WOMAN on the list.

is that thing the bust that got stolen at a gig a few years ago? I remember seeing some urgent cries for help online to get it back.