Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > General Chat Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2015, 04:43 AM   #61
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixnix View Post
And I had all the usual middle class trimmings like private music tuition and horse riding lessons and tennis club memberships and good schools and holidays and nights or at the symphony and ballet and weeks at the family holiday house up the coast, because my grandparents made sure that all of their grandkids had that.
I'd laugh but I'm vomiting blood from the sheer pressure of all that unchecked privilege.

If anyone seriously needs evidence that vix isn't just a trust fund kid with the personality of Eeyore just remember that her rise to netpho infamy began with a post about sending her kids to a different school to avoid the "Hoi Polloi"

Old 07-01-2015, 05:10 AM   #62
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

It's not unchecked though - i know very well how privileged I am. Some of my holidays were taken in government housing because it's where my mum's family lived (well, some of them). I had a cousin show me how to shoplift when I was 10. He was a year older than me, but his mum (my aunt) had given birth to him and them dumped him with my nana, and run off with some guy (in a family of 9 children, some are good, some not so good. May my aunt rest in peace, she was not what you'd call an "attentive mother"). This same cousin was in jail by the time we were 18, for drug charges. He committed suicide the year I met my husband.

I know how far up and how far down the privilege continuum goes. I hate how much more I have been given, than my cousins, just because my mum married my dad, and not another Samoan guy. I don't know if you can imagine how much I hate that.

I made that comment about the hoi poloi in jest. Of course I don't think that about people. I am the hoi poloi. It was a comment made for entertainment's sake. I guess you didn't find it entertaining and I'm sorry.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #63
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

I might believe you if you hadn't spent several pages of that thread trying to justify your disdain for the working classes. Honest to god vix it's so fucking transparent when you inadvertently show off your snide privileged hypocrisy and then as soon as people call you on your horseshit attitude you claim you were being satirical or playing devils advocate. But hey thanks for giving me some insight into the lies the born-to-rules tell themselves and each other to justify their life of comfort.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:10 AM   #64
Cool As Ice Cream
Just Hook it to My Veins!

"we're not rich. my parents only own three houses. that's not rich-rich."

Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #65
Cool As Ice Cream

"my cousin wasn't well off. that makes me middle class, despite all the upper class privileges at home."

Old 07-01-2015, 07:51 AM   #66
Cool As Ice Cream

DO YOU KNOW ANYONE WITH CABLE JUMPERS?

Old 07-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #67
Cool As Ice Cream

BANANA?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:08 AM   #68
vixnix
Socialphobic

Location: we are champions, bathed in the heat of a thousand flame wars in the grim future of the internet there is only netphoria

why do you guise gaslight me so hard

Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #69
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

I thought this thread title was a botched Seńor Dingdong quote.

Last edited by duovamp : 07-01-2015 at 08:45 AM.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:12 AM   #70
Eulogy
huh

Quote:
What do you consider them to be then?
Vixnix you cannot be serious

Old 07-01-2015, 08:13 AM   #71
Eulogy
huh

Then again people tend to have wildly varying definitions of middle class, don't they? Did I make this up or did I read some thing where people who are lower than middle and higher than middle still call themselves middle class

The way american politics uses it has made it a pretty useless term

Old 07-01-2015, 08:20 AM   #72
vixnix
Socialphobic

I don't even know anymore.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:42 AM   #73
Cool As Ice Cream

Quote:
wtf
shut the fuck up or i'll gaslight your face

Old 07-01-2015, 08:50 AM   #74
duovamp
Brazilian Blouselord

T. Rekt

Old 07-01-2015, 09:04 AM   #75
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Let's fight about every goddamned thing!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #76
Cool As Ice Cream

fight fight fight

Old 07-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #77
MyOneAndOnly
Shut the fuck up!

I keep a handful of emergency items in both cars. Jumper Cables, a flashlight, two space blankets, a pair of gloves and two winter caps, a couple of candy bars or energy bars and two bottles of water. in the winter I also throw a blanket in the truck and a folding snow shovel. Other than the Jumper cables the rest of it is in case we were to get stranded somewhere in the winter.

When I had my truck I also had a heavy duty alternator hooked up to a heavy duty battery. It also had an inverter and a secondary battery pack, which could charge my phone, laptop or even run led lights for several days. I used the secondary battery pack several times to jump start cars for people when we were on the road.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #78
sppunk
Netphoria's George Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottytheoneand View Post
I keep a handful of emergency items in both cars. Jumper Cables, a flashlight, two space blankets, a pair of gloves and two winter caps, a couple of candy bars or energy bars and two bottles of water. in the winter I also throw a blanket in the truck and a folding snow shovel. Other than the Jumper cables the rest of it is in case we were to get stranded somewhere in the winter.

When I had my truck I also had a heavy duty alternator and battery and an inverter, which
We have all that too, hopefully never use it. I keep a foldable snow shovel at all times and on snowy days we put real snow shovels in.

We also have a bunch of LED flares. Those are fun.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #79
Sonic Johnny
Through Silver In Buds

Quote:
because you're a pretty much flawless totem of the kind of coddled oblivious middle/upper class first world ignorant privilege that silently facilitates the systemic destruction of civilisation by multinational corporate greed by way of having your tacit cooperation bought with the rudimentary "luxury" of rental cars, holiday homes and private music tuition.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:42 AM   #80
buzzard
Minion of Satan

Just think of all those people in the slums of Mumbai that have to make do with teaching themselves how to play the piano. Imagine all the other awkward compromises, too, like laminate marble countertops, public healthcare, and generic cola. The horror.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:50 AM   #81
Cool As Ice Cream

hey they could always choose not to have any cola at all i know i would lol i have standers

Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 AM   #82
FoolofaTook

Quote:
I don't even know anymore.
me neither. that's why i am a nihilist.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 AM   #83
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."
Red face

Quote:
. And I had all the usual middle class trimmings like private music tuition and horse riding lessons and tennis club memberships and good schools and holidays and nights or at the symphony and ballet and weeks at the family holiday house up the coast, because my grandparents made sure that all of their grandkids had that. r .
you're trolling right? that is NOT middle class trimmings. WTF. That's all upper class shit.

pirvate music tuition? horse riding? tennis? symphony? ballet? I was raised mainly around other middle class kids, guess how many had any of those? none. And sure i lived in the boonies but that stands for anyone middle class in my family who lived in the city which all are pretty much from middle class. cousins and such. Oh wait, i know one who had private school and music lessons and such, upper class too. Or at least very upper middle class....pretty sure they're millionaires in assets anyway

Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 AM   #84
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

well as mentioned before - what people call middle or upper class varies.

I wouldn't call this "standard middle upbringing" - but I did not grow up upper class in my parts, far from it - and had all that shit, too.

learning an instrument, ballet, horse riding, the whole shitfest. in my parts it was considered middle class. as say kids I went to school with who were upper class: while I LEARNED that shit, their parents owned it. like they had their own horse(s), their private music teacher, and so forth.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 AM   #85
pavementtune

Location: I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.

to answer the topic question:
I grew up without a car in the family, never needed one, never made my license, until after college. didn't know shit about jumper cables, didn't have any either.

until well the car died on the road and it became very clear I should. had them in any car I drive ever since.

but vix - your husband drives, right? haven't you seen the basics what you have in a car by now - and how you handle them?

Old 07-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #86
vixnix
Socialphobic

I think it depends on the values of a family, too. My family values education, so they're more likely to spend money on educating their children (and music, horse riding, tennis, all fall under that general "education" umbrella) than buying an investment property or driving a nice car or renovating a kitchen that wasn't in a state of disrepair. Actually my parents live in a house with a kitchen that can barely be said to function, but because they can't agree on what to replace it with, it just sits there half ripped out, and they live on casseroles.

My parents also hate debt, so they've never bought a car using a loan. They never used savings to buy a car either. So we only ever had cars that they could buy with the money in their transaction account. Shitbombs, basically.

So there's a lot about my family that is not upper class. From my experience, upper class people are much more comfortable with debt, and large amounts of debt. Part of what makes you middle class is having parents whose goal was to pay off their house and save for their retirement and have a bit left to pass on to you, as opposed to buying up a bunch of rental properties and stocks so that they can retire early and play golf everyday.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:30 AM   #87
The exploding boy
Minion of Satan

Location: "I'm a quivering collection of the worst and least helpful emotions: fear, anxiety, terror, paranoia, indigestion, dishpan hands..."

I'd call this at worst upper middle class trimmings in NA. it's usually people who want to pretend they're upper class anyway.

Mind you i know M got to ride horses and did ballet and her family was definitely lower class. But again i think it goes back to wanting to make up for shit like not having a stable environment and loving parents. Also the riding thing was kinda circumstantial. Knew people and stuff.

as for jumper cables, it seems to me i've known what they were for as long as i've known cars.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:32 AM   #88
vixnix
Socialphobic

pave yeah that's probably part of the problem, I've just left all that stuff to him until now. I need to get to know this stuff better.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #89
pavementtune

Quote:
pave yeah that's probably part of the problem, I've just left all that stuff to him until now. I need to get to know this stuff better.
yea plus it's actually fun plus you'll freak less. once you know THAT you know what to do in xy situation, driving by yourself gets is a lot more chill. so flat tire? car dies? kids yelling in the back?
you won't stress about it so much once you know what to do.

Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM   #90
hnibos
Braindead

i had a pool growing up, and a playstation one. i remember my brother playing ff7 on it. shortly after i got an n64. i got an xbox the year it came out for christmas. we ate out at least once every week. it was my dads rule. my mom spoiled me with the clothes i wanted and we had 2 cars.....

But i grew up in pine hills. which is the ghetto of orlando. all my friends were underprivileged minorities. and my parents worked a lot, and the dumbest purchases they made was buying me a video game. we were lower middle. until my dad hit it big. then we were def middle. but anways, reading the first paragraph you'd think we were well off. i mean, we weren't eating shit, but we lived in pine hills.