Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-04-2006, 01:26 PM   #1
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Unhappy Second mass dog slaughter in China

Second mass dog slaughter in China

http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/WORLD/as...na.dogs.ap.jpg

SHANGHAI, China (AP) -- For the second time in days, Chinese authorities have ordered a mass slaughter of dogs to curb a rabies outbreak -- drawing criticism from animal lovers but also support from many who say it's the only way to contain a disease that kills more than 2,000 Chinese a year.

Officials in the eastern city of Jining plan to kill all dogs within three miles of areas where rabies has been found, the official Xinhua News Agency said Friday.

The measure came in response to the deaths of 16 people from rabies in Jining in the last eight months, Xinhua said. It didn't say when the slaughter would begin or how the animals would be killed. It said the city had about 500,000 dogs.

Rabies cases are on the rise in China, with 2,651 reported deaths from the disease in 2004, the last year for which data was available. Only 3 percent of the country's dogs are vaccinated against rabies.

Last week, a county in southwestern Yunnan province killed 50,000 dogs, many of them beaten to death in front of their owners, after three people died of rabies.

The slaughters have outraged animal rights groups, who call them cruel and a sign of government incompetence in dealing with rabies, an often fatal disease that attacks the nervous system but which can be warded off with a series of injections.

"I think this is completely insane," said Zhang Luping, founder of the Beijing Human and Animal Environmental Education Center.

"What's more, this really damages our national image and sets a really bad example to show how lazy and inconsiderate those local government officials are," Zhang said.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called such killings a "hideously cruel response," in a statement on its Web site.

After last week's slaughter, the group canceled about $300,000 orders for merchandise made in China and called for a boycott of Chinese-made products to protest what it calls widespread cruelty to animals in the country.

The killings in Yunnan prompted unusually pointed criticism in state media, with many commentators saying it signaled how little capacity the local government had to deal with routine health issues.

Other slaughters have been reported elsewhere in China this year, although the government says it has no standard policy of destroying dogs.

Zhang, the founder of the Beijing education center, said there were no laws under which citizens could stop the killings. However, she said she and other animal protection activists were reaching out through the media to try to change policy.

"I think this brutal and cold-blooded campaign should stop as soon as possible," Zhang said.

People who answered the phone at Jining's city government and the epidemic control center refused to comment or said they weren't authorized to release information to the media.

The World Health Organization has not directly criticized the slaughters, but WHO experts have said they underscore a lack of coordination and other problems within China's health care system.

The killings have also prompted a slew of impassioned postings in online forums.

"Tens of thousands of people die in traffic accidents each year, but we don't ban cars. Dogs are simply easy to persecute," said one unsigned posting on Xinhua's electronic bulletin board.

"People opposed to killing dogs ought to think how they'd feel if they or a relative was infected with rabies. Are people's or dogs' lives more important?" said another, also unsigned.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:43 PM   #2
GlasgowKiss
Quaid Hates You

This could really help alleviate the famine in North Korea.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Aw, Craig, you always find the good in the bad.

Old 08-04-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
Nimrod's Son
Master of Karate and Friendship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplane
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals called such killings a "hideously cruel response," in a statement on its Web site.

After last week's slaughter, the group canceled about $300,000 orders for merchandise made in China and called for a boycott of Chinese-made products to protest what it calls widespread cruelty to animals in the country.
PETA shows its true colors once again. Human Rights violations? No problem. Kill some dogs? Now you've lost our business!

Old 08-04-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

i agree that PETA has some of their priorities screwed up . . .

if they were based in Iran, they'd be considered terrorists. har har.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:24 PM   #6
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

take that krazee, ya crazy bitch!!!

Old 08-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #7
KrazeeStacee

I couldn't read past this part

"Last week, a county in southwestern Yunnan province killed 50,000 dogs, many of them beaten to death in front of their owners, after three people died of rabies."

So forgive me if the obvious has already been stated but if only 3% of dogs are vaccinated for rabies - WHY THE FUCK DON'T THEY WORK ON THAT INSTEAD?! It's a law to have your dog vaccinated yearly, and much display a tag around it's neck stating it's had it's rabies vaccination - I mean it's not rocket science.

Dumb fucking bastards - lets go ahead and slaughter them, beating their kids to death in front of them. I would surely get some enjoyment from that.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

i must say though - what's the point of beating them to death . . . IN FRONT OF THEIR OWNERS? that makes no sense whatsoever. it's like a serial killer's fantasy.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
KrazeeStacee

Quote:
Originally Posted by big white horse hung
take that krazee, ya crazy bitch!!!
I hope someday a big rott takes half of your face off.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
KrazeeStacee

One with rabies of course.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:34 PM   #11
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

Old 08-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #12
KrazeeStacee

Or even fuck, some country that's a little more civilized - how about sending over some proper euthanasia? You know, so they don't have to act like fucking monkeys and beat the dogs to death?

Jesus fucking christ I can't even think about this anymore it's making me so mad. I didn't want to read about it on the dog forums and damn you Aeroplane for telling me to read this ridiculous, embarrasing, sadistic shit.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #13
Aeroplane
Minion of Satan

i thought you'd want to know

Old 08-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #14
KrazeeStacee

No it's cool. It's good that I know but this shit just makes me wanna puke.

You know.

=\

Old 08-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #15
ohnoitsbonnie
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son
PETA shows its true colors once again. Human Rights violations? No problem. Kill some dogs? Now you've lost our business!
Maybe because PETA is an animal rights group. The A stands for ''animals'' there, Nimrod. It's not at all incomprehensible that people sympathize with the plight of animals over the plight of humans.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #16
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Nah, its just pretty stupid.

Old 08-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #17
Esty
Netphorian of the Decade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie
Maybe because PETA is an animal rights group. The A stands for ''animals'' there, Nimrod. It's not at all incomprehensible that people sympathize with the plight of animals over the plight of humans.
I'd gladly give up your life for the dogs over there.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #18
KrazeeStacee

I sure as hell care more about animals than people. Even *gasp* babies!

Animals are a LOT better than people in so many ways...I'd kill a baby to save a dog if I had to.

How terrible of me.

Old 08-04-2006, 08:32 PM   #19
jared
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
why would peta be quoted in a human rights article?

Old 08-04-2006, 11:56 PM   #20
Hillzy
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Posting Rules You may post new threads You may post replies You may post attachments You may edit your posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeStacee
Animals are a LOT better than people in so many ways...I'd kill a baby to save a dog if I had to.
I'm a animal lover and I especially love my dogs but this is not rational. Dogs are only "better" because they don't have the means to be worse.

Old 08-05-2006, 01:07 AM   #21
KrazeeStacee

I think they're truly better in a lot of ways - ways that matter to me and make sense. But that's got nothing to do with this thread so I'll leave it at that.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:00 AM   #22
Hillzy
Apocalyptic Poster

Location: Posting Rules You may post new threads You may post replies You may post attachments You may edit your posts

Can't argue with that.

Old 08-05-2006, 02:39 AM   #23
Fathoms (unadored)
Apocalyptic Poster

China fucking blows. This whole fucking world blows. I wish I never had to read another headline again.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:36 AM   #24
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsbonnie
Yes, they ignore human rights violations but get all upset when there's something involving animals. I know they're an animal rights group, that's not the point. It's further demonstration that PETA cares more about the rights of animals than humans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazeeStacee
I sure as hell care more about animals than people. Even *gasp* babies!

How terrible of me.
No, how stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jared
why would peta be quoted in a human rights article?
Well, they wouldn't be. But that doesn't change the fact that they're willing to trade with a country with a huge history of human rights violations.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:44 AM   #25
Thaniel Buckner
Minion of Satan

Quote:
It's further demonstration that PETA cares more about the rights of animals than humans.
Why do you care so much about Peta.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:51 AM   #26
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel Buckner
Why do you care so much about Peta.
I owuldn't if they'd stop acting like a bunch of assholes

Why does everyone care so much about FOX News?

Old 08-05-2006, 06:53 AM   #27
spa ced
Braindead

Quote:
Yes, they ignore human rights violations but get all upset when there's something involving animals. I know they're an animal rights group, that's not the point. It's further demonstration that PETA cares more about the rights of animals than humans.
so? humans have dozens of humanitarian agencies to assist them already. let the animals have their one or two.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:57 AM   #28
Nimrod's Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by spa ced
so? humans have dozens of humanitarian agencies to assist them already. let the animals have their one or two.
I think you're missing the point.

I'm just saying that it's silly to all olf a sudden cut off trade with a country known for human rights atrocities because of animal right violations

They shouldn't do business at all

Old 08-05-2006, 07:01 AM   #29
spa ced
Braindead

deleted for repetition.

Old 08-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #30
spa ced
Braindead

Quote:
I think you're missing the point.

I'm just saying that it's silly to all olf a sudden cut off trade with a country known for human rights atrocities because of animal right violations

They shouldn't do business at all
No I think you're missing the point. If they're an animal rights organization...it makes sense that it would take a huge offense against animal rights for them to stop trading with a country.