Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Smashing Pumpkins Boards > Smashing Pumpkins/Billy Corgan Discussion
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Default Cyrgan to be on Howard Stern 12/1

Looking forward to hearing this interview. Sorta

NOTES:

Howard asked BC about Chris Cornell. BC stated they had a falling out (but nothing happened) and that he was upset that they didn't patch it up before he died. BC's theory of why Chris committed suicide was admittedly his own version, but essentially Chris was performing to lesser audiences and "not what I signed up for" and couldn't go on or reconcile the value in staying alive. BC said he has looked in the mirror 1000 times and had the same conversation.

BC interviewed EVHalen early in his career. It lasted 4 hours and was a 10/10 experience.

Thoughts on Metallica. Began listening to them when he was kicked out of his house by his stepmother for not talking to her for a few weeks. Drove her mad so he went to live with a drug dealer who liked Metallica. Remembered seeing them live before they became really big and was in awe of their talent.

Howard requests BC play Disarm. BC does convincing rendition, a little consonant droppy, but good for a zoom call. BC did not call Howard a zombie or tell him he was living in the past.

BC said he is bad at remembering lyrics so has to review a little before tours/shows.

Howard brings up SD, says BC is a perfectionist and super talented. BC doesn't deny, but says people like Elton John don't have to work as hard as him in the studio. It took a lot out of him. Howard brings up Courtney Love claiming SD is about her, BC responds that's not true, but also is true, and about his wife and also about women he has yet to meet.

Howard asks if BC was involved in videos and BC says he "fought hard" for most of videos to reflect his vision. Most concepts are his, but not BWBW.

Howard asks about meeting your idols (Hendrix for Stern). BC says he has and has been disappointed by some (no names).

Beatles' Nowhere Man is discussed as a song BC loves.

Talks a little about the reason he does what he does is to defy people who tell him who to be, how to act, how to sing, etc. He wants to do it his way.

Discuss Pink Floyd, specifically Wish You Were Here. BC says it's the first song he can remember that made him feel like it was speaking directly to him at age 17. He wished he wrote it and it got him through his Grandma's death.

BC plays Wish You Were Here.

Covid - BC comments it's hard to know what is the truth these days. He's hopeful at the end of the pandemic that a new wave of good music is spawned.

Regis Philban and Kathy Lee. BC does interview back in 90s. BC says he wrote 1979 riff while watching their show, he called R+K Live to book his appearance, and claimed Kathy Lee was hitting on him mid-way through the interview.

Black Sabbath is BC's favorite band of all time. Also discuss talent of Perry Ferell from Jane's Addiction.

CYR, bummer they can't tour with it. Was all recorded before covid, not influenced by pandemic at all. Stern loves CYR (of course).

BC plays Birch Grove after explaining that it's meant to be a song for his kids. "I'm 53 with a 5 and 2 year old. Are they going to grow up without me? It's a card from Dad, a roadmap, a card to review after I'm gone saying this is what I'm about". Says he knows the lyrics are obtuse.

BC plays Birch Grove.

Howard plays Superman's Dead by Our Lady Peace and asks BC if he feels ripped off by them borrowing SP sound. BC says no, says he's cool with it if the bands give proper credit. Relays story about OLP inviting SP to a festival in Canada? , but the festival was put on by OLP. Band kindly asked SP to not be the headliner, BC agrees but says he will play the shit out of his set, all the greatest hits, make him regret ever thinking his band was better than SP. OLP said ok, you can headline.

Eddie Vedder was on Stern show recently. BC says he doesn't get along with Eddie, no further comment. Talk about show to honor Bowie, BC will play Space Oddity and he admits he full on does not get along with Trent Reznor. Does not like him, Trent doesn't like BC.

Goes on rant about celebrities persona and he's not willing to play that game. "That's where I draw the line". He feels like he grew up with these people or knows them behind closed doors so he will not treat them differently as fame changes their personalities.

Was a little talk sprinkled in about how the fans are always telling him what to do and he is over it and take Neil Young's advice that anything you release will be very meaningful to someone.

Last edited by Oklahoma Sexual : 12-02-2020 at 03:20 AM.

Old 11-30-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
FoolofaTook
Just Hook it to My Veins!

Old 11-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #3
VoxUpDoc
Apocalyptic Poster

I predict bullshit and cringe!

Old 11-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Yes, I also predict Stern feeding Corgan's ego, calling him a genius, bitching about the HoF, and saying Cyr is amazing

Old 11-30-2020, 11:56 AM   #5
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
Yes, I also predict Stern feeding Corgan's ego, calling him a genius, bitching about the HoF, and saying Cyr is amazing
That’s Stern’s genius, though. He pads Billy’s ego for a bit, which warms Billy up, then slips in a question about Billy taking it up the butt when he was 17, or how about how he still hates James for writing all the genius parts of Siamese Dream.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #6
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyngel View Post
Billy taking it up the butt when he was 17

Not sure if this hyperbole is intended as a joke or a diss on Howard Stern or big willie or who it’s for, but

Uh

Old 11-30-2020, 12:23 PM   #7
Reyngel
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run To Me View Post

Not sure if this hyperbole is intended as a joke or a diss on Howard Stern or big willie or who it’s for, but

Uh
Have you never listened to Howard Stern before? That’s the type of question he asks everyone—but only after he coaxes them into feeling at ease.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:32 PM   #8
FoolofaTook

Quote:
Have you never listened to Howard Stern before?
No.

Old 11-30-2020, 12:58 PM   #9
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Have you never listened to Howard Stern before? That’s the type of question he asks everyone—but only after he coaxes them into feeling at ease.
Heard a little bit of stern. Thought it was more like “tell me about that time u farted live on Oprah’s couch” vs. “tell my audience of immature men about the time u were anally raped as a child”

But maybe he’s pivoted formats?

Old 11-30-2020, 07:58 PM   #10
houseofglass11
Minion of Satan

Quote:
That’s Stern’s genius, though. He pads Billy’s ego for a bit, which warms Billy up, then slips in a question about Billy taking it up the butt when he was 17, or how about how he still hates James for writing all the genius parts of Siamese Dream.
Yeah he always does that. Butters him up and then is like "c'mon dude we both know Courtney killed Kurt. You know don't you, spill the beans"

Old 12-01-2020, 01:45 AM   #11
YA5H
Demi-God

Quote:
Billy's not an idiot though. As big as his ego is there's no way he doesn't know what Stern is doing. He takes the bate willingly but also knowing it is inflated bs and rides it all the way to more album sales. He plays the game. It's obvious to most listeners. I refuse to believe that anyone let alone someone with the intellect of Corgan is that naive.

Old 12-01-2020, 02:06 PM   #12
run2pee
Minion of Satan

Quote:
Originally Posted by YA5H View Post
He takes the bate willingly

Old 12-01-2020, 11:58 PM   #13
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I predict bullshit and cringe!
lots of BS, not too cringey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklahoma Sexual View Post
Yes, yes, yes, yes

Old 11-30-2020, 12:16 PM   #14
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

it wasn't a hyperbole it was a hypothetical

which you know this place is ******* obsessed with

Old 11-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #15
LoveIsSuicide42
Demi-God

I will listen to this. I can't remember if it was around the release of Oceania or Monuments, but I will never get over Howard telling Billy that he has "the voice of an angel" on a previous interview.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:14 PM   #16
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

both are definitely the type of questions Stern's been known to ask. maybe not so much anymore but at some point in time there were no limits whatsoever

Old 11-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #17
themadcaplaughs
Apocalyptic Poster

Stern provides value to the folks who go on his show. I remember an interview with Corgan where he specifically stated that (at the time) "Violet Rays" was by far the biggest selling song from Oceania on iTunes because Howard played it on air.

Billy will not leave a dime on the table. It's very telling that Billy rants and raves on Instagram about how he deserves respect and will not associate with anyone who perpetuates "negativity", yet that video of Stern surfaced a few years ago where he talked about what a nobody Billy Corgan was for years, and Billy said he was cool with it. He wouldn't do anything to risk the most mainstream exposure this substandard album will receive.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #18
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
that video of Stern surfaced a few years ago where he talked about what a nobody Billy Corgan was for years, and Billy said he was cool with it

ohh that sounds like fun, is there a link to this?

Old 11-30-2020, 03:30 PM   #19
Oklahoma Sexual
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wHATcOLOR View Post
ohh that sounds like fun, is there a link to this?

it's mainly this

Old 12-01-2020, 10:24 PM   #20
srt4b
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadcaplaughs View Post
Stern provides value to the folks who go on his show. I remember an interview with Corgan where he specifically stated that (at the time) "Violet Rays" was by far the biggest selling song from Oceania on iTunes because Howard played it on air.

Billy will not leave a dime on the table. It's very telling that Billy rants and raves on Instagram about how he deserves respect and will not associate with anyone who perpetuates "negativity", yet that video of Stern surfaced a few years ago where he talked about what a nobody Billy Corgan was for years, and Billy said he was cool with it. He wouldn't do anything to risk the most mainstream exposure this substandard album will receive.
is this shit your job?

Old 12-01-2020, 10:28 PM   #21
FoolofaTook

Coincidentally, your dad asked me the same thing last night.

Old 11-30-2020, 03:58 PM   #22
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

i always felt like the Stern thing was tongue in cheek

Old 11-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #23
wHATcOLOR
THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Location: || MY NAME IS KIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIID ROCK!!

thanks for the link!

having listened to the whole thing, that seems like a non-story. here are the quotes involving bill:

"8:00 people like billy corgan come on and their album goes into the top 10

10:05 billy corgan's album went into the top 10. he was off the radar until us, you know this, this is fact. billy corgan was off the radar, he came on our show and he sold albums. how does every record company in the world not know about this?

13:08 we made billy corgan relatable to our audience

16:32 show them a production piece that tells a success story like billy corgan's, him selling those records"

i listened to the whole thing because i found the style of his talk fascinating.. he's driving at mostly reasonable points sound business fundamentals. but the way he's doing it was... neither impressive nor sophisticated. he basically browbeat his staff for being a bunch of lazy schlubs. which may be true for all i know, i don't listen to his show, but he hired them and he manages them, presumably. if they don't do the things that seem like basic professionalism, that's on him too. he was basically saying, you guys suck! we need to stop sucking and do these other things! i don't know, it was interesting, it made it seem like total amateur hour over there

Old 11-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #24
slunken
Virgo

billy spent all kinds of money and cashed in a lot of chips to do a mega-round of interviews, huh?

Old 12-01-2020, 01:59 AM   #25
Big Truck05
Apocalyptic Poster

It will be great. Howard has a great rapport with Billy. And Howard knows how to interview people in a way that brings things out. Looking forward to it.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:45 AM   #26
bright_doom
Apocalyptic Poster

Hey, if anyone could send me a privatised message of the interview I would be a very bright doom.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:51 AM   #27
Ram27
dumb

same

Old 12-01-2020, 12:28 PM   #28
patj825
Pledge

same

Old 12-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #29
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

Old 12-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #30
Joey Goldberg
Minion of Satan

so Stern in Fallon in one day huh?

that is a very busy, very NAKED lord we've got on our hands!