Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Music Board Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 11-05-2002, 01:53 PM   #1
palidor
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up Go buy Ours - Precious today. $7.99 at Best Buy!

It's a seriously amazing album

Some stores are supposed to carry a bonus dvd. They're listed here:
http://www.dreamworksrecords.com/our...vd_stores.html

The one closest to me didn't have it, so I just went to Best Buy & got it for $7.99.

I really like the vibe of this album a lot more than Distorted Lullabies.

Old 11-05-2002, 02:24 PM   #2
Mason R Butler
walks among us

http://www.ninapaley.com/Pg.%206-%20...o/eat_shit.gif

Old 11-05-2002, 02:55 PM   #3
Jesse Miller
Ownz

Thumbs up

Good. I think I need a new copy of The Bends anyways.

Old 11-05-2002, 03:03 PM   #4
Jesse Miller
Ownz

Old 11-05-2002, 03:49 PM   #5
dishpan
bestfriendless

Unhappy

i did buy it, cause of the price, and i am not impressed with it. "leaves" may very well be the best song theyve ever written, but the rest of the album i dont seem to like. i really like their previous album though.

i picked up badly drawn boy - have you fed the fish? today as well (cost twice as much as ours!) and i love it

dishpan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-05-2002, 06:51 PM   #6
shaniqua
Minion of Satan

... this post just screams STREET TEAM to me...

Old 11-05-2002, 10:45 PM   #7
palidor
Apocalyptic Poster

lol, i'm not on their street team.

i think "red colored stars" is probably the best song they've ever done.. it's a very solid album imo

Old 11-05-2002, 11:33 PM   #8
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower
fixed
I felt like a sicko punching a baby the last time I listened to Ours. Sick fuck. The liner notes should have read "THX 2 JEFF 4 DYING ".

Old 11-06-2002, 02:06 AM   #9
Lie
Socialphobic

I wholeheartedly challenge any of you people to go see this band live. Then maybe we can talk.

Old 11-06-2002, 08:30 AM   #10
The Gaddrow
Minion of Satan

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
I wholeheartedly challenge any of you people to go see this band live. Then maybe we can talk.
Amen, sista.

Old 11-06-2002, 12:48 PM   #11
Jesse Miller
Ownz

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
How will you reimburse me for my wasted time? The only thing I got when I saw Travis and Remy Zero was bored.

Old 11-06-2002, 01:39 PM   #12
DeviousJ
CORNFROST

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Miller
when I saw Travis
Dude, ouch.

Old 11-06-2002, 07:36 PM   #13
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Graveflower
That "see them live" argument is always bullshit. Bad songs remain bad no matter what environment you hear them in.
Mmm, I was half-expecting that. Your mistake is in assuming that I'm even using the traditional "see them live" argument as a method for getting people to like a band. I have no argument with you, Mr. Casey. The rest of this is not directed towards you, but generally toward most of the replies in this thread.

I couldn't care less whether people like this band or not. The reason I said to see them live is because of the Jeff Buckley thing. Jimmy Gnecco is, just physically speaking, a strange, strange man, who often looks and sounds uncannily like Jeff Buckley, both in live performance and in person, and when you see this, it becomes obvious that whatever similarity he bears to the dead man is no doing of his own. He's been getting shit since the first album came out over being a shameless Jeff Buckley ripoff. How easy exactly do you think it is to rip off Jeff Buckley, in terms of voice and stage presence? Ours' actual musical style, while it has evolved since they began as a band, hasn't actually changed much in terms of what they've been trying to do musically since their self-released 1992 album Sour. This was released before Jeff Buckley had even begun his solo career and before Jimmy Gnecco would have even had a chance to have heard of him. Since then the band's sound has improved, their songs have become less epic and simpler in terms of structure, and rhythmically speaking there has been a change which may or may not have been influenced by Jeff Buckley. Is this a sin? If you want to hear a real Jeff Buckley ripoff band download some Citrus, or AwRY (not sure I capitalized the right letters there ). As far as Ours goes what we're dealing with is a haunting similarity in terms of actual voice and stage presence, which Jimmy Gnecco constantly gets shit for from Buckley fans even though it's the aspect of his musicianship that he can help the least. I've run into plenty of people who have bad things to say about Ours before they've even heard anything by the band simply because they've heard the Jeff Buckley comparison.

The Radiohead thing I simply don't get. Anyone who goes back to that over and over again is obviously not aware that A) plenty of modern rock bands sound something like Radiohead these days, some of this not even being due to direct influence and B) Ours sounds much less like Radiohead than a whole slew of new British rock bands, but seems to get more shit than any of them on Netphoria, very little of which is actual specific, grounded criticism.

As I mentioned before, there are plenty of other bands that are obvious Jeff Buckley ripoffs. Ours isn't one of them. However, because they offer a more haunting real similarity to Jeff Buckley that has very little to do with the actual influence, and maybe from time to time unexpectedly send shivers down the spine of an adament Buckley fan, there's an embarrassment factor there that causes them to be berated on these terms. This doesn't seem fair to me. There is plenty of legitimate criticism to be given, but crying blasphemy because you got a little sensitive is just immature. If you don't like the music you don't like it, you can criticize it on whatever terms you want, but playing the Jeff Buckley/Radiohead card over and over again is old and just dumb at this point.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:19 PM   #14
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

Oh Jesus, why did you have to mention Citrus. *cries and shudders*

Old 11-06-2002, 09:24 PM   #15
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

I say he crops his hair off so he doesn't look like Mr. Buckley so much. Though I don't think Jimmy looks like him unless he blurs videos to make it indistinguishable . But I'm sure that was ENTIRELY coincidental. Really. That being said, it's not old or dumb to compare when the comparison is valid. I haven't heard pre-Lullabies Ours b/c I haven't seen any releases that early. And that's their problem for having a release several years after Grace that sounds VERY Gracey (yet not nearly as high quality) and wondering why they get slagged.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:33 PM   #16
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally posted by Undone
I say he crops his hair off so he doesn't look like Mr. Buckley so much. Though I don't think Jimmy looks like him unless he blurs videos to make it indistinguishable . But I'm sure that was ENTIRELY coincidental. Really. That being said, it's not old or dumb to compare when the comparison is valid. I haven't heard pre-Lullabies Ours b/c I haven't seen any releases that early. And that's their problem for having a release several years after Grace that sounds VERY Gracey (yet not nearly as high quality) and wondering why they get slagged.
I don't think they wonder why they get slagged. And I think they deal with it in a very gracious manner when it does happen. And no, I don't think it's their problem having a release several years after Grace that happens to be successful and happens to sound like Jeff Buckley. The style that they play in and that Jimmy Gnecco sings in is obviously well-suited to them. What's more, I think it takes guts to come out with that kind of release knowing it's going to get slashed apart from every which direction and knowing that may have been part of the reason they got the record deal in the first place. I wasn't questioning whether the comparison was valid or not, I think it is, I was saying that usually when it is made, it's made in bad taste.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:48 PM   #17
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
I wasn't questioning whether the comparison was valid or not, I think it is, I was saying that usually when it is made, it's made in bad taste.
Eh, I think their band is in bad taste. A song called "Drowning" doesn't help.

Old 11-06-2002, 11:50 PM   #18
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

Wink

But at the VERY least, you no longer believe them to be the same person.

Right?

Old 11-07-2002, 12:01 AM   #19
Lie
Socialphobic

Talking

Scenario:

Jeff Buckley Fan A stumbles upon a copy of Distorted Lullabies, by complete accident, of course.

JB Fan A: Hmm, this sounds kind of dark, kind of gothy, I dunno...wait, that sounds like Mr. Buckley! Oh my! Oh dear! That sounds so much like the man himself that I'm beginning to wet myself! Whatever shall I do? Oh no, I mean, hey, you know, this guy has quite a voice. And this song isn't bad, I mean, it's making me feel all nostalgic and whatnot, you know.

Jeff Buckley Fan A continues to listen to the album, but it makes him uncomfortable. He doesn't know quite what to make of it.

JB Fan A: Well, gee, now that I'm all choked up and confused I don't know what to think. Especially since it's not too long after Mr. Buckley's death, I mean, it seems sort of like sacrilege, you know? And by God it is! No one should sound like Jeff! Aw, I see! He thinks he's going to be the next Jeff Buckley, as if such a thing were even possible! Oh, the nerve! Oooh, it makes me so angry!

JB Fan B: Hey man, what's up?

JB Fan A: Oh, hey how are you, dude?

JB Fan B: I'm all right. Hey, you look a little worked up? Is everything all right?

JB Fan A: Oh, fine, fine. I'm cool. How about you?

JB Fan B: Oh, I'm good. Hey, have you heard about this band Ours?

JB Fan A: Yeah man, isn't it great? I mean, um, isn't it kinda great in a freaky way? Like, people think this band is so great, and um, they're not! You know?

JB Fan B: Yeah, like the nerve of this guy! He thinks he sounds exactly like Jeff Buckley, and, um, he does! And he thinks that he can get away with it! And he probably thinks he's like so great and everything, and, um, he's not!

JB Fan A: Yeah, plus, the sound is like all mainstream and overproduced and shit. And that band is like all goth and trendy and like, people like them!

JB Fan B: Yeah, they're so ignorant and unsophisticated. Not like us.

JB Fan A: Man, I'm glad I don't like that band, because that would be embarrassing.

JB Fan B: Yeah, man, my face is turning red just thinking about it.

JB Fan A: I mean, what if you happened to be listening to this band and thought for a moment, like you just forgot it was them and thought it was Jeff, I mean, that would be so embarrassing. Umm....I mean, I'm not saying it's ever happened to me, but that would be so fucking embarrassing.

JB Fan B: Yeah. The nerve.

JB Fan A: Who cares if his voice is naturally like that?! He should have his vocal chords cut out and altered to save himself and the rest of us the embarrassment!

JB Fan B: Yeah! No one should ever sound like Jeff!

JB Fan A: Dude, it makes me so upset I just might cry.

JB Fan B: But, dude, you never cry!

JB Fan A: I know, dude, but I was just thinking of that one song where he does that thing like Jeff, you know, that sounds like Jeff, and man, it just makes me so angry!

JB Fan B: Oh, well, you know, I don't know which song you mean, because I haven't heard any of this band's music anyway, but dude, I'm starting to get angry too!

JB Fan A: It's so fucking inhuman! It's like...so unsophisticated!

JB Fan B: And dude, we are sophisticated.

JB Fan A: Of course we are. We listen to Jeff.

JB Fan B: Man, I need to calm down. Let's go listen to Rufus Wainwright's cover of Hallelujah.

JB Fan A: Okay, man. And remember, the Jeff tribute downtown next week, we ain't gonna miss that.

JB Fan B: Oh, no way, dude. Man, I love Rufus.

JB Fan A: Yeah, like he's all jazzy and shit.

JB Fan B: And like, he RESPECTS Jeff. He had enough respect for that man to not be born with a voice like his. Now that's RESPECT.

JB Fan A: I hear you, dude. Loud and clear.

Old 11-07-2002, 12:02 AM   #20
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
Eh, I think their band is in bad taste. A song called "Drowning" doesn't help.
So they should name the song something different and change their sound to get people off their backs?

Old 11-07-2002, 12:03 AM   #21
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
But at the VERY least, you no longer believe them to be the same person.

Right?
I fail to see (and I'm dead serious about this) what that has to do with anything.

Old 11-07-2002, 01:13 PM   #22
Jesse Miller
Ownz

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie

The Radiohead thing I simply don't get. Anyone who goes back to that over and over again is obviously not aware that A) plenty of modern rock bands sound something like Radiohead these days, some of this not even being due to direct influence and B) Ours sounds much less like Radiohead than a whole slew of new British rock bands, but seems to get more shit than any of them on Netphoria, very little of which is actual specific, grounded criticism.
A) I know, I mock them too.
B) I still enjoy mocking Ours.

Old 11-07-2002, 05:23 PM   #23
Lie
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesse Miller

A) I know, I mock them too.
B) I still enjoy mocking Ours.

Old 11-07-2002, 06:52 PM   #24
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

THE NAME OF THE SONG IS DROWNING. It's not a style. It's a song name. It is distasteful in context. And your story was cute but eh. I simply don't like them. I think they're disgusting. I don't care if the album was recorded with a 4 track and never produced past that, it has nothing to do with production or what is mainstream.

And you're right about RH; they shouldn't even be mentioned. Everything sounds like the Bends.

Old 11-07-2002, 06:52 PM   #25
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie

I fail to see (and I'm dead serious about this) what that has to do with anything.
You still do believe it! I knew it!!! LOL LOL LOL

Old 11-07-2002, 06:54 PM   #26
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Lie
I don't think they wonder why they get slagged. And I think they deal with it in a very graceous manner when it does happen.

Old 11-07-2002, 07:00 PM   #27
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:

You still do believe it! I knew it!!! LOL LOL LOL
No, actually I don't. But if I did tell you what I really do believe it would completely discredit me in your eyes and other peoples' eyes in more ways than one. This is Netphoria. I'm not stupid.

Old 11-07-2002, 07:10 PM   #28
Lie
Socialphobic

Quote:
THE NAME OF THE SONG IS DROWNING. It's not a style. It's a song name. It is distasteful in context. And your story was cute but eh. I simply don't like them. I think they're disgusting. I don't care if the album was recorded with a 4 track and never produced past that, it has nothing to do with production or what is mainstream.

And you're right about RH; they shouldn't even be mentioned. Everything sounds like the Bends.
Disgusting? Don't you think that's taking it a bit too far? No, it's not a musical style, but after meeting the band and hearing them answer questions about exactly how they handled the whole Jeff Buckley thing and what their take on it was, I'm certain it wasn't meant to be offensive, and to me that's all that matters. Furthermore, a band should be able to name their songs whatever they like.

If I'm recalling correctly, your opinion on this subject matter has changed quite a bit just recently. I remember that you liked Ours quite a lot at first. How does music that you once genuinely enjoyed, in any context, go from that to being disgusting?

Like I said several times, I couldn't give a shit whether people like Ours or not, and I myself don't care for their new album much, but I think it's unfortunate that they get a lot of ignorant, mindless (I can't call it criticism) crap thrown their way, that, from Jeff Buckley fans in particular, seems very hostile, very unfounded, and unfairly judgmental.

Old 11-07-2002, 07:12 PM   #29
Lie
Socialphobic

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by me
Sweetie, you have no idea how often I play these little games with myself and no one is kind enough to notice.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:17 PM   #30
Undone
Apocalyptic Poster

If it has anything to do with the transfer of energy or a similar theory, I would be interested in reading it. If it doesn't, heck, I'm still interested. If I make fun of you it's exactly that, in good fun. You're one of the few people whose posts I really like to read on here, and you know I enjoy bashing Ours just like everyone else. You're correct, I did like them at first, but I think it was that initial emotional association thing. I still like a few songs (especially Here is the Light), but the last time I listened to the album I simply felt ill.