Old 04-09-2002, 03:42 PM   #31
Blue*Carbonite

my bad, homie g funk

Old 04-09-2002, 04:19 PM   #32
tweedyburd

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by doctor gonzo:

if you want to see SK movies that really do the books justice see The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, and The Dark Half, and Misery.

Hello, Stand By Me?

Old 04-09-2002, 04:25 PM   #33
doctor gonzo

yes?

it did the novella justice. though the ending was a bit different. it's been about 12 years or so since i've seen/read it, but from what i can recall, it's a pretty faithful adaption of King's story.

oh, and while i'm thinking about it, the movie version of Apt Pupil is the biggest rape of a fantastic King story ever. i'll never forgive Bryan Singer for that one. anyone who's never read the original story is REALLY missing out.

[This message has been edited by doctor gonzo (edited 04-09-2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 04:46 PM   #34
tweedyburd

Arrow

Yeah, it was a bit different, in that it didn't shoot back into the present with as much description at the end. But then, Shawshank was also treated differently at the end of the film than it was in the novella. The novella leaves the reader with an open ending, ambiguous as to whether Red will find Andy or that he'll even make it across the border.

Old 04-09-2002, 04:46 PM   #35
The Patient

i can't believe i read the whole thing.

i remember the day i finished reading it was the day of the columbine massacre

Old 04-09-2002, 04:53 PM   #36
doctor gonzo

Quote:
Originally posted by tweedyburd:
Yeah, it was a bit different, in that it didn't shoot back into the present with as much description at the end. But then, Shawshank was also treated differently at the end of the film than it was in the novella. The novella leaves the reader with an open ending, ambiguous as to whether Red will find Andy or that he'll even make it across the border.
yeah. Shawshank just ended with the "i hope" line. i think he made it, though. after all that, they deserve the happy ending.

hhhmmm....i may have to watch that tonite, now.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:06 PM   #37
Blue*Carbonite

apt pupil was horrible. i was so psyched when i heard that it was coming out, i went and saw it, jesus what a travesty. i guess i understand because the book got pretty explicit.

anyone ever read Gerald's Game, i think it was called? very deep and a really good one, but it never got very popular. That's one that could NEVER be a movie, because the whole movie would basically be about some chick naked and handcuffed.

------------------
I will never feed off the evergreen luster of your heart all because we all live in the valley of the walls when we speak we can peak from the windows of their mouths to see the land the women chant as they fly up to the sun

[This message has been edited by Blue*Carbonite (edited 04-09-2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 05:10 PM   #38
The Patient

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue*Carbonite:
apt pupil was horrible. i was so psyched when i heard that it was coming out, i went and saw it, jesus what a travesty. i guess i understand because the book got pretty explicit.

you're right. the book was good but the movie was just stupid. sucks though, it could've been good.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:15 PM   #39
doctor gonzo

i could have forgiven the hack job they did on Apt Pupil if only they had left the ending alone. without that ending, everything else fizzles out.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:21 PM   #40
doctor gonzo

Lightbulb

you know what? i'm sitting here remembering how they changed the whole cat(s) thing, and how Dussander ended up offing bums left and right, and how bullshit that whole ending-up-in-the-hospital-next-to-a-Holocaust-survivor-you-tortured thing was, that even if they left the ending as it was in the book, i still couldn't forgive it.

but i'm not bitter.

Old 04-09-2002, 05:40 PM   #41
Blue*Carbonite

yeah they totally fucked up the ending.

and hearts in atlantis..communist spies? what a load of bullshit. they butchered the best past of the book, the movie sucked even if they DID get anthony hopkins to play what's-his-name, although i have to admit he played him well.
but i'm just merely ranting now.

------------------
I will never feed off the evergreen luster of your heart all because we all live in the valley of the walls when we speak we can peak from the windows of their mouths to see the land the women chant as they fly up to the sun

Old 04-10-2002, 08:35 AM   #42
Cactuar

Apt pupil is one of my favourite King stories, and the movie fucking sucked.

AND IT HAD ROSS FROM FRIENDS IN IT OMGWTFBBQ