Netphoria Message Board

Go Back   Netphoria Message Board > Archives > Pumpkins Archive
Register Netphoria's Amazon.com Link Members List

Old 08-04-2005, 11:19 AM   #151
Pmack
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by Richard D. James
Dave, don't sell it man. Although it stays in a box and you hardly pull it out, it still signifies a passion that you once had in your life and memories. There are probably not many bands you would fly to see...even though I could be wrong.
While that's absolutely true, it's approaching the point where it's more likely that they might get damaged in some way.

True story: A few years back, out of the blue, Billy sent me two cassette boxes from when he was making Marked tapes. These were those big, bulky plastic-and-vinyl double-sided cases that held around 60 cassettes each. They were covered in stickers, and had his handwriting all over them. One had "Marked tapes 1-45" or something like that on it. It was clearly where he stored his demo tapes while he was making them.

So he sent them to me, and while I appreciated the idea that he thought I would want them, I immediately wondered a) what the hell I was going to do with them and b) how I was going to store them.

I ruled out selling them because I thought that would be tacky, so I just put them in a box and stuffed them in my closet. Between then and now, I bought a house, so they ended up going into the basement.

I forgot all about them until I ran across the box about a year ago. The box they were in was under another box that was heavier, and they got crushed. They were unsalvageable for anything, so I was forced to just throw them away. I felt bad because while I had no use for them, I'm sure someone else would have liked them for their collection.

I think about this when I think about my M2.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:21 AM   #152
stellawasadiver
Ownz

well maybe you could have like a contest or something and give them away.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:23 AM   #153
dean moriaty
lion of saloons

Quote:
Originally posted by Pumpkins23836

If someone wants me to call the person, I'll do so, but I'm only doing it once so figure out what exactly you want me to ask.
as a potential bidder i'd really appreciate that.

things i'd like to know:

is it numbered? if so which number.

was it given to them direct? if so what's the connection? (you say pr or teacher, both of those are reasonable enough for connections with the school gig and everything)
if not then who was given it

what condition are the discs themselves in? (the discs will be more fragile and prone to scratches than normal vinyl releases)

have it been played much?

as i say i would appreciate it. i just hope a load of people don't get the info and pester the seller....

Old 08-04-2005, 11:24 AM   #154
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally posted by Pmack

I forgot all about them until I ran across the box about a year ago. The box they were in was under another box that was heavier, and they got crushed. They were unsalvageable for anything, so I was forced to just throw them away. I felt bad because while I had no use for them, I'm sure someone else would have liked them for their collection.

I think about this when I think about my M2.
With all due respect, if I had a copy of something as rare as M2 or a bunch of Marked demo tapes, I'd probably rent me a fire-proof safe deposit box and store it in there. I mean, even if you don't personally care that much for the item(s), it's a collectable and you're sort of foolish to leave something that has such a quantifable cash value (not to mention the sentimental value or value to "the community") lying around your basement.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:25 AM   #155
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally posted by dean moriaty

as i say i would appreciate it. i just hope a load of people don't get the info and pester the seller....
From reading ebay, you do have to be the high bidder to get that particular contact info (although anyone can email a question), so hopefully between that and me asking and posting the responses, we can all act like adults.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:27 AM   #156
Pmack
Demi-God

Quote:
If Dave wants the info, he can PM me and I'll tell him since it was his idea.
Don't post the contact info.

I don't want the info because I am not going to call, but if you do, don't pester the person with annoying questions. Don't ask them why they're selling it-- it's none of your business.

You should try and verify the authenticity by asking specific questions about the record.

Some suggestions:
- Ask what number it is.
- Ask where it is numbered.
- Ask what the labels look like.
- Ask them to describe the "plastic covering" on the records.

I will verify any information you get and let you know if it squares with my copy.

- Dave

Old 08-04-2005, 11:30 AM   #157
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Don't ask them why they're selling it-- it's none of your business.
I think that's a fair question. I mean, if they don't want to tell you, don't harass them about it... but saying "Just out of curiosity, what made you decide to get rid of it?" is valid. But you're the one calling, so do what you want.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #158
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:

Don't post the contact info.

I don't want the info because I am not going to call, but if you do, don't pester the person with annoying questions. Don't ask them why they're selling it-- it's none of your business.

You should try and verify the authenticity by asking specific questions about the record.

Some suggestions:
- Ask what number it is.
- Ask where it is numbered.
- Ask what the labels look like.
- Ask them to describe the "plastic covering" on the records.

I will verify any information you get and let you know if it squares with my copy.
I wasn't going to post the contact info or ask why they were selling it. I was going to ask how they came into possession and if not from Billy directly if they can verify chain of ownership.

Do you mean "plastic covering" on the records themselves or the jackets?

Old 08-04-2005, 11:34 AM   #159
Pmack
Demi-God

Quote:
With all due respect, if I had a copy of something as rare as M2 or a bunch of Marked demo tapes, I'd probably rent me a fire-proof safe deposit box and store it in there.
A clarification: the boxes I described were not full of cassettes-- they were empty plastic boxes. I just found this on ebay, this is very similar to what they looked like, except the Billy ones were double sided:

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/9b/f0/05_1_b.JPG

http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/a2/8f/0e_1.JPG

Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #160
ammy
yer mom

they replied to me.

They are wrapped in wide strips of clear packaging tape (album covers). The eps are labeled CR01 through CR03 and the lp is labeled CR04 and each record is hand numbered. I hestitate to give out that particular number in fear of offending someone if it gets back to them that this is on ebay. Of course the buyer will know everything. I hope that help. Thanks for your interest.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:37 AM   #161
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:

A clarification: the boxes I described were not full of cassettes-- they were empty plastic boxes.
Oh, nevermind then.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:42 AM   #162
Pmack
Demi-God

Quote:
Do you mean "plastic covering" on the records themselves or the jackets?
That's the language they used; I'm talking about whatever they were talking about that kept them for providing good photos.

I am intentionally being vague here. It is important to be vigilant.

If it is a scam, they won't know the "right" answers, and I am hesitant to provide them in a public forum. You have no idea who is reading these messages, so if I post that the records are numbered in green marker on the back cover under the title, that's what a scammer not in possession of the record might tell you.

Once the record's authenticity has been established, you can post about it, but just be aware that next week there's probably going to be a flood of auctions for this record, all from people with the right answers looking to seperate you from your cash.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #163
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:

Once the record's authenticity has been established, you can post about it, but just be aware that next week there's probably going to be a flood of auctions for this record, all from people with the right answers looking to seperate you from your cash.
Maybe you could verify the authenticity privately, and just let the rest of the board know if it's real or not without divulging any specific information.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:50 AM   #164
Richard D. James
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by milandejong

I'm Milan, but of starla.org
Karl is the guy from spifc.org
Sorry to get you confused, no disrespect.

-GK

Old 08-04-2005, 11:57 AM   #165
lou
Pledge

hi,

i know i'm probably going to get a big sigh and/or virtual slap for this, but i've never had opporunity to be able to burn the mp3's to disk before so have never downloaded. As a result I also don't have the scanned artwork. Can anyone point me in the direction of where is best to access these... only asking as a lot of the original sources especially for the artwork, now seem to be defunct!! If i can't afford the vinyl then would at least like burn and make-up my own cd, or is there a better way of doing this.

finally... has anyone ever made a really good quality transfer from the original vinyl that we know of.

cheers, Lou

ps... on the info note... i agree! the problem with internet piccys and info on rarities means that whilst it may prove this time round to be the real deal, it only makes it easier for rip-off merchants to fake it next time around!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 12:01 PM   #166
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Talking

I can just see if a Netphorian wins this.

Winner: "Hey guyz! It just came in today, and it sounds fucking great! I'm listening to White Spider for the third time today!"

rest of us: "OMFG! He actually played it! Fucking moron!! *seppuku*"

Old 08-04-2005, 12:12 PM   #167
Future Boy
The Man of Tomorrow

Angry

Quote:
Originally posted by ammy
they replied to me.

They are wrapped in wide strips of clear packaging tape (album covers). The eps are labeled CR01 through CR03 and the lp is labeled CR04 and each record is hand numbered. I hestitate to give out that particular number in fear of offending someone if it gets back to them that this is on ebay. Of course the buyer will know everything. I hope that help. Thanks for your interest.
They never got back to me, but good info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #168
Pmack
Demi-God

Quote:
Originally posted by Quiet
Maybe you could verify the authenticity privately, and just let the rest of the board know if it's real or not without divulging any specific information.
That's what I'd like to do. Ammy posted some information received from the seller and I can't make any judgements yet. The information provided could have been gleaned from spfc and this thread. I need more clarification on one specific point.

Someone needs to ask for a better description of that packaging tape. It's very important.

Also, someone might want to ask if any of the records come with internal sleeves.

Tonight I will look my copy over for details that haven't generally been discussed online.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #169
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

I have called the seller, and they were very nice, and I've sent relevent info to Dave by PM, so hopefully he can give us something in the near future.

I will reveal this though, she said she'll give the winner 7 days to verify authenticity and they can return the item.

Her recounting of how she got it was, um, illuminating. If it's true, we missed something huge...

Old 08-04-2005, 12:52 PM   #170
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Her recounting of how she got it was, um, illuminating. If it's true, we missed something huge...
Can we have details about this if Dave says it doesn't matter? If not, that's okay too. You've peaked my interest!

Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #171
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Quote:
Originally posted by Quiet

Can we have details about this if Dave says it doesn't matter? If not, that's okay too. You've peaked my interest!
Eventually. It's one of those things where I've been on here for years, and never heard this mentioned, and I'm sure if it's true and Dave knows, it's the sort of detail that CONFIRMS it's real no doubt. And if it's real, I have no clue how none of us ever heard hide-or-hair of it before now.

Old 08-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #172
Netphorian Gadabout
The Broom of the System

Can anyone post a list of known numbers? Like we know so-and-so has number xx?

Old 08-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #173
stellawasadiver
Ownz

Quote:
Eventually. It's one of those things where I've been on here for years, and never heard this mentioned, and I'm sure if it's true and Dave knows, it's the sort of detail that CONFIRMS it's real no doubt. And if it's real, I have no clue how none of us ever heard hide-or-hair of it before now.
ooh man i want to hear this.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #174
lou
Pledge

missed something huge!!!

i know this is infinitely more interesting than my irritating plea. But, can some one purrrrlllllleeeeeeeeease point me in the right direction.

work's a bit slow and am quite keen to lovingly burn off a copy and make up my own CD of M2, even if it's only from mp3s...

thanks
x

Old 08-04-2005, 01:04 PM   #175
WalkingStrayz
Ownz

go to billy-corgan.com and get M2 there. its in mp3 format

Old 08-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #176
Quiet
Apocalyptic Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by WalkingStrayz
go to billy-corgan.com and get M2 there. its in mp3 format
Yeah. In fact, I highly recommend downloading and burning everything from billy-corgan.com.

Well, except maybe the poetry readings.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:14 PM   #177
List On Fork
Pledge

i actually saved this to my computer one time when it came up because i wanted to remember.

confirmed:

billy
james
d'arcy
jimmy
melissa m. (manager)
gooch
gregory sylvester
joe shanahan
karl daher / spifc
eric agnew / spfc
dave asselin
q101
wxrt
3 copies not given out

numbers known:
original band members - 1-4
gregory sylvester - 11

other guesses:
matt walker
butch vig
flood
alan moulder
jimmy/dennis flemion

melissa a.d.m. did NOT get a copy

Old 08-04-2005, 01:16 PM   #178
lou
Pledge

:jump

thank you!!!! although i had downloaded it from there previously and had problems, for some reason it wouldn't recognise it in my itunes so i couldn't burn from there. I'll try again though....
... i'm just happy that someone replied!!!!

thank you!!!!!

Old 08-04-2005, 01:33 PM   #179
seign
Apocalyptic Poster

Quote:
Originally posted by List On Fork
i actually saved this to my computer one time when it came up because i wanted to remember.

confirmed:

billy
james
d'arcy
jimmy
melissa m. (manager)
gooch
gregory sylvester
joe shanahan
karl daher / spifc
eric agnew / spfc
dave asselin
q101
wxrt
3 copies not given out

numbers known:
original band members - 1-4
gregory sylvester - 11

other guesses:
matt walker
butch vig
flood
alan moulder
jimmy/dennis flemion

melissa a.d.m. did NOT get a copy
That's the list I remember. Does anyone know how it was determined that Melissa didn't get a copy? Did she tell someone or did Billy tell someone? Either way, that's pretty messed up if it's true.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:34 PM   #180
Zerospaced
Apocalyptic Poster

Default B+P for Machina II

The first 5 people that PM me for this will get it... I will B+P 5 copies for those who need it....you have a choice of q101 rip, spifc rip or the virgin promo vinyl rip... i prefer the virgin rip... they are all non mp3 sourced so... if you want a copy of mII pm me.