Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > General Boards > General Chat Message Board
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Photo Album Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2017, 08:16 PM   #7651
buzzard
Apocalyptic Poster

Estrella Damm has no business being anybody's favorite beer.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #7652
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotskilicious View Post
and i don't care
Damn your feisty

sheesh.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:28 PM   #7653
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

Maybe you should smoke a cigarette, calm you're nerves.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM   #7654
Trotskilicious
Banned

Location: I believe in the transcendental qualities of friendship.

maybe you shouldn't fuck another man's wife

Old 04-06-2017, 10:08 PM   #7655
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

*fuck a woman who is committed to another man?

Old 04-10-2017, 03:37 PM   #7656
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

srsly. surprising to see that coming out of trots who talks down about men who diminish women and treat them as property.

but that is a very mannish quality, huh?- for one to criticize other mens' off-color behavior and comments towards and about women but not recognize their own minimization of them (and certainly not apologize for at least give a 'my bad, i see how that was wrong').

yet they all want to be the hero.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 04-10-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #7657
yo soy el mejor
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashingjj View Post
reminds me of a-kon sans costume.

also funny how they translated bonkers to bonzai.

Last edited by yo soy el mejor : 04-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #7658
reprise85
Submortal

Location: Now, I'm not a professional psychologist, but I am an amateur psychologist. And I think that your spontaneous eye-watering may have something to do with your father.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo soy el mejor View Post
srsly. surprising to see that coming out of trots who talks down about men who diminish women and treat them as property.

but that is a very mannish quality, huh?- for one to criticize other mens' off-color behavior and comments towards and about women but not recognize their own minimization of them (and certainly not apologize for at least give a 'my bad, i see how that was wrong').

yet they all want to be the hero.
eh, i think it's good to correct stuff like that but at the same time it doesn't necessarily mean someone is sexist. i still get the urge to call people retards and things like that, doesn't mean i'm a hypocrite. old patterns just die hard.

Old 04-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #7659
FoolofaTook
Socialphobic

'The pure give worship to the gods,
the passionate worship demons,
and men of darkness sacrfice
to ghosts and hordes of ancient shades.'

The Bhagavad Gita 17:4

Old 04-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #7660
Run To Me
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
'The pure give worship to the gods,
the passionate worship demons,
and men of darkness sacrfice
to ghosts and hordes of ancient shades.'

The Bhagavad Gita 17:4
See? Now here's something we can discus

Interesting that emotional folks are labeled worshippers of "demons," there; it's similar to what I learned growing up: to feel any emotion strongly, and to admit it, was weakness/folly, sin essentially

What's the role of emotion in krishna scripture have you learned it yet?

Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 PM   #7661
ohnoitsbonnie
sperzie ✩ bonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprise85 View Post
eh, i think it's good to correct stuff like that but at the same time it doesn't necessarily mean someone is sexist. i still get the urge to call people retards and things like that, doesn't mean i'm a hypocrite. old patterns just die hard.
Why trots originally said bothered me too. I think we're all victims of society in this way but what is important is correcting it. Although I don't know how someone could go around saying the n word or other such horrible things. Or how a person like belteshazzar exists.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:09 PM   #7662
reprise85
Submortal

remember, almost everyone thinks what they're doing is right and just. it's not as if belte knows what he's doing is shitty, it's that none of the rest of us understand

Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM   #7663
buzzard
Apocalyptic Poster

There seemed to be some level of awareness that might have been proportional to that of another person, but did not seem to take account of scope. It's as if he knew that he was 30% shitty, to use an arbitrary figure, but not that the underlying total would eclipse the cumulative shittiness of entire small towns.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:32 PM   #7664
buzzard
Apocalyptic Poster

Though, to be honest, he would just as often use whatever level of awareness he was blessed with as "proof" that he was ultimately good and just trying to survive through imperfection in an imperfect world, i.e. where he might simultaneously claim that homosexuals and ethnic minorities were content in their supposed wrongdoing.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:04 PM   #7665
ohnoitsbonnie
sperzie ✩ bonen

I wonder if he would be an apologist for what is going with Russia and murdering homosexuals. All of this Russia nonsense and his opinion on it would elicit blood pressure raising thruout thi s board for sure

Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 PM   #7666
buzzard
Apocalyptic Poster

We'll be watching lots of Russian New Year's tv too, and we always watch Putin's national New Year's address, haha.
- Belteshazzar, 28 December 2016.

Old 04-11-2017, 12:51 AM   #7667
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far

Some of the readings we did in my philosophy of mind course offered accounts of self-deception.

I dunno, Beltey and those who argue like he does are very disingenuous, and it's hard for me to believe that they don't know what they are doing when they engage in mental gymnastics and very poor argumentation. I think that some part of us recognizes when we engage in motivated reasoning and special pleading.

But they probably still see what they are doing as "correct" in the sense that their use of deception is justified so long as the cause is worthy (Beltey legit believes homosexuality is wrong, but knows that, say, his arguments that gay parents produce negative outcomes for their children are unsupported. But, because he just knows homosexuality is wrong, it's okay for him to use arguments that he knows are shitty to support that conclusion).

Old 04-11-2017, 01:01 AM   #7668
Disco King
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: "The worst poster on this board by far." -- The worst poster on this board by far

Also, in the "another man's wife" thing.

I think it's a sign of how society treats women that transgressions against them are seen as transgressions against whichever men are connected to them ("he attacked somebody's wife or daughter" rather than "he attacked somebody"). But I think a case could be made that Trots wasn't engaging in that sort of speech.

I mean, if two people engage in an adulterous relationship, neither of them are really violating each other, so long as it is consensual. But the adulterer's unaware partner could definitely be seen as the victim of the act. So, if one were trying to highlight the wrongness of somebody's intention to commit adultery, it would make sense to frame it in terms of how it is an affront to the unaware partner, rather than the willing partner. Had Took been interested in the male, the sentence could have easily been "maybe you shouldn't fuck another woman's husband."

This is just me interpreting Trot's comment in the most charitable possible light. Of course, I can't say what the intentions or effect of the statements were, so I'm also not trying to dismiss the valid observations that it could very well be a sexist statement.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:26 AM   #7669
reprise85
Submortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco King View Post
Some of the readings we did in my philosophy of mind course offered accounts of self-deception.

I dunno, Beltey and those who argue like he does are very disingenuous, and it's hard for me to believe that they don't know what they are doing when they engage in mental gymnastics and very poor argumentation. I think that some part of us recognizes when we engage in motivated reasoning and special pleading.

But they probably still see what they are doing as "correct" in the sense that their use of deception is justified so long as the cause is worthy (Beltey legit believes homosexuality is wrong, but knows that, say, his arguments that gay parents produce negative outcomes for their children are unsupported. But, because he just knows homosexuality is wrong, it's okay for him to use arguments that he knows are shitty to support that conclusion).
He knows they are unsupported, but not because it's true that they don't produce negative outcomes. The studies are just biased.

Also, self-deception is the best way to deceive others because you can't betray yourself as a liar if you don't think you're lying

Old 04-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #7670
LaBelle
Minion of Satan

The only negative outcome I can think of coming from gay parents (assuming they are good parents in the first place), is that the kid's classmates would probably ridicule and bully them if they found out.

Children are evil.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 AM   #7671
LaBelle
Minion of Satan

I've used self deception in varying degrees over the years in order to convince myself I was happy all along.

Well, at least I can recognize a lot of it in retrospect now.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:26 AM   #7672
ohnoitsbonnie
sperzie ✩ bonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBelle View Post
The only negative outcome I can think of coming from gay parents (assuming they are good parents in the first place), is that the kid's classmates would probably ridicule and bully them if they found out.

Children are evil.
They're not. Children take on their parents' biases thru no fault of their own

Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #7673
LaBelle
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie View Post
They're not. Children take on their parents' biases thru no fault of their own
Sure, either parents or influenced by group behavior.

Children are cruel though, they sniff out and go after whatever perceived weakness they find.