Old 04-09-2002, 01:47 PM   #2
Blue*Carbonite

make sure and read the un-abridged version..TONS better

Old 04-09-2002, 01:49 PM   #3
Blue*Carbonite

and don't watch the horrid made-for-tv movie

Old 04-09-2002, 01:51 PM   #4
Blue*Carbonite

AND if you read any of Stephen King's other earlier books, notice how the antagonist is always initialed R.F.

i *heart* stephen king

[This message has been edited by Blue*Carbonite (edited 04-09-2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 01:56 PM   #5
Cactuar

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue*Carbonite:
make sure and read the un-abridged version..TONS better
That's what I read.

Old 04-09-2002, 01:58 PM   #6
Blue*Carbonite

Are you a big S.K. fan? i've read all his books except for his newest collection of short stories

------------------
It's really not so bad, you know, once you get past the taste.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
Debaser

Quote:
watched the movie. Then read the book. Liked the movie better.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:05 PM   #8
Debaser

stephen king = good stories, bad bad writing style

i've read a lot of stephen king and it sucks how much pure pulp and extra unecessary crap he throws into his books. he must be paid by the word, jesus. its always a breath of fresh air whenever i finish a king book and then read somebody else like Crichton. If King were an effiecient writer, his books would all be 1/3 the size.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
Blue*Carbonite

YOU'RE A FREAK! the movie didn't cover NEAR as much as the book, but that's to be expected. They chopped it all to pieces to make it hella shorter.

A S.K. movie that compliments the book (well short story) well.. Needful Things or Shawshank Redemption.

The hearts in atlantis movie was AWFUL compared.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:08 PM   #10
Blue*Carbonite

Quote:
Originally posted by Debaser:

i've read a lot of stephen king and it sucks how much pure pulp and extra unecessary crap he throws into his books. he must be paid by the word, jesus. its always a breath of fresh air whenever i finish a king book and then read somebody else like Crichton. If King were an effiecient writer, his books would all be 1/3 the size.
*cringes* it's the extra crap that makes his books so good. Crichton is very good, too, though. Sorry, i'm having a brain fart...didn't he wrie Sphere? now THAT was a horrid adaptation to a movie. although seeing queen latifa getting mauled by giant jellyfish was pretty satisfying.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:10 PM   #11
Cactuar

Quote:
Are you a big S.K. fan? i've read all his books except for his newest collection of short stories http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif

Getting there. I've read Carrie, Salems lot, the dead zone, the stand, insomniac, desperation, the regulators, and a few others i can't remember.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:11 PM   #12
Blue*Carbonite

The dark tower series is, I.M.O., his best work eva. i am so stoked about the dark tower 5.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:15 PM   #13
doctor gonzo

Lightbulb

the book version of the Stand is so much better than the movie, it's not even funny. the ONLY things the movie had going for it were Gary Sinise and that dude from Coach who played Tom. Randall Flagg looked like a goon.

King's earlier books are much better than his newer stuff, in my opinion. from The Tommyknockers on, it gets kind of lacking. i just remember that after that book came out, he started to practically vomit books out every couple of months (though there are some good ones in there....The Green Mile series being one of them....Hearts In Atlantis was a great book, too).

try Salem's Lot or The Dead Zone. those are two of my all time favorite King books. The Shining's really good, too. and It was awesome (movie sucked balls, though). also, Misery was phenomenal....i read it in an afternoon.

if you want to see SK movies that really do the books justice see The Shawshank Redemption, Stand By Me, The Green Mile, and The Dark Half, and Misery. they're all pretty much page for page.

oh, and read The Talisman, too. fucking great book.

-doc.

------------------
www.nevercrashnow.com

[This message has been edited by doctor gonzo (edited 04-09-2002).]

Old 04-09-2002, 02:21 PM   #14
Debaser

Quote:
*cringes* it's the extra crap that makes his books so good. Crichton is very good, too, though. Sorry, i'm having a brain fart...didn't he wrie Sphere? now THAT was a horrid adaptation to a movie. although seeing queen latifa getting mauled by giant jellyfish was pretty satisfying.

well its cool you like king. But for me it becomes a chore after awhile to read all this super super decriptive stuff and ********** stories and sidetracks that really don't have anything to do with the plot...argh. Hypothetical analogy situation: one writer would just write something like "there's a desk in the corner of the room", and Stephen King would write "there's a desk in the corner of the room..." -and then go on for 5 pages about this stupid desk and its history and then segway into another sidestory about the desk and...arrrgh!!! get on with the story I would be screaming by now...

Old 04-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #15
Blue*Carbonite

doc gonzo, ever read Black House, follow-up to the talisman? very very good.

THIS IS MY 3000TH POST AND I SO WASTED IT

------------------
I will never feed off the evergreen luster of your heart all because we all live in the valley of the walls when we speak we can peak from the windows of their mouths to see the land the women chant as they fly up to the sun

Old 04-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #16
doctor gonzo

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Cactuar:
Laws, yes.
M-O-O-N. that spells "Tom".
http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

Old 04-09-2002, 02:24 PM   #17
Debaser

The Green Mile fucking sucked. Both the movie and the serial novels. Bo-ring.

And which Shining movie was better? The scary Kubrick movie or the booooorinng and very faithful adaptation tv miniseries that king oversaw himself?

Old 04-09-2002, 02:25 PM   #18
doctor gonzo

Quote:
doc gonzo, ever read Black House, follow-up to the talisman? very very good.

THIS IS MY 3000TH POST AND I SO WASTED IT

i have it sitting on a stack of "to-read" books. i've heard good and bad about it, but i'm expecting it to be pretty kick ass.
guess i'll find out soon enough....

Old 04-09-2002, 02:28 PM   #19
doctor gonzo

Quote:
The Green Mile fucking sucked. Both the movie and the serial novels. Bo-ring.

And which Shining movie was better? The scary Kubrick movie or the booooorinng and very faithful adaptation tv miniseries that king oversaw himself?
Green Mile was great. both the book and the movie. i don't know why it gets so much flack. it's a good story, lots of emotion, a hint of the supernatural. but hey, to each his own.

to be honest, i enjoyed both movie versions of The Shining. but if i had to pick one, Kubrick wins every day of the week and twice on sunday.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:29 PM   #20
Blue*Carbonite

Quote:

KUBRICK, even thoguh the olive oil bitch was in it

------------------
I will never feed off the evergreen luster of your heart all because we all live in the valley of the walls when we speak we can peak from the windows of their mouths to see the land the women chant as they fly up to the sun

Old 04-09-2002, 02:31 PM   #21
doctor gonzo

Talking

Quote:
KUBRICK, even thoguh the olive oil bitch was in it

awww, she was awesome!

Old 04-09-2002, 02:32 PM   #22
Random Female

Thumbs up

Quote:

*applause*
i can't believe I wasted so much time reading the Stand. a friend prodded me into reading it.

Old 04-09-2002, 02:33 PM   #23
Blue*Carbonite

no way, she's an awful actress!

Old 04-09-2002, 02:36 PM   #24
doctor gonzo

Wink

is not!

Old 04-09-2002, 03:09 PM   #25
El Scorcho

I love Stephen King too. http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/smile.gif Have you got the Blood and Smoke audio books yet? It's awesome. The box is designed like a pack of Marlboro Reds and opens like a cig pack.

Old 04-09-2002, 03:10 PM   #26
doctor gonzo

Red face

haven't even heard of it.
is it just an audio book, or are there print versions available, too?

Old 04-09-2002, 03:15 PM   #27
El Scorcho

I know at least two of them are in Everything's Eventual, his new collection of short stories. That's the thing about King...he'll say "This isn't being released in any other form" like Everything's Eventual and Riding the Bullet, but then he'll put it in a goddamn book and I'll look stupid for having bought that F13 computer program so I could read a story...*deep breath*

Old 04-09-2002, 03:29 PM   #28
Blue*Carbonite

Wow, you must been the only person to have actually paid for it..wait, didn't it cost something, or am i mistaken?

and gonzo..IS SO TIMES INFINITY!!

------------------

Old 04-09-2002, 03:30 PM   #29
doctor gonzo

http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/biggrin.gif

we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, i think....

Old 04-09-2002, 03:38 PM   #30
melancholia

Quote:
it was bad, but it wasn't made-for-tv bad...