Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2009, 01:17 PM   #91
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

Are you kidding me?
Jeter is really looking old?

I don't think you've watched any of the yankees games this year.
He's having one of his best April's in years at the plate, hitting 300 with 4hrs and 3 sbs already.
Not to mention he's been extremely clutch too, same as usual.

You can't say the Red Sox would be the same team offensively right now if someone like Youkilis was hurt so your A-rod comment is pretty stupid.

Papi looks just as done at the plate as Matsui.

You really can't sit there and tell me that the Red Sox would be as good as they are right now if they had even close to the same injury problems we are having right now.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:22 PM   #92
hnibos
Braindead

Jeter should be a first basemen or something, but yea his hitting hasnt fallen off.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #93
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
Are you kidding me?
Jeter is really looking old?

I don't think you've watched any of the yankees games this year.
He's having one of his best April's in years at the plate, hitting 300 with 4hrs and 3 sbs already.
Not to mention he's been extremely clutch too, same as usual.

You can't say the Red Sox would be the same team offensively right now if someone like Youkilis was hurt so your A-rod comment is pretty stupid.

Papi looks just as done at the plate as Matsui.

You really can't sit there and tell me that the Red Sox would be as good as they are right now if they had even close to the same injury problems we are having right now.
I didn't say he is hitting poorly, I said he's looking old. He appears to be slower by a step and his defensive range appears to be less than normal (which is subpar to begin with).

ARod makes them a far better team, but my point is the lack of depth. You have Cashman build a $200m team and end up with guys who can't throw the ball across the infield on a line. Giardi makes me happy though by playing Berroa instead of Pena, a far superior player.

Papi is very much done, yes.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 PM   #94
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: We got it like three quarters of the way in whilst on vacation last week. Minor success. Unfortunately she is leaving for England in a couple of days.

Everyone is going nuts over this sweep and making such a big deal out of it like the Red Sox are the best team in baseball because they have this winning streak going.

Where were you guys a week and a half ago when they were 2-6?

There is still way too much baseball to be played, we're getting A-rod back soon so Swisher won't be hitting 4th.
Wang will straighten himself out.
Sabathia will straighten himself out.
Nady is supposed to be back in a couple of months.
Hughes will be our 5th starter and Joba will be moved to the pen as our 8th inning guy.

With Joba in our pen we have the best 1-2 punch IN ALL of baseball.
I'm not going crazy over this right now because it's way too early, this is still a very very good team when people are healthy, (we went into the Boston series with a HUGE win) and things are still very fixable.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #95
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Have I mentioned anywhere in here how the Red Sox are the greatest team in baseball? My posts have all been about a badly built Yankee team. I am fully aware Boston has offensive issues.

But, I question Wang's longterm health. I question Hughes changeup being good enough to pitch in MLB at this time. Sabathia will put up good numbers, but he won't get to work as deep in games as some anticipated probably.

You make my point re: Joba. Cashman spent a bazillion dollars and resigned Marte for THREE YEARS without doing anything to reconstruct a bullpen worth a damn. They had Brueny all alone as an eighth inning guy with no backup plan? That's why I say it's a badly built team. They have this young guy with tremendous stuff and in two years have really no idea what to do with him.

Boston's just deeper, especially in terms of pitching. I mean, fuck, New York's bullpen ERA is in the high 6's!

Old 04-27-2009, 02:13 PM   #96
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

Everyone is making such a big deal about the Red Sox depth, when the only guy that's injured right now is Matsuzaka.

big whoop.

This isn't a badly built team, it's a team RIDDLED with injuries to key players.
Any team that lost their cleanup hitter, #2 starter, set up man, as well as a starting outfielder that was expected to play everyday, hit 300, and 20 hrs
WOULD be struggling right now.

AND YET we're still a 500 team, and that AMAZING Red Sox team that everybody is s-ing their d's right now is only 3 games ahead of us.

Wakefield and Penny are pitching over their heads and I'm not exactly ready to give Masterson a Cy Young after 100 big league innings.
There is no guarantee that Smoltz is going to be the same pitcher he was after shoulder surgery.

Last edited by Gossamer : 04-27-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #97
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

I'm not arguing with you that the Yankees spend their money poorly, I'm arguing with you because youre already discounting them after 18 games when they're missing 4 KEY players to injury.

No team has the depth to replace A-rod, Wang, Bruney, and Nady.
End of story.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM   #98
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

I'm not discounting them at all - I think they still finish with at least 92 wins.

They're going to have to be retooled to get there. And probably a new manager.

In the wings, Boston has Smoltz, Bucholz, Bowden and Masterson (currently pitching in place of The Asian Who Once Could Pitch). That's four backup starters who are no worse than No. 4 guys. And they call nearly all go in the pen if any one of their three closers goes down (Paps, Saito and Oki to an extent). That's my point there - but that argument can go on and on and both of us would say the same thing we've all said for four years now.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #99
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
It's painfully obvious they need somebody else in the bullpen, and as much as I want Joba to be a starter because I value great starting pitchers over great relievers, I think they need to make a change and put Joba back in as the 8th inning guy.

Now that Bruney is hurt we have literally NO ONE in the bullpen other than Mo that I trust in a big spot or a close game.

It's funny but Wang's injury and rough few starts really makes this an even tougher decision because we already have Hughes in the rotation in his absence.

I think if Wang comes back and is back to his old self, and Hughes gives us decent 5th starter esque outings, they will move Joba back to the pen.

The injury bug is really fucking us over this year.
We'd easily be the best team in baseball if A-rod and Wang were healthy.

The sweep this weekend was disheartening but whatever, I don't think you can really compare either team right now because the Red Sox were just beating up on an already beaten up team.

I'd like to see them try and sweep the yanks in a few months when Sabathia has gotten going, Wang is healthy, Joba is in the pen, and Angel Berroa isn't our starting third baseman.
Joba should not be in the pen. You know what's amazing is that two of the last few blown leads have both been in games that Joba started and was effective, giving up 1 or 2 runs.

You do not want to groom a possible stud SP to be a setup man. It's just stupid. People need to stop suggesting this.

Why no suggestions to move AJ Burnett to the pen?

Old 04-27-2009, 03:57 PM   #100
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppunk View Post
But Wang is old(er) and trying to come back from an injury that's ended many careers.
He just turned 29, and the injury to his foot hasn't "ended many careers."
Quote:
rom all accounts, he's one dumb bitch too so it won't be easy for the Yankees to understand what's going on with him.
what accounts are these exactly except Sully yelling that he's a dumb bitch at Fenway
Quote:
I'm not sure he can just magically come back and get by on a slider that is so dependent on that injured foot.
His slider is fine and the foot is fine. The problem was he was overcompensating with his hip and the problem pitch was the sinker. You really haven't been paying much attention I suppose.
Quote:
Rivera's not lasting forever, and he doesn't appear to have much stuff so far. Early season rust? Probably, but again he's been around a long time and pitched a tremendous amount of pressure innings in his career.
Please tell me you're judging this one the ONE FUCKING GAME you saw because he's been lights out all season and all spring.
[quote=sppunk;3478757
They're going to have to be retooled to get there. And probably a new manager.
[/QUOTE]Why in the hell would they need a new manager? Wtf?
Quote:
In the wings, Boston has Smoltz, Bucholz, Bowden and Masterson (currently pitching in place of The Asian Who Once Could Pitch). That's four backup starters who are no worse than No. 4 guys. And they call nearly all go in the pen if any one of their three closers goes down (Paps, Saito and Oki to an extent). That's my point there - but that argument can go on and on and both of us would say the same thing we've all said for four years now.
Can I ask how you're touting this huge depth when Smoltz is a broken down has been, and Buchholz (learn to spell your own players names plz) was injured and coupld take over for Dice-K? You make it sound like the Yankees couldn't put Hughes in their bullpen if they needed to and that only the Red Sox can do that.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:23 PM   #101
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Why did I write slider for Wang? Argh, should have proofread (ditto for Buchholz, I also do that shit with him). I'm sure his hip issue came about from his initial foot injury - overcompensating placing more pressure on his hip without realizing it. That injury is bad, dude. Baseball Prospectus at the time it happened had a detailed story of how devastating it could be (his was diagnosed as not being as severe).

Riviera's pitched well but I've seen him pitch three times and his stuff appeared flatter than normal. Especially Friday when he gave up probably the hardest hits I've ever seen him surrender. I love Rivera though and will miss him when he retires. It amazes me a guy in NY can play as long as he has and been as great as him yet no one really knows anything about it off the field. That's incredibly.

Re: Giardi - I just think he's a pretty bad manager. Case in point is not playing Pena and not calling time when Elsbury was halfway down the line.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #102
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
Joba should not be in the pen. You know what's amazing is that two of the last few blown leads have both been in games that Joba started and was effective, giving up 1 or 2 runs.

You do not want to groom a possible stud SP to be a setup man. It's just stupid. People need to stop suggesting this.

Why no suggestions to move AJ Burnett to the pen?
I agree with this - they decided on Joba to start so by God let him start. Sure they have no one in the 8th to trust right now, but Joba's prepared to start and you can't keep shuffling him around. He already needs to get his velocity up again and pitches to break to be effective and moving him back to the pen won't help him much imo.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:27 PM   #103
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

But, hey, how about those Washington Nationals?

Would it be too early to move them to Vegas?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #104
Nimrod's Son

They need an AL team in Vegas. The west is too packed with NL teams.

Oh! Move the brewers to the AL Central and move the Nats/Marlins to Vegas!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #105
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
They need an AL team in Vegas. The west is too packed with NL teams.

Oh! Move the brewers to the AL Central and move the Nats/Marlins to Vegas!
But Vegas has Oakland! They should contract the Florida experiment (both teams) and add a team in San Antonio.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:53 PM   #106
Nimrod's Son

Move the Marlins to Portland and the Rays to Vegas.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:01 PM   #107
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Could Portland sustain a MLB team? I don't know much about the market there.

San Antonio I think could - it's what the 6th biggest city in the U.S. now or some shit.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 PM   #108
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

yeah but i don't think we care

there was a thing about the marlins or the padres moving here and there was a huge collective so what

we also have a bottom 50 market

Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #109
Trotskilicious
Banned

all san antonio wants is an NFL team

Old 04-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #110
Nimrod's Son

I think Portland could. It's a fast growing city.

San Antonio? No, there are already two teams in Texas and it would dillute the fan base too much.

Let's put a NL team in Boston first.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #111
Trotskilicious
Banned

texas is not exactly baseball crazy. houston, yes. but the rangers...

Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM   #112
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
I think Portland could. It's a fast growing city.

San Antonio? No, there are already two teams in Texas and it would dillute the fan base too much.

Let's put a NL team in Boston first.
Not in Boston exactly, but put them in Portland, Maine (or even Nashua). New England can very easily handle a second team, especially if it's NL.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #113
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
all san antonio wants is an NFL team
That'd destroy the Cowboys. Jerry won't let it happen!

Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #114
Trotskilicious
Banned

good, fuck them.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 PM   #115
Trotskilicious
Banned

Quote:
Not in Boston exactly, but put them in Portland, Maine (or even Nashua).
this is insane

you're insane

Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #116
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Hey Yankee fans, what the hell's up with CC? Aside from him getting hit hard in Detroit right now I mean.

His K/BB ratio is truly terrible and he's not getting many swinging strikes. He had 12 k in 27 IP coming into tonight, so something is up with him. Is he hiding some injury problem? Even if rusty to start the season his stuff has been so overpowering he'd be striking out more guys you'd think.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #117
Nimrod's Son

Dude look at his stats from last April. He's never been a good early season pitcher. I know, I've had him on my fantasy team for a few years

Old 04-27-2009, 09:14 PM   #118
Gossamer
Apocalyptic Poster

He honestly didn't pitch a bad game tonight.

He had one bad inning basically.
I'm not concerned about him yet...

Old 04-27-2009, 09:17 PM   #119
Nimrod's Son

Including the bad inning, he's about to pitch a complete game 6 hitter with 7K so far.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:19 PM   #120
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
He honestly didn't pitch a bad game tonight.

He had one bad inning basically.
I'm not concerned about him yet...
He gave up 3 runs in that one, right?

It's nuts Verlander is shutting down that lineup. I hate that douche.

Re: Early troubles - even then though he was striking out guys at a much higher rate it seems (looking at past stats on bp).

He hasn't pitched poorly, just not getting the K's which is very unlike him and his stuff.