Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 AM   #1321
redbreegull
Just Hook it to My Veins!

the sex scenes in blue is the warmest color were carefully simulated though, whereas the sex scenes in love are actual sex

Old 01-23-2016, 02:24 AM   #1322
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

true. in both films the sex scenes are long winded and unusually explicit though, so that's why i made that comparison.

what'd you think about that one rbg? i wasn't even aware of its existence up until yesterday when i actively looked for great movies and read about it

Old 01-24-2016, 03:27 AM   #1323
strokous
Pledge

The Revenant - A
Frank - B+

Old 01-24-2016, 06:11 AM   #1324
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

The Visit. I actually love his twists and never see them coming, but everything else about his films is so shitty, especially the endings. It's a shame really. Maybe he needs to collaborate with other writers a bit more.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:23 AM   #1325
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

When Animals Dream

B+

my kind of low fi horror movie.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:16 PM   #1326
buzzard
Minion of Satan

They've been showcasing Jarmusch's catalogue at a nearby museum, so I took the opportunity to see Dead Man on the silver screen. It's always been my favourite of his films and I was additionally pleased at how they really cranked the sound up for that score.

This sort of thing ought to happen more often.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:31 PM   #1327
strokous
Pledge

Sicario / A-
So much better than what i expected. The direction and score are fucking impeccable.

Old 01-31-2016, 12:40 AM   #1328
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

My list of Oscar will wins and should wins.

BEST PICTURE

Will and Should Win: The Revenant

BEST ACTOR

Will and Should Win: Leonardo DiCaprio

BEST ACTRESS

Will Win: Jennifer Lawrence

Should Win: Brie Larson

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR

Will Win: Fuck if I know. This category is tough this year...it honestly could go to everyone nominated. I'm gonna say Sylvester Stallone as a de facto Lifetime Achievement award or some shit.

Should win: Tom Hardy

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS

Will win: Kate Winslet (undeservedly; her performance in Steve Jobs was cartoonish and grossly overrated)

Should win: Alicia Vikander (though she should have been nominated for Ex Machina, not for The Danish Girl)

BEST DIRECTOR

Will win: Adam McKay

Should win: Alejandro G. Ińárritu (he won't win because he won last year: I doubt the Academy will honor him two years in a row.)

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Will win: Inside Out

Should win: Anomalisa

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Will and should win: Mad Max: Fury Road

Old 01-31-2016, 01:13 AM   #1329
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

no one cares

Old 02-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #1330
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

re: my previous post, , here's yet another movie review courtesy of the most haunted thread on the internet. i'm tehbolly and i'll be your host for this evening.

Upstream Color -

what a trainwreck of a movie. it's annoying to me because rottentomatoes used to be a site that i respected, but now the 90% ratings get tossed around much too easily.

to start from the upsides - i guess the movie IS sort of interesting. the whole film feels like a schizophrenic episode, and the plot is absolutely obtuse as fuck, much more so than any, say, david lynch film i've ever seen, and he's got a reputation for being too obscure.

and, to this film's credit, it managed to make me feel honestly uncomfortable around the first 30 minutes - and that rarely ever happens to me with movies anymore. really terrible stuff happening to the main character. but it all never comes to a resolve - it only continues to operate under its own inner logic, and just builds and builds on it until everything means jack shit anymore. i was begging for this to end at some point even though it's only 90 mins.

like, the easiet thing to do, is to be "Experimental" and just jack off on your own indulgence, but this movie doesn't even TRY to communicate. not a very rewarding experience.

in fact, i suspect that the actual director/writer/star/producer/editor/sounddesigner/waterboy who's responsible for this movie, is the one who wrote the plot synopsis on wikipedia. only a person who wrote that script for a few years could make all those connections

Old 02-12-2016, 12:22 AM   #1331
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

american hustle -

i love 70s mafia movies, as do many others, apparently, or there wouldnt be so goddamn many of them. i can't help but feel that in the end, though, all of them amount to being less perfect incarnations of goodfellas.

this one definitely shoots for that hallmark scorsese vibe - lots of prominent sunshine pop musical interludes, vibrant colors and soaring shots, cat and mouse type of deal, hell - it's even got de niro (albeit in a small, almost obligatory, role).

one review has said that it's impeccably cast, and i would totally agree. every character embodiment feels very natural and organic by the selection and performance of their respective actors. jennifer lawrence was notably out of her usual game and did a nice job. louie ck was also hilariously cast to a perfect role.

in general the movie is entertaining and fun, but the plot is rather muddy and gets hard to follow at one point, because of so many names and characters and manipulations going on. i later read that the director told christian bale that he doesn't care about plots, only characters - and that pretty much summarizes the faults of this movie for me.

with that said though, the characters ARE great. christian bale put on a pretty good performance. sometimes his boston accent goes very off, but when he does pull it off the overall impression is impressive. i kind of realized after this watching this movie, that christian bale is one of those very rare actors that i can truly say i feel like i have no idea who the "real" him is.
he's gone through so many phases and masks and characters, that now when i see his face in a movie i don't see "christian bale" anymore. there's not a specific gaze his eyes that defines him, or personal mannerisms that leak through to his characters - it all changes from movie to movie, and that's fucking admirable to have as an actor. btw, a good example of the exact opposite would be dicaprio, imo.

anyway, yeah. it is what it is. enjoyable overall.
tehbolly, out

Old 02-12-2016, 01:56 AM   #1332
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Deadpool

Yes, a lot of the humor was bit juvenile. Yes, it was a more than a bit sloppy and disjointed. But fuck it, I loved it. What I was most surprised by is how well the dramatic moments worked in the movie. When Wade discovers he's dying of cancer and the movie shifts from irreverent to serious, I was genuinely impressed by how seamless it was. If Ryan Reynolds (in a role that showcases his versatility as an actor) was any less talented, it wouldn't have worked. But I applaud him for a fantastic job as the title character. The humor was entertainingly meta without it feeling forced for the most part. Unpretentious, gut-bustingly hilarious, surprisingly touching, well-cast, and well-made. Go see it.

B+

Old 02-12-2016, 03:52 AM   #1333
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

what are you doing in my thread

u think u can just BARGE IN HERE?

Old 02-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #1334
Tchocky
Minion of Satan

Yes.

Old 02-14-2016, 11:34 PM   #1335
run2pee
Minion of Satan

The Revenant

A+

Me during it:

Woah that's pretty...oh OH NO...whew hmmm how gorgeous...OH NO! NO!...hmmm wow wierd, I feel funny...OH SHIT FUCK NO!!!

I can't remember ever being that stressed out by any movie. I was totally drained at the end. Not what I call "entertainment," but what a film. I can't believe he ate real liver for it.

Last edited by run2pee : 02-15-2016 at 01:53 AM.

Old 02-15-2016, 01:05 AM   #1336
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

i would eat a rectum if i was paid that much

Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #1337
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

hey hollybolly,
forgot to properly force you to watch this one - Mustang

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3966404/

you too, buzzling!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:36 PM   #1338
teh b0lly!!1
Braindead

looks great! thanks

Old 02-16-2016, 11:05 PM   #1339
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

The lost honour of Christopher Jeffries. A-, mostly for Jason Watkins.

Old 02-20-2016, 12:37 PM   #1340
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

The Green Inferno

B

Great example, though, of racist sploitation film making. not nearly as bloody as I had hoped. I may be giving it a better grade than it deserves since i finished watching it on my second bottle of red wine last night

Old 02-20-2016, 12:47 PM   #1341
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Mr Holmes

B+

Not quite what I was expecting. A little too cute for my tastes but well acted and interesting.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #1342
FoolofaTook

Watched this on the plane. What a great Holmes film. So many reversals of what one usually expects in Holmes: no Watson, Holmes as villain, Holmes as senile instead of Holmes as genius, etc. And Sir Ian has entered into an era of ultimate senescence.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:27 AM   #1343
FoolofaTook

weird scotty i posted that without reading ur post

sine? cosign?

tangent?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:28 AM   #1344
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh b0lly!!1 View Post
i would eat a rectum if i was paid that much
THATS WHAT...

o nvm.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #1345
FoolofaTook

and i would give holmes an A. but i am a baker street irregular and am in love with ian (see macbeth for further details)

Old 03-06-2016, 11:54 AM   #1346
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Saw Black Phillip last night it was pretty bitchin

Old 03-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #1347
buzzard
Minion of Satan

About an hour ago, I visited the café in which Francis Ford Coppola set up the following and sat at the very same table.

Much to my dismay, a fire extinguisher panel had been attached to the left of the mirror and thereby brought a sad end to my goal of shamelessly stealing his shot. Honestly, I'd much rather live in a marginally less safe world than put up with things such as this and the bright green emergency exit signs that always distract my eyes in cinemas.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #1348
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Fucken nobody else seen Black Phillip yet? Nobody wants to live deliciously?

Old 03-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #1349
killtrocity
Saturday Night Goth

Trumbo

B-

I enjoyed the political aspects although they were oversimplified or glossed over, and of course Bryan Cranston. Otherwise it was pretty boring

Old 03-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #1350
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

Freeheld

B

sappy and sentimental. you will cry or you are not a human.